PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice and details

Johnbone
05-07-13, 12:10
Hey guys,

I've been reading the forums on and off for a while and just recently joined up. I've been searching on the web and through different forums, but my question never really gets answered.

I've been in the military (grunt) and have been a LEO for 18 yrs in Jersey. I'm not new to the system. I have an A2 Sporter 2 that my Dad bought for me a LONG time ago and I love it. I am going to be getting a Colt 6920 within the next couple of weeks (Jersey makes you wait) and will be making some mods to it. Sure, I can go with the 6940, but I prefer to "make it mine" and get to know the weapon as it goes through its evolution.

I am going to be putting a quad rail it and triying to decide which one. (Yes, there are a lot of threads on this but none answered my questions) Preference is to not take off the FSB on my first personally owned M4 and prefer to keep it intact. I am not going to be hanging too much on the end, for the most part. (vert grip, light, optics) The indecision comes in as whether to make a FF or get a drop in rail. What are the pros and cons of going with a FF vs a drop in, firstly. I have read the main reason is accuracy, but it seems negligable as compared to leaving it stock (Non FF). Second, why did you choose the rails you chose? What influenced you to go with them? ie. price, comfort, reputation, personal experience, design, weight, ease of installation, FFB etc... I've seen plenty of people say they like X brand rail, but never say why. It's like an unfinished sentence. .

I have looked at FF and drop ins from DD, Troy, MI, KA, MOE, etc... I don't need or want a whole lot of real estate past the FSB. I do like the the design of the DD Ligth Rail 9.5 FSP, but it's a FF. I like the cut out and wrap around design without the rail being in front of the FSB. If someone can argue FOR a longer rail and the extra real estate, I'd be glad to hear it. If someone has an argument AGAINST it, I'd like to hear that, too. Not saying that price is not a concern, but if I going to do it, I am going to do it the right way

This is my going to be my shooting/home def/SHTF weapon which will be travelling to and from work with me daily. I have a 120 mile daily commute to and from home and if I get stuck (so to speak), I'm not going to be a statistic. (Thats a whole different story)

Thanks for your time and input.

Bone

Alex V
05-07-13, 12:20
Welcome fellow NJ sufferer.

Others will correct me if am wrong, but it appears as the main reason for longer rails is to allow for the newer styles of support hand placements as well as placing things like lights closer to the muzzle and eliminating the shadow cast by the barrel.

My first AR was a carbine length AR and I installed a Troy FSP cut-out quad rail which is fee float. I had to cut away the delta ring/spring assembly as well as the forward handguard cap in order to install it. I believe this is common with all replacement rails.

With an NJ legal rifle your muzzle device will be permanently attached (unless you can get a 6920 unmolested, being an LEO I am sure you can, even tho its illegal for you as well unless its department issued) if you have a standard 6920 you can remove the A2 flash hider, and remove the factory barrel nut opening up the possibility to ANY FF rail out there.

I would also recommend you look at the Centurion Arms rail as they are held in high regard on here. They are very well made and have options for a carbine and midlength cut out rails. I don't believe they have a rail which continues the top rail for a cut out on a carbine length system but I could be wrong.

Both FF and none FF rails can be very sturdy, just a matter of picking the one you like and suits your needs.

Blak1508
05-07-13, 12:42
I think you will be GTG on a DD rail, I have the OMEGA 12 FSP and they are great, you may actually want to look into a DD complete like the V1, you still will not have any issues making it "yours" I would never recommend against a Colt but for what you want I think you can get off to a better start with the DD, plenty of railestate to toss the light VFG(that actually comes with the DD) and anything else you want. I would def go FF in any case. I know you searched long and hard but the trick to finding out things on here besides the orange button is a creative mind, look at the AR picture thread and basically choose one that is most like what your looking for then search info on it.

The best advice I was given when looking for what you were was the DDV1 complete and its the best decision I have made thus far being completely happy and exceeded my expectations in all aspects. Happy hunting and thank you for your service.

jstalford
05-07-13, 12:49
I went with a Centurion C4 b/c it seemed reasonably strong, not too heavy and easy as crap to install. They also make a FSP cutout rail.

justin_247
05-07-13, 12:50
If you have a pinned muzzle device, your options are going to be very limited when it comes to FF rails since you can't remove the barrel nut.

For a quad-rail, it'd be hard to go wrong with a Centurion C4 12.0 FSP:
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Centurion-Arms-C4-Rail-System-FSP-12in-p/centurion%200609-fsp.htm

For something without a meter of unneeded rails, there's the Troy Delta rail:
http://store.troyind.com/Troy_BattleRail_Delta_p/srai-dlt-cxbt-00.htm

yfz
05-07-13, 13:09
If you are dead set on the 6920, want to the keep the FSP, do not have all the tools to remove the barrel nut,and have a pinned muzzle device like the above poster said(I do not know NJ laws). Then I would go with a centurion C4 carbine length, carbine cutout, or FSP. My rifle is very similar to the 6920 you are planning on getting and might give you a good reference point to decide if this is enough rail for you.
Centurion carbine length:
http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb474/yfz11/IMG_11301_zps3c6d3f3b.jpg (http://s1207.photobucket.com/user/yfz11/media/IMG_11301_zps3c6d3f3b.jpg.html)

midSCarolina
05-07-13, 13:12
I personally went with a FF just for the whole consistency thing and the fact that I like a continuous top rail. Things that I look for in a rail are weight, reputation, dimensions, installation, and I obviously want it to look ok... a lot of the stuff you mentioned. I bought the Centurion C4 primarily because I wasn't a huge fan of the new DD lite rails and the Centurion met my standards for all the criteria I listed about. It isn't hard to change out the barrel nut but the C4 installs to the factory barrel nut which allowed me to simply dremel off the delta ring and corresponding spring for installation. I also think the C4 vents very well... a few days ago I put 200 rounds through it in fairly rapid succession and it was still ok to shoot without gloves... a little warm but still g2g. It actually stays a lot cooler than my DD RIS II (which I also love) but this is likely to do with the fact that the FSB/gas block is outside of the rail with the C4 and is covered by the rail in the RIS II.

I personally HATE the longer rails that have the FSB sticking up out of the middle. I don't see what having that extra rail-space (which is interrupted up top by the FSB making it virtually useless) would do for anyone. It is just extra money and weight IMO. You need space for an optic, a light, and a VG or AFG (if you run one). The only other thing would be a DBAL or something and there is plenty enough room for this on a 7". I am probably a little weird about this... I put a MK18 length RIS II on a 14.5" rifle rather than making it look like the block II with the M4 length but I just didn't want the extra bulk.

http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k558/thornejc23/IMG_2221.png

Centurion C4 7" (plenty of room for everything IMO)
http://i1115.photobucket.com/albums/k558/thornejc23/photo-19_zps49710a19.jpg

My two suggestions:

Centurion C4 7"
or
KAC 7"
or Daniel Defense M4 if you don't like the continuous rail and like the idea of FF

The KAC is low profile, it is drop-in, and it is very very solid. A lot of your drop-ins will have some play esp if you have a VG and you are putting torque on them but the KAC is very snug.

Johnbone
05-07-13, 22:08
Thanks for the input, guys. That is more of what i was looking for.

Alex, you feel my pain. Everyone else gets to have the cool stuff and we are left out in the cold.

I am getting the weapon for $980 NIB and compared to others, that's a pretty decent price. Throw in the rails and it is slightly higher than most other 6920's I've seen. I want to stick with a Colt as my first one. (Yes, first one). I'm going to need a bigger safe the way it is.

Thanks for the pics you guys posted. That's the general look I am going for. The cut out rail was my second option and still viable. The reasons posted were good and solid and have helped me out Just a matter of fine tuning and deciding whether I want to go ff or not.

Thanks again.