PDA

View Full Version : good first gun choices for children

Maineshooter
05-05-13, 22:07
I have an eight year old boy and thirteen year old girl that both like to shoot. The .22s I have are just a bit too large for them to shoot comfortably without. The both already "have" 22s that they just haven't grown into yet.

I'm looking for bolt action rifles that have one or more "adjustment" features, like removable / stackable recoil pads or simply a rifle on a junior stock that they can upgrade to a larger stock later as they grow.

I have seen the kid size "cricket rifles" but I think they would outgrow them rather quickly (my boy needs longer jeans on a quarterly basis).

Anyone here have experience with such a rifle? I would appreciate any feedback you could give. I'm really excited to get them set up with properly fitting rifles. They already like shooting but my plan is to get them down right addicted for life.

Thanks,

Big Wall
05-06-13, 10:28
I bought a Cricket for my son and he outgrew it extremely fast. I bought a 10/22 and a Blackhawk! Axiom stock for it. It will adjust small enough to fit him and large enought to fit me (I'm 6'8").

Maineshooter
05-06-13, 12:05
Thanks for the info about the axiom stock. I have a 10/22 so that looks like something I could try right now.

mig1nc
05-06-13, 12:08
I let my oldest boy shoot an AR when we go shooting sometimes.

I just collapse the stock all the way down and it is perfect for him.

As he grows, we can extend the stock out as needed.

You might look at one of those super lightweight polymer .22 ARs. I know I am!

EDIT: I know you said bolt gun... So this doesn't help much. Just talking one father to another.

streck
05-06-13, 12:45
I am contemplating this same question and and strongly leaning toward the Savage Rascal (LINK (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/manufacturers_id/73/products_id/78639)) or spending a little more and getting a CZ 452 Scout (LINK (http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/31197/CZ+452+2E+ZKM+Scout+.22lr+Youth)).

The Rascal is supposed a damned nice trigger and be pretty accurate for such an inexpensive gun. being pretty inexpensive, I won't worry too much about him out growing it quickly.

The CZ is more expensive but a very well put together package and would be a rife my son could pass down to his kids. I can see him presenting it to his son in 30 years saying, "This was my first rifle and I remember the day I got it....."

Maineshooter
05-06-13, 12:46
My daughter has actually shot my AR and loves it. I have been searching around for some bolt action options but I am not coming up with much. The 10/22 idea is a close second place to that.

I actually had thought about the .22 in the AR platform but slower shooting and more frequent reloading = a better ammo budget for dad.

Moltke
05-06-13, 13:17
Colt 6920. Well, maybe the lightweight 6720 instead.

vaglocker
05-06-13, 13:51
Got a Cricket for my son last Christmas (he's 6). I think he should get a few good years out of it before he outgrows it at which time his brother will be ready for it.

Bluto
05-06-13, 14:24
I bought my son a PWS T3 Summit toggle action when he turned 8: http://primaryweapons.com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=372&idcategory=35.

He still needs a few inches to grow into it. There seems to be a missing link between the cricket/chipmunk and 10/22...

okie john
05-06-13, 17:55
If you're willing to go with a semi-auto, try the S&W M&P 15-22.

Okie John

Army Chief
05-06-13, 18:34
The CZ is more expensive but a very well put together package and would be a rife my son could pass down to his kids. I can see him presenting it to his son in 30 years saying, "This was my first rifle and I remember the day I got it....."

Never underestimate the power (and inherent value) of creating a memory. Guns which are passed down, along with a bit of family lore, are often the most treasured of all. Each of my grandfathers (paternal and maternal) rather coincidentally passed an 1897 Winchester shotgun down to me, and the pair might as well be worth a half-million dollars as far as I am concerned.

AC

Maineshooter
05-06-13, 19:12
Never underestimate the power (and inherent value) of creating a memory. Guns which are passed down, along with a bit of family lore, are often the most treasured of all. Each of my grandfathers (paternal and maternal) rather coincidentally passed an 1897 Winchester shotgun down to me, and the pair might as well be worth a half-million dollars as far as I am concerned.

AC

I know what you mean. I was given a Winchester 94 carbine that is over 100 years old by my grandfather when I was a teenager. The rifle has been in my family since it was purchased new. He even knew how many deer he had killed with it . My son will be the fourth generation to own and even hunt with it. I have a couple of others with some real stories attached.

Kokopelli
05-06-13, 19:19
If you're willing to go with a semi-auto, try the S&W M&P 15-22.

Okie John

There-ya go.. If a semi-auto would work, the 15/22 is the ticket.. JMO.. Ron

Frailer
05-06-13, 19:28
My kids are all grown now, but if I were in the market for a single-shot youth rifle I'd opt for a Thompson Center Hot Shot.

Arkansas Bob
05-06-13, 20:07
Hard to go wrong with the CZ 452 Scout. I have one for both of kids. They are what I would call an heirloom quality first rifle.

Maineshooter
05-07-13, 20:39
The CZ scout is looking better and better.