PDA

View Full Version : Philadelphia Abortion Doc Gosnell Found Guilty of Murder (x3)

jpmuscle
05-13-13, 16:38
Well its a small sliver of justice being served... Although with everything else happening in the media this week this will probably fly under the radar, which is sad.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/13/jury-split-on-2-counts-in-trial-abortion-doctor-kermit-gosnell/

A Philadelphia doctor was found guilty Monday of murdering three babies born alive in an abortion clinic, Fox News confirms. He was acquitted in the fourth baby's death, and found guilty of involuntary manslaughter in the overdose death of an adult patient.

Dr. Kermit Gosnell, 72, was convicted of first-degree murder and could face execution in the deaths of three babies who authorities say were delivered alive and then killed with scissors at his grimy clinic, in a case that became a flashpoint in the nation's debate over abortion.

Gosnell was cleared in the death of a fourth baby, who prosecutors say let out a soft whimper before he snipped its neck.

Gosnell was also found guilty of involuntary manslaughter in the drug-overdose death of a patient who had undergone an abortion.

Gosnell appeared hopeful before the verdict and calm afterward; jurors and lawyers on both sides were more emotional.

The jury will return Tuesday to hear evidence on whether Gosnell should get the death penalty.

Jack McMahon, Gosnell's attorney, described the doctor as "disappointed" and "upset" over the verdict but said the defense team respected the jury's ruling.

"They obviously took their job seriously," McMahon said of the jury. "The verdict should be respected based on their effort."

Former clinic employees testified that Gosnell routinely performed illegal late-term abortions past Pennsylvania's 24-week limit, that he delivered babies who were still moving, whimpering or breathing, and that he and his assistants "snipped" the newborns' spines, as he referred to it.

"Are you human?" prosecutor Ed Cameron snarled during closing arguments as Gosnell sat calmly at the defense table. "To med these women up and stick knives in the backs of babies?"

The grisly details came out more than two years ago during an investigation of prescription drug trafficking at Gosnell's clinic in an impoverished section of West Philadelphia.

Authorities said the clinic was a foul-smelling "house of horrors" with bags and bottles of stored fetuses, including jars of severed feet, along with bloodstained furniture, dirty medical instruments, and cats roaming the premises.

Pennsylvania authorities had failed to conduct routine inspections of all of its abortion clinics for 15 years by the time Gosnell's facility was raided and closed down. In the scandal's aftermath, two top state health department officials were fired, and Pennsylvania imposed tougher rules for clinics.

Four former clinic employees have pleaded guilty to murder and four more to other charges. They include Gosnell's wife, Pearl, a cosmetologist who helped perform abortions.

Both sides of the abortion divide seized on the case. Abortion foes said it exposed the true nature of abortion in all its disturbing detail. Abortion rights activists warned that Gosnell's rogue practice foreshadows what poor and desperate young women could face if abortion is driven underground with more restrictive laws.

Midway through the six-week trial, anti-abortion activists accused the mainstream media of ignoring the case because it reflected badly on the abortion rights cause. Major news organizations denied the allegation, though a number promptly sent reporters to cover the trial.

After prosecutors rested their case, Common Pleas Judge Jeffrey Minehart threw out for lack of evidence three of seven murder counts involving aborted fetuses. That left the jury to weigh charges involving fetuses identified as Baby A, Baby C, Baby D and Baby E.

Prosecution experts said one was nearly 30 weeks along when it was aborted, and it was so big that Gosnell allegedly joked it could "walk to the bus." A second fetus was said to be alive for some 20 minutes before a clinic worker snipped its neck. A third was born in a toilet and was moving before another clinic employee grabbed it and severed its spinal cord, according to testimony. Baby E let out a soft whimper before Gosnell cut its neck, the jury was told; Gosnell was acquitted in that baby's death.

Gosnell's attorney, Jack McMahon, argued that none of the fetuses was born alive and that any movements were posthumous twitching or spasms.

He also contended that the 2009 death of 41-year-old Karnamaya Mongar of Woodbridge, Va., a Bhutanese immigrant who had been given repeated doses of Demerol and other powerful drugs to sedate her and induce labor, was caused by unforeseen complications.

Gosnell did not testify, and his lawyer called no witnesses in his defense. But McMahon argued that the doctor provided desperate young woman with "a solution to their problems," and he branded prosecutors "elitist" and "racist" for pursuing his client, who is black and whose patients were mostly poor minorities.

"We know why he was targeted," McMahon said.

Prosecutors described Gosnell's employees as nearly as desperate as the patients. Some had little or no medical training, and at least one was a teenager still in high school. One woman needed the work to support her children after her husband's murder.

Stephen Massof, an unlicensed medical school graduate who could not find a residency, told jurors that Gosnell taught him how to snip babies' spines, something he then did at least 100 times at the clinic.

"I felt like a fireman in hell," Massof testified. "I couldn't put out all the fires."

Gosnell still faces federal drug charges. Authorities said that he ranked third in the state for OxyContin prescriptions and that he left blank prescription pads at his office and let staff members make them out to cash-paying patients.

He performed thousands of abortions over a 30-year career. Authorities said the medical practice alone netted him about $1.8 million a year, much of it in cash. Authorities found $250,000 hidden in a bedroom when they searched his house. Gosnell also owned a beach home and several rental properties.

"He created an assembly line with no regard for these women whatsoever," Cameron said. "And he made money doing that."

Planned Parenthood applauded the verdict on Monday, saying in a statement that "The jury has punished Kermit Gosnell for his appalling crimes."

"This verdict will ensure that no woman is victimized by Kermit Gosnell ever again," said Planned Parenthood spokesman Eric Ferrero. "This case has made clear that we must have and enforce laws that protect access to safe and legal abortion, and we must reject misguided laws that would limit women's options and force them to seek treatment from criminals like Kermit Gosnell."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/13/jury-split-on-2-counts-in-trial-abortion-doctor-kermit-gosnell/#ixzz2TD9PxpP3

KTR03
05-13-13, 16:53
Watch the pro life and pro choice spin machines start up...

Doc Safari
05-13-13, 17:23
I don't care what the political rhetoric is: if you think delivering a baby alive and then killing it is legitimate birth control then you are depraved.

kwelz
05-13-13, 19:00
Watch the pro life and pro choice spin machines start up...

Doubtful. This has never been a Pro Life vs. Pro Choice issue. This guy was reviled by both sides of the fence.

SteyrAUG
05-13-13, 19:05
Ironically enough he is facing the "death penalty."

Voodoo_Man
05-13-13, 19:10
Excellent.

Moose-Knuckle
05-13-13, 19:12
He has over 400 charges against him. I'm glad to see that he was found guilty of at least the 3 first degree murders. The defense stated today that they would not appeal if he gets life. I hope the DA goes for death on the three murders.

DocHolliday01
05-13-13, 19:47
The only fitting punishment for this piece of shit is to cut his ****ing neck with scissors..

jpmuscle
05-13-13, 19:54
The only fitting punishment for this piece of shit is to cut his ****ing neck with scissors..

Especially those dull safety bastards we all had as kids that couldn't cut play-doh. :dirol:

sjc3081
05-13-13, 20:00
What a evil bastard.

a0cake
05-13-13, 20:03
Doubtful. This has never been a Pro Life vs. Pro Choice issue. This guy was reviled by both sides of the fence.

Yeah. I actually know of one quazi-defender on the pro-choice side of the house though. She also happens to be a key witness in the Bradley Manning case. :eek:

You've got to wonder about her judgement.

TAZ
05-13-13, 20:19
I don't care what the political rhetoric is: if you think delivering a baby alive and then killing it is legitimate birth control then you are depraved.

This^^^. I consider myself to be pro choice, but would be willing to choose the scissors used on this piece of shit excuse for a medical professional.

You have to be pretty far off your rocker to consider what he did abortion. His actions aren't that far away from lining people up by the ditches and calling it a day.

brushy bill
05-13-13, 21:05
This^^^. I consider myself to be pro choice, but would be willing to choose the scissors used on this piece of shit excuse for a medical professional.

You have to be pretty far off your rocker to consider what he did abortion. His actions aren't that far away from lining people up by the ditches and calling it a day.

Being that you're pro choice, would it have been okay if he'd have killed the babies same day of procedure before they came outside the womb?

jpmuscle
05-13-13, 21:11
Being that you're pro choice, would it have been okay if he'd have killed the babies same day of procedure before they came outside the womb?

or at 24 weeks (which would be legal) compared to 29 weeks which is what he did on one occasion.... because that changes anything.... :rolleyes:

PA PATRIOT
05-13-13, 21:19
Ironically enough he is facing the "death penalty."

He has over 400 charges against him. I'm glad to see that he was found guilty of at least the 3 first degree murders. The defense stated today that they would not appeal if he gets life. I hope the DA goes for death on the three murders.

The defendant is 71yrs old and will likely have a good 20yrs of appeals if he gets the death penalty so its basically a life sentence either way they go.

obucina
05-13-13, 22:38

i wonder how long until someone in general population does this.....I do believe that rapists, pedophiles, and child killers are viewed as the lowest form of inmate.

Sensei
05-13-13, 23:27
America took a small step in the right direction. Let's hope that we take another by putting a needle in his arm running a paralyzingly agent in his vein.

Alpha Sierra
05-14-13, 04:19
May this be the fate of every abortion performing "doctor". If not in this world, certainly in the next.

BIHMF

TAZ
05-14-13, 11:58

I get lumped into the whole baby killer soup because I believe that a D@C should be a legal medical procedure. I believe it's acceptable to use an abortion to save the life of a mother. I believe that rape victims shouldn't have to spend 10 months of their lives and thousands of their dollars caring for the outcome of a violent attack. I also believe that other medical cases justify an abortion (incest...). I am also tolerant of first trimester abortions as a means of last resort. I am however not in the late term abortion club nor am I a proponent of abortion as a primary means for birth control.

Generally I'm in the if you don't want an abortion then don't have one and raise your kids to not need one club.

To answer the specific question, no I would not have been OK with killing a living baby after delivery at any stage of the pregnancy. Once the baby was out and alive it should have been cared for as any other baby delivered.

Morally I would not have been OK with even a "properly conducted abortion" past the first 12 weeks. Legally, however, if late term abortions are legal wherever this guy practiced then there isn't much to do aside from get the laws changed.

jpmuscle
05-14-13, 15:45
Life in prison.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/14/convicted-pennsylvania-abortion-doctor-gets-life-in-prison/

Moose-Knuckle
05-14-13, 16:29
Life in prison.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/05/14/convicted-pennsylvania-abortion-doctor-gets-life-in-prison/

I guess no appeal then, hope he lives out the remainder of his days as a c** dumpster.