PDA

View Full Version : Small Pistol Primers

platoonDaddy
05-14-13, 12:05
Any source for Small Pistol Primers?

Thanks

markm
05-14-13, 14:18
I'd say substitute Small Rifle... but those are even harder to find.

Sam
05-14-13, 14:47
Can small MAGNUM primers be substituted for small standard primers?

markm
05-14-13, 14:57

I've shot Wolf SRMs in 9mm. The only downside being that about 1% or so wouldn't fire because of the thicker primer cup.

shootist~
05-14-13, 15:14
I lucked out and completed an order for a case within a couple of minutes of the text notification last week (Midway).

I've recently used Federal SRPs with no issues for 9mm and would not hesitate to do so again.

markm
05-14-13, 15:19
I think someone inquired with Federal, and they said the small rifle and pistol were the same primer. Don't quote me on that... I'm not 100% sure it was Federal... but it was one of the big boys.

RCI1911
05-14-13, 15:26

Yes. I've shot thousands of them in my M&P's with no issues what so ever.

RCI1911
05-14-13, 15:28
I think someone inquired with Federal, and they said the small rifle and pistol were the same primer. Don't quote me on that... I'm not 100% sure it was Federal... but it was one of the big boys.

They should be the same diameter but rifle primers should be slightly thicker to handle the increased pressures of rifle loads. May lead to a few failures but if its just range, practice fodder it would probably be okay. I haven't tried rifle primers yet. Can't remember if they are the same height. I thought I remember them being a little taller but not sure on that one.

Sam
05-14-13, 15:33
Yes. I've shot thousands of them in my M&P's with no issues what so ever.

Thanks.

mic2377
05-18-13, 22:29
Natchez has Federal SPP's in stock right now. I just snapped 2K up.

m1a_scoutguy
05-18-13, 23:09
I'd say substitute Small Rifle... but those are even harder to find.

I've shot Wolf SRMs in 9mm. The only downside being that about 1% or so wouldn't fire because of the thicker primer cup.

Yea,,I have used small rifle primers alot in my Glocks and hell even large rifle in my 1911s,,,not much of a problem !! Now I have had 0 problems with the Wolf Mag primers,,but do have a fail to fire with the Tula small pistol,,,good practice I guess,,,,Tap/Rack/Bang !! ;) Things are tough out there for sure,,keep your eyes peeled & ya should find 1K here & there,,,I'm sure it will last a bit longer,,but I have about had it with this crap of nothing in stock,,,LOL I have shot so many Mag/Standard Small Pistol Primers,,I don't even alter my load,,,pretty much no issues for me,,but you should always check loads and look for pressure signs in your own gun,,ya just never know,,;)

RedRallyeZ
05-19-13, 00:11
Natchez has Federal SPP's in stock right now. I just snapped 2K up.

Thanks for the call out!

MrSmitty
05-19-13, 14:49

I read somewhere that the CCI small pistol magnums were the same primer as the standard small rifle...don't quote me on that either though...