PDA

View Full Version : CBC Brazilian M80 ammo any good?

mat10x
05-07-13, 01:41
hey guys,

just bought 2 boxes of CBC M80 ball ammo for my HK91. seems to be a Lot from 2012 or 2013 been reading mixed reviews on this ammo.

few things i like to see if i can get clarification on...new to 7.62.

1. saw something about the bullet being brass coated steel and potential extra wear on the barrel.

2. due to the steel...something about the ammo being "magnetic"....?can't find anything more on that.

3. some thread i saw said they had reliability issues.

thoughts?

thx.

markm
05-07-13, 08:21
CBC as in MagTech?

See if the bullet sticks to a magnet. If so... I don't think I'd run it in a real HK gun.

It's not like simple barrel swaps on an AR where you can blast whatever ammo you want... Just my .02

mat10x
05-07-13, 10:06
CBC as in MagTech?

See if the bullet sticks to a magnet. If so... I don't think I'd run it in a real HK gun.

It's not like simple barrel swaps on an AR where you can blast whatever ammo you want... Just my .02

I've heard CBC referred to as Magtech...but no Magtech name anywhere on the box.

Tried a magnet...nothing. no attraction at all.

very true on the barral swap.

markm
05-07-13, 10:10
I'd try the ammo then. :confused:

TacCommE21
05-07-13, 12:18
Thought I'd throw this in. Different caliber obviously, but...

https://www.m4carbine.net/showpost.php?p=1631340&postcount=7905

Clink link and check description on G&R.

Hope this helps.

Grand58742
05-07-13, 13:13
I've heard CBC referred to as Magtech...but no Magtech name anywhere on the box.

Tried a magnet...nothing. no attraction at all.

very true on the barral swap.

Magtech is the commercial line of CBC. Also owns Sellier and Bellot and the German company MEN.

CBC is the parent company that makes the mil-spec ammo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Companhia_Brasileira_de_Cartuchos

Robb Jensen
05-07-13, 13:20
Short strokes like mad in Colt 901s and S&W M&P10s but runs fine in my Rainier barrelled 18" mid length DPMS LR-308. Honestly I think it's probably loaded light for M14s or such.

jstone
05-07-13, 13:24
Dont worry about what you have heard. It from much older cbc/magtech ammo. Cbc is great ammo there is no steel in the jacket. Its not match ammo but for ball ammo it is better than a lot of ball ammo I have used. There brass is great for reloading.

Cbc or Companhia Brasiera de Cartuchos, Brazil also produces magtech ammo.

markm
05-07-13, 13:24
I know that CBC .308 brass is goofy and has a much lower internal case volume. I think the 223 is the same. I toss the .308 in the recycle bucket.

JoshNC
05-07-13, 18:40
Is magtech M80 762x51 steel jacketed? I hope not. I bought 2k of it to run as blaster ammo in my OBR and ECC.

duece71
05-07-13, 20:22
I have a couple of boxes of the "maize" colored CBC ammo. From the sound of it, I may try it in the MWS or just use the bullet puller for recycling.

Will_Power
05-08-13, 14:58
I picked up a box of 50 for my upcoming FAL build last weekend.

I've heard that all the bad reviews were from older batches, and the kinks have all been worked out, but the case volume issue is a new one to me.

Can anybody verify this?

daisycutter
05-08-13, 15:52
Its pretty much all I use in my socom 16. It has never even glanced at me wrong and always goes bang.

I like it.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

interfan
05-08-13, 17:08
I bought a little of it last year and it ran great through a FAL. But the adjustable gas regulation makes pretty much anything run.

I guess the Brazilians still use a FAL variant (MD-3 or something like that) from IMBEL in their army/national police. I have a smallish pile of the brass, but haven't even looked at it or processed it for loading .308. I heard that the volumes were odd as MarkM mentions, so it is bagged up in the "maybe" pile.

tommyrott
05-09-13, 00:06
sorry got that one wrong was mixing old german 72 with cbc 12(boxer)

interfan
05-09-13, 01:54
check the primer pocket all the 308 brass i've found mark CBC is berdan primed:nono:

I'll have to look at mine. Now I'm curious.

You can reload Berdan primer brass, but it is a major pain in the ass. I tried using a borrowed RCBS Berdan tool and the "bottle opener" method on some German brass. I gave up after an hour and six de-capped cases with seven cut up fingers. I wasn't successful but other people are.

Rifleman_04
05-09-13, 04:43
I bought 10 boxes of this new production CBC M80 along with some Magtech .308. The Magtech worked fine in my Ruger GSR but the CBC M80 consistently makes the bolt stick like a round that is very over pressure. I understand M80 isn't loaded to pressures as high as .308 but I don't have a chrono yet so for now I'm going to hold off on using it.

tommyrott
05-09-13, 17:34
another trick i've heard of to deprime berdan primed cases is to get a very sharp punch and pierce the primer and lever it out, also make a 3 finger punch and knock them out that way, read about these techniques in african hunting tales preety sure it was Capstick's
writings

silviacrazed
05-09-13, 17:48
I used some of it the other day to break in a barrel at the range. It was the only 308 I could find in the area. I shot a total of 13 rounds of it and had two FTFs. I used it in a bolt gun, so I can't comment on ejection issues. I didn't have any stuck casings or anything of that nature. It is 2013 head stamped and has the green stuff around the primer. Seems ok for plinking minus the FTFs.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Moose-Knuckle
05-09-13, 17:56
I just picked up 200 rnds of this stuff for $0.79 per round locally due to the fact its the only 7.62 I can find south of a $1 a round.

I have not shot any of it yet but will report if I have any issues.

Boxerglocker
05-10-13, 11:42
check the primer pocket all the 308 brass i've found mark CBC is berdan primed:nono:

I've run about 50 rounds recently through my SOCOM 16 without issue. The brass was Boxer primed. I already decapped, cleaned and prepped the brass for reloading at a later date. I noticed that the brass is softer than LC and Horandy decided to put it in my "lost Brass "match box.

markm
05-10-13, 11:46
You can reload Berdan primer brass, but it is a major pain in the ass. I tried using a borrowed RCBS Berdan tool and the "bottle opener" method on some German brass. I gave up after an hour and six de-capped cases with seven cut up fingers. I wasn't successful but other people are.

I'm more than willing to take on painful processes for reloading... because I love it...

But that one isn't even up for consideration. Scrap bucket all the way with that brass.

Ready.Fire.Aim
05-10-13, 22:06
I bought two cases in 2012. I shot 300 rounds through my FA 1919A4 belt fed last weekend. All rounds went bang.