PDA

View Full Version : Front sight question

sapper36
05-10-13, 07:11
I have been doing a lot of reading and experimenting with different pistol sight configurations. What I have found is that, for me I am liking having the rear sight completely black with a bright front sight. I have three dot night sights, two dot sights and all plain sights. What I have done is paint the front sight white and then a flourescent orange color, which is easy to pick up with both yes open.

My question is are there sights (front) out there that are big bright and have nightsight option? Not talking about the VTAC sights on the M&P, I mean something that has an insert and is surrounded by more prominant day time sight? Thanks

wlptpd3
05-10-13, 07:34
Check out the Ameriglo Hackathorn sights, front sight is bright orange with tritium insert and the rear is plain black. The front sight is .140 wide and the rear is .180, they are extremely fast to pick up and still allow precision shooting if you do your part.

Ameriglo has numerous combinations of sights that may meet your needs, I prefer the Hackathorn sights myself.

JSantoro
05-10-13, 07:49
Take a look at the Trijicon HD offerings, Ameriglo Pro I-Dot and Ameriglo CAP sights. Basically, big orange or yellow-green flourescent paint surrounding a trit vial.

I had the Ameriglo Pro I-Dots on one gun up until recently; ended up going away from them because 1) the Ameriglo sets I had, had problems staying together or staying on the gun, and 2) I tried and failed to prevent myself from often aligning the top of the circle with the top of the rear.

However, I can say with absolute certainty that picking up the front sight quickly was never a problem under any lighting condition.

I'd try the Ameriglo CAP sights, but am unwilling to risk buying more fitment and durability problems I encountered with the Pro- I-Dots...I think they may very well have just had a recent bad batch or two, but......:fie:

Were I to try that sort of sight out again, it'd be the Trijicons.

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product1.php?id=HDNS

Guns-up.50
05-10-13, 08:27
Take a look at the Trijicon HD offerings, Ameriglo Pro I-Dot and Ameriglo CAP sights. Basically, big orange or yellow-green flourescent paint surrounding a trit vial.

I had the Ameriglo Pro I-Dots on one gun up until recently; ended up going away from them because 1) the Ameriglo sets I had, had problems staying together or staying on the gun, and 2) I tried and failed to prevent myself from often aligning the top of the circle with the top of the rear.

However, I can say with absolute certainty that picking up the front sight quickly was never a problem under any lighting condition.

I'd try the Ameriglo CAP sights, but am unwilling to risk buying more fitment and durability problems I encountered with the Pro- I-Dots...I think they may very well have just had a recent bad batch or two, but......:fie:

Were I to try that sort of sight out again, it'd be the Trijicons.

http://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product1.php?id=HDNS

I agree,
I am fortunate enough to have a great gun store that works with me, a Trij HD front and plian rear is a nice set up, but waiting for thoes fronts can bee tiem consuming. Something to consider plus it can get pricy

TAZ
05-10-13, 15:05
You'll have to match the HD sights to some other rear as the HD is a 3 dot config. I have an HD set on my MP9 and is good, but not as great as the hype. Of course this is for me and will be very different for you. I keep going back to Warrens. They seem to have found a god balance between speed and accuracy. The big orange ball of the HD is easy to pick up, but man I tend to suffer accuracy wise with how much of a target they cover up. I was far more accurate with the factory shuts than with the HD's.

Do you have to have Tritium or would an FO front work?

policetested
05-10-13, 17:09
depending on your firearm you might look at Truglo TFOs

Five_Point_Five_Six
05-10-13, 17:11
You'll have to match the HD sights to some other rear as the HD is a 3 dot config.

For me, in normal lighting conditions the rear tritium on the hd's for the most part are unnoticeable. Once low light factors in, the rear dots are the perfect brightness.

But as we all know, different eyeballs like different sight configurations.

sapper36
05-10-13, 20:17
Thanks everyone, I don't know why I though all ya'll could read my mind. The pistol I'm asking about is a M&P.

Next question, I like the rear M&P sights and don't see a need to replace them. Are any of the listed sights able to be used with a stock rear sight, just replacing the front? Thanks again.

DeusVult
07-14-13, 04:10
I just wish I could find Steyr-style trapezoid sights for my other pistols. Those things are stupid fast once you get used to them.