PDA

View Full Version : I am hooked on dumb bells!

brickboy240
05-13-13, 11:00
Anybody else feel like dumb bells are the most versatile piece of workout equipment?

I recently added on to my collection of dumb bells and bought a better bench. I swear....I think I can do everything I want to do with mostly working out with dumb bells (...and my few kettle bells).

dumb bell bench presses
dumb bell military presses
flys
renegade rows
hammer curls
tricep kickbacks
skull crushers
calf raises
shrugs
dumb bell swings
goblet squats
rows
...the list goes on

but I can do 45 minute to 1 hour sessions with my dumb bells and feel completely sweaty and spent! LOL

I still do cardio a few times a week...mostly the elliptical or ride my bike.

Since I am not really going for body building (too old for that at age 47) and I mainly want to increase strength, gain tone and burn fat (I am not really "fat" but don't want to get that way) I really think I can get a decent workout with just this simple set up.

Anybody else feel like dumb bells are the most versatile pieces of equipment? I am really digging the dumb bells.

theblackknight
05-13-13, 14:02
Str8 bar.

The big 3 all done with one.

sent from mah gun,using my sights

Ironman8
05-13-13, 14:16
I'll take dumbell over barbell any day. Works your stabilizer muscles more and are definitely more versatile. You're on the right track. Mix in some bodyweight (pushups, pullups, and dips) and you're good to go.

Only two of the "big three" I would do with a bar...which is only because of a limitation on grip strength. And I have very good grip strength, but my legs will win that battle every time ;)

brickboy240
05-13-13, 15:37
I have also noticed that with the dumb bells...you cannot "cheat" like you can with the barbell. You end up working each side with equal weight.

Transitioning from one to another exercise is also easy and quick.

The rack of bells does not take up much room, either.

This is what I wanted: a system that was serious but not expensive, complicated or taking up room I don't have. Also something I can adjust and change as I progress forward.

...very versatile...works for me.

RONK
05-14-13, 06:39
I use them,mine are junky spin on collars,could anyone please suggest some better quality ones?Thanks.

scooter22
05-14-13, 07:44
+1 for dumbells. I have a set of the variable Bowflex dumbells. I use those, a pull-up bar and push-ups (plus cardio, etc.).

Ironman8
05-14-13, 07:59
I use them,mine are junky spin on collars,could anyone please suggest some better quality ones?Thanks.

Go to any fitness equipment store and look around. You're going to pay about $1 per pound, maybe more for the rubberized ones, but dumbells are pretty bombproof regardless of brand. The one's with the old school spin on collars may be more versatile since you can add weight and have different combinations though...the Bowflex one's that were mentioned are decent, but don't go high enough for bench IMO...

JW5219
05-14-13, 09:54
Go to any fitness equipment store and look around. You're going to pay about $1 per pound, maybe more for the rubberized ones, but dumbells are pretty bombproof regardless of brand. The one's with the old school spin on collars may be more versatile since you can add weight and have different combinations though...the Bowflex one's that were mentioned are decent, but don't go high enough for bench IMO...

You might also check your local craigslist for some used ones at a good price. They pop up here regularly anyway.

brickboy240
05-14-13, 10:48
Yep...check Craigs List.

I got my set of hex shaped dumb bells from there and paid a measly 65 bucks for the whole set! I got 2 each of 20, 25, 30, 35 and 40lb bells. Bought a 25, 30 and 35lb kettle bell set from another seller for 50 bucks. All were in like new condition.

(don't laugh...I am a beginner and these work well enough for starts)

I also got the bench at a used sports store in our city for 60 bucks.

That is a lot of versatile equipment for well under 200 bucks.

-brickboy240

Vash1023
05-14-13, 11:12
dumb bells are by far the best.

(and you can do any of the "big 3" with dumb bells)

Ironman8
05-14-13, 11:17
Didn't even think about Craigslist...very true! I'd start there.

Awesome1228
05-14-13, 14:45
Dumbells are awesome. As other posters have said, there are some great advantages. I have had a set of the old school Weider spin collar type for 18 years. I have added plates over the years for a little more versatility, but they have served me quite well.

Dumbells do have some limitations though. For my needs (which may be different from yours) I cannot load them heavily enough for some of the lifts I like to do. I would have to purchase larger bells and more weight. So for me, a good Olympic bar and weights is a must.

My opinion is that if you are getting a good workout and seeing the gains that you are looking for (whether those gains be in speed, weight loss, endurance, strength, whatever) then you must be doing something right.

Smash
05-14-13, 15:21
For me I'd be happier with an Olympic bar 2x45lb plates 2x25lb plates. I could do curls bench squat and everything else with that setup. I would need a much larger range of DBs to get done what I need to.

theblackknight
05-14-13, 21:48
dumb bells are by far the best.

(and you can do any of the "big 3" with dumb bells)

Most gyms dont have anything over 200 if that for dumbells, so once you're deading 400+, what do?

I like dumbells for press and bi's, but those are tiny muscles in relation.

crazymoose
05-15-13, 02:00
Some company sells a large dumbbell that takes olympic weights. 45's are usually too big for a decent ROM, but you can pile on the 25's for a great row. Pricey, though, as I recall.

scooter22
05-15-13, 08:55
I would advise against the Bowflex dumbells I mentioned earlier.

I literally broke one tonight...:suicide:

FWIW, I have used "the Block" before, and I think I like it more. At least it's more robust.

dp13
05-15-13, 11:03
If you like dumbbells, try adding kettle bells in the mix.

In my experience they give you more functional strength because of how the weight hangs instead of being nicely and evenly distributed.

ex. Right now I curl 50lb dumbbells for 3s x 10r and a forth set of whatever I can muster. After two sets of kettle bells @50 I'm already thinking I've done enough for today lol

brickboy240
05-16-13, 10:58
I have a 30 and 35lb kettle bell.

Right now...my shoulders are sore as hell from doing HIIT kettle bell swings last night.

Yes...big fan of the kettle bell, too! Swings, twists, get-ups...all good.

-brickboy240

Ironman8
05-16-13, 11:01

Right now...my shoulders are sore as hell from doing HIIT kettle bell swings last night.

-brickboy240

HIIT Kettle Bells?

I've heard of circuit training with weights, but I'm not sure HIIT can be used to describe that...

See: https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=128954

Not to say that you didn't get a good workout or anything...much better than my skipping of last night's workout :(

dp13
05-16-13, 15:15

-brickboy240

Good stuff, if you haven't already try curling them like I said. They can make your biceps scream for mercy.

edit: At the weight you curl with on dumb bells.