PDA

View Full Version : Any Toyota LandCruiser owners here?

C4IGrant
05-09-13, 08:57
I am looking hard at buying one, but would like to hear from some actual owners before doing so.

C4

jstalford
05-09-13, 09:12
I don't have one now, but my dad had a '93 for a while, then an '83, than an '88. The '83/'88 were both passed 200k when we got them and never had any problems with them other than breaking shit 4wheeling and regular maintenance. The only reason we went through 3 was b/c my mom wrecked the '93 on black ice, and I got hit by a Grand Cherokee in the '83 and rolled it a couple times. '88 got sold when my dad moved to the BVI and didn't think I wanted it.

They are underpowered gas guzzlers, but bulletproof. I learned to drive stick on the '83. 0-60 in like 30 seconds downhill, and 12mpg, but still badass.

I would get another one if I didn't have a 100mile/day commute.

Noodles
05-09-13, 09:37
IMO, getting a land cruiser in the states, is like being really into Sig or HK rifles. They have a history, they are popular in other parts of the world, you're going to pay out the ass for parts, parts will break, you'll be in a small club of owners but you'll find everything ends up being more time and/or more money.

If you got a Jeep, that's unarguably the AR-15 of the rugged vehicle world. At least in the United States.

But, if you need the land cruiser name/logo, by all means. I've just know. PLENTY of people that have been there. Everyone one of them has ended up with a Jeep.

If you can't find something right for you or your budget between a CJ, YJ, TJ, or JK, you have unrealistic expectations of what you need.

C4IGrant
05-09-13, 09:46
IMO, getting a land cruiser in the states, is like being really into Sig or HK rifles. They have a history, they are popular in other parts of the world, you're going to pay out the ass for parts, parts will break, you'll be in a small club of owners but you'll find everything ends up being more time and/or more money.

If you got a Jeep, that's unarguably the AR-15 of the rugged vehicle world. At least in the United States.

But, if you need the land cruiser name/logo, by all means. I've just know. PLENTY of people that have been there. Everyone one of them has ended up with a Jeep.

If you can't find something right for you or your budget between a CJ, YJ, TJ, or JK, you have unrealistic expectations of what you need.

I am not a fan of the company that makes Jeep's, so I am out on them (sorry). They are also way too small for my needs.

I have owned Lexus and Toyota vehicles in the past and found them to be UBER reliable and from reading all the reviews online, the Landcruiser is no different.

Oh, and I am a German Vehicle fan (own two BMW's), German Gun fan (many HK's and SIG's) and German Tool fan (Wiha) soooooo. ;)

C4

Army Chief
05-09-13, 10:01
MB G-Class / Geländewagen?

AC

C4IGrant
05-09-13, 10:04
MB G-Class / Geländewagen?

AC

Like them, but the cost and the size kind of put me off. I am also not a huge fan of MB.

C4

jstalford
05-09-13, 10:05
Me either, but the G-Wagon is dope if you can afford one.

Noodles
05-09-13, 10:15
I am not a fan of the company that makes Jeep's, so I am out on them (sorry). They are also way too small for my needs.

I have owned Lexus and Toyota vehicles in the past and found them to be UBER reliable and from reading all the reviews online, the Landcruiser is no different.

Lol, ok. Anyone that thinks Chrylser or GM is the devil, but that Ford or Toyota or Tada or Hyundai or anyone else is A-OK has a little to learn about the auto industry. There are no saints.

Perhaps you would be comforted knowing that the current Jeep transmission is 100% mercedes benz, the frames are mostly Hyundai to Chrylser spec, and the rest of the make up is just as much Siemens, Johnson Controls, and Magna as every other car out there.

And if a 4-dr JK doesn't suit your size needs, nothing in the states will.

But, OK, go for the land rover. Personally, if I were you, I would look into the Overland Expo coming up in Flagstaff (i think) every possible combination of MONEY + Landrover will be there, as well as Jeeps and other stuff. Anyone interested in actually using a Landrover should see that as a crash course to "what is this really going to cost me"... Spoiler... It's a lot.

TMS951
05-09-13, 10:16
I own a 1979 FJ40 right now, barely drive it, buts its cool. More of a collectors piece.

I have had a 1994 land cruiser as a daily driver.

The land cruiser has always been right at the top of the game for a real 4wd SUV. They are always body on frame trucks. I would buy one with out thinking twice. The new ones are however very expensive, and the used ones hold their value very well.

If you like bullet proof German vehicles consider a mercedes G-wagen. I have one right now and this thing is the HK USP of trucks. The design has gone mostly unchanged since 1979 with only things like engine and interior being upgraded. They one of they few vehicles still hand made, they have been hand made in the same factory in Austria since 1979.

They too are extremely expensive, much more so than the landcruiser. The one sitting at my local dealer ship is 113k$. But like many expensive german vehicles they do not hold their value at all and plummet in price the minute they drive off the lot. This makes them a much much better value in the used market than the landcruiser.

Mine is a 2000 G500, it is a grey market import and has a little less of the "luxury equipment" than the US ones. Things like less air bags, non-auto climate control, no Nav. I much prefer it this way. Because it was grey market and very rare in 2000 the original owner paid 140k$ for it, I bought it used in 2010 with 54k miles on it for 28k$. I got a killer deal, but other great deals are out there, especially if you are willing pay new landcruiser money for it, but there are very nice examples for 45K, which is used landcruiser money.

A totally different car from the Landcruiser and G-wagen is the BMW X5. Excellent vehicle and made in the USA, not sure if its enough of a truck for you though.

Edit to add: I see other people suggested the g class before I finished typing.

To its size: It is very narrow, designed to go through small european village streets. I am constantly amazed where it fits. Also because of its front live axle and steering knuckles turning radius is amazing, better than my BMW 3 series by a good margin. It is how ever heavy at 5600lbs.

Army Chief
05-09-13, 10:19
Like them, but the cost and the size kind of put me off. I am also not a huge fan of MB.

C4

Nuts. So I guess the whole idea of a G&R Unimog is pretty much out then, too. ;)

AC

Army Chief
05-09-13, 10:23
A totally different car from the Landcruiser and G-wagen is the BMW X5. Excellent vehicle and made in the USA, not sure if its enough of a truck for you though.

I've long had an interest in the X5; especially now that diesel variants are readily available. The problem with the X5, of course, is that it has less usable storage space than a standard 5 series touring model.

Great vehicle -- just not particularly well-suited for large loads.

AC

jstalford
05-09-13, 10:29
I would absolutely rock a diesel X5, but if I were looking for one it would be for a totally different purpose than a TLC.

Noodles
05-09-13, 10:35
I would absolutely rock a diesel X5, but if I were looking for one it would be for a totally different purpose than a TLC.

O.o you guys directly compare large car / X5 to a body on frame LC? So... this is definitely not a collection of car guys.

And yea, Gelandewagen... for when you want a Jeep, but want to pay 3x for it.

munch520
05-09-13, 10:38
Nuts. So I guess the whole idea of a G&R Unimog is pretty much out then, too. ;)

AC

Now there's a great idea!

munch520
05-09-13, 10:38
O.o you guys directly compare large car / X5 to a body on frame LC? So... this is definitely not a collection of car guys.

Lighten up

jstalford
05-09-13, 10:44

How was I directly comparing them? My post said I would be looking at them to serve two completely different purposes...

TMS951
05-09-13, 10:52

You understand every one talking about the X5 recognized it as "totally different", in reference to Grants statement of liking German cars its on point for the discussion.

You do how ever realize your argument that the jeep will do everything the G-wagen will do is the same as "My bushmaster/dpms/turd is as good as...", you don't own a Bushmaster do you? Probably....

and one last tid bit for you, in case you missed it, Jeep is going to make cars in China. After getting an ~80billion dollar bail out. If you can support a company like that as an American we are made up of different moral fiber. I will buy a European product before some mock piece of shit "American" product made in mexico or china. MB hasn't taken any bail outs, nor do their unions support Obama.

Jeep in China: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324493704578434010293334742.html

We could make them here and export them, but **** it, why employ Americans by an American company bailed out by the US government.

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-09-13, 11:00
I've long had an interest in the X5; especially now that diesel variants are readily available. The problem with the X5, of course, is that it has less usable storage space than a standard 5 series touring model.

AC

Wife has a 5 series station wagon and while I was in for service I talked to a guy that had his diesel x5 in for service. He loved it, but if you run out of the Bluetech Urea, the car won't start again (or will only once). He was on a cross country trip and had to stop in Denver because the notice came on that he had to get more urea. Everything is 500 miles from Denver, so if he hadn't gotten it done there he would have had to been towed to a dealer to get more urea.

Thank you, but no. Don't know if they all work that way

I was also interested in a LC when the new models came out. I went to the Toyota dealer in Aurora and the said they didn't have one on the lot and didn't sell very many. The first sales guy I talked to looked at me like I had two heads. The second tried to get me into a Sequoa.. :(

Damn they are expensive! I guess in the same league with a Escalade and Range Rover, but damn. It does seem like they hold their value better than those- and you can roll up in an LC and not have people think you are a rapper or a English lord.

There is the MB G-wagen, but also their GL is body on frame which seems like a better alternative than an X5.

Jeeps just dissapoints on quality. I had two JGCs and they just had bad engineering- great design, but crap just not up to snuff.

C4IGrant
05-09-13, 11:01
Lol, ok. Anyone that thinks Chrylser or GM is the devil, but that Ford or Toyota or Tada or Hyundai or anyone else is A-OK has a little to learn about the auto industry. There are no saints.

No, I am aware, but some are just more "evil" than others.

Perhaps you would be comforted knowing that the current Jeep transmission is 100% mercedes benz, the frames are mostly Hyundai to Chrylser spec, and the rest of the make up is just as much Siemens, Johnson Controls, and Magna as every other car out there.

Current production Jeeps may be more reliable than older ones, but I have just seen too many GM products be unreliable to give them a second look.

But, OK, go for the land rover. Personally, if I were you, I would look into the Overland Expo coming up in Flagstaff (i think) every possible combination of MONEY + Landrover will be there, as well as Jeeps and other stuff. Anyone interested in actually using a Landrover should see that as a crash course to "what is this really going to cost me"... Spoiler... It's a lot.

My wife will drive the vehicle (mostly) and we will use it as a long trip vehicle. I doubt that it will ever see any serious off road activities.

C4

C4IGrant
05-09-13, 11:03

AC

Agree. Just too small for me.

C4

C4IGrant
05-09-13, 11:04
Lighten up

He can't help it.

C4

C4IGrant
05-09-13, 11:06
You understand every one talking about the X5 recognized it as "totally different", in reference to Grants statement of liking German cars its on point for the discussion.

You do how ever realize your argument that the jeep will do everything the G-wagen will do is the same as "My bushmaster/dpms/turd is as good as...", you don't own a Bushmaster do you? Probably....

and one last tid bit for you, in case you missed it, Jeep is going to make cars in China. After getting an ~80billion dollar bail out. If you can support a company like that as an American we are made up of different moral fiber. I will buy a European product before some mock piece of shit "American" product made in mexico or china. MB hasn't taken any bail outs, nor do their unions support Obama.

Jeep in China: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324493704578434010293334742.html

We could make them here and export them, but **** it, why employ Americans by an American company bailed out by the US government.

Right and is my problem with them.

C4

jstalford
05-09-13, 11:20
If it's not going off road, I'm not sure I would go the TLC route then.

C4IGrant
05-09-13, 11:28
If it's not going off road, I'm not sure I would go the TLC route then.

I follow one basic philosphy in life. Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

This is why I have reserves of food, water, ammo, guns. This is why I take night fighting CQB classes. This is why I have NV and IR lasers. This is why I have body armor. You get the point.

In the event that I have to "bug out" I want a vehicle that is reliable and capable. In the meantime (or the fact that nothing bad ever happens), I want a vehicle that is a nice ride to the mall. ;)

C4

7.62WildBill
05-09-13, 11:52
Several friends have had Landcrusiers. Tough, but the sheet metal they used for the bodies seems to rust very easily. My wife drives a 4runner that was handed down from my Dad. 10 years in the family and no major problems.

My buddy found this very rare FJ40 a couple years ago. Diesel, 4 door, pick-up bed...PURE AWESOMENESS! Imported from Australia, hence the right hand drive.

http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s488/wildwoodbill000/9416450F-B33F-4879-BB14-87555FFE2BB0-452-00000012B49A89F8_zps580cafc5.jpg (http://s1054.photobucket.com/user/wildwoodbill000/media/9416450F-B33F-4879-BB14-87555FFE2BB0-452-00000012B49A89F8_zps580cafc5.jpg.html)
http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s488/wildwoodbill000/9D581777-009D-4A0C-9321-3FD31BA6F315-452-00000012AEF244DC_zps0beecb90.jpg (http://s1054.photobucket.com/user/wildwoodbill000/media/9D581777-009D-4A0C-9321-3FD31BA6F315-452-00000012AEF244DC_zps0beecb90.jpg.html)
http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s488/wildwoodbill000/35A7BC27-F5F2-40CA-AC6E-5E91B54E4EDB-452-00000012B20EF6A8_zpse57ed643.jpg (http://s1054.photobucket.com/user/wildwoodbill000/media/35A7BC27-F5F2-40CA-AC6E-5E91B54E4EDB-452-00000012B20EF6A8_zpse57ed643.jpg.html)

C4IGrant
05-09-13, 11:54
7.62WB, that is PURE AWESOME!

C4

munch520
05-09-13, 12:18
Grant, would two seperate vehicles be out of the question? ie, Audi Avant Allroad + older/purpose built offroad rig? I'm guessing something like the Audi wagon is too small?

From my experience, the older 1.8T (and newer 2.0T) are great/fun motors easily capable of 6 figure mileage and 25-30mpg. Both my Dad and I have tracked 1.8T and 2.7T motors well into the 120,000 and 160,000 (respectively) territory with few issues from stock components. And this was with running higher boost, water meth, and even a GT3076 turbo on stock tranny, internals, etc. Obviously those components were rebuilt and upgraded later ;)

My only gripe was that Audi used a plastic impeller on the water pump (stupid) and its a pain to replace with an upgraded unit. And their AWD systems (Haldex) don't like to be messed with.

I'd like to have that setup someday. A fun wagon and an older rig ready for the trails.

C4IGrant
05-09-13, 12:31
Grant, would two seperate vehicles be out of the question? ie, Audi Avant Allroad + older/purpose built offroad rig? I'm guessing something like the Audi wagon is too small?

From my experience, the older 1.8T (and newer 2.0T) are great/fun motors easily capable of 6 figure mileage and 25-30mpg. Both my Dad and I have tracked 1.8T and 2.7T motors well into the 120,000 and 160,000 (respectively) territory with few issues from stock components. And this was with running higher boost, water meth, and even a GT3076 turbo on stock tranny, internals, etc. Obviously those components were rebuilt and upgraded later ;)

My only gripe was that Audi used a plastic impeller on the water pump (stupid) and its a pain to replace with an upgraded unit. And their AWD systems (Haldex) don't like to be messed with.

I'd like to have that setup someday. A fun wagon and an older rig ready for the trails.

Good question. Right now I have the following vehicles;

Toyota Tundra Crew Cab (4WD)
BMW 3 Series Wagon (AWD)
BMW 3 Series Convert. (2WD)

So I have the other "block" filled and am looking for a family hauler that has a lot of capabilities and honestly, I just like SUV's.

C4

Ryno12
05-09-13, 12:31
I've been trying to convince my wife to get an LC. Years ago, I rolled my Toyota SR5 on the way to work (don't ask). After having it flipped back on its wheels & reconnecting the battery, I was back on my merry way. I've been sold on Toyota trucks ever since.

Sent via Tapatalk

C4IGrant
05-09-13, 12:36
I've been trying to convince my wife to get an LC. Years ago, I rolled my Toyota SR5 on the way to work (don't ask). After having it flipped back on its wheels & reconnecting the battery, I was back on my merry way. I've been sold on Toyota trucks ever since.

Sent via Tapatalk

LOL, are you sure you don't have any pics of it rolled?? :D

C4

Noodles
05-09-13, 12:38

WOW. Ok. FWIW, Daimler who makes the gelandewagen is pretty much the reason Chrysler was in financial trouble at all, scratch that, pretty much might imply other significant factors. But ok, moving along. I have a DD and parts gun as my carbine.

OMGGZERS! You mean they is going to make Jeeps in teh Chinaz! Just like the have for the past 15 years!?!?!! Beijing Jeep has been making the Cherokee years after it was stopped here. They did a cool front end update that was a little fancier than the one made here. Jeep specifically can not compete in the world market because of the mileage and taxes. What is a 30k Jeep here, is a 80-100k vehicle around the world. Believe it or not, a Jeep Wrangler is a luxury vehicle in China and pretty much Europe too. They ride in the back and have a driver take them around. I saw ONE in central America a couple weeks and the owner was VERY wealthy, as an aside, but I knew that before I even saw him get out of the vehicle.

Oh no they might make Jeeps in China for the world market because currently they don't sell any out of the country anyhow! CRAZY! Ps, the wsj didn't really get it all correct. There are lot of politics involved.

The reality is, if you think you can buy one car anywhere without supporting any other company you are clueless about the industry. Your Delphi, Magna, Tata, QEK, Valley, and every other Detroit supplied etc have just as many jobs and economic impact as the big three combined, and they whore out for all the companies. There are contract American companies that assemble, make parts for, and engineer the majority of "foreign" vehicles. While every Ford interior part is currently assembled in Mexico, central America, or !GASP! CHINA!!!

The idea that one could avoid bailout money while buying a car that is sold in the states in an absolute fallacy. Get a lotus if you want to avoid bailout money. Oh, but they sell to Tesla who took a shit ton of "green" loans, so that should count too.

The idea that Jeep's 3.6L/A580 engine/trans and high/low pinion front/rear Dana44 are somehow inferior to anything out there or that has ever been made for that size vehicle is just a complete failure to really understand what's what. But yea, maybe I shoot a bushmaster ;)

Ryno12
05-09-13, 13:04
LOL, are you sure you don't have any pics of it rolled?? :D

C4

Yeah, I know it sounds like internet BS but it's the truth. It was the days before cell cameras so no, I don't have pics but there were witnesses. I may have pics of the bodywork getting repaired. You're really gonna throw the BS flag when I tell you that the roof buckled in about 3" & it didn't even pop the sunroof glass. FWIW, it was winter & there was a shitload of snow on the ground. That's pretty much what "saved" everything. The cause was basically a combination of excessive speed, deep ruts & 34" BFG's. ;)

Sent via Tapatalk

Noodles
05-09-13, 13:10
Yeah, I know it sounds like internet BS but it's the truth. It was the days before cell cameras so no, I don't have pics but there were witnesses. I may have pics of the bodywork getting repaired. You're really gonna throw the BS flag when I tell you that the roof buckled in about 3" & it didn't even pop the sunroof glass. FWIW, it was winter & there was a shitload of snow on the ground. That's pretty much what "saved" everything. The cause was basically a combination of excessive speed, deep ruts & 34" BFG's. ;)

Sent via Tapatalk

Sounds about the right combination to put it on it's side. You aren't the first.

(Completely unrelated aside, didn't Noveske drive an 80's LC?)

Army Chief
05-09-13, 13:55
Grant, would two seperate vehicles be out of the question? ie, Audi Avant Allroad + older/purpose built offroad rig? I'm guessing something like the Audi wagon is too small?.

We had an Audi Avant Quattro 4.2l (A6) in Germany that was an absolute beast. (The Germans don't call them "station wagons" -- a BMW wagon is a Touring model, and an Audi wagon is an Avant.).

Great capacity, superb built quality and absolutely ferocious power. Audi remains something of a best-kept secret in the USA, but I'd buy another in a New York Minute.

AC

JoshNC
05-09-13, 15:04
Landcruiser is a great truck. My mom has a 2002 Landcruiser with close to 200,000 miles on it. She likes it so much, she just had it repainted last year. No mechanical issue or failures, just routine service, tires and oil changes.

Based on her experience, a Lancruiser is likely the next truck I am going to purchase.

Honu
05-09-13, 15:58

hahahahah thats funny :)
yeah toyota are known to break and jeep are known to be reliable ?
hahahahahahahah :)

that is why all over the world you see old jeeps running around and not LC and LR
when I lived in Central America never say one old jeep that says something
even here in the US who is above who on reliability and how far down is jeep !

I like jeeps fun rigs but not world class reliability !!!!
they are unique in looks and you can take the top off
not very comfortable compared to Toyota to drive to and from your spot either :)

Honu
05-09-13, 16:01
Grant head over to www.ih8mud.com

its kinda like this forum to guns as it is to the LC world

it will have all the info on all the LC models and everything to know about them ! truly the best resource for ya :)

another great forum more based around camping and expedition stuff is
www.expeditionportal.com

Noodles
05-09-13, 17:05
hahahahah thats funny :)
yeah toyota are known to break and jeep are known to be reliable ?
hahahahahahahah :)

that is why all over the world you see old jeeps running around and not LC and LR when I lived in Central America never say one old jeep that says something even here in the US who is above who on reliability and how far down is jeep !

hahahahah that's funny that you think the prevalence of an object is tied it's reliability when it's reality it's economic factors in this case. Petrol vehicles made in the US are taxed especially high compared to vehicles made in the rest of the world. So, not only do you pay for the vehicle's export price (higher than US), you pay taxes on it being pertol vs diesel, you pay an amount (that's basically a fine) for worse MPG performing vehicles, and you pay a luxury tax. LITERALLY, in china, a Jeep Wrangler comes out to $80-90,000 or so right off the lot. Europe that car runs about $60-80k depending. Latin America is more or less the same with a bit of a discount say about $60-70k.

The reason you don't see Jeep in other countries is it doesn't make sense when you can buy say, a diesel Land Rover 130
http://gomotors.net/photos/32/90/land-rover-defender-130-pick-up_b4635.jpg
for the likely less cost.

But hey, obviously you wouldn't jump to conclusions based on no information. So, please tell me about your dealings in importing and exporting vehicles.

7.62WildBill
05-09-13, 17:21
hahahahah that's funny that you think the prevalence of an object is tied it's reliability when it's reality it's economic factors in this case. Petrol vehicles made in the US are taxed especially high compared to vehicles made in the rest of the world. So, not only do you pay for the vehicle's export price (higher than US), you pay taxes on it being pertol vs diesel, you pay an amount (that's basically a fine) for worse MPG performing vehicles, and you pay a luxury tax. LITERALLY, in china, a Jeep Wrangler comes out to $80-90,000 or so right off the lot. Europe that car runs about $60-80k depending. Latin America is more or less the same with a bit of a discount say about $60-70k.

The reason you don't see Jeep in other countries is it doesn't make sense when you can buy say, a diesel Land Rover 130

But hey, obviously you wouldn't jump to conclusions based on no information. So, please tell me about your dealings in importing and exporting vehicles.

Where did Land Rover get the idea for that truck? Oh, I remember.
http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s488/wildwoodbill000/2D28EC76-48DB-4EAE-9A2C-91234A1ACFA5-452-00000012AC3AF2B2_zps1de62d9f.jpg (http://s1054.photobucket.com/user/wildwoodbill000/media/2D28EC76-48DB-4EAE-9A2C-91234A1ACFA5-452-00000012AC3AF2B2_zps1de62d9f.jpg.html)

Col_Crocs
05-09-13, 19:36
I may have missed it but i dont think a specific LC model was ever mentioned. Grant, you looking to get the latest 200? Great car IMHO. solid, great ride, handles great, especially considering its size.-- responsive acceleration and steering. If you can somehow get a hold of the twin turbo diesel v8 variant, even better.

Honu
05-09-13, 21:38
you are one of those jeep rule Toyota suck people ? ok whatever used to your types ?
again both have pros cons but Jeep is not noted to be reliable at all ! even honest jeep owners know this !

if you really think Jeep are more reliable than Toyota you are in HUGE denial !

also Grant was not asking about Jeeps ? :)

Honu
05-09-13, 21:43
And if a 4-dr JK doesn't suit your size needs, nothing in the states will.

are you going to expo ?

the LR IMHO are not worth what they are and have issues

but your above statement if the Jeep does not work nothing will is kinda bias and tips your JEEP only mentality

again I like Jeeps for what they are but they are not the ONLY rig and for many reliability is a factor so is on road comfort and Jeeps are lower on that list !

if I want a off road only rig I will build a crawler or get something fun like a C-304 6x6 or something

C4IGrant
05-10-13, 07:43
I may have missed it but i dont think a specific LC model was ever mentioned. Grant, you looking to get the latest 200? Great car IMHO. solid, great ride, handles great, especially considering its size.-- responsive acceleration and steering. If you can somehow get a hold of the twin turbo diesel v8 variant, even better.

Ya, I am looking a slightly used 2011. Found one that I like a lot.

C4

sjc3081
05-10-13, 08:24
If the extra expense is not a issue the Land Cruiser is a great SUV. For value the Seqouia is the best bet.

TMS951
05-10-13, 08:28

C4

If you found one you like go for it. I can not think of a reason to not get a landcruiser. Yes, I like the G-wagen, but I recognize the Landcrusier for how good it is.

If the extra expense is not a issue the Land Cruiser is a great SUV. For value the Seqouia is the best bet.

The Seqouia and Landcruiser are really built to different standards for different markets. They are similar, but I would take the Landcruiser all day long.

The Seqouia is purpose built in the US for the US customer, more of a soccer mom SUV like an Explorer. The land cruiser is built in Japan for the world market and is built to be the best and most rugged SUV. Only the G-wagen and Defender are comparable.

FromMyColdDeadHand
05-10-13, 08:36

C4

Funny, all this talk had me back at the Toyota site. (Why are they screwing with the front end of the 4Runner?). I too wondered how much a used Land Cruiser would be.... Not one within 150 miles of Denver in the system. That might be saying something.

IIRC when I looked a few years ago the used LC were at that much of a discount to new one- ie they hold their value really well. One of the few cars that it makes sense buying new and running forever...

C4IGrant
05-10-13, 08:43
Thanks to everyone for their input (especially all the owners that sent me PM's)! Every single person loved their LC (old models and current). This is commonly known as a clue right?

I just got off the phone with the dealer and bought a 2011 Black LC with 15,000 miles and simply looks stunning!

http://www.poquetauto.com/carphotos/JTMHY7AJ9B5012102_2.jpg

C4

brickboy240
05-10-13, 10:11
I have never owned one but have run two Tundras for a very long time and still own and run the 2006 4WD Double Cab.

They are the Glocks of the pickup world. My current 06 Tundra has 210k on the clock and has never seen the shop. The Tundra before that one was a 2WD SR5 2001 model and it too went well over 200k miles with no troubles at all. I plan on driving the 06 4WD until it blows up...that seems to be a very long time away.

That said, I know several people that have owned Land Cruisers, Sequoias and 4Runners and every one of them loved their vehicles and had tons of miles on them.

Its a Toyota....buy with confidence. I can honestly say I will never own another Chevy pickup ever again.

-brickboy240

C4IGrant
05-10-13, 10:15
I have never owned one but have run two Tundras for a very long time and still own and run the 2006 4WD Double Cab.

They are the Glocks of the pickup world. My current 06 Tundra has 210k on the clock and has never seen the shop. The Tundra before that one was a 2WD SR5 2001 model and it too went well over 200k miles with no troubles at all. I plan on driving the 06 4WD until it blows up...that seems to be a very long time away.

That said, I know several people that have owned Land Cruisers, Sequoias and 4Runners and every one of them loved their vehicles and had tons of miles on them.

Its a Toyota....buy with confidence. I can honestly say I will never own another Chevy pickup ever again.

-brickboy240

Ya, I have a friend with a Chevy pickup (only couple years old). All kinds of problems. He was hot on them at first, but said "never again."

C4

brickboy240
05-10-13, 10:22
The Silverados I have owned were ok...but not nearly as trouble free and well put together as the Tundras. The build quality is tons better. It is like comparing an HK or Glock semi-auto to a Ruger or Kel Tec....the overall fit, finish and build quality is very noticeable.

My current truck is a 4WD Limited Double Cab 2006 model. I have a little over 210k on it and other than brakes, tires and regular maintenance items....no trips to the shop at all. Hell, I just replaced one of the headlights last week....an original! LOL

My family owns rural ranch property and our trucks get worked. We haul hay, feed, fencing supplies, ATVs and riding mowers around quite often. The trucks are not babied at all....and the Toyotas have held up best.

My mother (who is retired and sold her business) used to run a catering company. She always drove 4Runners and used them for the business and ran them all well over 250k miles. One 4Runner went over 300k on the original engine and tranny! She beat the daylights out of several 4Runners and never had major problems...ever.

So yeah, if you like Glocks and HKs and other ultra reliable firearms...you will love Toyota's trucks/SUVs for the same reasons.

I have no idea what Toyota's customer service is like....because I have never been back to the damn dealership! LOL Good problem to have.

Buy one and you will kick yourself for putting up with the other crap for so long.

-brickboy240

Trajan
05-10-13, 11:55
I'm not an auto person, but that is quite the attractive SUV you have there Grant. Can't say anything bad about Toyotas.

kcara
05-10-13, 13:56
Ya, I have a friend with a Chevy pickup (only couple years old). All kinds of problems. He was hot on them at first, but said "never again."

C4 Congrats on the purchase. Another one of my passions is auto detailing. If you want your paint to be well protected, consider hiring a local, qualified detailer to put OptiCoat/OptiGuard onto your vehicle. http://www.opti-coat.com/

I put it on my car and have been happy. No more waxing, an extra 2 microns of permanant protection. You will love the durability of this product. Think of it as the Colt/Daniel defense of the automotive paint protections products.

C4IGrant
09-03-13, 11:47
Well after having the LC for several months now and driven it on 10hr drives, all I can say is AWESOME! Even my wife (who is not a car person), commented that she loves it. Keep in mind that her daily driver is a 2012 BMW M packaged 328iX wagon. ;)

What is interesting is that adult males will approach us to make a comment about it. Don't know why this is, but people that recognize them are eager to ask questions or just say "awesome ride."

Having Driven, ridden in or owned most all other SUV's, I can honestly say that I DOUBT that I would own anything other than another one of these.

Attached is a pic of my Boys Varmint Hunting. Drove the LC up a large hill and parked for the day. Good times!

C4

brickboy240
09-03-13, 12:55
As I tell everyone I know once they leave the stubborn ingrained world of "I must have a Ford/Chevy/Dodge truck or nothing else."

Welcome to Toyota....you will not be going back.

Up to 222k on the 06 Tundra and still...no trip to the shop or engine work at all.

Glock-like reliability....enjoy the LC.

-brickboy240

Iraqgunz
09-03-13, 14:51
I have 2006 Toyota SR5 4Runner with a V8 that I purchased in 2007 used. It had 23K on it and now has 130K on it. It is by far one of the best SUVs I have owned or driven. Basic maintenance and tires are all I have done.

HackerF15E
09-03-13, 15:18
I have 2006 Toyota SR5 4Runner with a V8 that I purchased in 2007 used. It had 23K on it and now has 130K on it. It is by far one of the best SUVs I have owned or driven. Basic maintenance and tires are all I have done.

I have a 3rd Gen 1999 4Runner that I bought after several trips to the sand container and seeing how well the HiLux and HiLux Surf do in that environment. When Hadji can thrash one for years, and fix it with a coathanger, that's an indicator that the design is a winner.

Got it with 150K, now has over 220K, and still running perfectly with only normal user maintenance. By far the best and most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. I'm hoping to get it over 400K....and when the engine blows or needs heavy mainteance that I can't do, I'm strongly considering just buying another engine for a swap, since everything else will probably still be perfectly functional (and the 5VZ-FE engine was used in so many Toyota platforms that it should be easy to find a replacement).

brickboy240
09-03-13, 16:52
That is my plan....drive my 06 Tundra until the engine gives then replace the motor and keep on running.

Have 220k miles now...it ought to go to 350-400 before giving up.

A replacement 4.7 V-8 ought to run me maybe 4 grand....that is cheaper than 46 grand for a new 4WD Double Cab Tundra!

I have a few friends with well over 300k on Tacomas...the Tundra ought to go that far and them some.

-brickboy240