PDA

View Full Version : Hog hunting.... With a knife!

ffchewy17
05-12-13, 18:40
A new thread on hog hunting with knives. At the request of LittleLebowski I thought I would put some info out there about pig hunting with dogs and knives. I have the privilege go being able to hunt on 24,000 private acres on the east coast of Florida near Viera Florida. Its a mixed grounds of pine flats, swamp, scrub flats and pasture land. We usually hunt from 9pm to 4 am, cool nights are the best for the dogs. We run 1 tracking dog ( blue tick hound) and 2 catch dogs ( black mouth cur brother 65lbs and sister 50lbs).

Florida is rampant with feral pigs and can be hunted year round on private land. A normal night consists of going to a section around 100 to 200 acres and letting the dogs out of the truck, we use GPS collars to track the dogs. When the tracking dog gets a scent he will start barking initially, this lets the catch dogs know to get on his ass and start following. The catch dogs will then follow and corner the pigs, hopefully. The dogs then bay the pig, letting us know they caught a pig. We then run to there location through swamp, pine trees, more swamp and eventually locate the caught pig. It's imperative to get to the dogs fast before they get hurt or killed.

Once we locate the pig we grab the hog by the back legs and a second "knife guy" steps up and stabs the pig behind the shoulder, about 1/3 to 1/2 the way between the spine and the belly. This should hit the lungs and heart. Thus all takes place with 3 dogs barking, one hunter hanging on to the pig trying not to get slashed by the pig and in the middle of night, with mosquitoes.

Me and the dog owner are very particular on who carries a side arm on our hunts. Don't shoot the dogs or people, simple rules. We actually use a milk jug tied to a rope, them pull the milk jug towards a shooter to get used to shooting an object that closes with you faster than you can run or move. There is a picture of me on Off The Grid concepts holsters Facebook page with a pig we killed. I always carry a G17 x300U with reanger bonded 147gr. No problems putting down charging pigs that got away from the dogs.

A word on pig size, I like to call the 125-180lbs pigs the most dangerous of any pigs we run across. They are faster than the 200-300lbs pigs and way more athletic. There teeth tend to be straighter and pointer allowing way more damage to be done with the teeth on flesh. These are the most challenging pigs to kill in tight quarters, think scrub palm and mud. Pigs remind me of miniature buffalo, they are all neck, head, and front shoulder. A 125 lbs pig will run a 200 lbs man over, and bury him in the ground. I have killed a 300+ lbs pig with a knife and the smaller ones are way more mean and dangerous... Just my 2 cents.

There is tons more info and gear if you have any other questions.

Littlelebowski
05-12-13, 19:02
We gotta hang out :D

Thanks for posting, man.

Devildawg2531
05-12-13, 19:59
[QUOTE=ffchewy17;1641583]A new thread on hog hunting with knives. At the request of LittleLebowski I thought I would put some info out there about pig hunting with dogs and knives. I have the privilege go being able to hunt on 24,000 private acres on the east coast of Florida near Viera Florida. Its a mixed grounds of pine flats, swamp, scrub flats and pasture land. We usually hunt from 9pm to 4 am, cool nights are the best for the dogs. We run 1 tracking dog ( blue tick hound) and 2 catch dogs ( black mouth cur brother 65lbs and sister 50lbs).

QUOTE]

That is cool stuff. What type of knife are you using for hogs? Aren't American Bulldogs and Pitbulls normally used as catch dogs?

Ready.Fire.Aim
05-12-13, 21:04
This is a popular way to kill them in my area in Tx. Dogs hold them, hunter kills them with a knife. There is a 75 year old man that sits across from me in church that still loves to hunt pigs with his dogs and a homemade short stabbing spear

ffchewy17
05-12-13, 21:18
Thanks for all the interest and kind words, any other questions just ask.

I have been using a glock field knife, no spine saw. It works great, ideally you want a 7-9 inch blade, no wider than 1 1/8, sharpened spine, cross guard, no slip handle. Cheap is good too :D the guy I hunt with uses a Klein tools duct knife with a kydex sheath I made for horizontal carry at 11 o'clock, like a really large Tracker Dan Bloodshark position. I own a bunch of custom knives, but none of them really meet the above requirements. I also worried about losing a $400.00 knife when your running through the woods, made the glock knife seem perfect.

It's kinda a funny because I have been making knives for over 10 years and just recently started on my own personnel "Hog Knife", have to go out and crank up the forge and get to hammering.
I seem to sell all the knives I make, can't keep one when I see the cash :

On a side note I have to give LittleLebowski credit for turning me on too Dark Star kydex AIWB holsters. Awesome holsters for EDC G19.

ffchewy17
05-12-13, 21:27
About the Pit Bulls for catch dogs..... We had an friend bring out a 2 year old pit to act as a catch dog and were we hunt we share many pastures with cattle, well this pit ran after a hog through a pasture and mid way across changed course for a calf, he latched on to the calfs nose an crushed her upper jaw, then she would not release. We ended up having to put down the pit and the calf due to the sever damage the pit did to the calf. The pit wouldn't release even after we shot the calf and became very aggressive towards the handler and other cows.

I'm a huge dog lover and am in no way bashing pits or American bulldogs, I just like how well the curs catch and obey the handler. These dogs are amazing to watch work and can run 15-20 miles In a night in the Florida summer. Very impressive to me.

The curs hit the pigs like a baseball bat, running full tilt and latching onto there snout or bottom lip. It's very impressive to watch a 60lbs dog anchor a 200lbs pig.

LHS
05-13-13, 00:15
I recall reading something by Peter Capstick some years back about Argentine gauchos hunting pigs with dogs and a knife. Seems like a pretty hairy pastime.

Littlelebowski
05-13-13, 04:43
I'd be on this like white on rice if I lived closer.

SkyPup
05-13-13, 06:57
The noise of the hogs squealing and the dogs snarling in addition to the frogs and crickets croaking and chirping is unbelievable, verbal communication is next to impossible, but the adrenaline level is SKY-HIGH!!!:D

kry226
05-13-13, 07:35
Done a bunch of that in Texas too, but with other guys' dogs. But there's always the boredom and frustration that goes with the fun chaos. Sometimes the hogs are few (or none), and your dogs are a mile and a half off. You get to go track them down (even with GPS) and sometimes it takes all night...with no hogs to show for it. :suicide:

TacCommE21
05-13-13, 10:25
How long does it take the pigs to die?

Moltke
05-13-13, 10:43
Doing that in the dark, in a swamp, with a wild feral pig ... with a knife ...

You know they have these things called guns right? :) And spotlights.

ffchewy17
05-13-13, 12:16
The hogs are usually out of the fight in 2 min, then another 1-2 min to fully bleed out.

On a side note its made me really good at sutures for the dogs ;)

The dogs recover really fast and we use 3M vet bond to help with the cuts also.

TacCommE21
05-13-13, 13:01
The hogs are usually out of the fight in 2 min, then another 1-2 min to fully bleed out.

On a side note its made me really good at sutures for the dogs ;)

The dogs recover really fast and we use 3M vet bond to help with the cuts also.

I'm sure it is some kind of tradition or whatever, but I just can't see letting the animal suffer like that. Same with the current thread in GD about hunting hogs from a chopper. Looks more like a free for all and little guarantee of a clean kill, though there was some impressive shooting.

Thanks for the reply. I was just curious. I have been a hunter most of my life. This type of hunting is just not my cup of tea.

1_click_off
05-13-13, 20:11
I'm sure it is some kind of tradition or whatever, but I just can't see letting the animal suffer like that. Same with the current thread in GD about hunting hogs from a chopper. Looks more like a free for all and little guarantee of a clean kill, though there was some impressive shooting.

Thanks for the reply. I was just curious. I have been a hunter most of my life. This type of hunting is just not my cup of tea.

If I could choose, I would much rather be stabbed than shot! Pinch in the side and a slow fade rather than my chest explode and fade faster.

ryan
05-13-13, 20:23

They die in seconds, more pain from the pit's bite.

LMT Shooter
05-14-13, 02:34
I've been going to South Carolina hog hunting for 3 years now & we do some of our hunting with dogs & knives. My only kill with a knife was the most thrilling hunting moment of my life, no question. The pigs expire VERY quickly when stabbed in the heart, I personally do not see a difference between a well placed blade and a well placed bullet in the speed with which the pig dies. The level of trauma to the heart from either means a quick death, which is a humane death.

Skypup, you are right, the sounds at night when the dogs get on a hog are otherworldly, it reminds me of a scene from Predator with Arnold Schwartzenneger. It is a mad minute for sure and must be experienced firsthand to be understood. Pigs squeeling, dogs barking, people yelling and you can barely hear anyone talk.

Sidenote, the guys who own the dogs "rescue" a lot of them from the local dogpounds.

Dave James
05-14-13, 07:27
The guys I went with for a couple of years used "Dogos" as catch dogs, most we took where the 150-175lb class, JP took a couple that did push the 275 mark and like the OP posted where easier then the small ones, as long as you got the legs quick

pic is of the knife I used, was made in Argentina, for me by a gentleman down there , that makes several a year for the hog hunters down that way

Littlelebowski
05-14-13, 07:33

How long does it take your meat you buy from the supermarket to die? Would you prefer your meat have a miserable life in a feed lot or at least have a chance in the wild, living free?

ffchewy17
05-14-13, 09:53
I can understand the hesitancy on many to knife an animal due to the chance of it causing prolonged suffering, I had the same feeling prior to my first hunt. But after experiencing it first hand I personally feel that it's a progression that most hunters take, from hunting a deer or other large animal from a long range, to closer stalking of said game, to muzzle loaders, then bow hunting, and finally to a close in fight were you as the hunter have no necessary advantage. It boils down to to animals (hunter and pig) in a fight for there lives, both subjects are armed with the same tools, a knife vs tooth/tusk, and you as a human have a distinct strength disadvantage.

I think it gives the pig the ultimate chance to survive, escape, or injure the hunter. That is the fairest form of hunting I have ever experienced.

The pigs are aggressive animals, more so than any deer, dove,duck, or squirrel I've ever encountered; I have yet to fear for my life sitting in a duck blind, but in a swamp in the middle of night with the pig snorting and crashing through the palmettos, you can see dogs flying a couple feet through the air from being tossed realizing your about to fight a 175lbs muscle bound pig with 3inch knives for teeth who is pissed of at your for even being in his domain, that's fair hunting in my opinion.

Littlelebowski
05-14-13, 09:55
I think it gives the pig the ultimate chance to survive, escape, or injure the hunter. That is the fairest form of hunting I have ever experienced.

Exactly what I was trying to say.

ffchewy17
05-14-13, 09:56
Just a heads up too, we usually hunt 3-4 times a month and killed over 200+ pigs last year.

These animals are considered nuisance animals and they bread faster than we can control the population in Florida.

TacCommE21
05-14-13, 10:08
How long does it take your meat you buy from the supermarket to die? Would you prefer your meat have a miserable life in a feed lot or at least have a chance in the wild, living free?

How did I know it was going to be you that was going to say this? I was just waiting for it! :p

I didn't mean to go all PETA or anything. I have no illusions about from where some of my food comes. I was curious and I find it interesting that the answers to my question were so varied.

It is certainly a primal way to hunt, with the odds stacked as evenly as possible. Make no mistake, the pigs can and do win sometimes.

My personal opinions aside, this thread provided a little education as perhaps it was intended.

Sorry if I derailed the thread.

Littlelebowski
05-14-13, 10:10
No worries, dude.

WillBrink
05-14-13, 10:14
I can understand the hesitancy on many to knife an animal due to the chance of it causing prolonged suffering, I had the same feeling prior to my first hunt. But after experiencing it first hand I personally feel that it's a progression that most hunters take, from hunting a deer or other large animal from a long range, to closer stalking of said game, to muzzle loaders, then bow hunting, and finally to a close in fight were you as the hunter have no necessary advantage. It boils down to to animals (hunter and pig) in a fight for there lives, both subjects are armed with the same tools, a knife vs tooth/tusk, and you as a human have a distinct strength disadvantage.

The pigs are aggressive animals, more so than any deer, dove,duck, or squirrel I've ever encountered; I have yet to fear for my life sitting in a duck blind, but in a swamp in the middle of night with the pig snorting and crashing through the palmettos, you can see dogs flying a couple feet through the air from being tossed realizing your about to fight a 175lbs muscle bound pig with 3inch knives for teeth who is pissed of at your for even being in his domain, that's fair hunting in my opinion.

Minus the loincloth, it's primal as it gets it sounds. Not sure it would be my cup O tea, but I have no doubts it must be quite the A dump, and taps into a very base part of our brain.

What's next, Kodiak and box cutter? :D

ffchewy17
05-14-13, 11:50
TacCommE21, I didn't take it any way other than a question concerning a form of hunting, glad you asked and in know way a thread derail.

I don't want other hunters to thank I hunt this way because I am some blood thirsty Rambo wannabe, it's the complete opposite. I enjoy it the most because I get to experience a form of nature that is very far removed from modern life. Plus watching the dogs work and the enjoyment they get from the hunt is more rewarding than the actual kill.

Most of the time the newest hunters are the ones doing the knife work and I control the dogs or the pig.

TacCommE21
05-14-13, 23:09
TacCommE21, I didn't take it any way other than a question concerning a form of hunting, glad you asked and in know way a thread derail.

I don't want other hunters to thank I hunt this way because I am some blood thirsty Rambo wannabe, it's the complete opposite. I enjoy it the most because I get to experience a form of nature that is very far removed from modern life. Plus watching the dogs work and the enjoyment they get from the hunt is more rewarding than the actual kill.

Most of the time the newest hunters are the ones doing the knife work and I control the dogs or the pig.

I appreciate you taking the time to provide details. Be safe out there!

LMT Shooter
05-18-13, 04:21

The guys I have hunted with take 6 or so dogs out with us. Once we get a hog, everyone has to step up & help with the dogs, they really get excited when they are on top of a hog.

Littlelebowski
05-18-13, 06:04
I really want to do this someday.....

Campbell
05-18-13, 10:40
There was a group right across the state line in North Carolina, that offered this about 20 years ago. The dogs they used were Plott hounds mixed with bulldogs, and they were very good at their job. He had a contract that if the dogs anchored the pig and you got cold feet- you ponied up any vet bills for your cowardice...I thought that was awesome.

Pigs were scarce back then, and his business didn't last. Now the Smoky Mts are being ruined by them...

OP- this is true hunting in my opinion...when you put your own flesh and blood on the line, not to mention your dogs, its hard to be more sporting than that.

LMT Shooter
05-18-13, 21:59
I really want to do this someday.....

There is absolutely nothing anyone can say that will adequately describe this experience for you until you have it for yourself. Probably like combat (although I know nothing about that myself) until you're BTDT, you gotta be there to know.

Pick187
05-19-13, 09:24
I have hunted pigs with every thing from bows to crossbows and pistols to rifles. Haven't had the interest to try my luck with a knife, but this thread has me interested.

pig
05-19-13, 10:36
Ffchevy, I have been hunting pigs with dogs since before it became cool. I see a few descrepancies in what you posted.

-bulldogs are a must, no cur or even 3/4 bulldog will catch everything.
-dont send a bulldog in a cow pasture. Period.
-you have to break a bulldog off of a caught animal with the use of a break stick or the choke off method. NONE OF MINE WILL RELEASE EVEN A DEAD ANIMAL
-basicly it is your fault the calf and dog were needlesly killed, and it is rookies that do stupid stuff like this that give the rest of us a bad name.
-If you stick your knife in a pigs heart and give it a little jiggle, he will drop like you hit him with a hammer
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss61/pigsnatcher1/IMG_20130126_105024.jpg
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss61/pigsnatcher1/ResizedImage_1367948170034.jpg
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss61/pigsnatcher1/1331487453925.jpg
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss61/pigsnatcher1/IMG_20111120_122203.jpg
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss61/pigsnatcher1/Resampled952012-06-259522-37-4795192.jpg
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss61/pigsnatcher1/01210926419504.jpg

ffchewy17
05-19-13, 10:46
You do it your way, I'll do it mine. As any hunter can tell you there are no absolutes in any type of hunting. I see you hunt from a quad, we prefer a more physical approach of running. I'm guessing you have never hunted in Florida, almost every piece of private large acreage land is cow pasture.

ffchewy17
05-19-13, 10:54
PIg;
Nice hogs BTW, I'll be bowing out of this thread.

pig
05-19-13, 10:56
The thing is, I hunt around livestock a good bit and have never had to kill a cow or dog because of it. I do use a 4- wheeler,'you can walk, ride a horse, or a boat, swam buggy, what ever the terrain calls for. I have spent plenty of time in Florida, know all about it. The point is it doesn't take minutes for a pig to die, and a responsible hunter doesn't kill livestock or kill a dog because they don't know how to handle it. Makes us all look bad. Not picking a Internet fight, just saying.

Vash1023
05-19-13, 14:45
it makes me proud to see hunters using knife and dogs instead of high powered rifles on animals that would normally tear them to shreads.
(think native americans with spears killing bears)

ive always hated trophy hunting and most of the vaginas that do it.

fat, out of shape, asshats with enough money to buy a rifle does not qualify as hunting to me.

keep up the good work :)

TXBK
05-19-13, 14:49
Ffchevy, I have been hunting pigs with dogs since before it became cool. I see a few descrepancies in what you posted.

-bulldogs are a must, no cur or even 3/4 bulldog will catch everything.
-dont send a bulldog in a cow pasture. Period.
-you have to break a bulldog off of a caught animal with the use of a break stick or the choke off method. NONE OF MINE WILL RELEASE EVEN A DEAD ANIMAL
-basicly it is your fault the calf and dog were needlesly killed, and it is rookies that do stupid stuff like this that give the rest of us a bad name.
-If you stick your knife in a pigs heart and give it a little jiggle, he will drop like you hit him with a hammer

Not all of these statements are 100% accurate. Bulldogs are not a "must". Plenty of hogs have been caught with good bay dogs only. Not all bulldogs will come off hogs and go to cattle, and not all bulldogs require break sticks or choking to get them to release a catch. It all depends on the dogs and how the dogs are handled and/or trained. You will not catch everything everytime, no matter what kind of dog is hunting with you.

This statement is 100% accurate.

pig
05-19-13, 19:03
You got me there. Bulldogs really aren't a must. I guess what I was trying to say was that most curs aren't 100% catch dogs. Meaning most will back down at some point and bay.
The breaking a bulldog off statement was meant more as, you don't kill a dog because it won't come off on its own. Personally I don't trust a bulldog that will come off on its own, this is a widespread feeling around here and elsewhere best I can tell..
The whole cow catching and dog killing thing really just hit a nerve with me.

williejc
05-22-13, 15:14
I know folks in Central Texas who hunt feral hogs using hounds for tracking. Pits are the catch dogs and require a break stick to free them from the hog. It's not been stated here, but one reason for using a pit catch dog is that the monetary value of a pit is much less than a Catahoula hound or one of the black mouth cur dogs. No person will argue that the pit is not a master at this game.

Up until about 1970, in the deep South and Southwest, in prison organizations, the fugitive was tracked by hounds and if on the ground was caught by a pit or pit mix catch dog. In such cases a smaller dog worked well.

rdbse
05-22-13, 18:45
A guy at work was just telling me about this. His brother hunts hogs with dogs (mixed breed pits I believe). Once the dogs lock down on the pig, they pull knife and slit throat.

To me, it is more pure than rifle or bow hunting.

pig
05-22-13, 21:28
I know folks in Central Texas who hunt feral hogs using hounds for tracking. Pits are the catch dogs and require a break stick to free them from the hog. It's not been stated here, but one reason for using a pit catch dog is that the monetary value of a pit is much less than a Catahoula hound or one of the black mouth cur dogs. No person will argue that the pit is not a master at this game.

Up until about 1970, in the deep South and Southwest, in prison organizations, the fugitive was tracked by hounds and if on the ground was caught by a pit or pit mix catch dog. In such cases a smaller dog worked well.

I read a good article about some prison dogs a good while back. Was very interesting. They used BMc and a few other breeds at that prison. Wish I could find it again to share.

Allaround
07-09-13, 19:08
It's my favorite way to hunt pigs.

Make no mistake about it, It's dangerous but that's what makes it fun. Anything you survive is an adventure.

jmnielsen
07-09-13, 19:28
Awesome battle scars!

Allaround
07-09-13, 21:23
Awesome battle scars!

Not mine thank God. Haven't been hurt..............yet.

pig
07-12-13, 08:05
Not mine thank God. Haven't been hurt..............yet.

It's coming, we all got it coming. Lol

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss61/pigsnatcher1/536.jpg

I got this poke a few years ago. Just me being clumsy. Sucker jabbed his tusk in my joint and chipped off a peace of bone. Was like getting hut in the funny bone with a hammer.lol. My old buddy found it quite amusing.

Allaround
07-12-13, 17:59
It's coming, we all got it coming. Lol

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss61/pigsnatcher1/536.jpg

I got this poke a few years ago. Just me being clumsy. Sucker jabbed his tusk in my joint and chipped off a peace of bone. Was like getting hut in the funny bone with a hammer.lol. My old buddy found it quite amusing.

Very fortunate.

Nothing like a little support from your buddy. :)

DTakas
07-12-13, 20:11
- - - - -