PDA

View Full Version : M&P45 Apex AEK or FSS?

BoringGuy45
05-13-13, 23:26
I'm planning on upgrading my late-2008 production M&P45 with Apex parts. I'm torn between putting in the DCAEK and the AEK trigger, or putting in the FSS trigger kit (which comes with an AEK trigger) and putting in the duty/carry spring kit to bring it up to a safer pull weight for carry.

I have no way of handling either trigger personally before I make the decision, so I have to go pretty much on faith and advice. I like that the FSS is like the 1911 (the pistol I learned on) and has next to no pre-travel, but obviously it's a bit more money. The AEK/DCAEK combo seems popular, but the trigger still has some pre-travel. Not a huge deal, but I still like a style closer to the 1911. Is there a noticeable amount of difference between the two setups I'm considering? Would a FSS kit plus duty/carry spring combo be good for carry anyway?

rjacobs
05-14-13, 21:42
Cant comment on the weight of the FSS kit with the duty/carry springs in it, but I can say that it is SHORT. I like it, but personally, I wont ever carry it, but I have the regular springs and it is light, I would say 3lbs, feels like less though. If that could be brought up to say 5.5 or 6lbs with springs I would feel more comfortable carrying it. I will stick with my DCAEK with RAM in my carry gun.

rathos
05-14-13, 21:53
I put the FSS in the .45 and it is roughly 4 pounds. Which is only slightly less then my glock at 4.4 pounds. Either of them are fine for carrying. I think the FSS makes a huge difference in the way the trigger pull is, probably the closest thing I have felt to a 1911 trigger in a polymer gun. I don't have any time behind the AEK, but the whole reason I wanted the FSS was the straight metal trigger.

zen_grasshopper
05-15-13, 09:18
I carry a FSS in both my full size and compact, and I have run them since Apex released them. Great trigger for a polymer gun, and mine are at 3.5 lbs on both.

Full size is my duty gun and my compact is for plainclothes work. I have no issues with carrying either of them, they are safe triggers. I carried a 1911 on duty for years with a trigger that was roughly the same weight. The FSS has a bit more take up and over travel than the 1911 that I carried, and the break is not quite as clean, but it is closer to the 1911 than any other poly gun trigger I have used.

On a side note, I have no problems with the factory M&P trigger, the only reason that I use the FSS is that my boss purchased them for me. While it is a great trigger, I really don't think it is necessary to shoot an M&P well.

Snake_207
05-15-13, 09:31
As of 5/3, you have another option. ;)

Apex released their polymer FSS trigger kit at the NRA Show in Houston. It's basically the same as the metal trigger, with a few minor changes.

The polymer trigger has rounded edges, and a bit more curve to it than the FSS trigger. It also comes with a green trigger return spring that will give you a nice 5lb trigger.

They are not up on Apex's website yet, but should be in a week or so. Price will be $129.95 for the kit and $39.95 for just the trigger.

Here's a peek:
http://mandpnews.com/2013/04/26/line-polymer-triggers-apex-press-release/

If you want a 1911-type trigger, go with the FSS kits. Yes, the difference in pre-travel between the FSS and AEK is noticeable.

BoringGuy45
05-15-13, 11:30
As of 5/3, you have another option. ;)

Apex released their polymer FSS trigger kit at the NRA Show in Houston. It's basically the same as the metal trigger, with a few minor changes.

The polymer trigger has rounded edges, and a bit more curve to it than the FSS trigger. It also comes with a green trigger return spring that will give you a nice 5lb trigger.

They are not up on Apex's website yet, but should be in a week or so. Price will be $129.95 for the kit and $39.95 for just the trigger.

Here's a peek:
http://mandpnews.com/2013/04/26/line-polymer-triggers-apex-press-release/

If you want a 1911-type trigger, go with the FSS kits. Yes, the difference in pre-travel between the FSS and AEK is noticeable.

Sold!:)

DocGKR
05-15-13, 23:40
I actually prefer the stock M&P trigger with the Apex Duty Kit installed.

jaxman7
05-17-13, 06:44
I actually prefer the stock M&P trigger with the Apex Duty Kit installed.

Same here. I put over a thousand rounds in the FSS trigger kit and just couldn't get used to it. Ended up putting the DCAEK back in.

-Jax

C4IGrant
05-17-13, 07:23
I run the AEK + Duty DCAEK. This allows you get the trigger pull right at 4.10-5LBS.

C4

Street Dog
05-20-13, 09:38
I run the AEK + Duty DCAEK. This allows you get the trigger pull right at 4.10-5LBS.

C4
This is the setup I run on my duty M&P 45, though I am looking at the poly AET, as it appears to have a more rounded profile than the
aluminum trigger. I do use the stock trigger return spring.