PDA

View Full Version : Single Stack 9mm

firecop019
03-29-08, 17:59
I was wondering if I could get some suggestions on single stack 9mm. My dad wants to get a .380 for his carry gun and I'm trying to talk him into a 9mm. If I can't find something I'm probably going to point him towards the Ruger LCP. If anyone has any ideas on a 9mm that is roughly that size for around $500 I'd really appreciate it. I like the small Kahr's but I think they'll be out of his price range.

Thanks

rubberneck
03-29-08, 18:19
Bud's has German police trade in Sig 225 for $325. They make really nice carry guns and you can always send it back to Sig for the once over if the used thing really bothers you. I haven't shot the new Walther PPS but I have held one and dry fired it and it felt pretty good in the hand. Other than those two there isn't much in the way of single stack 9MM out there for less than $500.

Alpha Sierra
03-29-08, 20:23
Do not overlook the superb Smith & Wesson 3913.

John_Wayne777
03-29-08, 20:24
There aren't going to be many 9mms the size of the LCP.....

As far as good single stack 9mm pistols, if you can find a used Sig P239 or S&W 3913, that would be my pick.

I own both.

IrishDevil
03-29-08, 20:42
I'll +1 the 3913, great little guns. Personally I'm a fan of the Kahr's, I have a K9 and love it. I've seen some good deals on used Kahr's in the past. The 225 is a great gun if you like Sigs, I sold mine recently only because I prefer the Kahr.

ToddG
03-29-08, 21:04
As John_Wayne777 pointed out, you're not going to find a LCP-sized 9mm pistol. It's amazing you can find a LCP-sized LCP, in my opinion. :cool:

The smallest available 9mm pistol I'm aware of is the Rohrbaugh R9. Definitely not within your price bracket, though. Your best bet for <$500 is going to be a used pistol in good shape. SIG P225 or P239, S&W 3913, or Kahr are all options.

Is he looking for a .380 due to size or recoil? Most .380's recoil substantially more than an equivalent 9mm because they use a different mechanism for keeping the gun locked during the firing cycle. So if it's about shooting comfort, a slightly larger, heavier, 9mm pistol will be better for him. If it's all about size, just getting a .380 in an LCP-sized pistol is, as I mentioned, quite a feat.

You might also want to consider a S&W j-frame (revolver). Not as small as the LCP but extremely concealable, lightweight, and easy to use.

Alpha Sierra
03-29-08, 22:16
You might also want to consider a S&W j-frame (revolver). Not as small as the LCP but extremely concealable, lightweight, and easy to use.
Indeed.

And more powerful to boot.

DrMark
03-30-08, 09:06

Yep.

I've owned a 3953 (DAO version of the 3913) for over 15 years, and it's been ergonomic, concealable, accurate, and completely reliable.

rubberneck
03-30-08, 10:33
Indeed.

And more powerful to boot.

I am not a big fan of 38 special but I guess it does beat a 380 ACP. I must admit that the new Federal 327 magnum could cause me to rethink my position on carrying a snubbie if more companies were to make loads for it and if S&W decides to make a 6 shot snubbie for it.

Sorry for the slight thread hijack.

Alpha Sierra
03-30-08, 11:57
I am not a big fan of 38 special.
Getcha some 158 gr LSWCHP +P from Remington (good) or Buffalo Bore (best).

John_Wayne777
03-30-08, 14:29
I am not a big fan of 38 special but I guess it does beat a 380 ACP.

By a wide margin.

The S&W J frame is THE most popular BUG you'll find in law enforcement and in many civilian circles as well. People like Ken Hackathorn and Larry Vickers have had some very positive things to say about the little J frames.

A J frame is a SUPERB idea. Load it with 135 grain +P Speer Gold dot ammo, and put Crimson Trace laser grips on it, and viola! You've got an effective, lightweight, concealable weapon that will be easier to make hits with under stress at all sorts of ranges.

rubberneck
03-30-08, 15:22
By a wide margin.

The S&W J frame is THE most popular BUG you'll find in law enforcement and in many civilian circles as well. People like Ken Hackathorn and Larry Vickers have had some very positive things to say about the little J frames.

A J frame is a SUPERB idea. Load it with 135 grain +P Speer Gold dot ammo, and put Crimson Trace laser grips on it, and viola! You've got an effective, lightweight, concealable weapon that will be easier to make hits with under stress at all sorts of ranges.

I wasn't questioning the utility of the J frame itself but the under powered cartridge that it is most commonly associated with. Sure a 38 special is better than a sharp stick and certainly better than some other cartridges, but it is what it is, and that is an underpowered (by modern standards) 99 year old design.

That is the reason why the 327 Federal magnum is appealing to me. It bridges the gap between 38 +p and 357 magnum while being able to slide a 6th round into a J frame sized cylinder. You get a more effective cartridge in the same package.

Alpha Sierra
03-30-08, 15:45
The .38 Smith & Wesson Special is often derided as an underpowered 100 year old design. The funny thing is that it has left a wake of dead people hundres of miles long in that century.

I do not feel undergunned with a handgun so chambered in the least. Particularly not with my choice of loading.

rubberneck
03-30-08, 16:04
The .38 Smith & Wesson Special is often derided as an underpowered 100 year old design. The funny thing is that it has left a wake of dead people hundres of miles long in that century.

I do not feel undergunned with a handgun so chambered in the least. Particularly not with my choice of loading.

It certainly does work but on the continuum of effective self defense cartridges it is much closer to the ineffective end than many other cartridges. I knew referring to its age would draw some fire, as the 45 ACP is nearly as old, but what was once considered state of the art is no longer. The 45 ACP is still the rare exception to that rule. As I said earlier it still beats carrying nothing or a sharp stick.

I'd also like to point out that my comments are my own personal opinions of what I prefer. If you don't agree with that who am I to say you are wrong. I just prefer a little more meat on the ribs, if you will. YMMV.

John_Wayne777
03-30-08, 18:40
I wasn't questioning the utility of the J frame itself but the under powered cartridge that it is most commonly associated with. Sure a 38 special is better than a sharp stick and certainly better than some other cartridges, but it is what it is, and that is an underpowered (by modern standards) 99 year old design.

The Speer load I mentioned was developed specifically to provide a round that offers acceptable penetration and reliable expansion from one of the super-small J frames. It has performed very well in ballistic testing thusfar.

I've never seen any testing data on the 327 Federal Magnum....but in general making lighter bullets and pushing them to higher velocities doesn't necessarily translate into better terminal ballistics. The age of the cartridge isn't the limiting factor here.

Rather, it is the amount of performance you can squeeze out of a light-weight, compact revolver with a 1 7/8" long barrel.

That is the reason why the 327 Federal magnum is appealing to me. It bridges the gap between 38 +p and 357 magnum while being able to slide a 6th round into a J frame sized cylinder. You get a more effective cartridge in the same package.

Well....that's the goal, anyway....;)

Whether or not the .327 actually delivers that kind of performance has yet to be seen. When DocGKR gets some testing done with it we'll know more. In the meantime, I'm reluctant to encourage people to get too worked up about a new handgun caliber offering that's supposed to be "revolutionary".

I'm kind of an old fashioned guy. I don't like carrying what I consider to be untested weapons and ammo. The super small J frame may not be perfect, but it's a known quantity and there's something to be said for that, in my opinion.

John_Wayne777
03-30-08, 18:43
It certainly does work but on the continuum of effective self defense cartridges it is much closer to the ineffective end than many other cartridges. I knew referring to its age would draw some fire, as the 45 ACP is nearly as old, but what was once considered state of the art is no longer.

The 9mm is also 100 years old. ;) The basic idea for the .327 is older than that.

When it comes to firearms there really is very little that's new under the sun.

sjc3081
03-30-08, 22:46
My 3913 is perfect, shoots dead on and always goes bang.

firecop019
03-31-08, 00:09
He wants the .380 because of the size I think.

I tried to talk him into just getting a little j frame but he didn't like that idea. I carry the s&w 342 as my backup gun and love it. I wasn't loving it when we did a 50 round qualification course but for a backup gun I really like it.

If he can manage to find one of the little LCP's that's probably what he'll go with.

Thanks for the help

-gary
03-31-08, 11:15
Don't forget the Kel-Tec PF-9 or P-11. Crappy little guns, but they get the job done.

noslorob
03-31-08, 12:36
I owned a Kahr subcompact 9mm before the polymer model came out . Great little gun, and very accurate. They are not worth the price in my opinion, and a little heavy to carry on the ankle. The PM model should be the ticket for weight though, but still too pricey. If you have the extra money I would highly recommend the Kahr.
I currently own a Kel-Tec PF-9 that is undergoing testing. I'm far from sold on it as the end all be all, and probably never will be. BUT, out of 600 rounds it has not failed to go boom, and it is the smallest/lightest 9mm I have carried. It is a single stack mag but holds 7+1. The price is cheap at $265 on Gunbroker, but you get what you pay for. I don't expect it to live forever and am surprised it hasn't failed me already. But when loaded with Winchester Ranger+P+, it will ruin anyones day if it must be used.

ToddG
03-31-08, 15:20
]

Mantra-worthy.

John_Wayne777
03-31-08, 19:49
Mantra-worthy.

I'm certainly not an expert and I didn't even stay at a holiday inn last night, but in my opinion the little S&W J frames are one of the most versatile personal defense options on the market. While not my favorite option for a primary carry gun, it's the best compromise of power, reliability, and concealability you can find in its range.

I think my opinion is shared by a number of the HSLD types....

At the low light class I asked the AI if I could fire a few rounds through my 442 during a break in the instruction. Ken Hackathorn stopped what he was doing and hollered across the range:

"Ah, now there's a man with a REAL gun!"

He came over and sung the praises of the 442. I told him that I bought it as a backup gun after seeing a gun writer named Ken something talk about how great an option it was many years ago.....;)

He said:

"A lot of the big name writers and trainers you see who talk about all this high speed equipment walk around every day with just one of those little J frames in their pocket. You can't go wrong with 'em."

Alpha Sierra
03-31-08, 20:58
It is un-American to not have at least one J frame or Dick's Special. ;)

Oscar 319
03-31-08, 22:13

+1 for the 3919.

noslorob
04-01-08, 16:58
I also own a J frame, and agree that it is one of the finest backups ever made. No malfunctions, always goes boom, lightweight, what more could you ask for in a tiny package.

Mr.B
04-01-08, 22:42
I'd go with the Ruger LCP as you mentioned before.

The recoil isn't supposed to be as bad as some of the other .380 pocket pistols, due to the locked breech design vs. the direct blowback most of them have.

This is internet hearsay until I get a chance to fire mine, though. :D

ToddG
04-01-08, 23:05
In the FWIW Department, Crimson Trace announced today that they have a set of Lasergrips in development for the LCP.

rubberneck
04-02-08, 08:47
In the FWIW Department, Crimson Trace announced today that they have a set of Lasergrips in development for the LCP.

And yet they still can't find the time to make left handed grips for the most commonly manufactured guns.:rolleyes:

DM-SC
04-02-08, 09:24
The Kel-Tec PF-9 fits well into the small, light 9mm niche. I've had mine since December. I've only fired 350 rounds (all JHP's) or so through it so far but, it's been problem free.

The folks on KTOG are reporting few problems with the latest revision PF-9's.

It's not a gun you'll take to the range for a 'fun" day. Recoil is quite sharp with +P loads! I'm carrying 147gr JHP's and they are quite manageable.

DM-SC
04-02-08, 09:24
And yet they still can't find the time to make left handed grips for the most commonly manufactured guns.:rolleyes:

Yeah! What's up with that? :rolleyes:

M4arc
04-02-08, 09:44
What about the Walther PPS? It looks like the perfect 9mm in a 380 package.

rubberneck
04-02-08, 09:47
Yeah! What's up with that? :rolleyes:

At least they make a set of grips for the perfect carry/home defense gun, the .22 cal Ruger MKII and III.

John_Wayne777
04-02-08, 10:15
What about the Walther PPS? It looks like the perfect 9mm in a 380 package.

If it pans out to be a reliable and durable little handgun, I'm all for it...

I'd just be more comfortable if it had more T&E time in other people's hands before I bit the bullet to buy one. I love my P99 but I don't want to be on the "bleeding edge" of handgun design, if you get my meaning...:D

hossb7
04-02-08, 22:47
Kahr CW9 is $388 shipped from Bud's Guns

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/18442

Really affordable, if you ask me. Plus, it gives him over $100 from his budget for ammo/training/mags/etc

Combat_Diver
04-05-08, 08:30
Lets see if I remember the dates correctly...

.38 Smith and Wesson Special 1898/1899
.32 ACP 1899/1900
9x19mm 1902
.45 ACP 1905
.380 ACP 1908

There's another excellent single stack just $100+ and that's the HK P7. Other single stack 9's on the used gun market are the Walther P38/P1s, Star Model Bs. The best of those under his price would be the SIG 225/P6. I would also highly recommend one of the Smith & Wesson 3900 series.

CD

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-05-08, 11:17
I tend to carry my Kahr PM9. It is picky about hollowpoints, but I have found various loads that it likes.

My all time favorite carry pistol is the P7, but it is heavy by current standards.

Gutshot John
04-06-08, 12:56
I picked up an HK P7 PSP for about $600 a few months ago. It's a neat little piece and though I don't carry it regularly it's very concealable.

The only thing I don't like is the Euro mag release.