PDA

View Full Version : Magpul EMAG update?

Juicebox
05-07-13, 21:27
Was looking at the EMAGs I received today and noticed they now have the over-travel stop on them. Guess it's a good thing as I've and others have shoved the EMAGs too far into our weapons and gotten them stuck. Just letting those know that didn't know before incase you were looking at getting some EMAGs. I didn't see any picture changes on Magpul's website nor on the website I ordered from. Nor did any of them mention it.

New EMAG
Date stamp: 03/13.

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag52/BillyC1636/IMG_0003_zps251ca1d9.jpg

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag52/BillyC1636/IMG_0010_zps36ad9005.jpg

old EMAG
Date stamp:03/11

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag52/BillyC1636/IMG_0004_zps75481cee.jpg

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag52/BillyC1636/IMG_0011_zps50e3131c.jpg

Side by side:

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag52/BillyC1636/IMG_0009_zps7bf98efd.jpg

http://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag52/BillyC1636/IMG_0006_zps7ff7285a.jpg

ordered them from DSGARMS 04MAY13 received 07MAY13 for those who were wondering where I got em.

Hkbeltfed
05-08-13, 18:12
I wonder why they bothered? Doesn't the M3 provide all the advantages of the emag over the m2 pmag anyway?

SPQR476
05-08-13, 18:45
We have EMAG molds. The EMAG is a great mag except for the over-insertion possibility in standard ARs. (I ran them almost exclusively before the M3 was finished.) We can still make a whole bunch of EMAGs.

So, we added the over-insertion stops to make them more standard AR/M4-friendly, and lowered the price.

There are still some peculiarities that make them a bit pricier, but in the current environment, they are still a pretty good deal.

We've made EMAGs like this for a specific customer for years now, so we just modded the rest of the molds.

When we say we're making every magazine we can without compromising on quality, we're not kidding.

tog
05-08-13, 18:54
Does the tab sticking out of the mag present a problem when removing from a pouch or other gear? Looks like it would hook onto something at the wrong time.

SPQR476
05-08-13, 20:16
It's the same tab as the m3, and is ramped so it doesn't catch. Some have had issues with very tight pouches, especially if you grab rifle mags the same as you grab pistol mags, but I've had no issues with even the tightest shingles with bungees when using a beer can grip.

mic2377
05-08-13, 21:17
I have run the older style with no issue. However I do not ram and jam my magazines home, at least not hard enough to damage the overinsertion tab. Also they run 300 BLK without issue. I am sure this next generation is an improvement.

I also just ordered some from DSG that I will be getting tomorrow, so I will likely be getting to trial the new style now too...

Juicebox
05-08-13, 22:00
I've personally preferred my EMAGs over all other PMAGs I have, from GEN1-GEN3s, because of their profile and how they fit in all of my mag carriers. I've had a couple get stuck in my weapon, during a combat reload, that required a couple of us to pull the darn thing out of the weapon. I'll be on the range Thursday and Friday and I'll be able to give these things a nice testing to see if they'll be my daily carry mags. My first mag loaded into the weapon is usually the EMAG, with my emergency mags being the GEN1. GEN2 doesn't drop free from my weapon and the GEN3 just doesn't come out of my TT mag pouches very easily. Until I get those TT mag pouches swapped out, I'll continue to run my older EMAGs and my GEN1s.

SPQR476
05-09-13, 00:03
I did a tutorial on stretching mag pouches by soaking them in water and stuffing them that may help your pouches without needing to swap them for some guys that had tight ones for our field testing. Pretty easy.

eodcolret
05-09-13, 07:18
Like the EMAG but wish they also came in FDE.

masakari
05-09-13, 07:35
i just never understood why they were so expensive, and therefore, why people would buy them.

Juicebox
05-09-13, 08:58
I did a tutorial on stretching mag pouches by soaking them in water and stuffing them that may help your pouches without needing to swap them for some guys that had tight ones for our field testing. Pretty easy.

How long? I'll give it a try later this week

Or if you don't mind sending me a PM with the info.

Thanks

SPQR476
05-09-13, 09:21
It's in a .ppt, but the gist of it is:

You need:

1. one old USGI mag or equivalent in form factor for each pouch you want to do at one time
2. kydex or cardboard "slabs" cut into 4 pieces per mag pouch--2 skinny (just under mag width side to side), 2 wide (just under mag width front to back). Kydex or other sheet plastic is easier to work with, but stiff cardboard works fine.
3. A fistful of GP brushes or other skinny plastic (preferably) rods

Wet mag pouches thoroughly. I use hot water and a tiny bit of dish soap to help get them as soaked as possible. (Rinse any dish soap away before continuing.)

create a "sandwich" comprised of a magazine with the "slabs" on all four sides. Force this into each mag shingle.

Take GP brushes and insert one into each of the front corners (away from the body side of the pouch, and away from the seams).

The pouches should look like stuffed sausages at this point...very tight.

Let Dry. Remove the "stuffing". Use pouches as normal.

This has worked pretty well, and I've not had any issues with pouches that get wet again reverting to their previous, smaller, size.

I started doing this back when I needed to make SR-25 pouches work better for G3 mags, and it has been useful with min dimension pouches, like ATS, for the M3. Works like a champ.

Juicebox
05-09-13, 10:36
It's in a .ppt, but the gist of it is:

You need:

1. one old USGI mag or equivalent in form factor for each pouch you want to do at one time
2. kydex or cardboard "slabs" cut into 4 pieces per mag pouch--2 skinny (just under mag width side to side), 2 wide (just under mag width front to back). Kydex or other sheet plastic is easier to work with, but stiff cardboard works fine.
3. A fistful of GP brushes or other skinny plastic (preferably) rods

Wet mag pouches thoroughly. I use hot water and a tiny bit of dish soap to help get them as soaked as possible. (Rinse any dish soap away before continuing.)

create a "sandwich" comprised of a magazine with the "slabs" on all four sides. Force this into each mag shingle.

Take GP brushes and insert one into each of the front corners (away from the body side of the pouch, and away from the seams).

The pouches should look like stuffed sausages at this point...very tight.

Let Dry. Remove the "stuffing". Use pouches as normal.

This has worked pretty well, and I've not had any issues with pouches that get wet again reverting to their previous, smaller, size.

I started doing this back when I needed to make SR-25 pouches work better for G3 mags, and it has been useful with min dimension pouches, like ATS, for the M3. Works like a champ.

Thank you. I'll share my results next week.

eodcolret
05-09-13, 11:17
i just never understood why they were so expensive, and therefore, why people would buy them.

Agree on the price issue but still cheaper than buying HK mags for my MR556 and EMAG is best solution.

SPQR476
05-09-13, 11:31
Agree on the price issue but still cheaper than buying HK mags for my MR556 and EMAG is best solution.

If it's just MR556 compatibility you need, the GEN M3 PMAG is fully compatible.

eodcolret
05-09-13, 11:54
If it's just MR556 compatibility you need, the GEN M3 PMAG is fully compatible.

Just explaining why I had bought EMAGs in the past and I am good to go actually on the EMAG for now. I also bought the Gen 3s already via the special offer from MAGPUL for MIL/LE.:smile:

masakari
05-09-13, 12:29
Just explaining why I had bought EMAGs in the past and I am good to go actually on the EMAG for now. I also bought the Gen 3s already via the special offer from MAGPUL for MIL/LE.:smile:

I understand that.
Thats why I upgraded to the M3, just so that I would have compatibility with the USMC M27 IAR.
But now, the EMag seems obsolete, especially due to the cost.

kdcgrohl
05-09-13, 12:39
Emags are great for a tactile difference if using a different caliber, like 300BLK.

SPQR476
05-09-13, 14:06

Cool.

DDM4LV1
05-09-13, 19:04
We have EMAG molds. The EMAG is a great mag except for the over-insertion possibility in standard ARs. (I ran them almost exclusively before the M3 was finished.) We can still make a whole bunch of EMAGs.

So, we added the over-insertion stops to make them more standard AR/M4-friendly, and lowered the price.

There are still some peculiarities that make them a bit pricier, but in the current environment, they are still a pretty good deal.

We've made EMAGs like this for a specific customer for years now, so we just modded the rest of the molds.

When we say we're making every magazine we can without compromising on quality, we're not kidding.

Who is your best dealer for these, the most likely to stock them...?

Juicebox
05-10-13, 09:31
http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/MAG241BLK.aspx

In stock right now....and has been since I've ordered mine.

Thinking about ordering some more. Used them on the range last night and they actually fit in my TT pouches and don't have too hard of a time coming out as opposed to the Gen3s....

SPQR476
05-10-13, 09:42
Yep DSG has ordering them regularly.

DDM4LV1
05-10-13, 09:46
http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/MAG241BLK.aspx

In stock right now....and has been since I've ordered mine.

Thinking about ordering some more. Used them on the range last night and they actually fit in my TT pouches and don't have too hard of a time coming out as opposed to the Gen3s....

So what are the basic differences between these vs. Pmags?
The purpose of these compared to "P's"?

SPQR476
05-11-13, 10:05
The largest differences are the lack of ribs and the added compatibility with the HK416/SA-80 magazine well. There are manufacturing differences and a few other little things that make them pricier, but for all intents and purposes those two things are all that are noticeable to the end user. Springs are the same.