PDA

View Full Version : Is the Colt m4 socom 2 worth $800 more than 6920?

OcM4
05-11-13, 18:14
Can't find much info on this.

Retailers state its limited production, only 1500 but I can't find this info on Colts Website.

Also it appears to be identical to the colt socom other than the socom 2 having a Daniel 12" rail vs the KA shorter rail on the socom 1.

Is it worth $800+ more than a le6920?

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/05/12/qapu7aty.jpg

bluejackets92fs
05-11-13, 18:18
That is up to the buyer. A lot of people would say $800 more for a KAC over a Bushmaster is pointless. A gun is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

On another note, you are getting about $600 more in accessories on the firearm.

themighty9mm
05-11-13, 18:27
well you are looking at a 350-400 rail. And unless you have the tools to install it, you will have to take that into account. 2, 30 round mags as apposed to 20's. If that matters to you. And a matech read site wich I believe run around 70 bucks. So in parts alone you are looking at 4-500ish, plus install. Then there is the collectors value.

If you can install the parts yourself, and arnt collecting then no, its not worth it.

If you don't have tools to do so, or are collecting then its kinda up to you.

OcM4
05-11-13, 18:31
If 1500 produced could this be a collectible?

themighty9mm
05-11-13, 18:34

Yes 1500 isn't very many. Also there are collectors for everything. And colt, being the name that it is definatly has a following for collectors

Fuzzy-Reticle
05-11-13, 18:41
Wish I owned one.

OcM4
05-11-13, 18:47
I just bought a socom 2 and I'm trying to make myself feel better about the purchase

themighty9mm
05-11-13, 18:52
I just bought a socom 2 and I'm trying to make myself feel better about the purchase

Are you collecting colts? Or guns at all? Something to keep in the safe and look at? Then congrats, you have a fine piece and a limited run.

Or are you a shooter? If you are a shooter take your new rifle and shoot it. It'll make you feel better about the price you paid. Don't just shoot it a little, shoot it a lot.

OcM4
05-11-13, 19:00
Lol. Def a shooter 1st collector 2nd

Safetyhit
05-11-13, 19:13
That is up to the buyer. A lot of people would say $800 more for a KAC over a Bushmaster is pointless. A gun is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

There is a real, tangible difference between quality manufacturers and their lesser counterparts. Unfortunately your generalization doesn't apply here.

OcM4
05-11-13, 19:21
This is my 1st ar/m4. The allure was the one in 1500 tag line. Yet to confirm that number.

I figured even if the market floods with ar/m4, which it seems its slowly doing now, mine would still hold its value. Im also a military weapon geek. This seemed to be the closest to a sopmod block 2 factory m4 available.

I'm sure for $2k there's better 556 AR options out there.

themighty9mm
05-11-13, 19:36
This is my 1st ar/m4. The allure was the one in 1500 tag line. Yet to confirm that number.

I figured even if the market floods with ar/m4, which it seems its slowly doing now, mine would still hold its value. Im also a military weapon geek. This seemed to be the closest to a sopmod block 2 factory m4 available.

Its similar, but the block 2's use a DD's FDE Ris 2. If you wanted a block 2. You could have bought a basic 6920, added the correct FDE ris 2 FSP or full length, for 350. Added a sopmod stock, matech or KAC rear flip and front flip (depending on what rail you went with) a good sling such as a Vickers, and even optics mount. For roughly what you paid. Also keep in mind as soon as you shoot it, the value is going to drop. Now no matter what it will still have more value than a standard 6920, just based on parts alone.

However don't worry about the value at this point. You obviously were ok with the price and the rifle when you bought it. Either that or you are a fool with your money and have a lot more to blow than most. So either enjoy the rifle, or enjoy being considerably more rich then most. As at this point whats done is done. To get the value back you would have to find a, very much into colt's collector. So just enjoy what you have and forget about value. Just know you have a rifle that is amongst the top of the line, ready for whatever you can throw at it rifle. Take it out, shoot it. If you can afford one, take a class with it.

Cagemonkey
05-11-13, 19:37
Nice rifle. I wouldn't worry about what you paid as long as your happy with it.

Safetyhit
05-11-13, 19:39

As you likely know, beyond the upgrades you are also paying extra for the limited edition, which in the long run may be ideal. Regardless it's almost certain to be a top quality firearm you should never regret purchasing and remain proud to own.

OcM4
05-11-13, 19:54
Themighty9mm - I dont know of any mfg that makes a factory sopmod clone like colt does. I paid msrp for mine btw which is about $1900.

Like you said I'm sure you can piece one together for less.

BSmith
05-11-13, 20:25
If it were the exact (or damn close) rifle you were looking for, I'd think it'd be worth it.

Not what I'm looking for so I'd have a hard time saying it's worth it.

themighty9mm
05-11-13, 20:46
Themighty9mm - I dont know of any mfg that makes a factory sopmod clone like colt does. I paid msrp for mine btw which is about $1900.

Like you said I'm sure you can piece one together for less.

Daniel defense makes some very similar to it. Though different rail, but same basic configuration. What you have is only a sopmod block 2 in name. Either way its a very nice rifle. I have a colt 6920 with a DD ris 2 FDE on it. Nice rifle, very nice rail. Wasn't trying to make you feel bad about your purchase. What you have is a very good gun. And regardless of the price you paid. At the end of the day, as long as you are happy with your purchase it wasn't a bad purchase.

Magic_Salad0892
05-11-13, 20:48
Ugh. Not really.

The DD rail is nice and all, but IDK if it's the best. I guess that's up to the shooter. I stay away from USGI magazines nowadays even though I was heavily invested in them for a while. And I don't care for Matech's sights.

For that money, I'd invest in a KAC SR-15.

OcM4
05-11-13, 20:53
How much are kac sr15s?

Magic_Salad0892
05-11-13, 20:56
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=340942881

About $1500 for an upper.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=341261814

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=340639161

About $2200 for the whole gun. Has E3 bolt, LMT SOPMOD Crane style stock, better rail, CHF barrel, match trigger, longer gas system, better sights, and ambi controls.

IMO. Worth it.

Oh, and the bid is only at $500 bucks for the SBR upper.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=341370090

Ryno12
05-11-13, 20:57
I stay away from USGI magazines nowadays even though I was heavily invested in them for a while.

Why don't you like the USGIs?

Sent via Tapatalk

themighty9mm
05-11-13, 20:57
Ugh. Not really.

The DD rail is nice and all, but IDK if it's the best. I guess that's up to the shooter. I stay away from USGI magazines nowadays even though I was heavily invested in them for a while. And I don't care for Matech's sights.

Who said it was the best? And for usgi mags, those are simply what came with the OP's colt. And what exactly is wrong with colt mags? While I don't have thousands of rounds through usgi mags myself, as I use pmags mostly. But I do know that colt mags are amongst the better usgi mags you can buy. At most slap in a magpul follewer

Magic_Salad0892
05-11-13, 21:00
For USGI magazines, my issues are this:

First off. Colt mags are good. I do like 'em.

But PMAGs work better for me because they're less slick, and less likely to drop out of my hand if my hands are sweaty or it's raining. I don't have to paint them to number them. I can get 'em cheap, or find 'em anywhere. I don't have to modify them. I like Magpul as a company more than Colt. And IIRC they're an ounce or so lighter.

Also, I think they can take repeated drops on concreate better than USGI mags. But don't quote me on that one.

Also, mag window. Way underrated.

Safetyhit
05-11-13, 21:07
Ugh. Not really.

Why would you be doing your best to make him feel like his purchase was such a poor idea? It's a fantastic weapon to say the least and way better than what 99% of us bought on the first go. Plus the KAC is hundreds more.

OP, you have a top of the line firearm there and are very fortunate to own it. Period.

OcM4
05-11-13, 21:15
^^^Thanks for the support

Airhasz
05-11-13, 21:27
^^^Thanks for the support

More support your way OP. I own a Colt M4A1 and would buy one again. You will soon forget the price and be glad you own the socom...:dirol:

Magic_Salad0892
05-11-13, 21:29
Why would you be doing your best to make him feel like his purchase was such a poor idea? It's a fantastic weapon to say the least and way better than what 99% of us bought on the first go. Plus the KAC is hundreds more.

OP, you have a top of the line firearm there and are very fortunate to own it. Period.

Oh. Derp. I didn't know he'd already bought it. I thought he was asking for buyers advice.

In that case.

If it's only one of 1500. You have two options.

Never shoot it. Hide it. Wait 10 years. Sell it for $3k and double your money.

or

Stick an Aimpoint, and a sling on it. Maybe some ambi-controls. And shoot the shit out of it.

He didn't make a bad choice at all in this case, and frankly the rarity overall may justify the price.

I apologize.

Also, doesn't this gun have a 14.5'' heavy barrel profile + CAR gas? If yes = win.

duece71
05-11-13, 21:34
I have the plain SOCOM with the KAC rail. Nice rifle, I am happy with the purchase. You will be happy when you shoot it.

steyrman13
05-11-13, 21:45
Oh. Derp. I didn't know he'd already bought it. I thought he was asking for buyers advice.

In that case.

or

Stick an Aimpoint, and a sling on it. Maybe some ambi-controls. And shoot the shit out of it.

He didn't make a bad choice at all in this case, and frankly the rarity overall may justify the price.

I apologize.

Also, doesn't this gun have a 14.5'' heavy barrel profile + CAR gas? If yes = win.

It is the heavy/socom profile with cutouts, however it is 16" barrel CAR gas. It does have ambi selector though.

Magic_Salad0892
05-11-13, 21:50
It is the heavy/socom profile with cutouts, however it is 16" barrel CAR gas. It does have ambi selector though.

Close enough. If it's gassed right, it's just as good. Contrary to the lightweight barrel craze. It's a good (great) profile barrel, that's kind of hard to find.

OcM4
05-11-13, 21:56
Magic - no apology needed. I can see why you wrote what you did as if you were guiding someone to make a buy no buy decision. It's all good.

bluejackets92fs
05-11-13, 22:06
There is a real, tangible difference between quality manufacturers and their lesser counterparts. Unfortunately your generalization doesn't apply here.

Yeah I gather that. I'm just saying that if you research the Socom you will see that the add on's will run you about as much if you added the exact setup to an out of the box 6920.

Coal Dragger
05-11-13, 22:10
I bought a Socom 2 back in December just before the panic got all wound up. I like the rifle, although if I had my druthers I would have selected a slightly lighter contour barrel. As noted by others the price difference reflects the extra equipment, not more no less.

I like the DD rail, and the Matech BUIS so for me it was worth the extra $$$. I had no idea at the time that it was a limited production run.

Magic_Salad0892
05-11-13, 22:15
Yeah I gather that. I'm just saying that if you research the Socom you will see that the add on's will run you about as much if you added the exact setup to an out of the box 6920.

If that's the case, then that makes it equivilent to the KAC SR-15, or BCM EAG offering then, huh?

Safetyhit
05-11-13, 22:39
Magic - no apology needed. I can see why you wrote what you did as if you were guiding someone to make a buy no buy decision. It's all good.

Magic is a good dude who rarely if ever gives anyone a hard time. We just have to make sure all his advanced firearm knowledge doesn't give him a big head.

:D

bluejackets92fs
05-11-13, 22:42
If that's the case, then that makes it equivilent to the KAC SR-15, or BCM EAG offering then, huh?

Not exactly but it comes close. The DD rail isn't exactly a shit rail and the sights are certainly a step up from the Magpul the 6920 comes with. I wouldn't feel bad if it was my only rifle.

Mac5.56
05-11-13, 23:03
Dude you obviously have some buyers remorse.

Take the gun out and shoot the shit out of it. Put 1000 rounds through it and watch the accessory talk to see if there is anything you want to add to it like an optic. If you decide you hate the rail you can pull it and install something else.

You bought a top tier rifle, if you over paid a few hundred bucks so what we've all done that once. But what you have is top of the line regarding the parts that matter. So get out there and shoot the shit out of it.

Koshinn
05-11-13, 23:07
Not exactly but it comes close. The DD rail isn't exactly a shit rail and the sights are certainly a step up from the Magpul the 6920 comes with. I wouldn't feel bad if it was my only rifle.

I honestly don't think the matech sights are a step up from mbus sights. They're what the military uses (and thus authentic from a collector perspective) and are metal, but it can deploy by itself under use due to wear and the range lever is prone to being accidentally moved by gear. It's also relatively high profile which limits magnified optics selection and doesn't have a dual aperture if you like that sort of thing.

30 cal slut
05-11-13, 23:46
Yes 1500 isn't very many. Also there are collectors for everything. And colt, being the name that it is definatly has a following for collectors

In at least two states now, a Colt LE 6920 is considered a collector's item. :(

Coal Dragger
05-11-13, 23:49
I honestly don't think the matech sights are a step up from mbus sights. They're what the military uses (and thus authentic from a collector perspective) and are metal, but it can deploy by itself under use due to wear and the range lever is prone to being accidentally moved by gear. It's also relatively high profile which limits magnified optics selection and doesn't have a dual aperture if you like that sort of thing.

I agree that the Matech site base is a bit tall, but overall the sight is fairly well made and useful. Is it perfect? No. Then again I have yet to see any back up sight that folds down that is perfect or even remotely close, they are all compromised in some way.

OcM4
05-12-13, 00:43
Grateful for all the insight. Surprisingly not much info out there for this particular m4. Got 50rds thru is so far with an Aimpoint pro. After the gun purchase I was pretty much tapped out and the micro was a bit pricey. Would love to find an fde elcan for it in the near future.

themighty9mm
05-12-13, 01:04
Grateful for all the insight. Surprisingly not much info out there for this particular m4. Got 50rds thru is so far with an Aimpoint pro. After the gun purchase I was pretty much tapped out and the micro was a bit pricey. Would love to find an fde elcan for it in the near future.

Did you buy the pro, or one of the micros? Not to disappoint you, but if you found the aimpoint pro to be pricey, the elcan will give you a heart attack

OcM4
05-12-13, 01:11
Got the pro.

You're right the elcan is scary expensive.

Ill wait for a used one for less.

themighty9mm
05-12-13, 01:14
Might just look into a magnifier. I myself don't see elcans come up to often.

Airhasz
05-12-13, 02:32
Got the pro.

You're right the elcan is scary expensive.

Ill wait for a used one for less.

Why do you think you need an elcan? Are you a combat soldier?

themighty9mm
05-12-13, 02:48
Why do you think you need an elcan? Are you a combat soldier?

What kind of question is that? Sounds like obama, asking why do you feel the need for an AR15.

Koshinn
05-12-13, 02:51
What kind of question is that? Sounds like obama, asking why do you feel the need for an AR15.

So what's funny is the Elcan is only 1 and 4x.. and a lot of people use it with a mini rds too. Seems like wasted potential to me.

MistWolf
05-12-13, 02:53

Rarity does not a collectible make. What makes something collectible is desirability.

OcM4, you got a good rifle

themighty9mm
05-12-13, 02:56
So what's funny is the Elcan is only 1 and 4x.. and a lot of people use it with a mini rds too. Seems like wasted potential to me.

Eh, seems like another tool in the tool box to me.

AKDoug
05-12-13, 03:05
Just click the orange search button and search "Elcan" have fun reading. There are far better options out there, especially for the money.

OcM4
05-12-13, 03:20
I want an elcan because its kewl. Isnt that a good enough explanation?

Tzintzuntzan
05-12-13, 04:02
"Cool" is not necessarily the same thing as "a good idea." The Elcan is "a bad idea." You can find a number of good magnified optics but the Spectre just is not one of them. Not everything that comes out of Crane is HSLD.

steyrman13
05-12-13, 04:12
I agree that the Matech site base is a bit tall, but overall the sight is fairly well made and useful. Is it perfect? No. Then again I have yet to see any back up sight that folds down that is perfect or even remotely close, they are all compromised in some way.

Is a KAC buis or KAC micro not?

Airhasz
05-12-13, 09:10
I want an elcan because its kewl. Isnt that a good enough explanation?

Great reason to purchase gear. You will fit in perfect on TOS...:sarcastic:

LoveAR
12-06-14, 21:57
Thread resurrection...this rifle popped up at my LGS today. Has there been a new run of these? Had the SOCOM barrel, Daniel Defense RIS, and the Matech sights. Felt pretty good to handle.

M&P15T
12-12-14, 12:42
Thread resurrection...this rifle popped up at my LGS today. Has there been a new run of these? Had the SOCOM barrel, Daniel Defense RIS, and the Matech sights. Felt pretty good to handle.

Not surprised. And BCM is still making more EAGs, and HSPs "The Jack" carbines.

If companies can sell them, they might say they're limited edition, but they really aren't.

JBecker 72
12-12-14, 12:58

I've seen this rifle for sale at 3 different local gun shops now, and Walmart, so there isn't anything rare about it. I have the same thing but mine is a BCM and it's a fantastic rifle. I would like to get a second one to be honest. This setup with a good optic and a torch is my ideal carbine. I love the FSP cutout rifles and the SOCOM barrels have proven to be great shooters in my experience.

Keith E.
12-12-14, 14:44
Its similar, but the block 2's use a DD's FDE Ris 2. If you wanted a block 2. You could have bought a basic 6920, added the correct FDE ris 2 FSP or full length, for 350. Added a sopmod stock, matech or KAC rear flip and front flip (depending on what rail you went with) a good sling such as a Vickers, and even optics mount. For roughly what you paid. Also keep in mind as soon as you shoot it, the value is going to drop. Now no matter what it will still have more value than a standard 6920, just based on parts alone.

However don't worry about the value at this point. You obviously were ok with the price and the rifle when you bought it. Either that or you are a fool with your money and have a lot more to blow than most. So either enjoy the rifle, or enjoy being considerably more rich then most. As at this point whats done is done. To get the value back you would have to find a, very much into colt's collector. So just enjoy what you have and forget about value. Just know you have a rifle that is amongst the top of the line, ready for whatever you can throw at it rifle. Take it out, shoot it. If you can afford one, take a class with it.

Don't forget the heavier barrel.

Keith

Keith E.
12-12-14, 14:48

In that case.

or

I apologize.

Already has ambi controls.

Keith

M&P15T
12-12-14, 14:48
Ooooops, wrong thread.