PDA

View Full Version : Should i convert carbine to midlength?

notofnow
05-13-13, 21:29
Recently purchased a mid-length and found that i liked it much better than my carbine because of the longer handguard along with other aspects of the upper. Right now the carbine has a 7 inch magpul handguard and i would like to replace it with a noveske nsr 11.

I'm wondering if it would make sense to go ahead and replace the current 1/9 twist standard profile carbine barrel with a 1/7 twist mid-length lightweight barrel along with appropriate gas tube of course. I ask because once the noveske handguard is installed my support hand will prolly be right around where the gas block would be if i kept the carbine barrel. I imagine the gas block area would get much hotter and quicker than rest of the handguard.

Thoughts or recommendations?

Clint
05-13-13, 21:48
There won't be much discernible difference between a covered gas block in CAR and MID length.

If your CAR barrel is properly gassed, runs and shoots well, keep it and add the rail.

The other option is to sell the upper and pick up an upper you really want.

notofnow
05-14-13, 08:22
There won't be much discernible difference between a covered gas block in CAR and MID length.

The idea was that the gas block where the highest concentration of heat is would be closer to the muzzle end of the barrel with the mid-length and thus further away from my hand than with a carbine barrel where the gas block would be right where my support hand would be. Am i over thinking this?

The other option is to sell the upper and pick up an upper you really want.

Unfortunately an upper with the noveske handguard i want is usually not available or is fairly expensive when compared to the cost of replacing the barrel and adding the handguard.

saddlerocker
05-14-13, 08:43
The heat is not an issue. If you just want a different barrel, then go ahead, but heat from the gas block is a non issue.

Plus once you get a longer rail you may find you keep your support hand around 9", right over the mid gas block.

RGoose
05-14-13, 08:50
If the upper is functional and the barrel isn't key holing rounds then I say keep the barrel and add a longer rail. I highly recommend the rails from Centurion. If you're handy with a cut off wheel you won't even need to remove the front sight base to install one. Shoot it till the barrel is done then worry about changing the barrel.

Alex F
05-14-13, 09:12
Unless you're running a piston the gas block won't heat up enough to notice, unless you're shooting cyclic rate and holding it directly, of course.

Littlelebowski
05-14-13, 09:14
Am i over thinking this?

Yes, you are.

notofnow
05-19-13, 18:01
Thanks for the feedback everyone and yes it wouldn't be the first time i've over-thunk something

Benito
05-20-13, 17:25
Thanks for the feedback everyone and yes it wouldn't be the first time i've over-thunk something

Believe me, you're not alone in that.

MistWolf
05-20-13, 17:35
Unless you're running a piston the gas block won't heat up enough to notice, unless you're shooting cyclic rate and holding it directly, of course.

I dunno about you, but the FSB on the carbine I'm shooting heats up pretty good

_Stormin_
05-20-13, 17:51
I dunno about you, but the FSB on the carbine I'm shooting heats up pretty good

But he won't have an FSB with an NSR 11. He will have to replace the FSB with a low pro gas block or grind down the FSB. Either way, all of the metal at the gas port will be covered by the rail.

And his support hand will probably move further out once the ability to do so exists with the longer handguard... :)

Army Chief
05-20-13, 18:01
I wouldn't bother with a conversion. If you're truly certain that another mid-length is where you want to go, sell the carbine upper while the market is strong, and just buy exactly what you want.

AC

notofnow
05-20-13, 18:58
Ordered a midlength D. Defense LW chf barrel and already got the handguard. I like tinkering and it will be exactly the way i want it at a reasonable price.

MistWolf
05-20-13, 20:40
But he won't have an FSB with an NSR 11. He will have to replace the FSB with a low pro gas block or grind down the FSB. Either way, all of the metal at the gas port will be covered by the rail.

And his support hand will probably move further out once the ability to do so exists with the longer handguard... :)

Understood. My point is the FSB/gas block will still get hot whether the piston is in the gas block or the carrier

jaxman7
05-20-13, 20:48
If you are like me you have a very tight budget. Up until last year I literally had one AR. I trained with that one gun ALOT. It was my training gun, my 3G gun, and HD gun. I fired over 9K rounds through it and it was absolutely superb. The barrel used was a Daniel Defense non-CHF 16" carbine length gun.

As per usual I run late to the latest and greatest party. I now have 2 ARs and both are mid lengths. Granted and most importantly I only switched after years of live and dry fire with essentially the same gun that was a basic 16" carbine. Recently after many hours of being behind an AR have I branched out to 'fancy' mid lengths.

Is there a difference in smoothness? Yes, but it is absolutely minimal in comparison with having actual time behind an AR----any sort of quality AR. Spend your $ elsewhere (ammo/classes) until you are proficient. I really do consider things such as middies as a complement to your present rifle IF you already have a nice carbine gas gun and only have that to bring to the party.

Learn what you have. Spend money elsewhere until you can afford other things.

Is there a difference? Yes, but if you can only afford one then hold off for now and become proficient w/what you have.

-Jax

notofnow
05-20-13, 21:30
If you are like me you have a very tight budget. Up until last year I literally had one AR. I trained with that one gun ALOT. It was my training gun, my 3G gun, and HD gun. I fired over 9K rounds through it and it was absolutely superb. The barrel used was a Daniel Defense non-CHF 16" carbine length gun.

As per usual I run late to the latest and greatest party. I now have 2 ARs and both are mid lengths. Granted and most importantly I only switched after years of live and dry fire with essentially the same gun that was a basic 16" carbine. Recently after many hours of being behind an AR have I branched out to 'fancy' mid lengths.

Is there a difference in smoothness? Yes, but it is absolutely minimal in comparison with having actual time behind an AR----any sort of quality AR. Spend your $ elsewhere (ammo/classes) until you are proficient. I really do consider things such as middies as a complement to your present rifle IF you already have a nice carbine gas gun and only have that to bring to the party.

Learn what you have. Spend money elsewhere until you can afford other things.

Is there a difference? Yes, but if you can only afford one then hold off for now and become proficient w/what you have.

-Jax

Yup, exactly like you with a tight budget and agree completely on focusing funds on training. In fact the money saved by getting a barrel instead of a whole upper is because of funds needed for class/ammo. The one i'm replacing the barrel on was my one ar for everything also for a long time except 3 gun which i've not had a pleasure to participate in. No place around locally for 3 gun. I don't have an exact round count but it was getting up there. Besides, it was a 1/9 so going to 1/7 and quality brand barrel. Like you said, upgrading the first born as funds are available.