PDA

View Full Version : FAST Holster

SWThomas
05-12-13, 21:20
Anyone use one of these? I saw it on an episode of "The Best Defense" and thought it was pretty cool. It's a great way to keep my HD gun high and away from where my child could reach it and easily accessible if I need to grab it in the middle of the night. It's made with rare earth magnets and keeps a solid grip on the pistol.

Edit: The location of this item is inside my bedroom closet. The pistol is only mounted here when I retire to the bedroom for the evening. During the day when I'm not home it stays in my Browning safe. My daughter is 8 and has had a healthy respect for firearms instilled in her by two strict USMC parents. My wife (and now you guys) are the only folks who know of this mount.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n308/SWThomas/FASTHolster.jpeg (http://s115.photobucket.com/user/SWThomas/media/FASTHolster.jpeg.html)

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n308/SWThomas/FASTHolster1.jpeg (http://s115.photobucket.com/user/SWThomas/media/FASTHolster1.jpeg.html)

Abraxas
05-12-13, 21:27
Interesting. I see some possible merit to this.

Redhat
05-12-13, 21:51
When it comes to kids, never underestimate their ability to improvise, adapt and overcome.

I prefer the "out of sight out of mind" approach and use a combo access lock box of some type.

Guns-up.50
05-12-13, 21:54
Novel,

My only fear would be it dropping free and back into the hands of the child. That why my kids are not really allowd in my room..

Hmac
05-12-13, 22:28
I wonder how that would work on a polymer frame pistol with a stainless steel slide.

D. Christopher
05-12-13, 22:41
That installation might be fine in a home like mine with no children. But in a home with a child, as soon as they are able to move a chair that is a tragedy waiting to happen. I don't care what the law says, if there is even the possibility of a child in the home then weapons have to be positively locked up or secured at all times. That doesn't have to mean an authorized user can't get to it in a hurry.

straterman
05-12-13, 22:45
Hmac that is a poly gun with a steel slide in the photo. Its a xdm im pretty sure

JimmyB62
05-12-13, 23:14
I agree with the others. A child with a chair and a broomstick, or a piece of twine with a weight on the end. Ect, ect. Kids are too clever and curious to trust this type of device.

SWThomas
05-12-13, 23:29
Sorry fellas, I should have posted this in the OP. I only stick it to this mount when I retire to the bedroom for the evening. From about 0600-1900 it lives in my Browning safe.

Mac5.56
05-13-13, 00:11
Sorry fellas, I should have posted this in the OP. I only stick it to this mount when I retire to the bedroom for the evening. From about 0600-1900 it lives in my Browning safe.

So I'm not going to get into how I feel about this in relationship to children, if I think having a loaded gun in the house, blah, blah, blah...

Let's talk about your choice. I have no idea who you are, what your training is, why you feel you need this weapon accessible while you sleep. But here is what I see:

1. A gun (probably loaded in condition 1) hanging from a high powered magnet by a door jam. I am going to assume this door functions as both an entrance and exit from the room.

2. A gun that is placed in open site.

3. A gun that is placed within an environment that anyone aware of the home will have knowledge of.

4. A gun placed in what I assume is a doorway entering the users bedroom, meaning the gun is place in-between the entrance to the room and the owner himself? Is this the case? Can this gun be as easily accessed by a third party as the intended user?

5. As installed I see an accident waiting to happen for anyone other then a highly trained, highly paranoid individual who never sleeps, lives completely alone, owns an electronic security alarm, cages on the windows, and has taken the time to install three deadbolts on all exterior doors.

MistWolf
05-13-13, 01:42
It will magnetize the weapon and it will start attracting little iron filings. They will be very frustrating to remove from the pistol until it's degaussed

SWThomas
05-13-13, 06:13
So I'm not going to get into how I feel about this in relationship to children, if I think having a loaded gun in the house, blah, blah, blah...

Let's talk about your choice. I have no idea who you are, what your training is, why you feel you need this weapon accessible while you sleep. But here is what I see:

1. A gun (probably loaded in condition 1) hanging from a high powered magnet by a door jam. I am going to assume this door functions as both an entrance and exit from the room.

3. A gun that is placed within an environment that anyone aware of the home will have knowledge of.

4. A gun placed in what I assume is a doorway entering the users bedroom, meaning the gun is place in-between the entrance to the room and the owner himself? Is this the case? Can this gun be as easily accessed by a third party as the intended user?

5. As installed I see an accident waiting to happen for anyone other then a highly trained, highly paranoid individual who never sleeps, lives completely alone, owns an electronic security alarm, cages on the windows, and has taken the time to install three deadbolts on all exterior doors.

That's a lot of assumptions. I really should have been more specific in my OP.

1. No, the door you see is a closet door right next to the bed. Way closer to me than it is to the main door for the room. The gun is mounted inside the closet.

2. I wouldn't call it open site. You can't see it unless you walk into the closet.

3. The daughter doesn't know I keep it there. Neither does anyone else besides my wife. And like I said a few posts ago, I only keep it there in the evenings.

4. See number 1.

5. I don't see what accident could occur. This is no worse (actually better) than keeping it on a nightstand or under the bed.

Thanks for your critique though.

SWThomas
05-13-13, 06:15
It will magnetize the weapon and it will start attracting little iron filings. They will be very frustrating to remove from the pistol until it's degaussed

Interesting. I never thought of that. So it will remain magnetized even when it's removed from the magnet? I'm not worried about it collecting iron filings in my bedroom closet, but it might if the pistol remains magnetized once it's removed from the magnet.

Sparky5019
05-13-13, 07:05
We play "who can rack the slide on the Glock"...once they can get it back to chamber a round, then I'll change access solutions (I keep the chamber empty).

But...my kids know guns!

Just sayin'.

Sparky

Sam
05-13-13, 08:17

He said it's placed in his bedroom closet, only when he retires to the bedroom in the evening. During the day, the gun lives in his safe.

Read his post.

Hmac
05-13-13, 08:37
It's not an unattractive idea, I'm just a little hinckey about the magnet relative to security and the possibility of magnetizing the slide and various steel parts. I could see mounting a kydex holster upside down on the inside of a closet door though.

Mac5.56
05-13-13, 08:49
He said it's placed in his bedroom closet, only when he retires to the bedroom in the evening. During the day, the gun lives in his safe.

Read his post.

I saw the day time safe thing. I missed the mention of the closet.

I had questions about what I saw, and he answered them. I think the thing is interesting if deployed correctly.

skydivr
05-13-13, 10:14
We play "who can rack the slide on the Glock"...once they can get it back to chamber a round, then I'll change access solutions (I keep the chamber empty).

But...my kids know guns!

Just sayin'.

Sparky

This is where I am. Once my daughter can achieve this, I am going to have to rethink some of my storage/access solutions.

MistWolf
05-13-13, 10:45
I discovered, while growing up, that gun-proofing the child (teaching them responsibility and age appropriate firearms handling) is far more important than child-proofing the firearms

Interesting. I never thought of that. So it will remain magnetized even when it's removed from the magnet? I'm not worried about it collecting iron filings in my bedroom closet, but it might if the pistol remains magnetized once it's removed from the magnet.

A rare earth magnet is pretty powerful. Any ferrous material that is in long contact with a magnet will eventually become magnetized. (In fact, all materials have some magnetism, most just not enough to matter.) I can tell you from experience that it's amazing the places you can pick up iron filings

Ryno12
05-13-13, 11:05
Personally, I'd skip the magnet idea. If your gonna mount anything to a wall, why not just a simple, cheap holster? I'd also place it out of sight, like behind clothes... just in case.

Sent via Tapatalk

Mac5.56
05-13-13, 13:58
I discovered, while growing up, that gun-proofing the child (teaching them responsibility and age appropriate firearms handling) is far more important than child-proofing the firearms

I agree with this completely. That was the case in my life. Me and all of my friends were crawling around firearms in unlocked cabinets. My father bought his first gun safe three months ago, and it was because "I like safes and always wanted one for me stuff." Not to keep the guns out of people's hands...

But, you can't always account for the training of other children, and children can do stupid shit no matter what. That is why I advocate an out of sight out of mind mentality.

TAZ
05-13-13, 15:29
I like to keep a gun near by when sleeping and am not comfy with leaving it on the night stand. Currently I use a Wilderness Safe packer. Biggest concern for me was having the trigger covered.

Aside from the whole magnetize the gun and internals, my biggest issue with the system is that it doesn't cover the trigger. An out of the way closet or behind a nightstand isn't a bad idea. I'd just buy a decent retention holster and mount that to the wall.

SWThomas
05-13-13, 19:40
Thanks for the input fellas. This is by no means a permanent solution for my HD set up. It was relatively inexpensive and I thought I'd try it out.