PDA

View Full Version : HK MR762

PNorris
05-09-13, 11:59
There is not alot of info on the internet about this rifle. Does anyone here have one that can shed some light. I know that is heavy, however, what have you experienced accuracy wise, dependability, etc . . . . I know HK makes fine weapons and I am particularly interested in this rifle. Yes, the price is about $3600, however, when you compare it to other top tier 308 Semi-autos it is not really terribly expensive. Thanks.

Benito
05-09-13, 14:57
Proprietary mags + (Even more) proprietary assorted small parts + extra weight on an already heavy platform + God-only-knows how long potential service turnaround time would be + some very damn solid US-made options out there (not just DPMS any more) = No thanks for me.

Yes, I know .308 AR's are generally proprietary anyways, but there is a growing degree of commonality lately in that market - specifically with regards to mags (7.62 PMags have become the de facto standard), bolts, bolt carriers, forends, and even barrels.

The HK name and piston operating system are not worth the other downsides, in my lowly opinion.

Jippo
05-09-13, 15:30
I have the european version with 20" barrel. I am very fond of it, to be honest. It is heavy and kind of unwieldy, but I have even hunted with it carrying the rifle on a single point sling, so I guess it is workable enough.

Quality is superb all around, no complaints in that department. Accuracy with mine is solid one MOA with occasional ½MOA groups at 300 meters. I shoot with an ACOG (3.5x donut) so I guess it could do better still. Reliability has been 100% with 1500 or so rounds through the gun.

I do like the mags a lot infact. They are big but on the otherhand pretty sturdy and translucent. They do fit in e.g. Tacos. I guess the front handguard could be longer, but it'd add weight and I am not quite sure I want that.

Cleaning the gun is the best part, as it doesn't get dirty at all inside the receiver.

PNorris
05-09-13, 15:35
Thanks for the comments Jippo. If anyone else has one that would be great.

Jippo
05-09-13, 15:37
Here is a bit I wrote about it when I first got it: link (https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=98306)

Hunter Rose
05-09-13, 15:42
Weight in the MR762, like the LMT MWS, is due to the very heavy profile of the barrel. It would be feasible to lighten up the MR762 noticeably with a barrel re-profile. Mags are proprietary and expensive, it is an HK after all. Small parts are proprietary as well but HK small parts generally have very long service life. HK's customer service on the civilian side actually very good and responsive now. HK's service issues are a thing of the past. Most of the negative reviews are by people parroting what they heard on the internet and not based off actual interactions with HK customer service.

The MR762 gets very high marks for accuracy. First hand reviews and accuracy tests can be found in the HK416/417 forum at HKPro.com Sub-MOA accuracy is common. The MR308 (European MR762) was used as the basis for designing the G-28 sniper rifle due to the MR308's excellent accuracy.

As soon as I can find some funds for a scope I'll post some accuracy results of mine.

PNorris
05-09-13, 15:43
I had actually read your review. Yours was one of the very few I could find.

Hunter Rose
05-09-13, 15:50
I guess the front handguard could be longer, but it'd add weight and I am not quite sure I want that.

The extended handguard only adds a couple ounces, but since your support hand can grasp farther out it handles the weight much better in my experience. Also has the very high CDI factor of the integrated flip-up front sight. :D

http://imageshack.us/a/img203/5785/mr7623.jpg

Falsecrack
05-10-13, 03:06
The extended handguard only adds a couple ounces, but since your support hand can grasp farther out it handles much better in my experience. Also has the very high CDI factor of the integrated flip-up front sight. :D

http://imageshack.us/a/img203/5785/mr7623.jpg

Now that's a sexy beast.

Jippo
05-10-13, 10:53
Now that's a sexy beast.

Isn't that the truth. Now the only questions that remain are how, where and how much?

Benito
05-10-13, 12:21
Now that's a sexy beast.

Beast, being the key word here.

Looks cool, most definitely. But I'm not built like an elite powerlifter, and for me that thing looks like a back-breaker. Also, the entire front handguard looks like a friggin brick. Unless you have gigantism, good luck getting a decent grip on that fore end. Would be great for shooting off a bench though.

Tzintzuntzan
05-10-13, 12:42
Looks alright to me. Probably a little lighter than a TRG 22.

Hunter Rose
05-10-13, 13:27
Beast, being the key word here.

Looks cool, most definitely. But I'm not built like an elite powerlifter, and for me that thing looks like a back-breaker. Also, the entire front handguard looks like a friggin brick. Unless you have gigantism, good luck getting a decent grip on that fore end. Would be great for shooting off a bench though.

If you can lift the LMT MWS you can lift this. They weigh pretty much the same.

As for the rail, looks can be deceiving, it doesn't really add anything wieght wise, maybe an ounce or two. It's like the misperception people have that the LMT MRP rifle length weighs significantly more than the MRP CQB, when the weight difference is only1-2 ounces for 4.5 extra inches of rail space. As for grasping it, the vertical profile is the same as the HK416 rail but the it is slimmer horizontally, and feels good in the hands.

That being said, I am 6'5" 220lbs and a prime example of masculinity, so having the lightest rifle possible never really concerned me that much. :cool:

Tzintzuntzan
05-10-13, 13:49
That handguard sounds better by the second. I once held an LWRCi 20" REPR and that thing was pretty well balanced, I didn't notice it being either front or back heavy. The rifle's handguard was slim and slick and gold, in my book. For the money however I think I'd just look for the MR, since it seems to get better accuracy.

PNorris
05-10-13, 13:50
I am smitten. Now, how do I sneak one of these into the house. Less weight is nice, however, I don't have any immediate plans to be in battle anytime soon. As such, I am not overly concerned about the weight.

Robb Jensen
05-10-13, 13:52
Proprietary mags + (Even more) proprietary assorted small parts + extra weight on an already heavy platform + God-only-knows how long potential service turnaround time would be + some very damn solid US-made options out there (not just DPMS any more) = No thanks for me.

Yes, I know .308 AR's are generally proprietary anyways, but there is a growing degree of commonality lately in that market - specifically with regards to mags (7.62 PMags have become the de facto standard), bolts, bolt carriers, forends, and even barrels.

The HK name and piston operating system are not worth the other downsides, in my lowly opinion.

The HK MR762 is actually a lot lighter than other .308 ARs of the same size. Lighter weight than even than the LMT MWS. OTOH, The HK MR556 is heavy for a 5.56 AR.

Benito
05-10-13, 22:53
I guess I stand corrected. It definitely looks beefy as hell. Although I stand by my disparaging handguard comment, darn it!!

cz7
05-11-13, 01:20
Weight in the MR762, like the LMT MWS, is due to the very heavy profile of the barrel. It would be feasible to lighten up the MR762 noticeably with a barrel re-profile. Mags are proprietary and expensive, it is an HK after all. Small parts are proprietary as well but HK small parts generally have very long service life. HK's customer service on the civilian side actually very good and responsive now. HK's service issues are a thing of the past. Most of the negative reviews are by people parroting what they heard on the internet and not based off actual interactions with HK customer service.

The MR762 gets very high marks for accuracy. First hand reviews and accuracy tests can be found in the HK416/417 forum at HKPro.com Sub-MOA accuracy is common. The MR308 (European MR762) was used as the basis for designing the G-28 sniper rifle due to the MR308's excellent accuracy.

As soon as I can find some funds for a scope I'll post some accuracy results of mine.
a new mag design ? like scar heavy ''we can charge you with camel pussy costs '' this is all too dumb move, a better mouse trap ...i had hk 93 many years ago and had NEVER a problem with HK ! ,-- this was mostly by used car dealer mind set of some gun '' dealers'' and dumb rasses who talked crappy to the HK customer service ... now the weight can be done better like spiral fluting and for better cooling of too

PatrioticDisorder
05-17-13, 18:47
a new mag design ? like scar heavy ''we can charge you with camel pussy costs '' this is all too dumb move, a better mouse trap ...i had hk 93 many years ago and had NEVER a problem with HK ! ,-- this was mostly by used car dealer mind set of some gun '' dealers'' and dumb rasses who talked crappy to the HK customer service ... now the weight can be done better like spiral fluting and for better cooling of too

I'm a new SCAR 17s owner and I already have 25 magazines, didn't pay anymore than $41 per mag + shipping, a few as low as $32. They're now widely available as they're producing 8k magazines a month. Last I checked MR762 mags were $80 and up when you're lucky enough to find them... I'm sure MR762 owners get a hell of a delt workout when they go shooting though, I wouldn't know since my SCAR feels like a feather in comparison... Besides I hit my delts in the gym. ;)

RHINOWSO
05-18-13, 18:42
I have a SCAR 17 but looked at the MR762 briefly.

Dislikes on paper are the mags and no adjustsble gas block, besides price and weight (compared to a 17).

As I was buying with the intent to SBR to 13" and suppress, the MR 762 really didn't fit the bill for my intended use, but if money wasn't an issue I'd probably get one.

Falsecrack
05-18-13, 19:32
I have a SCAR 17 but looked at the MR762 briefly.

Dislikes on paper are the mags and no adjustsble gas block, besides price and weight (compared to a 17).

As I was buying with the intent to SBR to 13" and suppress, the MR 762 really didn't fit the bill for my intended use, but if money wasn't an issue I'd probably get one.

This mirrors my experience pretty closely. Before I bought my 17s, I was closely looking at the HK. I went with the Scar and am happy I did, as its an awesome platform, but I'm sure if I'd gone with the MR 7.62, I'd feel the same way.

Hunter Rose
05-21-13, 12:38
I think the choice between the MR762 and the FN SCAR 17S2 boils down to how you want to use it. If you plan to shoot mostly at long range prone off a bipod or benched the weight of the MR762 is not that big a deal and its greater accuracy is a plus. On the other hand, if you envision running it more as a battle rifle closer in that is still capable at longer range, the weight of the SCAR becomes a big plus and a more important factor, although the MR762 can perform here as well, its not that heavy. If price is an issue the FN is definitely less expensive.

PNorris
05-24-13, 07:23
Where is a good place to get a good price on the HK