PDA

View Full Version : Who do you think makes the best chrome lined barrel?

crusader377
05-13-13, 19:03
There have been alot of discussion recently on which manufacturer makes the best barrel. For this poll please compare a standard medium weight profile such as a M4 profile or Government profile. The manufacturers are the following:

BCM (button rifled)
BCM (CHF)
Centurion CHF
Colt
DD CHF
LMT
Noveske CHF
Spikes Elite (FN CHF)
To close to call
Other

RalphK.
05-13-13, 19:06
1. Centurion
2. NOVESKE
3. BCM

and the rest is a pick em w/ DD and LMT Towards the top...but Spikes???...really???

and my picks are based on my Fan Boy loyalty to stated Brands...;)

jaxman7
05-13-13, 19:18
I mean no offense man but this is just goofy. Grab a DD, LMT, Noveske, Centurion, or BCM barrel. None will disappoint.

-Jax

crusader377
05-13-13, 19:20
and the rest is a pick em w/ DD and LMT Towards the top...but Spikes???...really???

I actually picked spikes because of their FN CHF barrel. FN also mfg. barrels for some of the other companies on the list.

Actually I wish I could post 12 because I would have added PSA's CHF barrel and although rare, Colt Canada CHF barrel

Riddle
05-13-13, 19:30
I mean no offense man but this is just goofy. Grab a DD, LMT, Noveske, Centurion, or BCM barrel. None will disappoint.

-Jax

i agree. the first thing that popped into my mind is "what does best mean?". accuracy? durability? price? availability? customer service? popularity?

crusader377
05-13-13, 19:31

-Jax

None taken. I just noticed alot of barrel comparisons recently and wanted to put out a consolidated poll. I'll probably pick up a Colt, DD, or BCM this year and I'm quite confident all three of them will shoot far better than I can. You are welcome to close if you think it is necessary.

^Rb
05-13-13, 19:37
Without even the most basic halfway-"scientific" *testing* (TRIDENT82... lookin' at you :] ), this poll is pretty worthless.

Skyyr
05-13-13, 19:37
I voted Noveske, but that's just because I'm partial to them and there's little difference in quality between Noveske, BCM, and Centurion. In this rare case, however, I would not suggest getting a Colt, since they will be mil-spec in their CL'ing (the other aforementioned brands should have double-thick lining, as they exceed the spec).

Failure2Stop
05-13-13, 19:38
My only true M4 profile barrel is a 6920, and with Mk262 it turns in close to or under 1 MOA at 100 meters more often than not.

Typos brought to you via Tapatalk and autocorrect.

JS-Maine
05-13-13, 19:43
Yep...all fanboy loyalty here....BCM CHF.

The problem with is FN makes HF barrels or rumored to make HF barrels for at least 5 AR Builders. These are the following:

Spike's Tactical
Palmetto State Armory
Noveske
Centurion Arms
BCM (rumored)

I would imagine the specs and Q/C would be similar because I think it would be more costly for FN to set up five different barrel lines and train your employees for five different specs.

jaxman7
05-13-13, 19:48
None taken. I just noticed alot of barrel comparisons recently and wanted to put out a consolidated poll. I'll probably pick up a Colt, DD, or BCM this year and I'm quite confident all three of them will shoot far better than I can. You are welcome to close if you think it is necessary.

Good deal man and appreciate the response. Thick skin will get you far here. ;)

I just think-and especially lately-there has been too much fuss over 'what is best '/ x or y when most of the questions asked have been about comparing top notch manufacturers in the first place. The end user will not notice the difference for the most part between say a Daniel Defense and a Bravo barrel.

-Jax

ETA: Oh and I don't have enough mitichlorians to close a thread. :) Not a mod or staff member.

Zane1844
05-13-13, 19:50
BCM BFH...why? Because I have one :D

Filthy 14 is also impressive, though I do not doubt, all the barrels listed- and their complete rifles for that matter- can do the same.

TMS951
05-13-13, 21:09
I think the FN barrels are the best. Their tapered bore wore add a benafit as does the double thickness chrome bore.

Other than gas port sizes and profile I don't know what difference you are going to see in the different companies finishing them. Those companies are noveske, centurion, Psa, and spikes. I have been considering a centurion based on company as much as anything else.

I do not know who BCM gets blanks from, does anyone know this and care to share?

jbo723
05-13-13, 21:36
Having owned or still own barrels, rifles, and uppers from all listed except for Spikes and Centurion, I can honestly say that I haven't personally seen a performance difference with any of them. All function as they should and are on par accuracy wise with the same type ammo.

I do plan on getting a Centurion one day soon only cause I want to support another outstanding company.