PDA

View Full Version : 50/200 zero with matech

dentron
05-11-13, 22:46
I am wondering about zeroing a matech buis.
All the ranges i have access to are in yards, so that makes it kinda hard to sight in the matech sight since it is designed to be sighted in at 25m. My question is can i put it on the 200m mark and sight in at 50yards and will the meter elevation marks for the sight be on?

dentron
05-11-13, 23:06
Mods: I thought I posted this in tech section. If I posted here on accident I apologise. If it was moved to this section then thank you for putting it in the right section.

AKDoug
05-11-13, 23:17
I use my Matech for a backup sight, so I sight it in at 50 yards and confirm at 200 yards with the sight set at the 200 yard setting. I don't really plan on having to use it even that far. I haven't had a chance to confirm at 300, but it makes mathematical sense that the other yardage marks should be pretty dang close if you sight the 200 yard mark in.

dentron
05-11-13, 23:21
Arent the elevation marks in meters?

AKDoug
05-11-13, 23:51
Yes, they are. I reread your original post and I now think I understand what you are asking. It is really tough to shoot accurately enough with iron sights to get a good zero at short distances and have them dead on at longer distances. If you set your Matech at 200(meters) and shoot at 50(yards) you will need to group about 1/4" low at 50 yards to get a theroetical 200 meter zero shooting. Different types of ammo and weapons can change this completely. You could then double check (the best you can at short ranges) by moving the dial to 300 meters and shooting a group at 50 yards. This group should be 1.17" above the bull.

Getting a good computer ballistic program, or something like Isnipe for an Iphone will make the conversions and calculations pretty easy to figure out. If you have access to a range that allows you to set target backers at any distance, then you can easily convert meters to yards and measure off the nearest yardage mark....or you can simply get a range finder and set it to meters.

dash1
05-12-13, 08:08
I keep a laser range finder and a tape measure in my range bag, so I can set the target where I think it needs to be. I've been to one range where the 25 meter mark was actually at 18 meters.

JSantoro
05-12-13, 10:19
Not the first guy to ask the question.

Search for the keyword "matech," limiting the search to threat titles only and to the M4/AR subforums.