PDA

View Full Version : Can I build it? Cheap or high end?

Elkhound
03-29-08, 05:14
Okay, help a guy out. I'm actually (finally) thinking about building my first AR. The problem with this idea is that I have ZERO mechanical competence.

I'm thinking about using higher end parts. So, my concern is if I buy high end parts, is there something that I can significantly screw up and thus damage one of the high end parts (receiver, nice hand guards, trigger assembly, whatever)?

Next, I've read enough on this board to have an idea of what I want to use. But, I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Or, should I try a low end build first to cut my teeth on - something fairly simple and plain jane? Or, should I just go for it and try the nice build first?

So, assuming that I can, (big assumption), build an AR, Just for fun and something to do, give me (help me out) your parts list for a possible "Plane Jane" build. The goal here would be the best for the least.

Then, give me your parts list the the "Higher End" build. Here, give me your top two manufacturers' choices for each major assembly. If a first timer can build a high end AR, I'll start with this one. If not, I'll try the cheaper version and build up my confidence toward building the high dollar version.

Let those parts lists flow!

Thanks in advance for your help

Elkhound

C4IGrant
03-29-08, 08:10
Okay, help a guy out. I'm actually (finally) thinking about building my first AR. The problem with this idea is that I have ZERO mechanical competence.

I'm thinking about using higher end parts. So, my concern is if I buy high end parts, is there something that I can significantly screw up and thus damage one of the high end parts (receiver, nice hand guards, trigger assembly, whatever)?

Next, I've read enough on this board to have an idea of what I want to use. But, I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Or, should I try a low end build first to cut my teeth on - something fairly simple and plain jane? Or, should I just go for it and try the nice build first?

So, assuming that I can, (big assumption), build an AR, Just for fun and something to do, give me (help me out) your parts list for a possible "Plane Jane" build. The goal here would be the best for the least.

Then, give me your parts list the the "Higher End" build. Here, give me your top two manufacturers' choices for each major assembly. If a first timer can build a high end AR, I'll start with this one. If not, I'll try the cheaper version and build up my confidence toward building the high dollar version.

Let those parts lists flow!

Thanks in advance for your help

Elkhound

First thing, do you have all the tools to put everything together?

Second thing, what do you want to do with this AR?

C4

Elkhound
03-29-08, 08:35
In the near future I would like to attend a tactical course. Then, I would like to get proficient and try some three gun competitions. I don't know much about them, but they sound interesting.

So, I guess the rifle would need accuracy and reliability (and a sling?)

Elkhound
03-29-08, 08:37
No specialized tools. Probably just the standard tools most guys have in a garage.

C4IGrant
03-29-08, 09:01
Ok, so you are looking for basically a home defense type weapon and you have no AR tools.

My suggestion would be to get a chrome lined 16" barrel with a middy gas system, collapsible stock, flashlight and a dot optic (Aimpoint or EOTech). For slings, the BFG Vickers two point is my personal favorite.

If you are not going to be building a lot of AR's, then I would suggest that you do not buy the tools and just let someone else put your parts together.

C4

Elkhound
03-29-08, 11:05
I likely would not build more than one or two. So, specialized tools would be an unwise use of funds.

Thanks.

bigsarg99
03-29-08, 19:40
Building is not as hard as many people make it out to be. I built my first AR last year with a DPMS reciever and some other no named parts just to see if i could make something go boom when I pulled the trigger. However i found along the way that the correct tools will save a guy from alot of cussing. I searched the online boards for the correct procedures, took my time and I managed to build a pretty decent carbine. Since then i have built others for myself, familiy and friends which also built up my confidence level enough to use all highend parts (Noveske) for my last build. It is a rewarding expierance once the project is complete.

BushmasterFanBoy
03-29-08, 20:26
If you are not attaching a barrel or FF rail to an upper, the job is cake. I've taken all parts of my lower apart, I remember a time when I was intimidated by things like the hammer and trigger group/springs. After a quick removal, you get a feel for them so well you can do it the second time without looking it up. (Well, m/b not the second time, hehe:o )

The point being is that the only tools/handiwork intensive job is the upper assembly. If you buy a complete upper, you've just skipped the hardest part.

The lower is easy. All the parts: takedown pins, takedown detents, springs, bolt catch, bolt catch detent, bolt catch spring, bolt catch roll pin, mag catch latch, mag catch button, mag catch spring, hammer, hammer spring, trigger, trigger guard, tirgger guard spring/detent, trigger guard roll pin, disconnecter, disconnecter spring, trigger spring, hammer/trigger pins, selector, selector spring, selector detent, grip, grip screw, receiver endplate, castle nut, buffer retaining pin, buffer retaining pin spring, buffer tube, buffer, buffer spring, and collapsable stock are the only parts.:D (I did this without looking, I think thats all of 'em.)

All of these fit together, the only tip I have is that you should have a hammer/punch for the bolt catch, and a telestock wrench. Those are the only essential, "dedicated" tools you should need.

5pins
03-29-08, 22:18
Try renting this dvd you may find it helpful.
http://smartflix.com/store/video/4/Building-the-AR15