PDA

View Full Version : A day in the life of a Texan...

CapnCrunch
07-13-06, 00:27
I've told you guys I liked snakes ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/capcocrunchopoint/IMG_1769.jpg

This is a Eastern Hognose Snake (Heterodon platirhinos, called a "Spreading Adder" in most parts of Texas, although it's of the colubrid family and not a viper) which decided to come up to my front door earlier today. It looks huge in the photo, but it was only about 2 ft long at most.

This snake has several unique defense mechanisms. Being a rear-fanged venemous snake that has a venom that's not particularly toxic to would-be predators, it resorts to unconventional means to ward off attacks. The first being that it can flatten out its body, similar to a cobra, to make itself appear much larger than it actually is. The second being that it can expel large amounts of air which makes a pretty darn loud hiss. The third... Well, it plays dead. Yeah, it's a scary snake. They hardly ever strike at people, much less actually bit them, and when you scare it, the poor thing plays dead.

Anyhow, we had heard the dogs barking, and my wife decided to peek out the door to make sure they weren't in any danger. Well, I, being a certified genius, decided to go outside, stand on the doorstep, and wonder what the hell that loud hissing noise was. The wife instructed me to come back in the house, which I did. She then informed me there was a black snake coiled up behind the dogs food bowl.

I'm going to preempt the joke, and get it outta the way. "If it was a snake, it woulda bit you." Now that that's out of the way...

After deciding that he wasn't a Cottonmouth, I figured that the best thing to do would be to retrieve my big Rubbermaid (it's actually a Sterilite, I'm cheap) container that I keep around just for the purpose of catching snakes. Now, I'm no Austin Stevens, but I'm no idiot when it comes to snakes... I've got a proprietary procedure that I use to get snakes in the container, and seal it until I can relocate them. Needless to say, turning the container on its side and pushing him in with the lid worked great, as usual.

At this point I had a pretty decent idea of what he was, and decided to take a few (hundred) pictures. Sorry, but no ultra-macro photography. Like I said, I'm no Austin Stevens. My dinky Powershot S2-IS doesn't like to focus when zooming on macro shots, so I already had to get pretty close to him to get the shots that I did get.

After that was all said and done, I topped the container off, carried it across the road, and set him free into the wilderness.

So yeah, I woke up too late to do anything productive, caught a snake, took some pictures, and set him free about 300 yards from my house. Again, I'm not very smart. Anyhow, the whole idea was to get him far enough away from the dogs (one can get under my fence) that he could escape near enough to the creek to find some nice crunchy amphibians to feast upon.

It's a good day to be a snake.

seabass
07-13-06, 00:41
You are much braver than me.....I hate snakes!

-Wes-
07-13-06, 03:57
I had to rescue a little 7" baby king snake from our Border Colie yesterday. She finds about 1-2 a week. Her prey drive is just insane. Snakes, lizards, roaches, and one unlucky gopher.

M4arc
07-13-06, 06:01
I am NEVER going to Texas...

:eek:

DM1975
07-13-06, 08:36
I dont mind snakes at all, in fact I have one for a pet. They make real good pets, you only feed them once a week, they never get in the way or make noise, and you dont have to house train them... just keep them away from the neighbors cat and they are fine... Glad you did not kill it.

Dave Berryhill
07-13-06, 09:06
You gotta love Texas! I was born and raised in L.A. and there is a surprising amount of wildlife in the hills around So Cal - lots of deer, coyotes and snakes but I'm constantly amazed at the stuff I see here. Just the other day I looked out the window of my shop and saw a bobcat strolling down the street!

Somehow, my 6 month old puppy managed to catch a bird the other day. Not a bad feat for a miniature dachshund!

I haven't run into too many snakes yet - mostly dead ones that have been run over while sunning themselves on the highways.

MaceWindu
07-13-06, 09:40
:eek:

Mace

cohiba
07-13-06, 11:47
Not a hunter, not my thing. Nature and animals are cool and all that. My backyard has at various times turkey, deer, raccons, opossum, fox, pheasant and coyotes. A large black bear was captured and relocated from the center of town last year. I now have a family of 4 red tailed hawks, one the size of an Apache, that live in a tree on the side of my house.

I realize that snakes play a key part of maintaining the delicate balance of life that is our fragile ecosystem. But....they FREAK ME OUT. I'm not spending a nanosecond trying to figure out if its venom will kill me or merely make my extremities go numb as it eats me. I don't care if its trying to bring me a 12 pack of Guinness pub cans, it's massive application of force time. Benelli M1014 with 8 rds of 7 1/2 shot. Last snake sighting made my rear lawn look like the lunar landscape but I slept good (admittedly still clutching the Benelli):eek: :D ;)

Dave Berryhill
07-13-06, 12:30
...Benelli M1014 with 8 rds of 7 1/2 shot. Last snake sighting made my rear lawn look like the lunar landscape...

8 rounds? It sounds like you need more firepower! :D
http://www.berryhillguns.com/mk19.jpg

223Rem
07-13-06, 13:36
A few years back while picking strawberries in an abandon farm, I came across one. Neat little critter, who played dead immediately after our mutual contact. Wish he flared up like a cobra though, that would have been cool to see.

CapnCrunch
07-13-06, 18:27
This one didn't play dead much, he played tough... Next time I come across one I'll get some really good macro shots of the head, now that I've done a little more research on them. It was a beautiful snake, and some of the behaviours are just plain eccentric.

I've always loved snakes, but the rattler that I stepped on accidentally a few weeks back almost made me soil myself. I was attempting to get close enough to take a picture of a Cottonmouth and stepped over a log directly onto what appeared to be a stick that had a circumference the size of the lower part of my leg. The stick flipped up and slapped me in the head, and started rattling.

Lo and behold, a Rattlesnake that had to be somewhere from 6.5-7 ft long... And that's a very conservative estimate. I screamed like a little girl and sprinted back to the house. Big rattlesnakes are just amazing creatures, but only when you know that they're there. When you just happen onto the top of one, it's as scary as heck. Envenomation by any species of animal falls just right above "dying" on my things to do list. It's something that I try to avoid ;)

We usually only keep snakes as "pets" long enough to find a good place to release them. Which, thank goodness, isn't very long. We had a tiny ground rattler for a few days, and a larger (over 6 ft) "true" crotalid for about 2 or 3. The latter was noisy, agressive, and just had an overall sour demeanor. I did not want to let him go back into the wild so close to myself, or others. The former was a friendly little guy, who I just re-released about 500 yards into the woods. I think I have pics of him somewhere.

RHR
07-13-06, 19:32
If I had to have a "proprietary procedure that I use to get snakes in the container" I wouldn't leave the house.:eek:

Nitrox
07-13-06, 19:46
Why not shoot it and eat it?

Rattler tastes great!

Ice Cream Man
07-13-06, 21:44
OK cross Texas off the list of places to live. I can't stand snakes.

VA_Dinger
07-13-06, 22:58
Tally, your a sick man. :eek:

CapnCrunch
07-13-06, 23:45
Tally, your a sick man. :eek:
That's the same thing my wife says!

:D

kennytx
07-14-06, 14:29
I don't care for snakes myself.

As a kid growing up in South Texas, we used to hunt rattlesnakes with our
BB guns for fun during our summer break from school. In hindsight, that was probably pretty stupid of us. Luckily none of us got bitten.

vinesr6
07-15-06, 20:22
Damn Tally, no way in hell i'm handling a snake let alone taking a close mugshot of one. Have you ever gone to Sweetwater (Rattlesnake Roundup)?

Cold
07-16-06, 10:18
I hear their underbellies are neat, wish Ya took a pic of that too

LOKNLOD
07-16-06, 11:13
We caught a Tarantula on our front porch a while back. I'll take snakes anyday!

Texas_Soldier
07-16-06, 11:31
Been to Sweetwater Roundup a few times, too many rattlers in one place.

I like snakes as boots, belts, and hat bands other than that I have no use for them.

olds442tyguy
07-16-06, 21:15
One of the few things I like about Nebraska is knowing that I can walk through my yard with out having a nature provoked "SHTF" event. :eek:

The most dangerous venomous species we have is the Brown Recluse spider, and luckily I'm one of the very few who doesn't experience catastrophic cell decomposition from their venom. The only place you ever see rattlers here is along the rail road tracks and every one I've come across has been dead and covered in coal dust.

I'm not freaked out by snakes, but I sure as hell wouldn't have had the courage to do what you did knowing it was poisonous.