PDA

View Full Version : Do you have good situational awareness?

DragonDoc
05-09-13, 17:46
It appears that these officers may have gotten tunnel vision when they saw they had a suspect out of the house and in the open. I'm no LEO but wouldn't you have an officer in an overwatch position? I'm not passing judgement or finding fault in this action. I'm just curious.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/05/09/stunning-just-released-footage-of-wild-shootout-that-left-gunman-dead-and-a-police-officer-wounded-warning-graphic/

Todd00000
05-09-13, 18:07
Well for whatever reason they didn't see the one get in the car.

SteyrAUG
05-09-13, 20:39
Mine is better than most who seem to have none.

MountainRaven
05-09-13, 22:07
Do I have good situational awareness?

I hadn't noticed.

DragonDoc
05-09-13, 23:41
Do I have good situational awareness?

I hadn't noticed.

Yeah, you never notice until that oh shit moment. These officers definitely had one of those.

theblackknight
05-10-13, 00:00
Hold on I have a text

Oh dang, did they have guardian angel somewhere or did one of the dudes make that head shot from across the street? Props

rathos
05-10-13, 03:43
the third guy should have been checking the cars and watching his partners backs. They are lucky that guy didn't jump out of the car with an assault rifle.

Hootiewho
05-10-13, 05:23
While I don't want to MMQB, it bothered me more the officer nearest the street hesitated so long to draw and go to work when he had a gun pointed right at him. It looks like he is trying to give drop the gun commands to a man who has a gun pointed right at him before committing to the shoot.

This comes to mind...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZXlhSgq7us&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Shao
05-10-13, 07:41
It depends on how many beers I've had really... Sober, I'm like a tightly-wound ninja kangaroo rat. I analyze everything as a potential threat. Put a few pints of Guinness in me and I tend to overlook more than a few details... one of the reasons I like to only drink once or twice a week at home now.

DragonDoc
05-10-13, 13:25
the third guy should have been checking the cars and watching his partners backs. They are lucky that guy didn't jump out of the car with an assault rifle.

The outcome could have been worse if the guy in the car had waited another 30 to 40 seconds. That should have been long enough for the offers to start focusing on securing their detainee. Their backs would have been to the car.

TAZ
05-10-13, 13:42
Wow. Is the video from surveillance cameras or security cameras placed by the suspects?? The LEO were parked across the street supposedly watching the house and missed a second person exiting the home and getting into the car. Yikes. Whatever gods they believe in they better take a few extra moments to say thanks cause they are lucky they aren't dead.

I don't walk past cars in parking lots without looking to see inside on an average shopping trip. If I was on a bust I'd be a bit more attentive.

At least the video will become a good training aid on how to not walk past an occupied car during a high risk arrest.

Moose-Knuckle
05-10-13, 16:57
Wow. Is the video from surveillance cameras or security cameras placed by the suspects??

A lot of dope houses will have survellance cameras so they can see who is coming up to their door, i.e. a known contact/buyer or a raid.

Atlshaun
05-10-13, 17:17
Mine is better than most who seem to have none.

This.

I am also increasing my wife's. Slowwwwwwww process.

PdxMotoxer
05-12-13, 02:51
I'd like to think mine is above average after almost 25 years of riding
street bikes ad looking at every car as they are trying to hit you
and every kid as they are going to run out in front of you or the car
coming at you cause driver to veer from kid and head on into you.

BUT truth is im often told "i seen you and even waved you looked right at me..
didnt wave and i know u didnt see me cause you didnt flip me off!"
:happy:

Thus is true i must not have seen someone even waving
and even trying to get my attention.
So it might be im ok if i know what im looking for.
AS i get older (mid-40's) i do notice MY loss of situational awareness
with so many other things on my mind these days.

ICANHITHIMMAN
05-12-13, 10:04
Mine is too good to the point is sometimes occupies my life, I notice everything. I guess its just a product of years of looking for whats wrong our out of place. I like to watch people its something I have done for ever, well before my service days. I cant fault them as a group, but I can fault the individual officer for rushing up with out everyone else and focusing the situation.

J-Dub
05-12-13, 14:46
I try to, so my ass doesn't get shot. You can train, and train some more, but ultimately every situation is different and shit can hit the fan.

Just a couple of weeks ago I rolled up to a brawl where there was probably 7-10 people throwing down outside of a bar. In a situation like that you've got so many things going on, it is almost impossible not to fixate on one particular task/person. Honestly if someone would've pulled a pistol it probably would've been pure luck to see it before I heard it.

But yes, if Im the 2nd, 3rd, or even the 4th on scene, my soul responsibility is to help, and keep my head on a swivel.

Someone should've had their eyes on the car and make sure it was clear, especially before ANYONE turned their back to it.......But that's easy to say from my armchair....

DragonDoc
05-14-13, 10:54
Just a couple of weeks ago I rolled up to a brawl where there was probably 7-10 people throwing down outside of a bar. In a situation like that you've got so many things going on, it is almost impossible not to fixate on one particular task/person. Honestly if someone would've pulled a pistol it probably would've been pure luck to see it before I heard it.

This is one of the reasons why I'm not in L.E. Who wants to wade into a sea of hostile humanity and try to keep the peace? You are restricted with the amount of force you can use and that puts you at a disadvantage. Much respect for LEOs.