PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know who makes this BCG?

Obscenejesster
05-12-13, 21:38
My local forums (mdshooters) has Joe Bob's Outfitters as one of their industry partners and Joe Bob himself is pretty active there. He offers the members there who have a certain number of posts good deals on hard to find parts. He has been setting aside about 1,000 BCG's every time he gets them in. About 2 months ago I purchased a enhanced M16 BCG with a phosphate finish for $150 from him and it has been flawless. It looks great and works great.

A couple days ago, he got some more BCG's in. They are the same as the last batch in regards to having the McFarland Gas Rings and the KNS Perma pin only this time they have a NiB finish. I've never used a NiB BCG so I decided to order one for $200 shipped.

I got it in today and it looks just as good as the phosphate BCG I got from him. I am just wondering if anyone can tell me who exactly is making these for him. I know he said he got a order of about 2,000 filled and he placed it in early January.

Here is the link for the info and I'll also post some pictures for identification purposes.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/JoeBobOutfitters_Enhanced_Nickel_Boron_Complete_Bo_p/jb-nibbcg-mds.htm

http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae266/jrwingate6/20130512_220345_zps2234db66.jpg
http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae266/jrwingate6/20130512_220808_zps06e124fd.jpg
http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae266/jrwingate6/20130512_220602_zps7600cc47.jpg
http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae266/jrwingate6/20130512_220736_zpse9a1b76c.jpg
http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae266/jrwingate6/20130512_221105_zpsfe60ffb8.jpg

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

SeriousStudent
05-12-13, 23:12
Honestly, this is not a smart-ass remark. But did you ask Joe Bob?

One of the forum rules is to contact the vendor when you have a problem/issue/curious situation.

If he tells you, great. If he refuses to "reveal his sources", then police normally refer to things like that as a "clue". Why not ask the gent?

I'm glad you found a BCG, and I hope it works well for you.

liverup
05-12-13, 23:42
My local forums (mdshooters) has Joe Bob's Outfitters as one of their industry partners and Joe Bob himself is pretty active there. He offers the members there who have a certain number of posts good deals on hard to find parts. He has been setting aside about 1,000 BCG's every time he gets them in. About 2 months ago I purchased a enhanced M16 BCG with a phosphate finish for $150 from him and it has been flawless. It looks great and works great.

A couple days ago, he got some more BCG's in. They are the same as the last batch in regards to having the McFarland Gas Rings and the KNS Perma pin only this time they have a NiB finish. I've never used a NiB BCG so I decided to order one for $200 shipped.

I got it in today and it looks just as good as the phosphate BCG I got from him. I am just wondering if anyone can tell me who exactly is making these for him. I know he said he got a order of about 2,000 filled and he placed it in early January.

Here is the link for the info and I'll also post some pictures for identification purposes.

http://www.joeboboutfitters.com/JoeBobOutfitters_Enhanced_Nickel_Boron_Complete_Bo_p/jb-nibbcg-mds.htm

http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae266/jrwingate6/20130512_220345_zps2234db66.jpg
http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae266/jrwingate6/20130512_220808_zps06e124fd.jpg
http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae266/jrwingate6/20130512_220602_zps7600cc47.jpg
http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae266/jrwingate6/20130512_220736_zpse9a1b76c.jpg
http://i978.photobucket.com/albums/ae266/jrwingate6/20130512_221105_zpsfe60ffb8.jpg

Looks like an RRO unit. Wow those are the absolute best!!

Iraqgunz
05-13-13, 00:08
Are my eyes deceiving me or is there some type of media in the area where the YFS screws are?

Obscenejesster
05-13-13, 00:21
Are my eyes deceiving me or is there some type of media in the area where the YFS screws are?

Funny you say that because I asked him this. I haven't received an answer back from him yet but another mschinest on my local forum said it looks they added material to the outside of the bolt that can be used to catch the stake so they wouldn't have to stake as deep into the actual screw.

polymorpheous
05-13-13, 01:03
Looks like an RRO unit. Wow those are the absolute best!!

Who?
Quantify what makes RRO the absolute best.

liverup
05-13-13, 05:57
Who?

Red Rock Ordinance only makes the worlds best bolt carrier groups, everyone knows that its common knowledge.:suicide:

T2C
05-13-13, 06:48

All I can see are what looks like the edges of star washers under the bolt carrier gas key screws. Is that what you are talking about?

Sparky5019
05-13-13, 07:13

That's funny! I thought that just before I read your post!

I was going to say it looked "polished" (might be where the media comes in) which could be ok or it could to cover up something...I ave not seen the NiB up close.

It says MPI (even thought the deep stamp kind of bugs me in a part like that).

Like to hear how it goes!

Sparky

Obscenejesster
05-13-13, 13:12
Red Rock Ordinance only makes the worlds best bolt carrier groups, everyone knows that its common knowledge.:suicide:

Isn't Red Rock Ordinance the company who promised NiB BCG's for $180? They took money up front 3 months ago and still haven't released a product.

C4IGrant
05-13-13, 13:16

Looks like it. My guess is that they blast them (or something) so they are not shiny and that is what we are seeing.

C4

Obscenejesster
Here is what Joe Bob said about the BCG.

Regarding the MPI mark on the bolt - "The bolts are INDIVIDUALLY MPI tested, engraved, and shot peened. The engraving on the bolts is done prior to MPI testing to ensure the testing isn't compromised. "

Regarding the Tumbling Media - "Gas keys are torqued, permatexed and staked prior to coating. The small flakes in the gas key bolts we believe to be a little bit of slag from the coating process.

The same can be found in WMD BCGs. We do not believe it is blasting media, but it could be some of the polishing media? BCG's are polished after coating."

1911-A1
All I can see are what looks like the edges of star washers under the bolt carrier gas key screws. Is that what you are talking about?

The objects are not spaced evenly from one another, and their sizes are inconsistent. That does not indicate a star washer.

VIP3R 237
05-13-13, 13:18
Who?

That was also my question.

Grand58742
05-13-13, 14:01
That was also my question.

I believe the poster was adding quite a bit of facetiousness and sarcasm into his post which unfortunately didn't transfer well into the internet medium.

Vaporware is a term associated with those BCGs. Another term used quite often is Ponzi scheme...

Obscenejesster
05-13-13, 14:26
The objects are not spaced evenly from one another, and their sizes are inconsistent. That does not indicate a star washer.

Joe Bob said they believe the flakes inside the gas key bolts is slag from the coating process.

I just stuck something small inside of the space this slag is sitting in. I was able to remove it with little to no force at all. Could anyone see this "slag" causing a problem?

joeboboutfitters
05-13-13, 17:24
Funny you say that because I asked him this. I haven't received an answer back from him yet but another mschinest on my local forum said it looks they added material to the outside of the bolt that can be used to catch the stake so they wouldn't have to stake as deep into the actual screw.

You posted this same exact question/pictures on 3 different forums at approx 11PM yesterday (Less than a day ago). You did not email or PM us regarding it, so that bit of information could be a bit misleading, IMO.....

He was probably suggesting it would be best to ask a company about their product PRIOR to asking the general public for the most accurate information.

We do not have any affiliations with RRO except for poking fun at their shenanigans.

Obscenejesster
05-13-13, 18:05
You posted this same exact question/pictures on 3 different forums at approx 11PM yesterday (Less than a day ago). You did not email or PM us regarding it, so that bit of information could be a bit misleading, IMO.....

He was probably suggesting it would be best to ask a company about their product PRIOR to asking the general public for the most accurate information.

We do not have any affiliations with RRO except for poking fun at their shenanigans.

So, will the media around the screw pose any problems? It was loose enough for some of it to be removed but some of it still remains. I don't know if it's capable of working itself loose when firing my rifle and work itself into places I would rather not have fragments rolling around.

I do not like asking private questions. I'd rather ask them on an open forum where others can chime in and keep the answers honest. If you or anyone else thinks this media or the screws could cause problems then I suppose I'll try and return it. If the general census is that everything is perfectly fine then I'll keep it and use it.

When it comes to the screws being made in Taiwan I really don't understand why people care. They are screws. I could care less where they were made as long as they work.

Last question. Do all of the NiB BCG's you recently acquired have this media wedged around the screw. The fact that the manufacturer didn't take the time to remove it kind of worries me.

Ryno12
05-13-13, 18:16
Dude, big deal. Just clean it out. Why would you shoot it with that stuff in anyway?

Sent via Tapatalk

Obscenejesster
05-13-13, 18:27
Dude, big deal. Just clean it out. Why would you shoot it with that stuff in anyway?

Sent via Tapatalk

I can't get it all out with a pick. I would rather not remove the screws since I do not have the means to torque them to spec and stake them.

I probably would have shot my rifle with that in there hadn't I posted pictures and it was pointed out by someone else. Lastly, I shouldn't need to worry about cleaning media out on a $200 BCG.

Do you have any suggestions on how I should get this stuff out of there?

Ryno12
05-13-13, 18:37
Try compressed air &/or anything thin, like feeler gauges or shim stock.

Sent via Tapatalk

joeboboutfitters
05-13-13, 22:18
I can't get it all out with a pick. I would rather not remove the screws since I do not have the means to torque them to spec and stake them.

I probably would have shot my rifle with that in there hadn't I posted pictures and it was pointed out by someone else. Lastly, I shouldn't need to worry about cleaning media out on a $200 BCG.

Do you have any suggestions on how I should get this stuff out of there?

We'd be more than happy to take the BCG back if it doesn't tickle your fancy.

Blow it out, or shoot it out. It won't hurt anything. If it does cause damage, I'll give you a free Daniel Defense rifle or equivalent rifle.

You're making the minute issue larger than it really needs to be, IMO. Walnut media or a tiny spec of NiB isn't going to cause a battle rifle to explode or hurt anything. Many products come straight from the manufacturer with assembly grease, oil, small burrs that shoot out of gas tube holes in barrels, scratches on the shell deflector due to test firing, dirty chambers due to test firing, etc. There's a range of "acceptable" conditions for a new product.

Like I said in one of your other 2 forum posts: The WMD BCGs we have floating around are brand new with the same exact "stuff" around the screws. The spike's NiB BCG's do not, but it looks like they NiB coat the gas key & carrier separate and then assemble them after the fact. They are also not as polished, typically.

_Stormin_
05-13-13, 22:29
The above is pretty much a huge vote of confidence and would leave me supremely confident that there is nothing to worry about.

And YFS screws are a common and high quality part. They aren't American, but I don't put that as an end on when I am looking at fasteners.

Obscenejesster
05-13-13, 22:44
We'd be more than happy to take the BCG back if it doesn't tickle your fancy.

Blow it out, or shoot it out. It won't hurt anything. If it does cause damage, I'll give you a free Daniel Defense rifle or equivalent rifle.

You're making the minute issue larger than it really needs to be, IMO. Walnut media or a tiny spec of NiB isn't going to cause a battle rifle to explode or hurt anything. Many products come straight from the manufacturer with assembly grease, oil, small burrs that shoot out of gas tube holes in barrels, scratches on the shell deflector due to test firing, dirty chambers due to test firing, etc. There's a range of "acceptable" conditions for a new product.

Like I said in one of your other 2 forum posts: The WMD BCGs we have floating around are brand new with the same exact "stuff" around the screws. The spike's NiB BCG's do not, but it looks like they NiB coat the gas key & carrier separate and then assemble them after the fact. They are also not as polished, typically.

Thank you for the response. Please understand I did not create these posts to point out any issues and as you can see, others pointed out the fragments around the screws and the screws them selves. I didn't even notice anything prior to it being pointed out.

Sorry if I sound like a complainer but I didn't know how serious the issue was. I figured it was serious if it was that much of an issue that it needed to be pointed out by others. If you say it's not a issue then I'll take your word for it and just drop it in my rifle.

texasgunhand
05-16-13, 16:42
If thats walnut media it wont hurt, blow it out with an air comp. You clean it after you shoot it,so it shouldnt hurt...