PDA

View Full Version : What I've been working on...

Highvoltage
05-07-13, 16:44
I'm a new member here, and have been spending time reading, and trying to take in all the info here. I've owned and been shooting a entry level/hobby gun for the past few years, a Stag railed upper on a RR lower. It's served my purposes fine, always gone bang, I probably have 2-3k through it.

I've wanted to build my own rifles, and finally got around to getting started. The 16" gun is done, minus the optic, I'll be swapping out the Bushnell Holosight for a T-1 in a Larue mount. I basically wanted a gun that I could use for HD, and range, and not feel the need to upgrade or mess with down the road. I took my time, and waited for components that I wanted.
16" specs:
16" Noveske Recon bbl w/Noveske lopro gas block
Larue Stealth billet upper
Noveske Gen 2 Chainsaw Lower
Spike's Nickel Boron FA BCG
Fortis Rev 12" FF rail
Geissele SSA/E trigger
BADASS selector
Magpul MIAD grip
Vltor Emod Stock kit
BCM gunfighter ambi CH
Troy BattleSights
BattleComp 1.0
Noveske KeyMod panels
Noveske Johnny Mag
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa91/highvoltage29/3607373B-FB1E-48AC-BDF1-D89925D9ABE2-3196-000003A2374C5018.jpg
The 18" gun is my attempt at a SPR build(my second is underway..I'll touch on that in a second)
BCM 18" rifle length gas system 1/8" bbl
PRI flip up front sight/gas block
PRI rifle length FF tube
BCM "scratch/demo" stripped upper (a little super black fixed it up)
ARMS 40L BUIS
Rock River Lower (from my old rifle, temporary)
RR Match trigger
KNS Pins
Magpul MIAD
Magpul CTR
Larue SPR 30mm 10 MOA scope mount
Millet DMS-1 (looking to upgrade to 1x6 or 1x8)
Bobro gen 1 bipod
Phantom FH (just to keep the threads/crown nice until I decide on a brake/comp/mount)

The 16" middy is so soft shooting, I'm sure it's the combination of the BattleComp and the gas system, but 55gr .223 feels like a .22LR. I was amazed, it feels like a completely different gun than my old Stag (as it should!)
**edit...I accidentally deleted the pics of the rifles, I replaced the pic of the 16" gun, and took a new pic of the 18" BCM/PRI. I've made changes to this gun, swapped out the RR lower for a GenII Noveske chainsaw, the CTR for a Larue stock, the and the MIAD for an MOE +. The magpul stuff is going on the build I'm starting(pic in the newest post) here's how she looks today:
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa91/highvoltage29/129FEBA0-CCC6-4666-9C20-AC82BDF6A277-4703-000005C63AB2A1BE.jpg
I zeroed the 18" gun and tried shooting a group @ 100 yards...I only had one box of 69grain match, so I ended up shooting a single 5 shot group. This range allows for 6 rounds in a mag max, so 10 shot groups are a no go. Anyhow my results off the bipod:
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa91/highvoltage29/8C7A85A3-EA84-4900-A390-247F0FE81D34-5477-00000AF79D0C620E.jpg I'm sure it is capable of much better.(I shot this group using the Noveske lower)

I mentioned that I'm building my second SPR...I have two more Noveske Chainsaw lowers coming Friday, and another Larue upper on order(should be soon). I also have this waiting...18" Noveske SPR 1/7 intermediate bbl, gas block, tube, BCG, other bits:
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa91/highvoltage29/9F094085-BBD9-4768-8890-B87F6723290F-4947-00000A5254A0B0AA.jpg I'm trying to decide between the Magpul UBR or PRS stock, and I'm undecided on which FF setup to run.(Geissele,Noveske..?) I will be picking up another Geissele SSA/E,
And I need to get a good optic.

The range I shoot at near our cabin goes out to 800 yards, so having two 18" rifles will be nice for my wife and I, or if a buddy comes up. I'm looking forward to learning to shoot at distance, and eventually hand loading. For now I'm really enjoying building these rifles.

Sorry for the rambling post, I'll go back to reading and learning now :)

Tzintzuntzan
05-07-13, 17:02
Looks like two good builds. My only recommendation is not to use a gas block that uses screws to attach itself to the barrel. I'm guessing you put as much blasting ammo as you could through the two them and I'm happy to see the SPR's performance.

Highvoltage
05-07-13, 17:09
Thanks!
I've put about 350 rounds through the 16" gun, and it runs great. I only have maybe 50 through the 18" so far.

I wanted Mk12 ish look to the 18 incher, thus the PRI sight. I don't expect much hard use with it, so I'm not too concerned.

The 18" Noveske bbl build will use their pinned/set screwed block, and will be covered by whichever FF system I decide to go with, so I should be all set.

Thanks for the advice!

MistWolf
05-08-13, 20:04
I like what you've put together. I find recoil with the Battlecomp is softened a bit and with the 55 gr bullets it's like shooting an over grown 22.

For the second SPR, I would choose the UBR. I like simple, I like the feel of the UBR and I believe it's lighter than the PRS.

I see you have KNS pins. Keep in mind Geisselle says the KNS pins are not compatible with their triggers.

I have a PRI Delta with all the rails removed on a precision AR. I like it very much

Highvoltage
05-08-13, 21:34
Thanks..KNS pins will be gone with the Geissele triggers for sure, I have 2 gen 2 chainsaws coming Friday, I'll be ordering another SSA/e and SSA to go with them.

I like the UBR, any thoughts, pro or con with the proprietary buffer tube?

MistWolf
05-08-13, 23:08
The receiver extension itself is not proprietary, it's what's called an entry length extension and it uses a carbine buffer & spring. It allows the use of a short fixed stock such as the sully stock. Over it goes the adapter that the stock mounts to
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Build/UBR001.jpg (http://s115.photobucket.com/user/SgtSongDog/media/AR%20Build/UBR001.jpg.html)
The stock assembly is really tough. I think it was Military Moron that did drop to destruction test on the UBR and other adjustable stocks. What they had to finally resort to in order to break it is unbelievable.

As for myself, I think folks (in the civilian world) worry too much about proprietary parts. If I break the UBR to the point I cannot use it, it will be easy to remove the RE and stock and install a replacement using a carbine RE and appropriate stock. Or replace the entire lower until the broken one can be repaired.

The biggest reason I don't worry about the UBR having proprietary parts is because I'm certain it will my great-great grandchild who will finally wear it out

masakari
05-09-13, 09:16
The receiver extension itself is not proprietary, it's what's called an entry length extension and it uses a carbine buffer & spring. It allows the use of a short fixed stock such as the sully stock. Over it goes the adapter that the stock mounts to
http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n289/SgtSongDog/AR%20Build/UBR001.jpg (http://s115.photobucket.com/user/SgtSongDog/media/AR%20Build/UBR001.jpg.html)
The stock assembly is really tough. I think it was Military Moron that did drop to destruction test on the UBR and other adjustable stocks. What they had to finally resort to in order to break it is unbelievable.

As for myself, I think folks (in the civilian world) worry too much about proprietary parts. If I break the UBR to the point I cannot use it, it will be easy to remove the RE and stock and install a replacement using a carbine RE and appropriate stock. Or replace the entire lower until the broken one can be repaired.

The biggest reason I don't worry about the UBR having proprietary parts is because I'm certain it will my great-great grandchild who will finally wear it out
I agree. the UBR is indestructible. and it is also by far, my favorite stock ever.

Highvoltage
05-09-13, 09:34
All great points...I'll pick one up for the 18" Noveske build. The added weight should help balance that bbl out nicely. I still have to decide which FF setup to go with. As I'm in no huge rush, I have time to consider all my options.

I'm happy with the Fortis on the 16 incher, but I'm looking hard at the NSR in a longer length, as well as the Geissele mk4 whenever that come out in longer lengths.

I'm starting the process to setup my NFA trust, so I'll be able to get a suppressor. Since I'll be doing a .300 blk upper build, I'll be opting for a 7.62 can, and using it for my 5.56 guns as well.

I still have a lot to learn about rifles, as I've mainly focused on handguns since that is what I carry and shoot most often. I've found I really enjoy building these carbines, and look forward to becoming proficient with them. Thanks for the advice/feedback, it's appreciated.

hk_shootr
05-09-13, 10:00
Damn solid builds..........:cool:

Highvoltage
05-20-13, 15:41
Almost ready to finish my third rifle. Just waiting on a few parts
Noveske genII chainsaw lower
Noveske 18" SPR bbl
Geissele Mk4 rail 13"
Geissele SSA/E
Magpul grip and stock
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa91/highvoltage29/d7cbfed2ab9f890fd18b25de82d7cfbd.jpg
Waiting on Larue Stealth upper, AAC 51t Brakeout, and deciding on BUIS.

I'll have to edit the OP since I deleted the pics by mistake.

billybronco
05-21-13, 15:08
damn bud.....i hope i'm wrong, for your sake, i truly do but i "THINK" that the MK4 is not compatible with the Larue upper.

from another site:

Provided FWIW, they do not fit on a LaRue billet upper. I am not an overly technical/engineer/machinest so the explanation will be from my layman's perspective and I'm sure with non-standard terms.

The Geissele MKI and MKII mount using a barrel nut with two mounting screws akin the LMT MRP. The rail slips over the nut and over the upper so the side anti-rotation screws can engage and further clamp the rail in place. The LaRue billet upper has an oversized front ejection port mount that does not allow the Geissele rail to slip over the upper. FWIW - the Geissele also will not fit the early LMT uppers that had the extra slanted extension from the 1913 upper rail slanting downwards from the rail to the ejection port on the right side of the rail.

Highvoltage
05-21-13, 19:24
I'll have to take a look at the Larue upper I already have. Worst case scenario is I cancel my order, or buy a different, additional stripped upper. I can even swap with the BCM blem upper I have the PRI/BCM bbl installed in currently.

Slight pain in the ass, but not the end of the world. Thanks for pointing it out to me!

Highvoltage
05-21-13, 20:00
I knew that it was not compatible with the MUR uppers, bud didn't see the Larue Stealth mentioned. I'll pull the Fortis Rev off my Larue upper and see for sure.

Highvoltage
05-23-13, 11:27
The Geissele rail definitely will not work with the Larue billet uppers. I think that it would be possible to remove the small amount of material from the dust cover mount that interferes. I'm not sure I'll do it, but might give it a shot when my upper arrives.

For now I'm mounting the 18 SPR Noveske bbl and Mk4 rail on a milspec upper I have. I test fit the rail and it feels great, and rock solid. Installation will be simple, as you just torque the bbl nut, and go, no indexing required for the gas tube. The only pain in the ass is the dowel pin used with Noveske Bbls. At least they've been shipping them with the pin not installed, so you only have to battle it once. I got the pin about halfway through yesterday, before I ran out of time. I'll get back to it tonight or this weekend.

I still need to get a set of irons, and decide on a stock. It's getting the spare CTR I have for now. I'm thinking with the light weight rail, 18" bbl, the gun will balance well with a heavier stock like the UBR. I'll try the CTR, Emod, and Larue RAT first, and if I feel it would be worth it, order the UBR.

Highvoltage
05-23-13, 15:59
Finished mounting the bbl and rail setup. I put on an a2 hider for now, I'll add a comp/brake later. I put the upper on the one I had my BCM bbl on, I'll build a dedicated Noveske lower this weekend. I just need to get my trigger.
How it looks now:
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa91/highvoltage29/F787CF9E-D83D-4461-838B-41A7CAC0D135-6527-000007710B950A41.jpg

1 2 many
05-23-13, 23:52
Nice. Parts.

slamd095
05-24-13, 16:29
Nice. Parts.

Thanks for the insight.

Great Build! Curious as to how it performs. I think you will like the Larue RAT over your other choices. For me it just felt better and easier to use, but I have not had any experience with the CTR.