PDA

View Full Version : FULL: Vickers Tactical Pistol I - Introductory Level Class – Sept 6-7, 2008

VA_Dinger
03-30-08, 09:24
THIS CLASS IS FULL.

Vickers Tactical Pistol I - Introductory Level Class – Sept 6-7, 2008 – South Hill, Virginia.

Vickers Tactical website: www.Vickerstactical.com

Larry Vickers is a retired career special operations soldier with 20-plus years of service to our country. A longtime 1st SFOD- Delta operational member, he was a key player in the small arms marksmanship expertise and weapons selection of that Unit. He brings a very unique set of skills to the market, and has a wide and varied background in the firearms industry.

Select Special Operations , Military, and Law Enforcement Units seek him out on a regular basis for expert combat marksmanship training. Considered one of the best combat marksmanship instructors in the U.S, he has become one of the most sought after instructors in the Worldwide Special Operations community.

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r147/VickersTactical/DesertStorm.jpg

Pistol I - Introductory / Beginner Level
For shooters who have not attended organized handgun training before or have only received minimal training. Topics covered include basic pistol topics and the following: malfunction drills, shooting on the move as well as strong hand and weak hand shooting. Introduction to timed fire drills and evaluations based on class skill level. Concealed carry methods are also covered. Night-fire will depend on time of year and range restrictions.

Primary Instructor: Larry Vickers

- Class dates: September 6-7, 2008

- Cost: $400

- Range facilities: Private range (Directions will be provided during class sign-up)

- Class size:

Weapon & Gear Class Requirements:

- Eye and Ear Protection (electronic hearing protection is preferred)
- Serviceable handgun of at least 9mm Para caliber
- Serviceable holster
- Minimum 1 double magazine pouch
- Minimum of 3 serviceable magazines (5 is better)
- 1000 rounds of ammo
- Suitable range wear depending on the season
- Hand held flashlight and spare batteries
- Weapon mounted white light - (optional)
- Weapon mounted visible laser (Crimson Trace) – (optional)

***Vickers Tactical sponsors will be providing free give a ways that will be used as prizes during the class. ***

Please contact me at photaling10@verizon.net or M4carbine.net PM if you would like to attend.

Dark Knight
03-30-08, 16:54
Is anyone registered for this class that hasn't done any training or competition before? Just trying to get a gauge of the shooters that'll be attending.

lindertw
03-30-08, 17:39
I'm in... PM sent VA_Dinger!

VA_Dinger
03-30-08, 17:44
Is anyone registered for this class that hasn't done any training or competition before? Just trying to get a gauge of the shooters that'll be attending.

So far it seems like a mix of Mil/LE shooters with very little handgun training, various civilians who have attended 0, 1 , or 2 classes (Most of it non-handgun), and a few who just want to start their Vickers Tactical training with the Level I class and build up to the more advanced classes.

Personally I think this class will help any level shooter get better.

tjcoker
03-30-08, 17:48
Personally I think this class will help any level shooter get better.

No truer words could be spoken. I was wondering the samething about other shooters in the SLC Utah class... LAV could make a Helen Keller into an awesome shot. :D

mark5pt56
03-30-08, 18:11
In my opinion, everyone would benefit doing basic classess from time to time. It helps to review alot of things. Something some people think is beneath them.

Jay Cunningham
03-30-08, 18:16
In my opinion, everyone would benefit doing basic classess from time to time. It helps to review alot of things. Something some people think is beneath them.

Agree 100% - I would take this class if my schedule allowed for it.

M4arc
03-30-08, 18:28
Dinger, put me down for this class. It will be my birthday present to myself.

IrishDevil
03-30-08, 18:31
Believe me, anyone can learn something in LAV's classes, no matter how basic. Just finished the 3-Day Pistol in Brady, TX today, great class. I just need to remember to "Simma Down" and practice my trigger control. Oh yeah the windows were tasty.:D

Jim D
03-30-08, 19:20
I'm in.

I've done some formal/informal training on all of the topics listed (civ.) ....but that doesn't mean I have any idea how Larry does it.

My goal is to gain more confidence in knowing that what I'm already doing, is what I should be doing...and/or to learn what I can do better/ differently.

The confidence that comes with training with someone of Larry's caliber, is well worth the premium. Even if I don't overhaul anything as a result of the course, it'll still be great. Whether I'm sucking it up and starting over from scratch...or shooting well, and confirming what I'm already doing...it'll be an awesome experience that I'm hoping to learn a lot from.

Fall can't come early enough for me now. I can't wait!

Edited to add: I'm really excited to put my shooting with Big Dot sights to the test, in this course. I've shot em out to 50 yards on steel, and made good hits....but I'm under the impression that I'm gonna have to rethink what "accurate" really means...and I'm excited to get this opportunity.

tjcoker
03-30-08, 20:34
I think LAV could make Stevey Wonder shoot like a non-window licker!

VA_Dinger
03-31-08, 09:41
Dinger, put me down for this class. It will be my birthday present to myself.

10-4, you are now on the roster.

Jimbo also?

M4arc
03-31-08, 09:46
10-4, you are now on the roster.

Jimbo also?

I don't know but I'll find out.

Wayne Dobbs
03-31-08, 10:20
It doesn't matter how much training you may have had, Larry's classes will challenge the hell out of you. He is excellent at imparting the skills and knowledge you need to be a successful shooter. I guarantee you will work VERY hard to meet his accuracy standards. Also, Larry's background and frame of reference combine to give you a level of training that will do a much better job of preparing you for the real world than lots of other options out there.

I've done two classes with him this year: a carbine/pistol and just finished a pistol class with him yesterday. I've been teaching/training firearms for close to 30 years and he's off the charts.

VA_Dinger
03-31-08, 19:38
FYI: Everyone who has emailed or sent me a PM should have received their sign-up forms today.

If you did not get them or would like to sign-up please contact me.

Hootiewho
04-01-08, 10:57
Are there still open spots for this class?

Thanks

Heavy Metal
04-01-08, 20:30
Don't forget this is one of my four. DP should have my form.

d90king
04-01-08, 21:55
Looking forward to getting a great education from one of the greats. Thanks to Jim for the info, looking forward to a road trip.

Rmplstlskn
04-01-08, 22:01
If there is still open slots, put me down and send form package...

Rmpl

newbie9mil
04-01-08, 23:36
Please send me a packet for the basic pistol class if there are still openings.
Thanks!

VA_Dinger
04-05-08, 17:41
I have been replying to emails & PM's all day.

If you contacted me about attending this class and did not hear back from me, please let me know.

Rmplstlskn
04-06-08, 18:31
I have been replying to emails & PM's all day.

If you contacted me about attending this class and did not hear back from me, please let me know.

I still haven't heard from you yet... Please send link to app package.

Rmpl

VA_Dinger
04-06-08, 18:33
I still haven't heard from you yet... Please send link to app package.

Rmpl

I just emailed you the sign-up info.

Welcome aboard.

OD*
04-08-08, 18:38
Signed-up today, I am really looking forward to this. :D

d90king
04-08-08, 20:25
Signed-up today, I am really looking forward to this. :D

Nice very nice indeed. Look forward to seeing you there.

OD*
04-08-08, 21:48
Look forward to seeing you there.

As do I, Patrick. https://www.m4carbine.net/images/icons/icon14.gif

VA_Dinger
04-10-08, 17:24
FYI: This class is getting full.

I only have a few seats available. Please contact me if you would like to sign-up.

DZL HOG
04-18-08, 18:27
Any spots left?

VA_Dinger
04-19-08, 07:51
Any spots left?

Yes I do.

Some guys are not sending in their sign-up forms and deposits promptly, so seats are still available.

I will PM you my contact info.

Welcome aboard.

Hootiewho
04-19-08, 09:25
When will we receive conformation that our registration and deposit was received?

Jim D
04-19-08, 21:51
LAV has my deposit already, and my reg slip was sent off to you earlier this week. Let me know if there's anything else you need!

Thanks!

*others have been requesting confirmation, too*

JustinTime
04-20-08, 09:07
I'm in if there is still a spot available email and registration form sent.

d90king
04-20-08, 12:12

Look forward to seeing you there. Nice very nice.....

OD*
04-20-08, 13:32

Lookin' forward to seeing ya there.

VA_Dinger
04-20-08, 19:22
When will we receive conformation that our registration and deposit was received?

Send me a PM.

I do not even try to keep track of screen names.

VA_Dinger
04-20-08, 19:23
I just send replies to every bodies questions. If you did not get your questions answered please send me an email or PM.

Thanks

JustinTime
04-20-08, 22:37
Look forward to seeing you there. Nice very nice.....

Likewise, I'm looking forward to it as well. Glad I picked up on your TRC post on the other board.

JustinTime
04-20-08, 22:37
Lookin' forward to seeing ya there.

Same here Dan. It will be cool.

lindertw
04-26-08, 06:28
a little early for this, but if anyone wants to ride-share from Northern VA down to the class I can accommodate 1-3 extra folks in my Honda Civic.

shoot me a PM if you're interested.

VA_Dinger
04-26-08, 10:14
OK, I just got back into town last night.

Everybody who has contacted should have been sent the registration forms this morning.

Please let me know if you contacted me but got missed.

Thank you.

Dragonskin
04-27-08, 05:00
Would this class be a recommendation for Mil who has done protection/LE for 10 years or would the advance be more of what is needed? I ask because do not want to "Be that guy" who enters a class of this caliber and looks like ass?
Thanks

VA_Dinger
04-27-08, 11:22
Would this class be a recommendation for Mil who has done protection/LE for 10 years or would the advance be more of what is needed? I ask because do not want to "Be that guy" who enters a class of this caliber and looks like ass?
Thanks

PM sent

Vendetta
05-04-08, 15:26
Are there any seats still available? Other questions, what would the closest air port be?

VA_Dinger
05-06-08, 10:05
Are there any seats still available? Other questions, what would the closest air port be?

I have MAYBE 1-2 open seats so email me quick.

The best airports are either Richmond, Virginia or Raleigh/Durham, NC.

They are almost identical driving distances to South Hill.

John_Wayne777
05-06-08, 10:32
Mr. Vickers has my payment information for this one and I'm putting the forms in the mail tonight.

Thanks, Paul!

DZL HOG
05-06-08, 12:16
My forms and deposit went in the mail this morning.

VA_Dinger
05-16-08, 10:53
FYI: due to the popularity of this class Larry has decided to add a few seats.

If you contacted me before and were told it was full please feel free to email me again. I now have 4-5 open seats.

Jim D
05-16-08, 21:52
FYI: due to the popularity of this class Larry has decided to add a few seats.

If you contacted me before and were told it was full please feel free to email me again. I now have 4-5 open seats.

Is more staff being added too?

VA_Dinger
05-17-08, 08:08
Is more staff being added too?

Yes, an A.I. has been added for the class but he cannot be specifically named on an open Internet forum.

Trust me, you will like him.

Dragonskin
05-17-08, 21:02
where do I sign up?

DZL HOG
05-17-08, 23:52
where do I sign up?

Send VA_Dinger a PM thru the site with your email address or just email him at the address posted on the first page. He'll email the forms to you.

gmark340
05-19-08, 16:23
Hi, all. Anyone hail from central NJ or Eastern PA that might have an interest in car pooling to the course?

Jim D
05-19-08, 23:59
I know there are currently at least 4 or 5 of us from Eastern PA....not sure any of us have thought about transpo, yet.

Send me a PM, shouldn't be too hard for us all to work something out.

USPcompact
05-23-08, 12:12
One more signed up.

:)

VA_Dinger
05-23-08, 12:23
One more signed up.

:)

Welcome aboard.

I will get the sign-up forms out to you today.

30 cal slut
06-04-08, 07:01
Any spots left?

If so ...

*sound of my wallet getting lighter*

VA_Dinger
06-04-08, 09:48
FYI: This class has a few open seats available.

I just replied to all emails & PM's concerning this class. If anybody has any additional questions please feel free to contact me.

Welcome aboard to the new sign-ups, this will be an awesome class.

VA_Dinger
06-05-08, 09:16
FYI: This class is now full pending everybody mails in there deposit & forms in a timely manner.

I will be starting a waiting list if anybody would like 1st shot at any potential open seats. Please feel free to contact me.

VA_Dinger
06-18-08, 15:12
I have two open seats for this class again due to a few drop outs.

I'm assuming they will go quickly.

Just contact me if you would like one of them.

PM or email is fine;

Paul@vickerstactical.com

30 cal slut
06-18-08, 20:32
Paul, forms and deposit sent (belatedly). I'm still in.

-slut

VA_Dinger
06-19-08, 00:05
Paul, forms and deposit sent (belatedly). I'm still in.

-slut

10-4,

I still had you on the roster.

FYI: Just one open seat is available for this class. If you want in contact me.

VA_Dinger
06-20-08, 16:28
This class is full again.

I do have a waiting list but it already has 4-6 guys on it. If you would like to have your name added to it, please contact me.

VA_Dinger
08-06-08, 12:00
FYI: My payment reminder, range location, start time, and other info email will be going out tonight to everybody signed up for the class.

If your signed up and do not receive it this evening please let me know.

Paul (AT) Vickerstactical.com

VA_Dinger
08-08-08, 10:54
Sorry about the delay in sending out the email.

It WILL be going out tonight.

Heavy Metal
08-08-08, 12:40
It will be nice to have a class where I don't have to lug my longgun.

OD*
08-09-08, 20:54
Sorry about the delay in sending out the email.

It WILL be going out tonight.

Nothing yet. ;)

VA_Dinger
08-09-08, 23:56
Nothing yet. ;)

The email just went out ten minutes ago.

Please let me know if anybody did not receive it.

OD*
08-10-08, 08:48
The email just went out ten minutes ago.

Please let me know if anybody did not receive it.

Received, thank you, Sir.

VA_Dinger
08-13-08, 19:30
What handguns are you guys going to be shooting in the class?

I will be bringing my #1 M&P 9mm, plus an HK45 but my HK45 time might be limited unless some holsters that I ordered arrive in time.

lindertw
08-13-08, 19:40
G19 will be my primary; Colt Commander w/CTC grips as a backup (hoping to try out the laser grips if we get any low light work in).

I'll be at the Three Angels Inn on Friday afternoon - any chance of getting in a little range time Friday afternoon/evening? :cool:

30 cal slut
08-13-08, 19:59
thinking of bringing a bunch, since i don't have to lug the long guns (and all the junk that goes with them).

M&P/9, M&P/45, a 1911 here and there in various oddball calibers (for those walkback drills :D), and a Mk23. Wait, that last one might count as a carbine. ;)

John_Wayne777
08-13-08, 20:43
What handguns are you guys going to be shooting in the class?

A Glock 17 will probably be my primary...but I'll also be bringing my Burwell customized M&P 9, stock 9C, a G19 and my M&P .45's. I might get some trigger time in on my .45's since I have very little so far. Of course, anyone who wishes to get some trigger time on my guns is welcome to do so....If you can feed them, that is....=)

TOrrock
08-13-08, 21:55
Both my M&P 45's.

OD*
08-13-08, 21:57
Baer Thunder Ranch
Colt Gunsite
Glack 19
(another Baer if it arrives in time)

babaracus
08-13-08, 22:02
HK P2000 LEM 9mm
SW 642
Springfield Loaded 1911

I've never shot an M&P of any flavor, so I'll definitely bring some extra ammo and take you guys up on your generosity.

DZL HOG
08-14-08, 18:28
XD9 will probly be my primary
I bought a CZ 75 SP-01 last Saturday, so I hope to get some time with it. Ive got to order some more mags and a holster for it first though. Judging from the first 50rds I fired through it late last Sunday, its more accurate than my XD.

My ccw(Kahr PM9) will be in my pocket or in the truck, but I dont see me shooting that shorty on the range.

Hootiewho
08-14-08, 21:21
I will be bringing my M&P 9 and hopefully I will get a chance to finally run the warren tactical 2 dot tritium sights that I have been pestering Scott about for the past 6 months. He is suppose to finally have me a set coming next week.

VA_Dinger
08-17-08, 07:18
Sounds like we are going to be seeing a lot of M&P's in the class.

Sproggy
08-17-08, 21:31
Ill be shooting a Heavily customized G19 out of a brand new side armor holster. Im looking forward to it:D!

VA_Dinger
08-27-08, 01:04
Is everybody ready?

This class is getting close. :D

d90king
08-29-08, 17:42
Les Baer Super Tac
Nighthawk Vickers Recon
Ed Brown Kobra Karry
Baer TRS Commanche

gmark340
08-30-08, 07:52
For those arriving Friday, has anyone thought about arranging a get together for Friday evening, either for dinner or a beer? This was arranged at the last Vickers course I took and it was a nice, relaxed way to meet some of the class members. I have never been to South Hill so I don't know it well enough to suggest a place.

d90king
08-30-08, 08:21
For those arriving Friday, has anyone thought about arranging a get together for Friday evening, either for dinner or a beer? This was arranged at the last Vickers course I took and it was a nice, relaxed way to meet some of the class members. I have never been to South Hill so I don't know it well enough to suggest a place.

I think it is a great idea. I dont know the area or whats down there.

OD*
08-30-08, 09:19
Sounds good to me too.

lindertw
08-30-08, 09:40
me too - don't know the area, but I'm in for a dinner get together on Friday.

John_Wayne777
08-30-08, 10:28

That seems to be the tradition for M4C members attending a Vickers course in South Hill.

I plan on being in South Hill by late afternoon or early evening. I'll be up for a nice little get together.

John_Wayne777
08-30-08, 10:30
I think it is a great idea. I dont know the area or whats down there.

Cracker Barrel, Applebee's, and....umm......Cracker Barrel....and Applebee's.......and Aplebee's.....

:D They are the only two sit-down type restaurants I know of in South Hill.

I suggest Applebee's. We'll all be heading to Cracker Barrel with LAV and the AI(s) on TD1 anyway. Templar is going to be joining us and he's typically found us a way to get a big table at Applebee's. I think he lives the closest.

OD*
08-30-08, 10:30
Where is everyone staying?

John_Wayne777
08-30-08, 10:34
Where is everyone staying?

Holiday Inn for me. 60 bucks a night....can't beat that. The Holiday Inn and the Hampton Inn are the best places to stay. The other places in South Hill are ghetto...and I don't mean in the latte sipping, beret wearing, "Urban fabulous" way either....I mean in the crack hoes and brothers giving you the hard look kind of way.

lindertw
08-30-08, 10:35
I'm staying at Three Angels Inn (http://www.threeangelsinn.com/).

OD*
08-30-08, 10:37
That's not good to hear, we will be at the Days Inn (use to be Best Western) because they accept dogs.

30 cal slut
08-30-08, 16:28
Is everybody ready?

This class is getting close. :D

i'm sporting major wood in anticipation of this class. :D:D:D

DZL HOG
08-30-08, 18:32
Yea pretty much ready.

One minor equipment prob, the holster I ordered for my CZ 75 SP-01 doesnt fit. Apparently theres a big difference between the SP-01 and a standard 75B. Ill claim that mistake, for not making sure before ordering. Good news is the gun fits my XD holster, but its pretty tight.

I went by Wally World and bought some more ammo today, Blazer and WWB. I shot up most of the WWB this afternoon checking new mags. But I still have over 1K rds in stock. :D

If you guys come up with some plans for Fri night meet and eat type thing, post up, I might swing by after work depending on time.

gmark340
08-30-08, 21:29
Hampton Inn for me. I don't know the area but I'd be happy with any restaurant on Friday evening that would take a group.

Hootiewho
08-30-08, 23:07
This is my first Vickers class and I am looking forward to meeting and training with you guys.

TOrrock
08-31-08, 01:56
Hampton Inn for me. I don't know the area but I'd be happy with any restaurant on Friday evening that would take a group.

From the Hampton, turn left on 58 East and go about one light down, you'll see an Applebee's on the left.

That's about it for the area, besides Cracker Barrel, which we all have a group dinner there on Saturday.

Look's like I'll only be able to make it Saturday. I'm probably going up to Bethesda Naval Hospital on Sunday to visit a Marine buddy with a brain injury. :(

d90king
08-31-08, 15:09
This is my first Vickers class and I am looking forward to meeting and training with you guys.

My first class also and I am also looking forward to meeting some new shooters.

Heavy Metal
08-31-08, 19:24
Holiday Inn for me. 60 bucks a night....can't beat that. The Holiday Inn and the Hampton Inn are the best places to stay. The other places in South Hill are ghetto...and I don't mean in the latte sipping, beret wearing, "Urban fabulous" way either....I mean in the crack hoes and brothers giving you the hard look kind of way.

Coward:D

It's not ghetto, it is a potential training opportunity!

Heavy Metal
08-31-08, 19:25
i'm sporting major wood in anticipation of this class. :D:D:D

Stop it! You are scaring me! Simma Down....

Hootiewho
09-01-08, 16:09
It is looking like we might be playing in the rain during this class, so everyone make sure rain gear is on your list of things to have with you.

yrac
09-01-08, 19:48
It is looking like we might be playing in the rain during this class, so everyone make sure rain gear is on your list of things to have with you.

Word to the wise for those attending... If rain is in the forecast, you might want to bring an extra pair of shoes for the car/restaurant. The red clay at the range is pretty messy when it gets wet.

d90king
09-01-08, 20:46
Does anybody know if there is cover at the range?

flyfishr
09-01-08, 20:48
First course with LAV. First course ever. Bringing the rain gear and water wings (remembering Fran and Floyd passing through NC).

Been by, but never stayed in, South Hill. Are the other motels THAT bad? Have reservation at Comfort Inn. Should I try and switch to Holiday Inn or Hampton?

Looking forward to meeting you guys. Applebee's Friday night, did you all settle on a time?

Thanks

Hootiewho
09-01-08, 20:56
Word to the wise for those attending... If rain is in the forecast, you might want to bring an extra pair of shoes for the car/restaurant. The red clay at the range is pretty messy when it gets wet.

Thanks & sorry that I will be bring up the remnants of a hurricane up with me from the south when I come.

TOrrock
09-01-08, 20:56
First course with LAV. First course ever. Bringing the rain gear and water wings (remembering Fran and Floyd passing through NC).

Been by, but never stayed in, South Hill. Are the other motels THAT bad? Have reservation at Comfort Inn. Should I try and switch to Holiday Inn or Hampton?

Looking forward to meeting you guys. Applebee's Friday night, did you all settle on a time?

Thanks

I'd definitely try to switch to The Hampton or Holliday Inn. I personally prefer The Hampton.

Looking forward to seeing you guys Saturday.

TOrrock
09-01-08, 21:07

There's cover in at the back where you can keep your gear, but when shooting, you're out in the open.

As yrac stated, good idea to take a spare set of boots, the mud will be bad out there if it's raining, especially when the ground gets churned up.

Here's GotM4 at the 08 Moderator class, where it was wet, cold, and nasty, but excellent training weather! :cool:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/Tim_Orrock/M4%20Carbine%20Mod%20Class%203-10-08/Robb2.jpg

yrac
09-01-08, 21:07

Covered shooting positions with concrete/cinder block benches. Everyone will stage their gear in this area, and this is where you'll typically hang out on breaks. If it's an overhead rain, you're in good shape. If it's blowing in sideways, the cover won't help too much, but it should keep gear fairly dry unless the weather is really bad.

ETA - Sorry about the cross post, Templar!

d90king
09-01-08, 21:17
There's cover in at the back where you can keep your gear, but when shooting, you're out in the open.

As yrac stated, good idea to take a spare set of boots, the mud will be bad out there if it's raining, especially when the ground gets churned up.

Here's GotM4 at the 08 Moderator class, where it was wet, cold, and nasty, but excellent training weather! :cool:]

Thanks guys for the quick replies. Sounds like we will be getting wet. I might have to go buy a Glock to use for training with muddy wet mags........

flyfishr
09-01-08, 21:33
Thanks guys - - - got the motel changed to Hampton.

Heavy Metal
09-01-08, 22:26
From what I am hearing, we might get some really, really heavy rain as in constant driving rain and high wind Saturday as he remnants of that hurricane out in the Atlantic.

Is there any possibility that if the forcast is really, really, really bad the class will be rescheduled?

Should we be preparded for that possibility?

OD*
09-02-08, 07:14
From what I am hearing, we might get some really, really heavy rain as in constant driving rain and high wind Saturday as he remnants of that hurricane out in the Atlantic.

Is there any possibility that if the forcast is really, really, really bad the class will be rescheduled?

I would be interested in knowing this also, our motel requires a 24 hour notice of cancellation.

John_Wayne777
09-02-08, 07:24
We experienced heavy driving rain during the May '08 edition of the Vickers/Hackathorn low light level I class. The show rolled on.

I won't pretend to speak for Mr. Vickers here, but my guess would be that absent a serious safety concern the class will probably go on. I'd bring some decent rain gear and some weapons and carry gear that don't care about water. If your ear pro is electronic it would probably be wise to bring some non-electronic ear pro as well just in case you can't keep them dry.

I doubt we'll be doing much crawling around in the mud since it's a pistol class, but I'd advise bringing some trashbags or plastic tarps that you can put in your vehicle to protect against the mud that will inevitably cover your shoes.

Jay Cunningham
09-02-08, 07:27
My $.02 regarding rain: just bring a full change of clothes and deal with being wet. Yes, it's miserable but so what. All the rain gear is a PITA and hampers your performance.

I actually like training in miserable conditions because it gives me better insight into what works.

John_Wayne777
09-02-08, 08:05
Well that, and deep down you're also a masochist.

d90king
09-02-08, 08:06
I would be interested in knowing this also, our motel requires a 24 hour notice of cancellation.

It looks like it could be dicey........ I doubt that the class will be cancelled.

TOrrock
09-02-08, 08:08
Besides, me getting rained on isn't any different than me being out there in 98 degree weather with 95% humidity......:eek:

Heavy Metal
09-02-08, 12:49
I am only concerned if it becomes so bad you can't see well or hear range commands. This is a Hurricane remnant we are talking about and if it set in it will likely persist for some time.

I routinely get a wet ass at work working in downpours. I am pretty much ASAT.

UPDATE:

It appears they (the weather channel) are no longer forecasting high winds on Saturday so I think we are going to be ok.

30 cal slut
09-02-08, 12:56
Wx forecast calls for a little rain on Sat. and fine on Sun.

Accuweather forecast for Sat:

High: 88 °F RealFeel®: 96 °F
Breezy in the morning; clouds breaking for some sun with a couple of showers and a thunderstorm

If it rains, bring it on, the Glocks will be coming out and I'll be in my fishing foul weather gear.

gmark340
09-02-08, 17:30
As was mentioned above, Applebee's is just down the road (Southeast) from the Hampton Inn. It is right on Rt. 58, same side as the Hampton Inn, across from a BP station, possibly just past a traffic light (getting this over the phone from the hostess). They don't take reservations and claim none would be needed for a party of 10 or so on Friday evening. I can eat anytime but if we are to meet as a group we ought to have a target time, so for those interested, does getting together around 6:30 work? Feel free to suggest any other time until we get a consensus. The first one there can say it's for the "Vickers group" so those coming after can be directed to the table or tables.

DZL HOG
09-02-08, 18:14
From what Ive seen on the local weather forecast, they still are uncertain of the path the storm will take. But they are forecasting around 5" of rain for this area with storms arriving Friday afternoon and carrying on into Saturday morning, and clearing sometime Saturday afternoon. So either way the ground will be wet, and like Templar was suggesting its gonna either be raining or hot and humid, so we'll be wet anyway.

Applebees at 6:30pm Friday evening will be fine with me. But if its raining and I get soaked at work before hand(very likely), after I get home and put some dry clothes on I doubt I will feel adventurous enough to go back out in the storm again. Yes Im lazy like that. :p

VA_Dinger
09-02-08, 18:56

Weather.com's forcast for the weekend;

Saturday:
High 90°F / Low 70°F
Rain / Precip: 60%

Sunday:
High 94°F / Low 69°F
Partly cloudy / Precip: 20%

Seems like Saturday it's going to wet.

Speaking from experience in other foul weather Vickers Tactical classes I would say be prepared to train. Rain/cold/heat/wind has not stopped us before, so unless the forcast changes drastically we are a go.

Several of us remember one very wet night with everyone soaked to the bone and the temperature down in the high thirties. We still trained and had a great time.

John_Wayne777
09-03-08, 10:58
I can eat anytime but if we are to meet as a group we ought to have a target time, so for those interested, does getting together around 6:30 work?

I probably won't be in town by 6:30. Closer to 7:30 or 8 would work better for me, but don't let that derail anybody else.

gmark340
09-03-08, 15:25
I may have missed this somewhere along the way but does anyone know what time we will finish up on Sunday? Is anyone staying over Sunday and leaving Monday morning?

VA_Dinger
09-03-08, 17:57
I may have missed this somewhere along the way but does anyone know what time we will finish up on Sunday?

I would say around 3 or 4 PM.

30 cal slut
09-04-08, 11:00
whoah. i don't care about the heavy rains forecast for the morning, but she's gonna BLOW.

wind gusts up to 85 MPH on sat. per accuweather forecast.

30 cal slut
09-04-08, 11:01
so who's got wind bullet deflection charts for 115 gr 9mm? walkback drills. :D

Heavy Metal
09-04-08, 14:49
I am going to need a ride from South Hill to the range Saturday by someone with a 4WD. There is no way my Civic will make it thru the mud.

John_Wayne777
09-04-08, 15:21
I may need the same if it's going to be a mud bog.

lindertw
09-04-08, 15:30
hmmm... didn't think about muddy roads (I'm driving a Civic as well). I may be standing out front of Three Angels Inn thumbing a ride into the range :p

Hootiewho
09-04-08, 16:36
hmmm... didn't think about muddy roads (I'm driving a Civic as well). I may be standing out front of Three Angels Inn thumbing a ride into the range :p

I will be taking the girlfriends diesel Jetta so if any of you guys happen to see a soaked white dude pulling a pelican case down the road, please offer him a lift.

Thanks

flyfishr
09-04-08, 17:25
Tell me you guys are kidding about the road? Turning off of 58 onto route 681, right? A good solid state secondary road, right?

Used to do that in ID when flyfishing. "Go down Woods Road 16". We found out those were literal instructions. Bottomed out the rental car on what was an unimproved logging road. Rental company was not happy . . .

Ah, reading the directions again . . . turn off 681 onto dirt road. No distance down that road specified. That would be - - - how far??

The adventure begins at the beginning, I reckon.

See you guys tomorrow evening, if Hanna doesn't wash out the roads.

VA_Dinger
09-04-08, 17:52
FYI: The range access road isn't going to be bad. Even with heavy rain it will only be rutted or have a puddle at the very bottom of the first decline. The rest of it is up on high ground.

I've driven it and ridden across it in many a Honda that aren't more than three inch's off the ground.

30 cal slut
09-04-08, 18:05
i've got room for 3 guys in my truck just in case.

um, remember last february ... one of us couldn't get a bmw sedan up the access road. :eek:

VA_Dinger
09-04-08, 18:07
Vinh has driven it with his new Porsche. :)

DZL HOG
09-04-08, 18:14
681 is a good blacktop road, unless you go past the range a couple miles, then it turns to crap but is style hard surface. The only thing to worry about on 681 is limbs and other debris that could have fallen/blown into the road. As for the drive way at the range, Ive never been all the way down in there but whats visible from the road has gravel with maybe a small puddle at the gate which is at the bottom of the hill.(like VA_Dinger mentioned) Shouldnt be any probs, but if your worried about it, get there early and park near the road, someone will give ya a ride in. I will more than likely be driving my big truck b/c it has a covered bed and plenty of room to put crap with out worry of getting (too) wet.

d90king
09-04-08, 18:39
Vinh has driven it with his new Porsche. :)

The question is did he make it?

d90king
09-04-08, 18:41
whoah. i don't care about the heavy rains forecast for the morning, but she's gonna BLOW.

wind gusts up to 85 MPH on sat. per accuweather forecast.

Is this a joke? God help us if it's not.

VA_Dinger
09-04-08, 18:56
The question is did he make it?

Yeah, trust me it's not going to be bad. Just one medium sized rut and a puddle in one small section.

I do not see it as being an issue for anybody.

VA_Dinger
09-04-08, 18:58
Obviously rain gear and extra shoes would probably be a good idea for Saturday.

Sunday on the other hand looks like it's going to be very nice.

flyfishr
09-04-08, 19:20
I'll be driving my Exploder and staying at the Hampton if anybody needs a ride. Arriving tomorrow evening early, and will probably be at Applebees.

Drop me an PM if you do.

Flyfishr

Hootiewho
09-04-08, 19:20
I can't wait to get there, I have really been looking forward to this class.

Also, anyone know what Virginia's Law on having firearms in the car is?

I have a CWP, but my girlfriend doesn't have hers yet as she is waiting on her's to be approved and she will be taking me to the range. She will keep a pistol with her, and I want to make sure that if she gets pulled over she doesn't have any trouble.

Thanks

John_Wayne777
09-04-08, 21:29
I can't wait to get there, I have really been looking forward to this class.

Also, anyone know what Virginia's Law on having firearms in the car is?

I have a CWP, but my girlfriend doesn't have hers yet as she is waiting on her's to be approved and she will be taking me to the range. She will keep a pistol with her, and I want to make sure that if she gets pulled over she doesn't have any trouble.

Thanks

Open carry doesn't require a permit in Virginia. Any non-prohibited adult can carry a firearm openly. If the weapon isn't immediately visible to the officer making a stop, however, it might be ruled a "concealed" weapon. If your permit is honored in Virginia, I'd just say that any handguns you keep loaded in the car are YOUR pistols. You have the permit....

Other than that, weapons have to be unloaded and cased, ammo stored separately. (don't keep loaded mags in the case with the pistol)

EDIT --

Something else....did we decide on a time to meet at Applebee's?

EDIT 2 --

Hootie....when do you want to try to do the sight switch?

EDIT 3 --

Hopefully Todd doesn't wuss out on us....:D

gmark340
09-04-08, 21:42
The consensus seems to be that those interested meet at around 6:30. First one there should establish it as the "Vickers group." There may be one or two who come a little later.

ToddG
09-05-08, 08:06
EDIT 3 --

Hopefully Todd doesn't wuss out on us....:D

Just switching days. Since I'm not doing any shooting, you'll excuse me if I don't feel like standing in 85mph winds and torrential rain just to watch a bunch of guys I've never met before have fun. :p

Looks like I'm driving down Sa evening and will be out at the range for a few hours on Sunday.

30 cal slut
09-05-08, 09:43
Applebee's serves alcohol, right?

Do they give you crap for OC'ing there?

just curious.

m4fun
09-05-08, 10:16
how much rain gear everyone packing?

:D

John_Wayne777
09-05-08, 11:45

just curious.

Applebee's does indeed serve alcohol. According to Virginia law carrying concealed is prohibited in such an establishment.

Open carry is legal.

As to how they react to it, I don't know...I've never openly carried there before.

[Forrest Gump] And that's all I have to say about that. [/Forrest Gump]

John_Wayne777
09-05-08, 11:46
Just switching days. Since I'm not doing any shooting, you'll excuse me if I don't feel like standing in 85mph winds and torrential rain just to watch a bunch of guys I've never met before have fun. :p

You wound me, dude.

You wound me.

I thought what we had was special.

30 cal slut
09-05-08, 12:07

dude i hope yer jeep is covered up. :eek:

USPcompact
09-05-08, 12:09

It's either get wet from the pouring rain, or get soaked with sweat under rain gear.

m4fun
09-05-08, 13:10
dude i hope yer jeep is covered up. :eek:

I put the doors on earlier - Top and sides up shortly! Up in NOVA it is just getting cloudy right now but the sun is still out!

M4arc
09-05-08, 13:41
The rain just started here at the beach. Good luck this weekend guys! I have to try and board a plane in this crap :(

TOrrock
09-05-08, 14:05

just curious.

I've never open carried there. I'm just sayin', and I'm not telling you to do anything counter to the law.

30 cal slut
09-05-08, 14:29
tim i think u need to pack an extra shirt ... humidity's gonna be pushing 100% tomorrow. not including the rain. :D

Sproggy
09-05-08, 18:41
I may be a little late tomorrow:(. Cant get out of town tonight and who knows what kind of problems Im gonna have gettin out to the range in my little Scion tomorrow morning.....the weather report says 50mph gusts in south hill!:eek:

Does anyone have any suggestions for handling the rain? Is it worth it to sweat your butt off in rain gear? Is anyone else thinking about just sucking it up and getting rained on?

TOrrock
09-05-08, 18:46
I'm gonna suck it up and get rained on.

I sweat so bad anyway that it won't look any different than any other class I've had in the summer.

I'll be arriving at the class in the morning.

I can take 2 extra people in my truck if they don't think their car will make it back to the range.

PM me if you want a ride from South Hill.

m4fun
09-05-08, 20:15
Templar - I dont know if I could tell the difference between you sweating or soaked in the rain. You got the full body irragtion system going for you.

TOrrock
09-05-08, 20:25
Templar - I dont know if I could tell the difference between you sweating or soaked in the rain. You got the full body irragtion system going for you.

It'll be nice to see everyone else soaking wet for a change. :cool:

VA_Dinger
09-05-08, 20:47
FYI: Water proof shoes would be good idea also.

I'm bringing three pairs of shoes in a vain attempt to keep a dry pair on my feet as much as possible.

DZL HOG
09-05-08, 21:19
Dont know what tonite will bring, but as of now it has barely rained enough to get the ground wet on top. Im sure that will change in the next few hours.

We spent most of the day at work "getting ready." I may be running late tomorrow also, Ive got to work in the morning b/c when I talked with my boss the other day about taking off he didnt really give me a straight answer. It was depending on another employee. I dont foresee us being very busy tomorrow. Im goin in early in case there is something I need to get done, so I hope to be able to slip out around 930. From work Im only 5 minutes from the range. Worst case is I get there around noon, thats when we close on Saturdays.
I cleaned the guns and packed the truck tonight. I packed a rain coat, a change of clothes just in case and another pair of boots. This should be a good time to test my Gore Tex work boots. Wet feet make for a miserable day.

lindertw
09-06-08, 07:08
I failed to get phone #'s from those who showed up at Applebee's last night (and I left VA_Dinger's number at home)... if there are any updates re: delayed start due to weather, etc. please give me a call (five seven one) two one four - eight one zero three. Otherwise, I'll see you at the range at 1000 :D

Sproggy
09-06-08, 12:37
How was day one fellas? Unfortunately I couldnt get out of town due to some confusion with work. Im pretty bummed about it but Im hoping I didnt miss too much due to the weather. Can anyone give an overview of what happened? What time do you plan on starting tomorrow? I will see you all in the morning for day 2!

DZL HOG
09-06-08, 20:33
Sproggy,
The show went on even in the wind and rain. As LAV put it "Suck it the f*** up, you dont get to decide the weather when a gunfight starts"
It was very wet until after lunch, then the sun came out and started to dry some.
The range path wasnt so bad, but still I dont think my truck has ever seen that much mud before. :D (just more work before the next show)
I think the day went very well, considering the starting conditions, but this was my first class of any sorts. Ill let some of the other guys who do this more often go into a detailed AAR, whenever they can.
We finished the day a little after 5pm. Which gave me time to run home and get in some dove hunting before sunset.
Cant wait for the class tomorrow, start time is 9am, dont get there b4 830, no one will be there and the gate will be locked. But I guess you could wait in the drive? :confused:

TOrrock
09-06-08, 23:27
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?p=215145&posted=1#post215145