PDA

View Full Version : Geissele/ALG ACT stupid question

NeoNeanderthal
05-09-13, 10:22
So this may be a stupid question, but here goes. I recently installed a ALG ACT into my bcm 16" middy. Really like it, same type of trigger as before, just better. Perfect, ok great.

So my situation: I'm doing some dry fire drills this morning and discover that when my bolt is locked to the rear, the gun doesn't want to go on safe. I can force it to, but there is something going on there that doesn't feel right. The gun still goes on safe normally after the bolt goes forward, and will not go on safe after the hammer falls (as normal). However as i stated, it doesn't want to go onto safe with the bolt locked to the rear.

Question: Im a certified AR armorer but cant figure out what is catching or dragging or out of the norm. Is it ok to force it onto safe? (I tend to do my switch shoulder drills dry fire this way, so i can practice utilizing the safety). and lastly Is this the norm for ACT triggers? Or is something out of spec, or did I **** something up with the install?) I've put half a dozen triggers in so I dont think thats is.

Delemus
05-09-13, 10:30
Certified AR armor but only installed 6 triggers?

This isn't normal for the ACT. At least not in the 4 I have installed. I would remove it and inspect it and try again. Do you have another trigger set you can try?

NeoNeanderthal
05-09-13, 10:32
I'm certified but I don't do it for a living. (IE I just work on my own guns).

When I put other triggers in the same lower (with the same safety) they were all good to go.

ZoneOne
05-09-13, 12:46
I had the exact same situation occur with my ACT.

You can replicate the situation by removing the lower and simply pushing down on the hammer and attempting to rotate the safety switch.

Basically it's the NiB treatment making it just slightly thicker than a normal trigger (what I was told by both ALG and BAD)

What safety selector switch are you running?

In my case I was using a BAD-ASS. I contacted both Battle Arms and ALG. Battle arms sent me a different core to replace. It's .02 or .03 of a difference in size if I recall correctly (smaller). This fixed the problem. They stated that they created a smaller core specifically for end users with NiB coated triggers.

Amy at ALG sent me new pins. Since I received the new BAD-ASS core first, I never installed the pins because the problem was fixed.

May want to contact ALG and see if they can send you a new set of pins.

saddlerocker
05-09-13, 13:20
Yep, its the pins.

When did you buy the trigger? They were supposed to fix the pins last fall.
My act is tough to get on safe with the bolt locked back too. Alg will send you new pins if you ask. I never got around to it.

krichbaum
05-09-13, 13:24
I had the same problem with mine. I tried their FCG in multiple lowers and the problem followed the FCG. When I contacted them, they blamed it on my lowers, claiming they were out of spec. I've read and heard that the problem is the pins, but I can't say if that fixes the problem as I had to return the FCG to the vendor for a credit and didn't know about the claimed fix with different pins at the time. If you have some other pins to try, do that. Good luck...I don't think you did anything wrong here.

markm
05-09-13, 13:49
This isn't normal for the ACT.

****in - A, Yes it is. :rolleyes:

My shit does the same thing. Several others have reported this same issue.

(and No it is not the pins. I installed my old pins and still have a slight symptom. It's on a beater gun, so NO... I don't give enough of a shit to waste time contacting anyone on the matter... it's just a mild irritant.)

NeoNeanderthal
05-09-13, 14:13
Thats why i love M4carbine.net. Thanks for the info guys, ill shoot them an email.

markm
05-09-13, 14:14
Thats why i love M4carbine.net. Thanks for the info guys, ill shoot them an email.

Tell em to throw in a coupld of SSAs and a dozen free Mk4 rails for the trouble.

samuse
05-09-13, 20:33
I read a pretty lengthy thread about the exact same issue awhile back, but I don't remember if it was here or TOS.

From what I gathered, the coating combined with the slightly oversize pins, coupled with the right lower could lead to the situation. You could try stock pins or a different lower.

BluTurf
05-09-13, 20:49
Interesting you should post this Neoneanderthal.

A couple of days ago I installed the ALG ACT in my new DD lower. Took it to sight it in today and noticed the same thing as the OP.

When the bolt is locked back I can get it into safe, but it definitely isn't smooth. Kind of annoying.

weez440
05-10-13, 09:57
i installed 2 alg triggers on stag arms lowers recently and 1 did that and the other didn't, just keeping everything lubed good as this helps.

ZoneOne
05-10-13, 15:40
One would assume that simply shooting it and using it would cause the parts to wear down -both on the selector core and the trigger and it would eventually stop being an issue.

But I agree, it's annoying. It's engrained in my head to put the weapon on safe when doing anything aside from shooting it, so to have a difficult time when the bolt is locked back, is VERY annoying.

philpac33
05-10-13, 19:15
I can still move my selector with the bolt locked back, albeit with some resistance using my ALG ACT. I slowly moved my bolt rearward while I moved my selector back and forth from fire to safe. About halfway back I can begin to feel the slightest resistance and it gets a little tighter the rest of the way back to locked open. At the locked position I can still move the selector but it takes a bit more effort. It's definitely not a flick. Annoying yes, but I can work with it.