PDA

View Full Version : 229 Upgrades

STAMarine
05-07-13, 13:55
I have a 229 that I carry for work and I'd like to do a little work on it. Specifically, I've found that I like the short reset trigger and I'd like to install that, switch barrels from .40 to .357 sig to match my truck pistol, and I'm on the fence about adding E2 grips.

My 229 is a CPO with the old style frame, no rails, and accepts 226 mags. Sig now has so many models and made so many changes to different generations of the same model, I can't figure out what will work with mine.

How in the world do I find what parts will work in my older style 229?

davidjinks
05-07-13, 14:16
My advice is to call Sig and get the part numbers that are compatible with your P229. Or you could send it in with a request of exactly what you want done to it.

I have a 229 that I carry for work and I'd like to do a little work on it. Specifically, I've found that I like the short reset trigger and I'd like to install that, switch barrels from .40 to .357 sig to match my truck pistol, and I'm on the fence about adding E2 grips.

My 229 is a CPO with the old style frame, no rails, and accepts 226 mags. Sig now has so many models and made so many changes to different generations of the same model, I can't figure out what will work with mine.

How in the world do I find what parts will work in my older style 229?

streck
05-07-13, 14:22
If you have already tried the SRT and like it, definitely install it. I really like it as well.

As for the E2 grips, do you find the trigger reach too far or grip too big now? If it's kind of close, you can try a set of G10 grips first which are slimmer than the standard grips and don't require the new hammer strut or other parts.

Other than good night sights (Trijicon HD.. ;) ) or an action job from Bruce gray, I'm not sure what else you can upgrade. Are higher capacity Mec-Gar magazines considered an upgrade?

STAMarine
05-07-13, 14:48
If you have already tried the SRT and like it, definitely install it. I really like it as well.

As for the E2 grips, do you find the trigger reach too far or grip too big now? If it's kind of close, you can try a set of G10 grips first which are slimmer than the standard grips and don't require the new hammer strut or other parts.

Other than good night sights (Trijicon HD.. ;) ) or an action job from Bruce gray, I'm not sure what else you can upgrade. Are higher capacity Mec-Gar magazines considered an upgrade?

I love the SRT. I had one on my last 229, an Elite. The Elite was just...too much. I sold it on Gunbroker and bought the CPO.

That's a good idea on the G10 grips. I'm really looking for something that gives a better purchase. That's why I'm on the fence about the E2 grips. I like the texture, but I'm undecided on the rest.

The sights are another thing. I'd like those exact sights, but I've been looking at sight pushers and it seems some will fit some 229's but not others.

rauchman
05-08-13, 14:53
I love the SRT. I had one on my last 229, an Elite. The Elite was just...too much. I sold it on Gunbroker and bought the CPO.

That's a good idea on the G10 grips. I'm really looking for something that gives a better purchase. That's why I'm on the fence about the E2 grips. I like the texture, but I'm undecided on the rest.

The sights are another thing. I'd like those exact sights, but I've been looking at sight pushers and it seems some will fit some 229's but not others.

On the grips, I have a P226 that I'm now running E2 grips on. My buddy has 9 Sigs and he's just about switched all to the G10 grips. The G10's are really nice, but pricey. At least on the 226, The G10's make the pistol feel a bit slimmer as compared to the E2's. His P229 w/ G10's is a superb pistol.

On the sights, not sure what you're saying. Are you saying some sight pushers fit the 229 while others don't, or is it the sights themselves? My buddy has the Sig branded sight pusher. I think it's made by MRI. He's used it on all his Sig's including the P229. It's about $150 or so.

Texas42
05-08-13, 15:01
The 40 S&W to .357 sig is just a barrel change. It is just a 40 S&W necked down to a 9mm bullet. Essentially a +p+ 9mm Luger . . . and at almost double the price, is quite worthless of a round. . . .at least in my uneducated opinion.

STAMarine
05-08-13, 15:18
On the grips, I have a P226 that I'm now running E2 grips on. My buddy has 9 Sigs and he's just about switched all to the G10 grips. The G10's are really nice, but pricey. At least on the 226, The G10's make the pistol feel a bit slimmer as compared to the E2's. His P229 w/ G10's is a superb pistol.

On the sights, not sure what you're saying. Are you saying some sight pushers fit the 229 while others don't, or is it the sights themselves? My buddy has the Sig branded sight pusher. I think it's made by MRI. He's used it on all his Sig's including the P229. It's about $150 or so.

I've read some product reviews from sellers like Brownell's and some of them state that the pushers are too narrow on newer slides and vice versa with the older ones. Don't know if it's true or not or if it's user error. I don't have any experience with them and I was hoping someone could confirm or deny this.

ra2bach
05-08-13, 18:25
The 40 S&W to .357 sig is just a barrel change. It is just a 40 S&W necked down to a 9mm bullet. Essentially a +p+ 9mm Luger . . . and at almost double the price, is quite worthless of a round. . . .at least in my uneducated opinion.

well at least you're honest...

camus
05-08-13, 22:36
The standard SRT kit for the 226, 229 will work fine. It rather easy to install, takes about 15 minutes.

On one of my 229's I had Sig install the SRT and do their action job, it came back with a real smooth DA, comparable to one I sent to Gray guns.

I never really liked the E2 grips, they are grippy but they just felt a bit loose. G-10's are a good choice.

STAMarine
05-09-13, 07:22
The standard SRT kit for the 226, 229 will work fine. It rather easy to install, takes about 15 minutes.

On one of my 229's I had Sig install the SRT and do their action job, it came back with a real smooth DA, comparable to one I sent to Gray guns.

I never really liked the E2 grips, they are grippy but they just felt a bit loose. G-10's are a good choice.

I looked at the G10s upon your and other's suggestion. That's the way I'm going to go instead of the E2 grips. Thank you