PDA

View Full Version : BCM extractor kit

TXinfidel
05-05-13, 04:24
So I was installing a BCM kit on one of my guns the other day, on an extractor that already utilized an o'ring, only with a fairly weak spring. The gun has never given me any issues but I hear nothing but great things about the BCM kit. So I figured what the hell. Anyway upon installing it I litterally had to use pliers to squease the extractor against the bolt close enough to allow the pin to be reinserted. Is this normal? Also to add to it, the gun will no longer allow me to ride the charging handle when chambering a round. (spare me the tactical babble, its just something that I noticed that the gun never did before the BCM kit, nor do I ever charge a gun this way) Have not had a chance to shoot it yet, but would there be any issue to not using the Oring, and just using the beefier spring?

Iraqgunz
05-05-13, 04:45
You do not need the O-ring. And the riding the charging handle thing isn't tactical "babel". It breeds stupid habits and serves no purpose. I hope you at least use dummy ammo and not live rounds.

So I was installing a BCM kit on one of my guns the other day, on an extractor that already utilized an o'ring, only with a fairly weak spring. The gun has never given me any issues but I hear nothing but great things about the BCM kit. So I figured what the hell. Anyway upon installing it I litterally had to use pliers to squease the extractor against the bolt close enough to allow the pin to be reinserted. Is this normal? Also to add to it, the gun will no longer allow me to ride the charging handle when chambering a round. (spare me the tactical babble, its just something that I noticed that the gun never did before the BCM kit, nor do I ever charge a gun this way) Have not had a chance to shoot it yet, but would there be any issue to not using the Oring, and just using the beefier spring?

TXinfidel
05-05-13, 07:03
No, I used live duty ammunition at our agency's range and then tossed the chambered round out. Again, I never charge a weapon by riding the charging handle, it was just something I noticed, loading and extracting that round a few times like that purposely. But seeing as I highly respect your opinion on this matter, is it normal to have to use pliers to get the extractor mated back up with the bolt like that? Or is something probably wrong?

You do not need the O-ring. And the riding the charging handle thing isn't tactical "babel". It breeds stupid habits and serves no purpose. I hope you at least use dummy ammo and not live rounds.

michael word
05-05-13, 08:37
No, I used live duty ammunition at our agency's range and then tossed the chambered round out. Again, I never charge a weapon by riding the charging handle, it was just something I noticed, loading and extracting that round a few times like that purposely. But seeing as I highly respect your opinion on this matter, is it normal to have to use pliers to get the extractor mated back up with the bolt like that? Or is something probably wrong?

With the o-ring, yes. With the extra power spring, no. Just use the extra power spring with no o-ring.

SMJayman
05-05-13, 10:51
I have been using the o-ring for the past 5 years with no issue. Does it actually cause problems?

Chrisollis
05-06-13, 00:35
Interested in an answer to this as well.

Zane1844
05-06-13, 00:45
For me, it is very hard to get the extractor pin in on brand new BCM bolts. It is the same using their extractor kits. I guess I have weak figures.

D not worry, after a good number of rounds the pin goes in without effort.

Iraqgunz
05-06-13, 03:09
In some cases an O-ring can increase extractor tension which will prevent the extractor from snapping over the rim of the cartridge. In other cases it can cause a malfunction by putting too much pressure on the round during the extraction and ejection phase.

I have been using the o-ring for the past 5 years with no issue. Does it actually cause problems?

SWThomas
05-06-13, 08:15
My RGuns BCG came with the o-ring on the extractor spring. I've had no issues at all. It spits every spent cartridge in the same spot.

markm
05-06-13, 08:35
Throw the O ring out, CH rider! :nono:

Alex V
05-06-13, 09:35
I am using the o-ring on the upgrade kit I installed in my BM rifle, but have not installed them on 2 other rifles running full BCM bolt carrier groups.

Never had a problem either way. I figure the BM rifle needs all the help it can get. The other two guns have Noveske and Centurion and I have a feeling they don't need the help.

So scientific thoughts behind the decision to be honest.

Tactical Yeti
05-07-13, 15:40
May be a stupid question, but is "riding the charging handle" referring to using the charging handle to chamber a round instead using of the bolt catch release?

C4IGrant
05-07-13, 15:44

Normal. I am not a fan of the O-Ring UNLESS you are using a 10.5-11.5. Even then, it most likely isn't needed (as BCM extractor springs are stiff).

C4

jaxman7
05-07-13, 15:50
May be a stupid question, but is "riding the charging handle" referring to using the charging handle to chamber a round instead using of the bolt catch release?

Riding the CH is the same thing as riding the slide on a semi auto handgun. Your hand should not be following the forward motion of the handle or slide. Riding refers to your hand still in touch with the handle while it is traveling forward. Just like on a handgun, your support hand should still be in a rearward path while the handle reaches its rear most position (hand comes off) and then begins its return.

-Jax

Tactical Yeti
05-07-13, 15:54
Riding the CH is the same thing as riding the slide on a semi auto handgun. Your hand should not be following the forward motion of the handle or slide. Riding refers to your hand still in touch with the handle while it is traveling forward. Just like on a handgun, your support hand should still be in a rearward path while the handle reaches its rear most position and then begins to send the bolt back into battery.

-Jax

Thank you for the concise answer, Jax.

Chrisollis
05-07-13, 17:19
In some cases an O-ring can increase extractor tension which will prevent the extractor from snapping over the rim of the cartridge. In other cases it can cause a malfunction by putting too much pressure on the round during the extraction and ejection phase.

What kind of issues can it cause? My BCM M4 has been having some ejection issues lately. It's still ejecting with plenty of force in a nice pile at 3-4 o clock but sometimes it has a FTE and from what I'm seeing I'm guessing it's jumping over the rim. The gun has around 2000 rounds through it. I've been considering getting the BCM SOPMOD extractor upgrade although it is a BCM bolt... I have cleaned it.

texasgunhand
05-07-13, 21:47
Could just try the $4.95 extr. upgrade from BCM...With 2000 rnds it couldnt hurt.

Iraqgunz
05-07-13, 21:55
I'll say it again. If you have a properly spec'd carbine that is a 14.5" or 16" you do not need the O-ring.

If you have an SBR it's debatable, but all of my SBR uppers which are BCM and Noveske 10.2" have been reliable 100% without it.

What kind of issues can it cause? My BCM M4 has been having some ejection issues lately. It's still ejecting with plenty of force in a nice pile at 3-4 o clock but sometimes it has a FTE and from what I'm seeing I'm guessing it's jumping over the rim. The gun has around 2000 rounds through it. I've been considering getting the BCM SOPMOD extractor upgrade although it is a BCM bolt... I have cleaned it.

Chrisollis
05-07-13, 23:02
Could just try the $4.95 extr. upgrade from BCM...With 2000 rnds it couldnt hurt.

Probably what I'll try first as it's the cheapest place to start.

Iraqgunz
05-07-13, 23:25
If you are having ejection issues, you need to check the ejector not the extractor. If you are saying the it is failing to extract then remove the donut (if you have one) or try a new extractor spring assembly.

Probably what I'll try first as it's the cheapest place to start.

Chrisollis
05-07-13, 23:29
Some casings are getting stuck in the chamber, Seems the extractor is slipping over the rim. In the few mags of tula that I have ran (the gun sees m855/m193 99% of the time.) it has ripped the rim off a few cases.

Benito
05-08-13, 22:39
I'll second that the O-ring is not required on even an 11.5" (properly spec'd).
As I posted in my other thread, the BCM spring by itself solved all my extraction problems (and by extension, feeding problems - feeding with a spent casing still gumming up the works).
I'm happy as hell I had the OCD ahead of time to order the BCM extractor spring kit.