phase 5 tactical winter trigger guard
magpul grip
asap sling plate
magpu ms3 sling
geissele super dynamic enhanced trigger
magpul afg
gun duracoated magpul fde
surefire m953v in tan

This is my first build im debating on a ambi charging handle either the bcm gunfighter or the raptor what do you guys think?

Also debating on a comp looking at the battle comp any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated .Also im running pistol tube til i get a stamp.

Grip
05-13-13, 09:04
Ditch the magpul buis for troy battle sights.

Maybe a Aimpoint T1 instead?

Battlecomp is good.

Ryno12
05-13-13, 09:18
I have Gunfighters on all of my rifles however, on my last build, I used a Raptor. I'm very quickly becoming a big fan of it. If you plan to go full ambi, I'd get a Raptor.

Sent via Tapatalk

ASH556
05-13-13, 09:24
Is this also your first AR or just your first "build?" Are you aware of NFA laws and what is required to run a barrel less than 16" and the potential issues you may have getting it to run? You've got a lot of specialized aftermarket shit on there. How much experience do you have running an AR that tells you you need all of it?

jaxman7
05-13-13, 18:39
Is this also your first AR or just your first "build?" Are you aware of NFA laws and what is required to run a barrel less than 16" and the potential issues you may have getting it to run? You've got a lot of specialized aftermarket shit on there. How much experience do you have running an AR that tells you you need all of it?

Yep. If I had only one gun-especially just starting-I'd get a basic 16 incher.

No reason to ditch the MBUS. They're fine. Don't get too fancy at first.

-Jax

Achilles11B
05-13-13, 22:52
What kind of stock are you running?

urmaker45
05-14-13, 09:06
I have 10 years of law enforcement experience 4 on srt team and yes im aware of laws of running a sbr and pistol ar right now im gonna run it as a pistol with a phase 5 pistol buffer tube til i decide if I want to sbr it or not. No this is not my first ar I have always just bought complete rifles never custom just trying to build a fairly high end rig and would like more experienced builders opinion. I have heard really good things about the raptor just trying to constitute the extra 30 bucks for it compared to a gunfighter. For now im gonna leave the magpul the troys would be nice just thats alot of doe to shell out for back up irons once I get it to the point I want it I might go back and buy them. For now I like the aimpoint pro I have thought about getting a t-1 i might do that later and give this one to my wife's gun. what do you guys think of the ms3 slings thats what I was gonna put on it because i like the 2 point capability.

ASH556
05-14-13, 09:45
So far here is the list

daniel defense mk18 10.3 upper with full auto bcg ris II rail Good
magpul flip ups Meh, I'd rather have Troys or KAC's, but okay.
aimpoint pro Good optic. The micro's are nicer on the smaller/lighter MK18, but the PRO isn't a bad optic. I would upgrade the mount to a Larue if I were you.
seekings precision forged lower
badass ambi safety
phase 5 tactical bolt catch Not Necessary and a potential reliability issue.
phase 5 tactical winter trigger guard
magpul grip
asap sling plate
magpu ms3 sling Avoid, this, the clips fail and your weapon will drop. Go with a quality adjustable 2-point (Vickers VCAS)
geissele super dynamic enhanced trigger
magpul afg
gun duracoated magpul fde spend this money on better sights insted
surefire m953v in tan Heavy and outdated technology. Do you have a need for an IR illuminator? A 6PX or a Fury in a Gear Sector or Haley Thorntail mount would be a better light with less weight for less money.

This is my first build im debating on a ambi charging handle either the bcm gunfighter or the raptor what do you guys think?

Also debating on a comp looking at the battle comp any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated .Also im running pistol tube til i get a stamp.

Okay, based on your last post, answers in red above.

urmaker45
05-14-13, 10:12
Ill check out the vickers sling thnks and yeah I have nvgs through the department so the ir was a need I wanted in a low light situation sometimes nvgs aren't enough and the ir capability was nice but I did not know a 500 dollar light was outdated? I duracoated the rifle myself so it was only cost in material. How is the phase 5 tactical bolt release a reliability issue I figured it was a better option compared to the bolt on style by magpul it seems made nice and functions fine now?And thnks for the other imput.

ASH556
05-14-13, 10:30
Ill check out the vickers sling thnks and yeah I have nvgs through the department so the ir was a need I wanted in a low light situation sometimes nvgs aren't enough and the ir capability was nice but I did not know a 500 dollar light was outdated? I duracoated the rifle myself so it was only cost in material. How is the phase 5 tactical bolt release a reliability issue I figured it was a better option compared to the bolt on style by magpul it seems made nice and functions fine now?And thnks for the other imput.

There have been multiple documented instances (though all the ones I know of were Magpul levers) where basically the weight of the lever is too much for the bolt catch spring and you would get bolts auto-forwarding. I don't think reloads are that difficult with the ergonomics of the AR as it was designed, but if it works for you, go for it, especially if you've already spent the money.

Sagara09
05-14-13, 14:07
I am running the Troy BUIS on my AR and I love it. It feels more durable than the Magpul. I dont own a Magpul BUIS, but a friend has one on his Sig M400 and I got the notion that I could break it. For me, the Troy gives me peace of mind that it can take a beating. Thats just my opinion though.

doc_awesome
05-15-13, 16:06
Here's an article where they did drop tests on different buis and magpul came out on top. Just an fyi for people saying to go with troy's.

http://kitup.military.com/2012/07/back-up-iron-sight-drop-test.html

Also, check out Griffin comps. They are less expensive than the Battlecomps and some people have tested them side by side and found them better. I really like the Griffin comp I have but have not compared it to the battlecomp

Moltke
05-15-13, 16:31
I say you add AMMO

drice2
05-16-13, 16:51
definately go with the troy battle sights.

Redbeardsong
05-16-13, 17:05
I would wait on the Geissele trigger (SD enhanced on a pistol?), durakoting and BAD lever and put that money toward either a T-1 or a tax stamp and better sights. The PRO is an outstanding optic and value, but it's a little big on a pistol or SBR build.

Also, I much prefer the padded Blue Force Gear Vickers slings with a Daniel Defense or Noveske QD receiver endplate to the Magpul MS3 and ASAP. If you want to run it single-point, use their Burnsed QD 2-1point adaptor, or their UDC padded QD bungee 1-point sling.

Magpul sights are fine, but I prefer Troys...and buying once, rather than upgrading later.

urmaker45
05-26-13, 16:47
Im duracoating the whole gun fde what do you guys think its hard to paint such a expensive weapon but i think it will be awesome.

Hmac
05-26-13, 17:13
As backup sights, the Magpul MBUS is fine unless money is no object. Replacing the MBUS wouldn't be (isn't) my priority running a quality optic like the PRO.

Personally, I don't like hooks on my slings...prefer QD buttons. In that regard, consider a Noveske or DD QD socket endplate and use QD buttons on your slings. NOT a fan of the MS2 or MS3 slings. Padded VTAC is a great sling. With the QD endplate, you can still run a sling with hooks...just put an empty swivel in it.

I have a Rainier Raptor on one of my rifles the rest are standard Gunfighters. The Raptor is a great charging handle. I can't speak to the BCM ambi.

Col_Crocs
05-26-13, 17:22
Im duracoating the whole gun fde what do you guys think its hard to paint such a expensive weapon but i think it will be awesome.

So I assume youre proceeding with the SBR build?;)
Duracoat will work just fine. It's not as "permanent" as cerakote and norrells which i think is a good thing should you later change your mind. I personally prefer a simple rattle can paint job. Easy to do and easy to re-do.

urmaker45
05-27-13, 10:13
Shew it's hard for me to rattle can a daniel defense lol but I have been thinking about using a sponge

pingdork
05-27-13, 10:27
Shew it's hard for me to rattle can a daniel defense lol but I have been thinking about using a sponge

Just do it. The first times a bitch, but once you pop your cherry, you'll want to krylon everything.

Hemoglobin
05-27-13, 10:28
I thought about doing gunkote before I rattle canned one of my builds. Now that I'm parting out some things and removing some paint... the rattle can stuff sticks on better than a lot of people give it credit. I'll be rattle can painting my sbr as well. Easy on, easy touch up.

I had a Pro in a lt129 on my 14.5 and when I built my 11.5 I decided on a micro. The pro is awesome but there's just something off about that larger optic on the smaller package. Of course thats very subjective and the pro will function perfectly fine. In fact some people prefer the wider tube. Check out both.

jerrysimons
05-27-13, 10:52
Buy this

http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=20013

add the attachments you want and call it a day (plus you save yourself the headach of engraving your lower). You would be buying a complete DD MK18 upper anyway way and most the stuff listed are simply accessories or easily swapped attachments. The Geissele trigger is stupid easy to install since it comes assembled on slave pins and the DD rifle already has a QD end plate.

_Stormin_
05-27-13, 11:31
The above is Out Of Stock. Doesn't do the OP a lot of good to wait on a part to build a rifle when it may not be available for quite some time.

I am running the PRO and Magpul sights on one of my rifles, and I can't say enough good about the combo. The Magpul sights are durable and hold their zero. (The drop test link listed is a great testament. Six feet onto the sights multiple times and the Magpul sights held while every other sight in the test failed.)

Haven't painted a rifle yet, but I'm sure that I won't be able to resist for long. Be sure to post pics when you've got it finished.

jerrysimons
05-27-13, 11:49
The complete factory registered sbr was in stock when I posted, or so I thought. I would still wait to find one and go that route.

Grant also has the complete upper at a good price
http://www.gandrtactical.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=8014