PDA

View Full Version : What's the big deal about fixed front sights?

Tacti-square
05-12-13, 01:49
I know I should never choose gear based on aesthetics, but I just plain don't like the permanently fixed front BUIS look. Why are they so popular? Approximately every other gun I see in picture threads has one. I get the whole co-witnessing thing and how people use it to compensate and all that but can't that all be done with a more compact sight that you can fold out of the way/remove? Is there something important I'm missing? Is it because they're often affixed to the gas block on factory uppers? Sorry if this is a stupid question; it's hard to find information here when everything's abbreviated to the enth degree.

If you can help I'd appreciate it!

pingdork
05-12-13, 02:00
For me personally, it simply boils down to simplicity.

Airhasz
05-12-13, 02:01
The FSB is built like a rock, can be counted on to preform in combat...enough said...:dirol:

AFshirt
05-12-13, 02:23
The factory fixed front sight base is usually more reliable. Home installed gas blocks can be off center or work their way loose if not installed properly.

GunRelated
05-12-13, 03:11
While my rifles have rails and therefore the original FSB is shaved down to accommodate the rail, I still run a fixed front sight. I mainly prefer them over a flip up because of simplicity, like previously stated. It subtracts one less action required if I were to switch from optics to BUIS. That said, I do run a flip up rear sight simply because I don't want it right in my face at all times while using my optics.

wetidlerjr
05-12-13, 06:44
...Sorry if this is a stupid question; it's hard to find information here when everything's abbreviated to the enth degree. If you can help I'd appreciate it!

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=51975

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=93317

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=85919

SWThomas
05-12-13, 07:36
I run flip up front and back and they stay down. They have the name BUIS and that's what they're there for.... backup. I use the optic as my primary and will only go to the BUIS if the optic fails. And if it does, taking the optic off will consume enough time that taking two seconds to flip up my sights isn't going to matter.

Chameleox
05-12-13, 07:48
In the event that my optic goes down, I prefer iron sights with tritium inserts (at least the front one), so I opt for a fixed front sight (DD) on my patrol rifle. I haven't been able to find a folding front BUIS that uses the Trijicon front sight.

sgtrock82
05-12-13, 08:26
My primary carbine had fixed irons and RDS and the secondary carbine folding irons and acog. I prefer the fixed irons where possible for a couple reasons. One being that if for some reason I cant find my dot either due sight failure (unlikely), oversight on my end or washed out by light conditions, all I have to do is shift my head and I have sights.

This of course is worse case scenario but that's what this carbine is built for and every second I save might save me. Of course if not in immediate danger a few seconds can be taken to turn on, adjust, or even change batteries but I shouldnt plan on having the time to do so.

Others have pointed out that having the front sight visible thru your RDS gives a reference point when shooting from unusual positions and shifting your head to look at your dot thru the rear peep cleans up the dot which can help a long range shot. Some find it cluttered but Ive never felt bothered by having irons up and ready.

I recently put an vtac/alpha rail on my secondary, necessitating shaving the FSB down. It now has an MBUS front sight, which works and looks clean, but its only there because DD fixed sights have been tough to find and likely will be replaced when I get one. At worst a fixed front sight causes a shadow in the bottom of the acog's FOV.

rickmy
05-12-13, 08:41
I only run fixed front sights because all of my guns may be used for duty or defense use. When Murphy rears his head and for some reason your optic is off/battery dead(I've seen Aimpoints and Eotechs with fresh batteries die) and something really needs to be shot, you just lower your head and pick up the front sight post. You can make solid hits from 15yds in without a rear sight to reference. I never notice the fixed front sight while shooting thru my Aimpoint.

ZGXtreme
05-12-13, 08:52
Reliability and simplicity. If my optic goes down in the middle of a call, can easily use the optic as a large ghost ring and get hits with only my front sight which I don't have to worry about flipping up.

Shao
05-12-13, 11:16
In the event that my optic goes down, I prefer iron sights with tritium inserts (at least the front one), so I opt for a fixed front sight (DD) on my patrol rifle. I haven't been able to find a folding front BUIS that uses the Trijicon front sight.

Same here... Although I've found that the Meprolight post works with MBUS II front flips.

Anyway, why I run fixed front BUIS on most of my rails - less moving parts to fail = better reliability, weight, ease and quickness of use, and price.

A DD fixed front weighs less than an MBUS II front. It's always ready to go when I need it without having to go through another action (racking the charging handle/flipping it off safe, turning on a primary red dot, extending the collapsible stock, donning a sling, etc...), and I don't have to worry about banging into a door, accidentally closing it without realizing it and not having it ready for me when I need it.

While I think that the sleek profile of some folding BUIS does in fact look more aesthetically pleasing in most instances, I choose function over form any day of the week.

I think a very attractive as well as functional front fixed BUIS is the Samson model. Paired with the right setup, IMO, it really adds to the looks of the weapon and is quicker to pick up and shoot than any of my other irons-only guns. Plus it feels like it weighs less than even the DD model.

twistedcomrade
05-12-13, 11:36
I prefer a fixed FSB with a LaRue BUIS. YMMV.

pingdork
05-12-13, 12:27
Grants new DD stripped uppers with pinned lo pros are luring me away from the standard fsb. More rail options, ease of install, lo pro gb pinned by DD.

GunnutAF
05-12-13, 12:44
I have 3 AR's two have Fixed front sites one has both flip up front and back sites! :D Use what ever floats your boat! Very hard to damage the fixed front sites ! BUIS are alot easier to damage but as been said they are backups for when the optic goes south!:D

BrigandTwoFour
05-12-13, 14:38
I like the fixed sight when running a RDS, as it gives me a simple and rugged way to switch to backups in a hurry. But I have found that I really get distracted when looking through low power magnified optics and the FSB is visible in the sight picture.

So I have two ARs at the moment. The primary defensive one has the fixed FSB and a RDS. The other has folded sights and a TR24 (soon to be replaced with the new Vortex 2.5-10). Works well enough either way, its really just personal preference. A lot of guys do just fine with scopes and fixed FSB

TehLlama
05-12-13, 14:57
For the carbines I use a fixed front sight on, I'm using a micro Aimpoint on it, and if that sight goes down I want to have some sort of sighting mechanism already in place, even if it's just the caveman rear aperture of the AP Micro and the fixed front sight, it's good enough at short range.

Couple that with the lower cost and extreme durability, if the application makes sense (i.e. you're already running a reflex/holographic 1x sight and can cowitness the electronic and iron sights) then they're the most logical option.

JusticeM4
05-14-13, 22:11
All of the AR's I've used with fixed A-post front sight have been rock-solid and reliable. Optics are great and can improve your sight system, but a good knowledge and skill of using iron sights is a great starting point for any rifleman. To do that you need good irons .

easyv
05-15-13, 07:43
Why are they so popular?

Let's see here :
because they WORK
because there are no moving parts (aside from the front sight post)
because they are firmly and permanantly attached to the weapon

K-I-S-S, what's so bad about that?

skijunkie55
05-15-13, 11:18
Let's see here :
because they WORK
because there are no moving parts (aside from the front sight post)
because they are firmly and permanantly attached to the weapon

K-I-S-S, what's so bad about that?

because they don't look tacti-cool... :suicide:

shadenfreude
05-15-13, 19:52
I personally can't stand a front sight sticking up into the middle of my rds view - maybe if I tried a lower 1/3 co - witness I could tolerate it, til then love my gg&g flip ups. But I am not in a combat zone or Leo.

MiamiCracker
05-15-13, 20:16
For me the standard FSP is more accurate than flip up sights.

jaxman7
05-15-13, 20:39
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=128755

DiveFlyFun
05-16-13, 14:58
FSB are better attached and less chance of being moved when knocked/dropped. So, reliability and accuracy.

TF82
05-17-13, 03:24
FSB are better attached and less chance of being moved when knocked/dropped. So, reliability and accuracy.

This, plus it was free.

shadenfreude, if you want to run a fixed front sight post with an absolute cowitness and find the post distracting you may want to try running a fixed rear as well.

Full disclosure, compared to most here I'm a total newb on this platform and I realize this is mostly a training issue, but the carbine I'm assigned at work has a fixed front and folding rear with an Eotech and I often find the post a bit distracting. On my personal carbine I have a chopped carry handle and Eotech. I find that set up encourages me to look over the sights to utilize the red dot and eliminates the front post from the equation entirely. I chose that solely because I wanted to invest in ammo instead of folding sights and I've been pleasently surprised to find that I prefer it. Plus, if anything happens to the Eotech or I don't have time to turn it on, my sights are ready to go with zero manipulation.

Endur
05-17-13, 04:25
You really can't go wrong with either as long as your flip sights are from a good manufacture. I have a good amount of trust in flip sights as we had KAC rear flips when I was in the Army and our rifles took a beating and my zero was always good, though it was only a flip rear. Fixed do offer some more reliability to flip sights as a less chance of knocking off your zero when bumped hard. You also don't have to worry about a FSP coming loose nearly as much as a flip sight (even if properly loc-tited). Me - I prefer flips. I plan to get a T-1 with a LT660 so I have 1/3 cowitness that way I can keep my sights up if need be.

Troy has tritium front and frear folding sights.

http://troyind.com/%20/back-up-iron-sights/folding/front-folding-black-fde/troy-battlesight-front-tritium-m4-folding
http://troyind.com/%20/back-up-iron-sights/folding/rear-folding-black-fde/troy-battlesight-rear-tritium-folding