PDA

View Full Version : M&P 40 Mid-Size Shooting 4 to 5 inch inches low at 7 yards. Anyone have this problem?

davebee456
05-07-13, 21:51
M&P 40 Mid-Size Shooting 4 to 5 inch inches low at 7 yards. Anyone have this problem?

I tried around 150 rounds of 40 S&W 180 gr and 165 gr FMJ and 180 gr JHP all consistently grouping around 4 inches low.

I even bought a 357 SIG barrel for it last week and just shot 50 rounds of 125 gr FMJ and that also shot low.

I let a friend shoot it at range and he also said it shot low for him.

I am thinking of sending it to Smith and Wesson Customer Service but I wonder what they will be able to do besides put on a shorter front sight-(if they even make such a thing).

Anyone here experience this, I shoot my Sig and Glocks pretty good and I know it could be the trigger pull but today I really concentrated and if I would aim around 4 inches high I would actually hit the bullseye at 5 Yards.

I read online that perhaps Dawson Precision might have short front sights to fix this issue..

Thanks for any help

straterman
05-07-13, 22:14
40 midsize? U mean compact or fullsiz? But I was shooting 6 inches low with the m&p 45 I was convinced it was the gun but ended up being poor trigger control. The m&p has.a VERY different style and requires getting used to . I was jerking tje trigger because it wasso rough and it would cause tje muzzle to go down. Aftet practice it got tuns better that added apex dcaek and now its shooting super straight . Try your yrigger control before sending it in all low shots from the 40 seems to be from the trivger control. I dont think its the gun. Good luck with the problem hope u get it figured out. Have a good night.

Failure2Stop
05-07-13, 22:17
I would want to have a known competent shooter try it out.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.

davebee456
05-07-13, 22:21
It is the full size frame but not the longer slide so I call it the Midsize

straterman
05-07-13, 22:25
Oh midsize got ya. I have never herd of accuaracy issues from fullsize 40 I would bet your gun is fine

Ironman8
05-07-13, 22:27
It is the full size frame but not the longer slide so I call it the Midsize

Not to insult you, but a previous poster mentioned poor trigger control, and this was my first thought. You shouldn't see that kind of POI at that range. To be more specific, you're probably anticipating recoil and pushing shots low. Try some ball and dummy drills to see if this is the case.

But of course I'm typing this from behind a keyboard so...

davebee456
05-07-13, 22:31
I understand that the first suspect is my shooting but I just wanted to ask around

MegademiC
05-07-13, 23:04
Mine did 2 days ago. I just moved to m&p from a cz with a custom trigger. I was shooting fast. Some concentration on grip and trigger control fixed it. Do a ball and dummy drill, slowly and it should give you an idea. The m&p trigger is stiff and will show any flaw in trigger manipulation from what I can tell.

davebee456
05-07-13, 23:05
I think I am going to do the stupid thing and send it back to Smith....Maybe beg them to lighten the trigger up or check sights

okie john
05-08-13, 12:01
M&P 40 Mid-Size Shooting 4 to 5 inch inches low at 7 yards. Anyone have this problem?

If you can rule out shooter error, it's either the gun or the sights. In that case you can either send it back or get busy finding the custom sight setup that you need to get POI back where it belongs.

I had a G17 that hit way high. I sent it to Glock, who basically ignored the problem, then ended up putting custom sights on it. That gun is my EDC today, but it took several hundred rounds of ammo and several months of dicking around to get it hitting where it should.

Okie John