PDA

View Full Version : .223 brass from Blanks

markm
05-06-13, 11:14
Will this work? I mean... Just out of silly ass curiosity...

I found 4 pieces of Blank LC 88 brass in a bucket of brass yesterday... so I cut off the crimp with a dremel and resized/neck expanded them and trimmed them in the Giraud. The look great.

Not sure if there's any structural diff in the head/web on blank brass though. There is a cannalure just forward of the case head. I loaded them up and will fire them this weekend. :confused:

thei3ug
05-06-13, 12:59
Lot of rumors that went around, but the gist is it's the same brass as in live rounds. Necks aren't annealed like production ammo, and does not go through QC. Expect more case failures.

markm
05-06-13, 13:09
Lot of rumors that went around, but the gist is it's the same brass as in live rounds. Necks aren't annealed like production ammo, and does not go through QC. Expect more case failures.

Hmm... these most definitely have the annealing iris. I have some more unfired in the garage I could look at to see if those are annealed.

I'm going to shoot them and see what happens I guess.

mattg1024
05-06-13, 14:58
Hardly seems worth the risk.

markm
05-06-13, 15:09
Hardly seems worth the risk.

Not worth the effort really.

Just more of a curiosity. Might be worth it for the guys who shoot .300 Worthless though. If they're already making their own cases... :confused:

thei3ug
05-06-13, 15:19
No safety risk, just a lot of split necks.
Effort? I'd have to be really hurting for brass to make it worthwhile.

markm
05-06-13, 15:36
No safety risk, just a lot of split necks.
Effort? I'd have to be really hurting for brass to make it worthwhile.

Yeah... this is for when the rise of the machines happens and components must be salvaged at all costs. :p

You could always aneal the necks yourself too.

mattg1024
05-06-13, 20:58
I think markm's signature pretty much sums up this thread...

markm
05-07-13, 08:10
I think markm's signature pretty much sums up this thread...

Nah... I had too much BRASS on my hands. I was going nutty sorting a bucket of brass that had dirt and a little tranny fluid in it. :rolleyes:

You have to experiment. Keeps things interesting. If there were an efficient way to cut the crimp off of blanks (without an equipment investment), it'd be worth it.

I had a Spec Ops guy I know call me and ask if it was worthwhile for him to grab a bunch of blanks.... So I had to try it when I found these to see if they're worth more than brass scrap value.

eperk
05-09-13, 06:22
I have a buddy that just reloaded some Tula for the heck of it. He hasn't shot it yet. Don't see why it shouldn't work. I wouldn't do it though. I told him to send pics of the gun after he shot it.;)

markm
05-09-13, 08:15
I have a buddy that just reloaded some Tula for the heck of it. He hasn't shot it yet. Don't see why it shouldn't work. I wouldn't do it though. I told him to send pics of the gun after he shot it.;)

It'll work. As long as he gets the case squeezed down to fit the chamber. I found that it would require a die adjustment. The setting that works for brass didn't get the steel sized down enough.