PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to confirm BCG manufacturer?

pyzik
05-13-13, 09:08
I found what seems to be a deal on a BCM upper on a mega lower in a configuration that I like.

The guy says the whole upper is BCM but has been painted and the BCG has been NiB treated. Which would mean that all the "BCM" logos will be hidden.

I am supposed to look at tomorrow, is there anything I can look for?

Zane1844
05-13-13, 09:58
Tell him to remove the paint on the right side of upper , the BCM logo is right by the charging handle. You do not have to remove that much paint either. Just look up BCM uppers and you will see where the logo is.

Ask if it is hammer forged. If he says yes, then look on the barrel markings BCM uses "BFH" it is also on the upper, but paint would have to be removed again.

As for the BCG, if it is new, it should have a cage number.

pyzik
05-13-13, 10:06
Tell him to remove the paint on the right side of upper , the BCM logo is right by the charging handle. You do not have to remove that much paint either. Just look up BCM uppers and you will see where the logo is.

Ask if it is hammer forged. If he says yes, then look on the barrel markings BCM uses "BFH" it is also on the upper, but paint would have to be removed again.

As for the BCG, if it is new, it should have a cage number.

Thanks! I knew of the markings on the upper that are in white.
I didn't know if scraping at the paint to see these would scrape off the white as well.

I'll look at the BCG as well. What is BCM's "cage number"? A quick google turned up that BCM no longer marks BCGs other than "BCM" but some slip through with an "F" machined in...

Again, thank you for your help!

Zane1844
05-13-13, 10:13
On two BCG's I got recently, one before the Great Panic, and one during with my upper. The "cage code" or what have you, is this:

342x6

Also maybe scraping off could remove the white of the BCM logo, however, on both my painted uppers, the BCM logo is still visible. It seems laser etched in, though I do not know how they do it.

pyzik
05-13-13, 10:18
On two BCG's I got recently, one before the Great Panic, and one during with my upper. The "cage code" or what have you, is this:

342x6

Also maybe scraping off could remove the white of the BCM logo, however, on both my painted uppers, the BCM logo is still visible. It seems laser etched in, though I do not know how they do it.

Awesome! Thanks for the info.
I have pics but I can't make out the markings in the pics, hence why I want to see it in person.
Ugh, wish I could go look at it today. :D

Zane1844
05-13-13, 10:38
Keep in mind the code will not be on every BCM BCG. On a older one I got last Sep. does not have it.

pyzik
05-13-13, 10:46
Keep in mind the code will not be on every BCM BCG. On a older one I got last Sep. does not have it.

Gotchya. I have a feeling this is a little bit older rifle. Just sent him a message regarding age.

pyzik
05-13-13, 11:26
Turns out I know the smith that NiB'd the BGC so I am gonna ask him if he remembers doing it and that it was indeed BCM.

Seller assures that "BCM" is visible through the paint.

Sounds like if it looks good and I can verify the BCG I'll have a new rifle tomorrow.

Thanks a ton for your help.

DreadPirateMoyer
05-13-13, 11:55
BCM should indeed be visible through the paint on the upper. I've got quite a few rifles that I cerakoted post-purchase, and all of them show the original white paint through the cerakote (though it's a different color now). It's hard to describe, but it's a cool effect.

pyzik
05-13-13, 12:24
BCM should indeed be visible through the paint on the upper. I've got quite a few rifles that I cerakoted post-purchase, and all of them show the original white paint through the cerakote (though it's a different color now). It's hard to describe, but it's a cool effect.

Yeah, I'm glad the guy said you can see it through the paint.
Can't wait to look at (and hopefully pick it up).

pyzik
05-14-13, 12:58
Update...

I got a hold of the smith that NiB'd the BCG and he said it is a BCM.
Looks like I'll grab it today. Can't wait to get outa work...
Minus the scope

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx300/thatguy423/image_zps6e1a8ac3.jpg

rocketman
05-14-13, 14:33
FWIW I have several BCM bolt carrier groups purchased directly from BCM. Some came with uppers and some I just bought by themselves. All were purchased before the cage code.

I bought bolt carriers from BCM during the last "shortage" and they didn't even have the BCM logo etched on them. I later added BCM bolts etc as they came back in stock.

A few months later I played hell trying to convince a buyer that I was selling him a BCM upper that contained a real BCM bolt carrier group.

I think I still have at least one completely "unmarked" (no cage code and no etching) BCM bolt carrier group. If I ever sell another BCM upper it won't include an unmarked BCG. Too much hassle......;)

pyzik
05-14-13, 14:47
FWIW I have several BCM bolt carrier groups purchased directly from BCM. Some came with uppers and some I just bought by themselves. All were purchased before the cage code.

I bought bolt carriers from BCM during the last "shortage" and they didn't even have the BCM logo etched on them. I later added BCM bolts etc as they came back in stock.

A few months later I played hell trying to convince a buyer that I was selling him a BCM upper that contained a real BCM bolt carrier group.

I think I still have at least one completely "unmarked" (no cage code and no etching) BCM bolt carrier group. If I ever sell another BCM upper it won't include an unmarked BCG. Too much hassle......;)

I hear ya. I gave this guy a bit of a hassle :rolleyes:

Zane1844
05-14-13, 14:50
I am glad it worked out for you.

And I am sure the seller knows there are some people who look to rip people off by selling "BCM" or whatever product, and it really is something else.

rocketman
05-15-13, 18:42
I hear ya. I gave this guy a bit of a hassle :rolleyes:

The good news is that it's nice to hear people asking the right questions

pyzik
05-15-13, 20:28
The good news is that it's nice to hear people asking the right questions

Ha, a grand isn't something I get to drop often so I want to make sure I'm spending my money wisely.

I read and read for quite a while before making my decision.