PDA

View Full Version : Thompson Center Dimension

Crow Hunter
05-11-13, 11:23
http://dimensionrifle.tcarms.com/#{%22p%22:%220%22}

Anyone own/try out one of these?

I have a buddy at work that says it was the best feeling rifle he had ever held in his life and he is aggressively saving his pennies to get one.

I had never heard of it, but it has some interesting features.

paulw350
06-21-13, 21:37
the one i got to hold, i agree with your friend. it shoulders very nice, its different looking but ive been saving up for one too.

steyrman13
06-21-13, 23:01
I have shot one. It fits pretty nice, but feels kinda cheap to me. It does seem nice to swap calipers on it though. I think the "best" feeling from the factory is a Steyr prohunter.

williejc
06-22-13, 02:20
Unless I misunderstand, changing barrels will require one to re-zero for each barrel change, which be a big pain and a lot of trouble.

Ga45fan
06-23-13, 10:27
Unless I misunderstand, changing barrels will require one to re-zero for each barrel change, which be a big pain and a lot of trouble.

That is the case unless you buy a separate piece for each barrel that allows you to mate a scope with each barrel, then you can maintain zero, but you need a scope for each barrel...how well it works I don't know.

It's a very very accurate rifle, but so is a Ruger American and it's $100s cheaper, the stock is built for the correct cheek wield with a scope mounted, it feels a bit on the cheap side but the mechanical function is solid. I think all plastic stocks feel cheap so I'm a poor choice for a useful opinion in that regard. It generates a lot of interest at the range but you'll be the only person at the range with one. I'm not seeing any outside the local gun store and haven't seen anyone else at a range with one. This may be because the group of shooters at my club are die hard 700 fans for field and precision guns, you don't see many others other than M4 clones etc.

It sounds like a great concept but once you sit down to do the math you'll find out that a new barrel, bolt, mag, scope rail, and scope add up very close to another rifle....

If you'd buy two, or more, of the same rifle in different calibers than I think it'd be a great choice so if you love 700's or A-10's and would have that same rifle in 223, 243, 300 etc then the TC makes sense, if you like it that well. If you prefer to build a rifle per caliber then not so much.

If you can shoot one before you buy one do so, I'm not a huge fan of the forearm it needs to be stiffened and/or brought up higher to cover more of the barrel. The stock is great in that you can swap spacers for smaller shooters or for really heavy clothing. It's well finished and very tight when new, stays tight too. I'm not a fan of the grey texturing on the grip and forearm but it's far better than the plastic SPS stock or the American stock.

It's got great "space gun" appeal to it, it does feel really good when mounted on the shoulder and had it not burned the crap out of me I'd probably be more tolerant of the forearm...totally my own fault...wish the mag held one more or there was a 10 round version for the 204/223.

That said I liquidated it and used the proceeds to fund an A-10 predator rifle and like the A-10 better. My son doesn't agree as he liked the "black rifle" appeal of the TC, but he's 12.

jandbj
06-23-13, 10:29
Thompson/Center Arms™ has identified a condition that may cause the safety lever on certain ICON®, VENTURE™ and DIMENSION® rifles to bind, preventing the safety from becoming fully engaged. In this situation, closing the bolt may move the safety to the fire position. The rifle will not fire unless the trigger is pulled. However, out of an abundance of caution, we are taking this action to recall the rifles so that the firearm can be inspected by our technicians to ensure that the safety lever functions as designed.

This recall applies to all ICON, VENTURE and DIMENSION rifles manufactured by Thompson/Center Arms prior to June 13, 2013.

STOP USING YOUR RIFLE AND RETURN IT TO THOMPSON/CENTER AT ONCE.

Crow Hunter
06-23-13, 14:05
Thompson/Center Arms™ has identified a condition that may cause the safety lever on certain ICON®, VENTURE™ and DIMENSION® rifles to bind, preventing the safety from becoming fully engaged. In this situation, closing the bolt may move the safety to the fire position. The rifle will not fire unless the trigger is pulled. However, out of an abundance of caution, we are taking this action to recall the rifles so that the firearm can be inspected by our technicians to ensure that the safety lever functions as designed.

This recall applies to all ICON, VENTURE and DIMENSION rifles manufactured by Thompson/Center Arms prior to June 13, 2013.

STOP USING YOUR RIFLE AND RETURN IT TO THOMPSON/CENTER AT ONCE.

Thanks for that, I will definitely let my buddy know about that. I think he has lost interest and moved on to other things anyway, but I will let him know.