PDA

View Full Version : broken receivers

monkeywrench
03-29-08, 16:03
I know that if you have a registered m16 and it breaks you have to weld it of fix it some other way, that you can not have a new receiver built.

But what would happen if your SBR receiver breaks can you get a new receiver built with the same serial number?

Firecop203
03-30-08, 22:24
That question has been discussed in very great length over on AR15.com. There are many different opinions. If I recall correctly, there was an argument between Bushmaster and ATF. Bushmaster had been taking broken M-16 receivers that had been returned to them, destroying them and building new recievers with the old serial numbers and returning them to the customers. Bushmaster says that they can do that, ATF says "no you can't, you are making a new post 86 machinegun", which can not be owned by individuals. I don't know what the final outcome was, but it was a hot topic for a while. As far as an SBR receiver, I would say that you would come across the same argument.

chadbag
03-31-08, 01:39
That question has been discussed in very great length over on AR15.com. There are many different opinions. If I recall correctly, there was an argument between Bushmaster and ATF. Bushmaster had been taking broken M-16 receivers that had been returned to them, destroying them and building new recievers with the old serial numbers and returning them to the customers. Bushmaster says that they can do that, ATF says "no you can't, you are making a new post 86 machinegun", which can not be owned by individuals. I don't know what the final outcome was, but it was a hot topic for a while. As far as an SBR receiver, I would say that you would come across the same argument.

Except that there is no ban on "post 86 SBR" or any other post date on SBR. There is no manufacturing ban on SBR so the argument falls flat

Firecop203
03-31-08, 08:12
Except that there is no ban on "post 86 SBR" or any other post date on SBR. There is no manufacturing ban on SBR so the argument falls flat

OK...I'll agree to that, but you didn't answer the question. If the SBR receiver is damaged, can it be repaired or can it be replaced with a new receiver using the old serial number? I myself don't know.

markm
03-31-08, 08:40
That question has been discussed in very great length over on AR15.com.

And that's really where these silly subject should stay.

Firecop203
03-31-08, 08:59
And that's really where these silly subject should stay.

Don't fuss at me about the subject, I didn't start the post. I just stated that there was a source of information elsewhere and the jist of it. I don't consider it to be a silly subject, I look at it as a valid question and trying to help find an answer. The question still hasn't been answered.

markm
03-31-08, 09:09
I'm not fussin' at you. It's just a ridiculous, far fetched, "what if" scenario.

bspring
03-31-08, 10:58
I remember reading that the original manufacturer could replace a damaged receiver, restamp the serial number..etc. Take it for what its worth, check with the ATF.

Bill