PDA

View Full Version : Pinned comp rail install clarification - first timer

uffdaphil
05-10-13, 17:56
I have two BCM 14.5 LW uppers with pinned muzzle devices. For the first, a BFH with Mod1 Gunfighter I have a Centurion mid cut-out. I only have to Dremel off the Delta ring assembly, correct?

The second, standard with Battlecomp 1.5, is where I am a bit foggy. Rail is a Fortis 14" (11oz !!) one piece. The more I look at grinding down the FSB, the less I see klutzy me getting it done cleanly.

So best way to remove the FSB? I'm thinking pop pins, slide forward, two cuts each side middle. One side all the way through and other 98%, then pry apart. Turn 90 degrees first so probably inevitable barrel marring will be on bottom.

Then Lo pro gas block - 750, correct? I definitely do not want to send barrel out if It can be helped so set screws (BCM,Vltor) or clamp on? Not clear on what is involved beyond centering and torquing down. Is there existing dimple from FSb? Just locate by pushing onto gas tube? Does gas block/tube go together differently from orignal FSB?

I am retired with bad joints and "run 'n gun" is not in the picture. More like "slink 'n plink." Range fun, back up HD and a family armory for SHTF are intended uses of my ARs.

Recommendations and course corrections appreciated.

Thanks,
Phil

Degs
05-10-13, 18:21
I'd say send it out, have it cut down, and while they're at it, install the new Fortis rail.

AKDoug
05-10-13, 18:44
With a pinned comp/flash hider, it has to be removed to put on a low-pro block.

Seriously, cutting an FSB on the rifle is child's play. You can do it the long way with a hack saw and a file, speed things up with dremel, or go full out with a grinder and a cutoff wheel. The metal is soft and it's super easy to do.

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=90247

uffdaphil
05-10-13, 18:49
A possibility, but I would not gain much experience beyond mailing firearms that way. I prefer to stumble my way through, pay for my mistakes and do better next time.

I have read extensively here for a couple of months now, but info sticks with me much better by doing.

uffdaphil
05-10-13, 18:54
Thanks Doug. Someone posted that it was super hard metal. I gotta stay away from TOS.

bullittmcqueen
05-10-13, 19:05
You would be much better off to shave down the front sight and use it as a gas block instead of trying to cut it off and replace it with a lo pro gas block. If you have the skills and tools to cut it completely off, you can shave it.

uffdaphil
05-10-13, 19:44
I am a lot more amenable to grinding away knowing it's not hardened super-steel. Most of my ARs have FSBs and always will, but the newest Centurion rail will also demand an amputation.

AKDoug
05-10-13, 21:54
A hacksaw will go right through an FSB. In my experience, if a hacksaw will cut it, it's not that hard :D

uffdaphil
05-10-13, 22:13
Might as well try it. Can always add another gas block if I mess it up. It doesn't have to look storebought after all, just somewhat smooth and symmetrical.

I will post pics when finished in the sticky. Thanks all for chiming in.

AKDoug
05-10-13, 22:31
Take your time and sand it smooth. That Fortis shows everything :D