PDA

View Full Version : USGI bolt manufacturers?

ABNAK
05-14-13, 00:04
I was going to say Colt and FN, right? Scrolling through the internet I entered the 2 NSN's for the bolt assembly (1005-00-992-7285 and 1005-01-505-1035) and found that the difference is the "newer" extractor spring, although it is quite dated nowadays.

Nonetheless, I saw 3 manufacturers for the "bolt assembly" listed as:

1) Colt

2) US Army Armament Research and Development Command

3) NCB Hungary (!)

Now, these were on .gov-type websites and maybe I was reading it wrong. However, the latter 2 I mention in bold......didn't know the Army itself made M4/M16 parts and who the hell is this NCB Hungary?

Maybe some of you more familiar with government-speak can elaborate?

SWThomas
05-14-13, 08:38
Probably whoever they can get them from at the time.

AKDoug
05-14-13, 09:27
Whoever NCB Hungary is, they appear to supply a lot of U.S. military stuff, including Knights BUIS.

http://www.armyproperty.com/manufacturer/0000V/NCB%20HUNGARY%20HONVEDSEGI%20EGYSEGES

_Stormin_
05-14-13, 09:57
In doing a tiny bit of research, it looks like NCB Hungary doesn't manufacture anything. They simply are a conduit for supplies. A procurement middleman. I would like F2S to chime in here if he can. I know that he might have a bit more knowledge on the subject.

AKDoug
05-14-13, 11:02
I was starting to wonder the same thing since they had such a large variety of products listed on the link I posted.

It would make sense to have a middle man involved that confirms milspec and puts in the labor to find items.

ABNAK
05-14-13, 12:34
I was starting to wonder the same thing since they had such a large variety of products listed on the link I posted.

It would make sense to have a middle man involved that confirms milspec and puts in the labor to find items.

Either way it runs counter to what I would have instantly answered if asked "Who manufactures the USGI bolt assembly?" I would have blurted out (Horshack-like) "Ooo Ooo Colt and FN!"

Didn't see FN listed at all. Colt was, as expected. But this has aroused my curiosity as to just who does make them for the .mil guys. I know a handful of manufacturers make many of the major components for AR's and sell them to the various companies. But think about it: here we get all into the shot-peened, Carpenter 158 steel, MPI/HPT tested specs for the uber-bolt and that is mil-spec so whoever is doing it is no doubt meeting those requirements.

Does that Army Armament R&D Command I listed actually make parts too? And where is NCB Hungary getting them from if they are simply a middleman?