PDA

View Full Version : Help on choosing iron sights

05-13-13, 17:52
Ihave a 16" LW50 mid length and rather than wasting money on more cheap scopes I want to save for a quality one. In the meantime I want to get a quality set of irons. Once I get a scope I'd like the option of using them as BUIS so I'd prefer flip up's. I know Troy's have a good reputation, are these what the forum recommends or another brand?

2k12ss
05-13-13, 17:55
You answered your own question. :D

smac61
05-13-13, 19:36
You answered your own question. :D

Yup. Pick the Troy set you fancy and call it a day.

Achilles11B
05-13-13, 19:44
Go Troy. In addition to great products, their CS is on point.

Amur
05-13-13, 20:08
Troys are awesome. Honda accord of BUIS. Tough as nails, works well.

You may also consider KAC micros. More expensive some nice features. More like a Cadillac.

Both will get get you to the store.

Troys are 100% good to go though

_Stormin_
05-13-13, 20:09
Or if the Troy sights are hurting your budget, you can always look to MagPul for a polymer set.

sgtrock82
05-13-13, 20:25
The magpuls aren't bad but I wouldn't want them as stand alone sights just based on a toughness of polymer vs. metal. Polymer is great and all but I still wouldn't trust polymer to survive rough handling as the primary sighting system. Theyre great as strict BUIS being light, cheap and very functional but I agree with most here that Troy makes the nicest, readily available flip ups and wouldn't hesitate to use them on their own.

05-13-13, 20:32
Thanks for the reinforcement on the Troy's. I have a set of ARMS polymer but as SG said, their great as a back up but want something more durable for it being the only sight.

_Stormin_
05-13-13, 20:52
The magpuls aren't bad but I wouldn't want them as stand alone sights just based on a toughness of polymer vs. metal. Polymer is great and all but I still wouldn't trust polymer to survive rough handling as the primary sighting system. Theyre great as strict BUIS being light, cheap and very functional but I agree with most here that Troy makes the nicest, readily available flip ups and wouldn't hesitate to use them on their own.

Make no mistake, I've got no beef with the Troy set up, as they make an amazing product. Just like the MagPul set up to back up to optics, especially when the money that would have gone to irons ends up being able to be spent on the optic.

samuse
05-13-13, 21:19
I like the 300M Knight's BUIS.

sgtrock82
05-13-13, 21:28
Make no mistake, I've got no beef with the Troy set up, as they make an amazing product. Just like the MagPul set up to back up to optics, especially when the money that would have gone to irons ends up being able to be spent on the optic.

Ive got an MBUS front sight paired with a troy rear, just the way it turned out. But the I think the MBUS is an excellent product and very well engineered IMHO, especially the 2nd gen. Its only as a stand alone sight system that I would definitely choose the Troy over the magpul. Other than that its based on budget/size/weight requirements. Id like to pick up a rear MBUS and a front Troy and get the sets matched up and have the Troy set ready for the next carbine.

Amur
05-13-13, 22:00
If your workin a budget there is nothin wrong with the MBUS. They are about 40% of the cost and say 90% of function with some arguing that missing 10% is made up durability compare to metal sites. At the same time I have yet to hear of any pattern of failure with the MBUS from a durability stand point....but that is the opinion of just one man :neo:

jbo723
05-13-13, 22:07
Isn't Magpul releasing a steel version similar looking to the KAC Micros? I run both the KAC's and the Troy's on various rifles.

BadDogPSD
05-13-13, 22:10
Yes, Magpul PRO.... later this year.

dentron
05-13-13, 22:11
Isn't Magpul releasing a steel version similar looking to the KAC Micros? .

I am interested in this, where did you hear about them?

dentron
05-13-13, 22:15
Yes, Magpul PRO.... later this year.

Didnt see this cause i was typing when you posted it, but i googled magpul pro and found them. Yeah at$180 a set ill pass...

halfmoonclip
05-13-13, 22:31
Think about an XS 'skunk stripe' front sight; it's bunches easier to pick up, especially against a broken background.
The XS 'same plane' rear aperture is worth a thought as well.
Moon

_Stormin_
05-13-13, 22:36
Didnt see this cause i was typing when you posted it, but i googled magpul pro and found them. Yeah at$180 a set ill pass...

Actually, at a $180 MSRP (which is more like $150-175 on the shelf without panic pricing) the sights are one of the most affordable BUIS sets on the horizon.

dentron
05-13-13, 22:43
Troy micros for $160 is a better option IMO

mrvco
05-13-13, 22:54
I'm not a pro, but I do appreciate durable, quality kit...

It seems that you can't go wrong with the Troy sights. I ended up with the Magpul MBUS due to availability and price and they have been less of a compromise (more durable and accurate) than I expected.

The new Magpul PRO sights look nice, but I think I'll have a hard time justifying replacing the existing MBUS.

_Stormin_
05-13-13, 23:35
Troy micros for $160 is a better option IMO

I see you missed:

Actually, at a $180 MSRP (which is more like $150-175 on the shelf without panic pricing) the sights are one of the most affordable BUIS sets on the horizon.(emphasis added)

But that's cool, as I was able to repost it with the bold text for you. MSRP is generally a price that ends up being the upper end of what one would see on the shelf, once we are through the panic that has currently driven down supply (and up the pricing). This makes them in line with the pricing of the Troy sights (who's MSRP looks like $199, if Troy's own website can be trusted). It's impossible to know which will be better as this is a product that (unless you work for MagPul or left out the part about attending the NRA show) neither of us have ever handled.

Sidian
05-13-13, 23:59
http://vuurwapenblog.com/2012/07/08/buisoptic-drop-test/

VIP3R 237
05-14-13, 00:05
I think the MBUS Pro is going to take a huge chunk out of Troy's market.

The KAC Micros are hands down the best BUIS's on the market.

Troy's are good, but i prefer to have the smaller apeture ready to go which is not possible with the Troy design with out modification.

Also in Vuurwapen Blog's drop test the cheap MBUS gen 2's did better than the Troys.

http://kitup.military.com/2012/07/back-up-iron-sight-drop-test.html

_Stormin_
05-14-13, 10:08
The above is a pretty good read! Less than ONE MOA shift after two drops from shoulder height (5 feet) directly onto the MBUS, and the site remained fully functional. :)

Not to sound like a complete fan boy, but that's pretty impressive from a sub $100 set of polymer BUIS.

Sidian
05-14-13, 10:11
"One thing I did not mention in the post which was sent to KitUp (due to word count limitations) was that after dropping the MBUS twice, I picked the rifle up, held it over my head like the maul I used to split seasons' worth of firewood while growing up in Alaska, and swung it down on a concrete shooting table, with the MBUS taking all of the impact. It did not break or shift POI by anything more than 1MOA.

My opinion of the MBUS went from "cool airsoft gear bro" to "wow.""

The above is a pretty good read! Less than ONE MOA shift after two drops from shoulder height (5 feet) directly onto the MBUS, and the site remained fully functional. :)

Not to sound like a complete fan boy, but that's pretty impressive from a sub $100 set of polymer BUIS.

bighawk
05-14-13, 12:25
Having had multiple sets of Magpul and the Troy sights which are both awesome if youre looking for metal sights go with Troy and dont look back. Their products are top notch and their CS is great.

sgtrock82
05-14-13, 18:13
http://vuurwapenblog.com/2012/07/08/buisoptic-drop-test/

Color me impressed

morpheus6d9
05-14-13, 18:39
How about some 45° deg buis ?

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

cpekz
05-14-13, 20:25
Hard to go wrong with Troy's. I just ordered another set myself.