PDA

View Full Version : Surefire rail handguard

Sam
03-29-08, 09:26
It's been out quite a few years, I guess it's old news. It's not spoken of much anymore. It's easy to install, grant it it's not free float but it's solid and has decent price. How come we don't hear much about it? I read all the time about YHM non free float (looks kinda low quality) or Midwest's version and of course the Cadillac of all non FF, the DD Omega.

Fail-Safe
03-29-08, 12:38
I dunno. I liked the one I had on my old M4 and I sure did like it. As you said, it is solid, rock solid, and the price is right on.

If I can ever get two of those BC-USA midlength uppers, I was going to put the Surefire rails on them

Shihan
03-29-08, 12:51
It's been out quite a few years, I guess it's old news. It's not spoken of much anymore. It's easy to install, grant it it's not free float but it's solid and has decent price. How come we don't hear much about it? I read all the time about YHM non free float (looks kinda low quality) or Midwest's version and of course the Cadillac of all non FF, the DD Omega.

Actually the Omega is FF.

Sam
03-29-08, 14:03
Actually the Omega is FF.

Thanks. Then the Omega is the king of all rails! Free float and doesn't require modification to the upper.

Shihan
03-29-08, 14:36
Thanks. Then the Omega is the king of all rails! Free float and doesn't require modification to the upper.

It is a very solid chice thats for sure. I have one on my "Go To" LMT.

C4IGrant
03-29-08, 14:59

It is actually considered somewhat expensive as you can get MI #17 rails for $129.

C4

Fail-Safe
03-30-08, 16:11
How do you feel about MI rails?

I haven heard back from BC-USA on their midlength uppers, so I may have to settle with LMT M4 uppers. I want mid-length because I like thegas system beter, but also the longer forend. If I cant get one of those, and go LMT, MI seems to mke the only rail system I like.

Shihan
03-30-08, 16:21
How do you feel about MI rails?

I haven heard back from BC-USA on their midlength uppers, so I may have to settle with LMT M4 uppers. I want mid-length because I like thegas system beter, but also the longer forend. If I cant get one of those, and go LMT, MI seems to mke the only rail system I like.

I believe MI to be the best of the lower cost rails.

JimmyB62
03-30-08, 19:04
I didn't like mine for a number of reasons, the worst being out of spec dovetails. I'm not talking about one rail to the next but rather the individual dovetails varied in size on the same rail. I'd mount a device in one spot and when I moved it forward a few cuts I'd have to adjust the Larue mount with the wrench to get it to fit there.

The differences in size in the dovetail cuts were substantial, requiring quite a bit of adjustment in the mount. None of the other rails I've used have had this issue. I realize the LaRue mount does make a slight impression in the rail when mounted properly but this was not the problem.

I'm sure Surefire would have replaced it but I didn't ask since I decided free float was best for me. Surefire has the best customer service I've experienced from any manufacturer. I have quite a few of their lights (way more than I NEED). On the occasions I've needed their help it was given freely, quickly, and without argument. They are all business, no chit chat, which is fine by me.

This is just my opinion based on a sample of one.

Sam
04-05-08, 09:39
I saw one for bid last week on ebay and even though I already have one I bidded for it anyway. The bidding started low and for awhile I was the high bidder at $65. I got outbid at the end and it went to someone for $168.