PDA

View Full Version : HK45: Inital Impressions (Pics Included)

BushmasterFanBoy
03-28-08, 18:41
Several weeks ago I started thinking about purchasing a new pistol. At first I was thinking of getting a SIG P226 in .40 S&W. I like the round, and the SIG pistols have always shot well in my hands, except for the usual holding the slide lock down. I started thinking some more and decided to check out HK latest offering, the P30 and HK45. I knew that the HK45 was designed with input from Larry Vickers and Ken Hackathorn, so I knew that it was probably a pretty solid pistol. I called several stores and finally found one who carried one. After holding both the P30 and the HK45 I knew right then that I had to have one. I was even temped to pay the exorbitant price that they were offering just so I could walk home with one. But my senses came to, and I walked home empty handed.

I knew that I didn't want a 9mm, and actually preffered the .40 S&W, but HK didn't have one of their new models in that round. So I compromised and opted to get an HK45 from CDNN. They had one heck of a deal on it ($829), and within three days I was a proud owner of an HK45.

Pros:

Obviously this gun feels great. It fits my hand very well, so well in fact that when I first picked it up, I was tempted to purchase it right then and there. I wouldn't be too far off if I called it the best grip on any handgun I have ever held.
Typical HK attention to detail. The inside of the slide is free of machining marks, the extractor claw has been polished, the slide where the hammer rides is also polished. The breech face is nice and smooth.

Cons:

When you cycle the action on this pistol it is very gritty. It sounds ugly and very rough.
The finish is already wearing on the slide release levers. This is a common issue and is well noted on the USP models, which features extractors with the same finish
The sights are crappy. When I look at them I am reminded of the flip up night sights found on Yugo SKSs. Some of you may be familar with them, but if you're not count yourself lucky.
Only holds ten rounds.
Roll pin which holds the interchangeable grip in place is a joke. Why couldn't HK just copy S&W? A couple swaps and you'll need a new roll pin
My trigger finger hits the new magazine release when I pull the trigger to the rear. Luckily it doesn't engage, but my trigger finger still sweeps it.

Overall I am very satisfied with this pistol. I haven't had a chance to go to the range yet, but I have a trip planned tomorrow. The grip really is amazing and I encourage anyone to try it out.

Sights:
These are rechargeable with a light source. I hit them with my M6 (90 Lumens) and they shun bright green for about thirty seconds then got gradually dimmer.
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd283/Burke888/Sights.jpg

Crappy Finish on Slide Release:
And to think, I haven't even taken this on the treadmill yet ;)
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd283/Burke888/FinishWear.jpg

Bore Axis
The P-08 has all of these beat. Your hand is almost higher than the barrel. Left to right: HK USP, P-08, Yours Truly, Kimber Warrior, and M9
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd283/Burke888/Grips.jpg

The Gun
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd283/Burke888/Hk45.jpg
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd283/Burke888/BuissnessEnd.jpg

Like I said, overall I am happy with the purchase. I just hope it runs well, I will check that out tomorrow.

Ed L.
03-28-08, 19:16
When you cycle the action on this pistol it is very gritty. It sounds ugly and very rough.

You probably need more lube. The gun runs better than most dry, but it can still benefit from generous lube.

tuff
03-28-08, 20:57
CONGRATS ON THE WEAPON!!

I have sent around 250 down the pipe on mine and it just gets better.....

As for my wifes P-30, damn its a great weapon..

wild_wild_wes
03-31-08, 01:29
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd283/Burke888/FinishWear.jpg

I have noticed this discoloration in the same place on my USP 45 fullsize; I thought it was rust. Is the metal underneath the finish bronze-colored?

Tspeis
03-31-08, 01:45
In regards to roll pin that retains the grip panel, roll pins generally need replacing after being removed once. It's not uncommon. Just buy yourself a few extras and you should be GTG.

I read somewhere that HK used the luminous sights on the HK45 because manufacturing night sights in Germany is banned. It had something to do with the material used in the actual sight dots. Evidently, they're working on doing night sights when the guns are produced in the US. I'll find the article where I read this and post it tommorow.

Tspeis

Hawkeye
03-31-08, 05:49
Cons:

My trigger finger hits the new magazine release when I pull the trigger to the rear. Luckily it doesn't engage, but my trigger finger still sweeps it.

1. Thats just from being new. Shoot it a few hundred rounds and see if that changes. I'll bet it does.

2. I am going to take a wild guess here..... I bet the tip of your trigger figner hits the mag release with no mag in the gun. Does it do it with a mag in the gun??

NetJunkie
03-31-08, 09:16
As someone said the sights are due to the fact you can't buy tritium sights in Germany and several other countries. So these are the stock sights now. They glow a long time if you put them under light for a minute. I'll switch to tritium sights.

The 10-round limitation is due to the specs that were defined by the military for the trials they were running. That's why the M&P .45 is 10-round as well. I keep hoping someone will make a +2 extension.

Love mine..very happy with it.

RAM Engineer
03-31-08, 09:37
The 10-round limitation is due to the specs that were defined by the military for the trials they were running. That's why the M&P .45 is 10-round as well. I keep hoping someone will make a +2 extension.

Negative. The JCP performance spec was 8 rounds THRESHOLD and 10 rounds OBJECTIVE. This means these are lower limits, not upper limits. ie, exceeding either of these is fine. The 10 round limit was due to the desire to make the gun fit the human hand, and not feel like a 2x4.

FN's FNP-45 was probably designed around the same spec and it has a 12-14 round magazine.

It is up to each company to decide how much of a trade off they will make between capacity and ergonomics, as long as they do not fall below threshold reqirements.

To my knowledge, the military never "ran any trials." They issued a draft Request for Proposal, which was cancelled before a final RFP was issued, or any proposals could be submitted by offerors.

Praising the gun's ergos, then complaining that it is "only" 10 rounds, is akin to praising a Prius for it's gas mileage then complaining that it won't tow your RV.

The Dumb Gun Collector
03-31-08, 11:01
As far as the discolored extractors and slide releases. H&K uses extremely hard steel for these parts. This results in the "purple" coloring. H&K P7s have had this for years. It is unattractive, but it is a function over form type of thing.

As an aside, Bob Cogan of AP&W once relayed to me that H&K steel (specifically the P7) was insanely hard, and was extremely tough to work.

I have noticed similar discoloration on other high-end European firearms. For example, my Steyr Scout's extractor has the purple look.

GlockWRX
03-31-08, 14:07
I've been pleased with mine for the limited amount of time I've had it. Still waiting for the ambi safety though. Here are a couple of observations:

The sights: the shape and arrangement of the sights is fine, but the luminova is an inadequate substitute for tritium. Hopefully someone will come up with a decent aftermarket sight, or else I'll send them to Trijicon to have them install some tubes in the stock sights.

The grip: I find the grip to be very comfortable and the lower capacity was a worthwhile tradeoff to get there. For me though, the grip texture isn't enough to secure the gun in my hand. To keep it from squirming I put a couple pieces of inner tube on the grip. Locks it up nicely.

Controls: I love the controls. The mag release and slide release are very well placed and work with a positive, tactile feel. Very nice. As a southpaw I need the ambi safety though. The one on the left seems to fit well during weak hand drills. Like Hawkeye said, the mag release will stick up higher if a mag is not in place. With a mag in place I don't have any trouble with my finger rubbing the mag release lever.

Finish: the finish on the slide release and hammer wears off quickly. It appears to be a decorative coating rather than a true finish. I see no evidence of corrosion, but I have not exposed to any moisture yet.

Overall, I'm very impressed with it.

NetJunkie
03-31-08, 14:44
Negative. The JCP performance spec was 8 rounds THRESHOLD and 10 rounds OBJECTIVE. This means these are lower limits, not upper limits. ie, exceeding either of these is fine. The 10 round limit was due to the desire to make the gun fit the human hand, and not feel like a 2x4.

Ah..gotcha. That's good to know. I'm not arguing the 10-round capacity. I'd like to see a +2 that sticks out further since mine is a bedside weapon and not something I carry. I really like the grip on it. It's far more comfortable than my USP .45 with a huge grip.

BushmasterFanBoy
03-31-08, 15:20
1. Thats just from being new. Shoot it a few hundred rounds and see if that changes. I'll bet it does.

2. I am going to take a wild guess here..... I bet the tip of your trigger figner hits the mag release with no mag in the gun. Does it do it with a mag in the gun??

You are correct. I just picked it up a second ago, and with a magazine inserted my finger doesn't hit the release.

By the way, I fired a little over six hundred rounds through this pistol this weekend. No problems of any kind, except a very, very dirty muzzle :D .

Rinspeed
03-31-08, 15:30
Nice pics, that thing is very sharp and it looks like it would fit your hand very well. I haven't seen any in local shops yet. Seeing I live in NY the 10 mag limit is not as much of a factor.

JLM
04-06-08, 04:19
I just wish the HK mags weren't so godawful expensive.

Still...I'm looking at one.....hard......

bluedog
04-11-08, 00:12
Is there a thinner USP-style flush fit plastic magazine base available for the HK45?

BushmasterFanBoy
04-11-08, 11:36
Is there a thinner USP-style flush fit plastic magazine base available for the HK45?

Not yet.

bluedog
04-11-08, 19:27
I went down and handled one today, and was very impressed with the ergonomics and build quality. The slightly fuller grip of the HK45 filled my hand better than the 45 M&P, but for me the latter tended to point a little better. Another factor under consideration is that I am currently a SIG shooter, and the transition would be much simpler with the M&P, than with the HK45s safety lever/decocker.

BushmasterFanBoy
04-11-08, 22:56
I went down and handled one today, and was very impressed with the ergonomics and build quality. The slightly fuller grip of the HK45 filled my hand better than the 45 M&P, but for me the latter tended to point a little better. Another factor under consideration is that I am currently a SIG shooter, and the transition would be much simpler with the M&P, than with the HK45s safety lever/decocker.

Hate to sound like I am pushing the HK, (I don't have a stake in their company or anything), but you can get the HK45 in several different flavors. It's possible to get one that has identical controls to the SIG.
Variant Three (3) would give you a control lever mounted on the left side of the weapon (You could go with variant 4 if you're left handed). The control lever in variant 3 acts ONLY as a de-cocker and not a safety. You could buy the standard variant 1 model now, and then change it over yourself later. Or if you don't feel comfortable, send it to HK to have it changed over.

If anything, an HK45 in variant 3 would be easier for you to transition to than the M&P.

ToddG
04-11-08, 23:53
Without knowing whether bluedog's SIG is a TDA or DAK, it's hard to say what would be easiest for transition. Going from a consistent trigger to a TDA pistol is certainly doable but it takes time and attention, especially to habituate the decocking ritual.

As for fit, both the HK45 and M&P45 have multiple user-adjustable grip configurations. Unless you get to try the different options, it's probably premature to say one fits better than the other.

It's also worth keeping in mind that the way a gun feels at a gun shop isn't always the best way to judge how it will feel and work in your hand at the range.

BushmasterFanBoy
04-12-08, 16:27
Without knowing whether bluedog's SIG is a TDA or DAK, it's hard to say what would be easiest for transition. Going from a consistent trigger to a TDA pistol is certainly doable but it takes time and attention, especially to habituate the decocking ritual.

HK45 is also available in LEM which is similar to the DAK.

ToddG
04-12-08, 16:29
HK45 is also available in LEM which is similar to the DAK.

Understood. But without knowing what he's shooting to begin with, it's impossible to say what will be the easiest transition.

bluedog
04-13-08, 11:55
Variant Three (3) would give you a control lever mounted on the left side of the weapon (You could go with variant 4 if you're left handed). The control lever in variant 3 acts ONLY as a de-cocker and not a safety.

Both of my SIGs are DA/SA. Are you refering to a decocker similar to that on the P2000, mounted to the left of the hammer at the rearend of the slide?

ToddG
04-13-08, 12:04
The safety/decocker lever on the HK45 is a frame-mounted unit similar to the ones from the original USPs. Different variants have different functions. V3 eliminates the safe (up) position and has only fire (straight) and decock (down) positions. Therefore, it would function very similarly to your TDA SIGs.

Bob
04-13-08, 14:01
Can the HK45 use USP plates for changing trigger/safety variants?

Robb Jensen
04-13-08, 17:23
Can the HK45 use USP plates for changing trigger/safety variants?

I've compared them side by side, they are unfortunately different.

Bob
04-14-08, 19:58
Ah well. By the time I can afford a HK45, I'm sure a V9 (or whatever they will call it) conversion will be available. (And maybe night sights?) :D

I know its 'me', and not a fault of the HK V1 design, but I catch myself unintentionally decocking from time to time. V9 solves that issue nicely...