PDA

View Full Version : Glock OEM recoil spring or Wolff? Glock diiference with Gen 4?

Devildawg2531
05-05-13, 09:25
I have a Glock 27 that is about 16 years old (serial # starts with BZ...) and has approximately 3000 rounds through it - it is my primary CCW but I shoot it less than my other 3 Glocks. I have never replaced the recoil spring and wanted recommendations between using the Glock OEM recoil springs or aftermarket Wolff or other. I have seen some recommend the Wolff non captive guide rod and recoill spring and a stiffer 18 or 20 lb spring (I carry Speer Gold Dot).

Another option I could trade in my well worn Glock 27 for a gen 4 Glock 27. I have 2 gen 4's (22, and 34) and like them very much. With the G27 already having the double recoil spring is there any advantage to going with the new gen 4 27's over my current one? I do like the rougher texture of the gen 4's grip but are there any other mechanical advanatges that I'm missing?

Thanks!

brushy bill
05-05-13, 14:59
I have a Glock 27 that is about 16 years old (serial # starts with BZ...) and has approximately 3000 rounds through it - it is my primary CCW but I shoot it less than my other 3 Glocks. I have never replaced the recoil spring and wanted recommendations between using the Glock OEM recoil springs or aftermarket Wolff or other. I have seen some recommend the Wolff non captive guide rod and recoill spring and a stiffer 18 or 20 lb spring (I carry Speer Gold Dot).

Another option I could trade in my well worn Glock 27 for a gen 4 Glock 27. I have 2 gen 4's (22, and 34) and like them very much. With the G27 already having the double recoil spring is there any advantage to going with the new gen 4 27's over my current one? I do like the rougher texture of the gen 4's grip but are there any other mechanical advanatges that I'm missing?

Thanks!

I am unaware of any advantages to the newer Gen 4 in a 26/27 other than the grip changes and larger safety. To the contrary, the quality of manufacturing in your extractor is reportedly superior to current version and if I'm not mistaken, the earlier firing pins weren't MIM. So, you're trading in a gun with higher quality internals and presumably proven reliability to no real advantage beyond what you find in the grip.

I have no experience with the wolff spring kit in a 26/27. A 17 and a 22, but not the 26/27. I've never had a problem with either, but until I saw your post, I didn't think there was such a beast. I may pick one up just to test it.

Personally, if I were you I'd just go with a replacement factory OEM spring assembly from Glockparts.com, brownells, etc and be done with it. Wear on my guns that I've put there makes them more endearing in my estimation, not less.

Devildawg2531
05-05-13, 15:25
I am unaware of any advantages to the newer Gen 4 in a 26/27 other than the grip changes and larger safety. To the contrary, the quality of manufacturing in your extractor is reportedly superior to current version and if I'm not mistaken, the earlier firing pins weren't MIM. So, you're trading in a gun with higher quality internals and presumably proven reliability to no real advantage beyond what you find in the grip.

I have no experience with the wolff spring kit in a 26/27. A 17 and a 22, but not the 26/27. I've never had a problem with either, but until I saw your post, I didn't think there was such a beast. I may pick one up just to test it.

Personally, if I were you I'd just go with a replacement factory OEM spring assembly from Glockparts.com, brownells, etc and be done with it. Wear on my guns that I've put there makes them more endearing in my estimation, not less.

Yes I'm leaning heavily towards replacing the recoil spring instead of trading in the gun as that's the much more economical route. I was just wondering if there were any advantages to the gen 4 vs the previous 26 and 27 since they already had the dual recoil springs. You pointed out 2 advantages of the older Glock that I wasn't aware of. I have heard good things about the Wolff giuide and rod and spring combo and hoping someone has feedback on that vs the OEM.

Thanks

okie john
05-05-13, 16:35
I think the interval for replacing a Glock RSA is every 5,000 rounds, so your original RSA should be good for the next 10.6 years.

Okie John

ST911
05-05-13, 16:39
There is no real benefit to aftermarket recoil springs unless you need to tune to a particular load. If replacing the RSA, replace with OEM.

I prefer the gen4 grip surface to the previous versions. It's slip resistance is even more noticeable in the subs. I would be inclined to trade.

My first choice would be to trade your 27 in on a gen4 G19 or G26.