PDA

View Full Version : Walther to continue selling the PPQ M1 in the USA!

tdoom15
05-14-13, 16:32
Just got this email from Walther, this is great news!

"This announcement is about to be broadcast. We wanted you to hear it first.

As a result of market demand and customer input, Walther announced today to continue selling the popular PPQ M1 (Classic) in the United States in limited quantities. This means Walther will continue to manufacture and then sell in the US market the PPQ with a traditional thumb and paddle style magazine release. Availability will be early 2014 with Walther continuing its full support of PPQ M1 (Classic) firearms already sold and in the market with production of magazines and accessories."

The Dumb Gun Collector
05-14-13, 16:40
That's very good news. I much prefer the paddle release.

brickboy240
05-14-13, 17:03
If the mag situation was better...I might pick one up. They seem like really nice pistols. A poor man's P30...of sorts.

-brickboy240

brushy bill
05-14-13, 17:08
Now this is a game changer for me. If they are actually available and there is adequate supply of mags and OEM parts, I'll be picking up one.

Lawnchair 04
05-14-13, 17:15
If the mags were available I'd be all over it. I just can't seem to part with my glocks just yet though.

CFII
05-14-13, 18:34
Now if they will import the 5" in M1 flavor........

CoryCop25
05-14-13, 18:39
If the mag situation was better...I might pick one up. They seem like really nice pistols. A poor man's P30...of sorts.

-brickboy240

I agree on the Mag situation but I would take the PPQ over a P30 any day.

balance
05-14-13, 19:25
Just got this email from Walther, this is great news!

"This announcement is about to be broadcast. We wanted you to hear it first.

As a result of market demand and customer input, Walther announced today to continue selling the popular PPQ M1 (Classic) in the United States in limited quantities. This means Walther will continue to manufacture and then sell in the US market the PPQ with a traditional thumb and paddle style magazine release. Availability will be early 2014 with Walther continuing its full support of PPQ M1 (Classic) firearms already sold and in the market with production of magazines and accessories."

Excellent.

I have to admit, I had my doubts, but I'm pleasantly surprised none the less. It looks like they actually care what we think. We had to be where this market demand was coming from.

H&K fan? :D

If I asked how the PPQ was a poor man's P30, would I get a good answer? The PPQ sells for more money than the P30 in some places in Europe. Does this make the P30 a poor man's PPQ in those places?

Army Chief
05-14-13, 19:28
A sound decision that will surely be rewarded.

AC

brushy bill
05-14-13, 19:45
Wonder if there is an option for pre-order...

Dan_93SER
05-14-13, 20:38
This made my day.

Mac5.56
05-14-13, 21:14
I really prefer that magazine release style, and may consider picking one up too as a result of this news.

Hogsgunwild
05-14-13, 21:42
Great news. This makes me think that the PPQ compact will be here eventually.

Thanks for listening to all of us Walther!

Hogsgunwild
05-14-13, 21:45

Me too. And, I really like the P30 a lot.

SteveL
05-14-13, 21:45
Great news. This makes me think that the PPQ compact will be here eventually.

Thanks for listening to all of us Walther!

That would certainly be a welcome announcement.

jstalford
05-14-13, 22:07
Def. We just need to bombard their facebook pic posts with PPQ compact, like everyone did with the paddle release.

Omega Man
05-15-13, 03:50
Excellent.

I have to admit, I had my doubts, but I'm pleasantly surprised none the less. It looks like they actually care what we think. We had to be where this market demand was coming from.

H&K fan? :D

If I asked how the PPQ was a poor man's P30, would I get a good answer? The PPQ sells for more money than the P30 in some places in Europe. Does this make the P30 a poor man's PPQ in those places?

Does Walther compromise? Cause HK doesn't. :dirol:

superuk
05-15-13, 04:32
Wideners, Buds, and Manventure all just had mags a plenty.

brickboy240
05-15-13, 10:51
Good to hear the mag situation is getting better.

Yeah...I'd have a P-30 if it was striker fired. I am too used to the Glock platform to go back to anything that is D/A-S/A and that LEM trigger is just plain weird.

I am seeing lots of PPQs showing up at ranges near me. It seems to be catching on. That is a good thing...the PPQ...overall...is too good of a pistol to just fall to the wayside.

I might pick one of these up this summer.

-brickboy240

MrTips
05-15-13, 11:35
Easily the best email I received yesterday. Glad that Walther ended up making what really shouldn't have been a difficult decision. Hopefully the "limited quantities" bit is just them being cautious on the ability to meet demand rather than intentionally constraining output/import.

A PPQc announcement would be quite a feat.

SmokinSigs357
05-15-13, 13:38
I love the paddle release and admire Walther for listening to those who dislike it and created the M2.

I mentioned before that there has got to be some way to make a "universal" PPQ magazine. I dunno, I'm not a 'smith and I'm not an engineer, but common sense would tell you that it shouldn't be too difficult to throw some extra cuts in a mag in order to make it universal.

Anyway, I would also love to see a compact Q... Some folks would love to see a .45, but I think Walther could turn some heads at SHOT Show by unveiling a 10mm PPQ. Damn...that would be sweet!!!

jstalford
05-15-13, 13:51
Yeah, my worry is that if they don't come out with a universal mag, then they're going to release a PPQc and it's going to be M2 and all the full size M1 mags aren't going to work with it.

Dan_93SER
05-15-13, 13:53
Cross Creek Guns is showing 50+ mags in stock if anyone is looking:

http://crosscreekguns.com/magazines.html

balance
05-15-13, 14:00
Does Walther compromise? Cause HK doesn't.

But can H&K pistols go to hell and back? Cause Sigs can.

It's all a moot point anyway though, because neither of them are perfection, like Glocks.

:D

I just realized that I've owned Walther pistols for years, and I still don't know what their slogan is.

Hmac
05-15-13, 14:27
I honestly don't care even a little bit whether my magazine release is on the thumb or on the trigger guard, but I find the use of two different magazines to be a bizarre nuisance.

balance
05-15-13, 14:37
I'll do a copy and paste from a thread I just recently replied to on the Walther forum.

...but I'll point out that if you put two notches on the same side of the same mag, there will be two "clicks" before the mag is completely inserted when the mag is inserted into the pistol that uses the lower notch. This isn't exactly preferred on a defensive pistol. It also isn't what you'd expect from a quality product, which is what Walther is going for with their pistols.

Army Chief
05-15-13, 14:47
I honestly don't care even a little bit whether my magazine release is on the thumb or on the trigger guard, but I find the use of two different magazines to be a bizarre nuisance.

With no disrespect intended toward dissenters, my view of the M2 is that it is a completely unnecessary drain on Walther's resources. i can appreciate what they were trying to do, but we simply don't need a pushbutton mag relese variant of this gun any more than we need a 5" version at the expense of a Compact.

AC

Hmac
05-15-13, 15:00
Yeah. The common response to the (IMHO) odd decision to market a 5 inch version and no compact is that the P99c adequately fills the compact niche. I never understood that since the general impression of the QA trigger is pretty bad and the QD trigger on the PPQ is pretty well-received.

There is a distinct culture difference between the Walther forums and this one. I generally perceive that M4C is more oriented toward firearms carry and self-defense. The Walther forums less so. Walther Arms has a presence over there and that may play a role in their (apparently erroneous) initial decision to only import the PPQ M2. I get the impression that Facebook played more of a role in their decision to reverse that decision than firearms forums like this one.

balance
05-15-13, 15:26
Yeah. The common response to the (IMHO) odd decision to market a 5 inch version and no compact is that the P99c adequately fills the compact niche. I never understood that since the general impression of the QA trigger is pretty bad and the QD trigger on the PPQ is pretty well-received.

Well the P99 QA isn't made anymore. The PPQ took its place in the line-up. The P99c is only available in the AS trigger variant right now.

There is a distinct culture difference between the Walther forums and this one. I generally perceive that M4C is more oriented toward firearms carry and self-defense. The Walther forums less so. Walther Arms has a presence over there and that may play a role in their (apparently erroneous) initial decision to only import the PPQ M2. I get the impression that Facebook played more of a role in their decision to reverse that decision than firearms forums like this one.

The Walther forum has a lot of new members joining every day that are completely new to pistols. This forum seems to have more members with more experience.

I disagree with the other points that were made though. Most of the members of the Walther forum didn't understand the need for the M2's release either. Until then, all members there that had a PPQ, had one with the paddle/lever release. Lots of guys there voiced their opinion to Mark Evan Thomas, and sent E-mails and messages to Walther asking that they not discontinue the original PPQ. I believe it is this that got them to rethink their decision.

Either way, no matter why they chose to keep the M1 in production, I'm happy that they did. I think it will pay off for them in the long run too.

CoryCop25
05-15-13, 15:29
With no disrespect intended toward dissenters, my view of the M2 is that it is a completely unnecessary drain on Walther's resources. i can appreciate what they were trying to do, but we simply don't need a pushbutton mag relese variant of this gun any more than we need a 5" version that looks like a Hi-Pointat the expense of a Compact.

AC

Fixed it for ya, Chief

Phillygunguy
05-15-13, 16:14
Well that's great the stores mentioned are out of stock and dont even sell M2 mags and Im stuck with the M2
They didn't have any original PPQ where I live and Im not going to go through the hassle to sell it and get an original So If they don't get mags for the M2 Ill sell the ****ing thing and get another HK or glock

MAUSER202
05-15-13, 18:02
I know they are considered profiteering dicks and not well liked but CTD dirt has mags in stock now.

Army Chief
05-15-13, 19:14
Fixed it for ya, Chief

D*mned autocorrect. ;)

AC

Phillygunguy
05-15-13, 21:53
I know they are considered profiteering dicks and not well liked but CTD dirt has mags in stock now.

That be great if they listed whether it fit the M2 or not

Hmac
05-16-13, 01:46
That be great if they listed whether it fit the M2 or not

They're for the PPQ. 10 rounders.

More testament to Walthers brilliant marketing concept. This won't cause any confusion

scooter22
05-16-13, 07:31
This is excellent. I was afraid I would never find an M1.

Care to elaborate?

yellowfin
05-16-13, 08:49
Now that they have that issue resolved, will they work on making it not ugly looking?

jstalford
05-16-13, 09:13
Looks good to me as is.

balance
05-16-13, 09:13
Now that they have that issue resolved, will they work on making it not ugly looking?

My targets look beautiful. :D

bzdog
05-16-13, 09:22
PPQ vs. P30.

First world problems. :-D

-john

bzdog
05-16-13, 09:35
Most of the members of the Walther forum didn't understand the need for the M2's release either. Until then, all members there that had a PPQ, had one with the paddle/lever release. Lots of guys there voiced their opinion to Mark Evan Thomas, and sent E-mails and messages to Walther asking that they not discontinue the original PPQ.

Personally, I think they decided to come up with the M2 to compete in the mass market, not as feedback from owners. If you look at the broad Internet feedback, it was "wow, but weird mag release". If you put an push button mag release on it so you have apples-to-apples, why would you pick a Glock or M&P over the PPQ?

In that respect, I think it was a smart move.

However, I think it is even a smarter move to sell both. Personally I'm a paddle guy, and selling both makes everyone happy..

If they can get make enough product available and get the marketing machine going, I think they can really make inroads against the big boys.

I do want to see a PPQc (I will buy a couple if they do), but I agree that Walther probably has limited enough resources that they need to prioritize.

OK Walther, your action plan:

1) stop doping around with stuff like the PPX, 5" PPQ M2
2) ramp up production of the M1and M2 and mags
3) get the marketing machine in gear. sell, sell, sell.
4) PPQc in M1 and M2
5) proper PPQ "T" (M1 and M2), pre-milled for MRDS with proper suppressor sights
6) prosper

-john

CoryCop25
05-16-13, 10:29
This is excellent. I was afraid I would never find an M1.

Care to elaborate?

1.) Trigger
2.) Price
3.) Parts availability
4.) Customer service (not much better)
5.) Walther has a more simple design

Hmac
05-16-13, 11:18

Good lord, the best selling line of firearms in the world couldn't possibly be any uglier.

Phillygunguy
05-16-13, 11:33

If you want a beautiful gun get a 1911 with engravings and mother of pearl grips. I could care less what it looks like, the damn thing has the best trigger for a polymer gun and its striker fired too a win win If you ask me

Magic_Salad0892
05-16-13, 11:46
PPQ vs. P30.

First world problems. :-D

-john

G3 vs. AK.

3rd world problems.

Noodles
05-16-13, 13:07
Lol at you guys... I have probably close to 8,000 rounds on my PPQs now. Including a few classes, uspsa matches, suppressed/not suppressed, three different holsters, 3 different sets of sights, low light / no light shooting with and without a weapon mounted light, and I've owned a fullsize P99 as well as a compact... All that, and...

I CANNOT WAIT to dump the trigger guard mag release. I've tested enough with the PPQs, Glocks, M&Ps, and most importantly watched reloads on the PPQ compared to the button mag guns closely.

What I discovered was that the PPQ - THE WAY I RELOAD IT - does not allow for a solid grip while reloading. I've found that while using my middle finger to release the mag I am holding the gun by ONLY my ring and pinky finger. For me is almost unacceptable.

The issue is that I have fingers too long to use my trigger finger, so when I am using my strong hand middle finger to reload (picture this, use your own hands to visualize, imagine shooting and bring the gun up into a "workspace" to reload it):

Thumb - Typically straight. Pulling off of my grip to reload I notice my thumb releases and extends up, initially to clear my support hand, it stays extended typically. Still on the correct side of the beaver tail, but not applying much if any pressure to the strong side.
Index - My trigger finger is up on the slide not the trigger guard, minimal pressure applied towards the support side
Middle - Depressing the trigger guard mag release, putting pressure down relative to the muzzle, some pressure towards the support side
Ring - Wrapped around the grip, still holding the gun
Pinky - Wrapped around the grip, still holding the gun

In this moment.. I'm noticing that during reload, I have only two fingers truly holding the gun. On top of that, my index and middle fingers are applying pressure to the support side of the gun (I'd write "left" but I'm make this ambi friendly) while only my thumb is apply opposite pressure. The gun in this moment is extremely easy to twist in my grip. And does so if moving or after getting the new mag in.

Now, compare that to a Glock where using the thumb to release the mag...
Thumb - Wrapped around the gun pressing the button, minimal to slight pressure
Index - Up on the slide, minimal opposite pressure
Rest - Wrapped around the grip in the same fashion I was just shooting with.

Basically all fingers applied to the gun in the fashion most conducive to not letting it slip or fall away.

What I noticed was that with the PPQ's paddle mag release, I am not only letting go of the gun a lot, but coming back from the reload I'm shifting my grip. This is mainly because I just spent the last few seconds holding the gun with only two small fingers worth of pressure, plus my thumb if I pay attention to do that. During the time I'm slaming the mag in, the gun definitely moves relative to my grip. THIS SUCKS. It forces me to readjust my ring and pinky in order to make the proper room for my middle again. There is also a slight rotation to fix with my thumb.

Now... I know I'm probably shitting on what some to believe the second best part of this gun after the trigger. I encourage you to keep it to yourself because I truly DO NOT CARE. I'm just sharing my observations about what I consider a flaw in this gun - the way I use it.

Three things... IF I had not used a high speed camera, or spent the last 8-9k rounds with this gun as my primary, I might not have noticed it. In one class I took, I very often had the fastest reload using the PPQ, which is a small sample, but this wasn't an intro to handguns class either, I haven't paid attention in other classes as I'm trying to be focused on my performance alone. And finally, if you can use your trigger finger to reload the paddle mag PPQs, GREAT, that probably solves some issues, I can not, fingers are definitely too long.

I encourage anyone using a paddle mag PPQ to "pause" their reload mid-way through and examine how they are holding the gun. Shake it around a bit, and then compare to a button mag release.

I can not wait to swap to M2s.... Now if they'd finally release the 5" and I could find a good deal on a Navy!

Note1: I am considering swapping my PPS for a Shield for the same reason as above, but I feel less strongly on this.
Note2: I wish I would have saved the high speed footage! It was kind of eye opening as to what is actually happening during a reload
Note3: I also want commonality to other handguns (glock/m&p) and I really don't think the PPQ's paddle mag is great for that.
Note4: I have not yet dropped the PPQ. But I came very close once when wet and reloading. So, while this might not be an issue except for the grip readjustment when dry, wet is another story.
Note5: I would keep the PPQ M1 and deal with this issue I have if the M2 did not exsit. It is not a deal breaker, but I have the option to fix it by using M2s so I will do so.

balance
05-16-13, 13:19
Lol at you guys...

Why are you laughing at us?

:D

What I discovered was that the PPQ - THE WAY I RELOAD IT - does not allow for a solid grip while reloading. I've found that while using my middle finger to release the mag I am holding the gun by ONLY my ring and pinky finger. For me is almost unacceptable.

I use my middle finger too, and I don't feel that my hand has too little tension on the pistol during reloads. The thumb and trigger finger are pressing the frame, and against each other, with the hold that I'm using when reloading.

Now... I know I'm probably shitting on what some to believe the second best part of this gun after the trigger. I encourage you to keep it to yourself because I truly DO NOT CARE. I'm just sharing my observations about what I consider a flaw in this gun - the way I use it.

You can't make a statement and then say to all others that they keep their thoughts to themselves. I'll say that as far as where you are now, it is good that Walther made the push button mag release available with the M2.

I prefer the paddle mag release because I find that it is faster, I find that it is close to impossible to release the mag accidentally, and I have mags that fit it.

Gutshot John
05-16-13, 13:19
Paddle release was the 2nd most significant reason why I dropped the PPQ after a few weeks. I hate those ****ing things, they strike me as unsafe though that's only an opinion.

Is it a drain on resources to make two releases? Perhaps though I don't see why its that big of a deal. Does the drain mean it doesnt make business sense? Nope. If you can sell more guns this way...you can sell more guns. Whether it's two more or 2 thousand more guns.

I don't know that two different magazines are a deal breaker for most potential buyers. They want Walter cachet, they'll get it.

Noodles
05-16-13, 14:12
In case anyone feels like releasing the mag with their middle finger somehow does not effect them, I snapped a mock picture for illustration.

http://s22.postimg.org/kfgx9owk1/Walther.jpg

Hey, what do I know? Maybe you have 6 fingers or secrete a naturally sticky substance. Once I figured out what was going on, this imo was not ideal.

If I were to make special notice to wrap my thumb in tight during a reload, it would be less of an issue. BUT, that means for a reload, I must release my strong hand thumb to get my support hand out, bring it back in to grab the gun during reload, release again, then grab again when my support hand is back in place. This caused the same issues with having to re-adjust my grip.

Like I said, I'm sure there will be static from someone so in love with the idea of an unconventional release that they'll insist this issue does not effect them. Good for them. For humans with 5 digits on each hand, and using the middle finger for a release, I'm not sure how this wouldn't effect them.

I tested with still photos at 5fps on many at least 4 different shooters including an instructor most people know the name of and highspeed video of myself, I found what I consider to be a flaw in the paddle mag concept. Do with that as you may, ignore it if you like, no skin off my back.

balance
05-16-13, 14:41
Good picture. That looks like my grip while reloading, only my thumb isn't just hanging up in the air like that. It is pressing the frame against my trigger finger, and my trigger finger is pushing the frame against my thumb, meaning only one finger, the middle finger, is not putting tension on the pistol to grip it.

It works for me.

With the push button mag release, your trigger finger and thumb are not gripping the pistol. That leaves three fingers to hold the pistol.

Unless you have six fingers or something.

I'm sure I'll get static from someone who is so in love with the push button mag release for these statements though. Do with this as you may, ignore it if you like, no skin off my back.

Is this really how you have normal conversations with people? Just because something doesn't work for you, doesn't mean that it is a flawed design.

I agree that we should all do what works for us. If the push button mag release works for you, excellent, and the PPQ M2 would seem like a good option for you.

Army Chief
05-16-13, 15:37
Foul. You're using a Baby Desert Eagle magazine. ;)

On a more serious note, I don't really notice the lever problems, but as a left-handed firer, I am accustomed to using my trigger finger to release mags; as such, mastering a sweeping motion versus a button push is a matter of no real consequence.

On the other hand, I have never inadvertently jettisoned mags on my carry rig with a lever release arrangement, which is more than I can say for many a push button.

AC

Noodles
05-16-13, 16:18
Foul. You're using a Baby Desert Eagle magazine. ;)

On a more serious note, I don't really notice the lever problems, but as a left-handed firer, I am accustomed to using my trigger finger to release mags; as such, mastering a sweeping motion versus a button push is a matter of no real consequence.

On the other hand, I have never inadvertently jettisoned mags on my carry rig with a lever release arrangement, which is more than I can say for many a push button.

AC

Is it? I have 5 Walther mags and one MR, just got lucky when I grabbed that one I guess.

Trigger finger totally changes things. If I could physically do that I would after seeing how much my grip shifts using the middle finger to release.

I tried for awhile to solve the issue of having a weak grip on the gun using middle finger to release. Apply more pressure with the thumb on slide lock reloads caused a few early slide closures which took me a couple times to figure out why I would have a click, tap, rack... oh!

No matter what I came up with, using the middle finger to release, the gun was exceptionally easy to twist as my thumb (regardless of pressure applied) was behind the pivot point (axis of the grip) and my two remaining fingers no matter how tightly I pressed would always be holding on to the grip axially and at the bottom of the lever arm (holding the bottom of the grip with all the mass above it), meaning the gun was always easy to rotate the muzzle right towards me, something I'm not a fan of, and move around torsional like if I was moving. This was practically impossible to rotate this way with a Glock for instance because the middle/ring/pinky fingers never moved from their shooting position and the thumb coming around to press the button just secured that grip further. If they never leave, they never need to re-adjust, big feature imo.

Exceptions... This was the case with every shooter I asked to try the gun, and photoed their reloads... but if you had a button style gun you could not hit without shifting the grip, that imo is just as bad. As above the PPQ wouldn't be an issue with a trigger finger release if you can manage it. And as a devil-handed shooter, you may shoot right handed guns using the middle finger approach anyhow, so might not be something unusual, but I was pretty shocked when I did the highspeed testing of a reload.

Most of this is moot if you only shoot range or competitions. If you carry the gun, I suggest getting a little soap and water, and examine middle finger release. I was not pleased with what I found. Which is why it's so curious to me that people are getting hard over the M1 being offered still. Once seen, it could not be un-seen.

Hogsgunwild
05-16-13, 21:56
If you want a beautiful gun get a 1911 with engravings and mother of pearl grips. I could care less what it looks like, the damn thing has the best trigger for a polymer gun and its striker fired too a win win If you ask me

Indeed. Tiny little groups, with a $500.00 plastic gun, at 25 yards, looks shit hot to me. I have had enough comments to know that the people around me think it looks good too.

MAUSER202
05-17-13, 12:09
They're for the PPQ. 10 rounders.

More testament to Walthers brilliant marketing concept. This won't cause any confusion

I got 4 17 rnd 9mm mags. Part # is for the m1

Dan_93SER
05-24-13, 21:54
Sorry if this isn't the best place to post this, but since guys are bemoaning the lack of PPQ mags...

Walther-brand 17-rd mags are in stock at Midway right now for $43.99 ea, limit 2.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/146526/walther-magazine-ppq-9mm-luger-17-round-anti-friction-coating

HES
05-25-13, 00:03
Sorry if this isn't the best place to post this, but since guys are bemoaning the lack of PPQ mags...

Walther-brand 17-rd mags are in stock at Midway right now for $43.99 ea, limit 2.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/146526/walther-magazine-ppq-9mm-luger-17-round-anti-friction-coating
We'll they're already cleared out.

pinzgauer
05-25-13, 02:27
As above the PPQ wouldn't be an issue with a trigger finger release if you can manage it. And as a devil-handed shooter, you may shoot right handed guns using the middle finger approach anyhow, so might not be something unusual, but I was pretty shocked when I did the highspeed testing of a reload.

Trigger finger works for me. And I don't have to shift my grip. I'm still working on muscle memory, so won't claim it's faster. But I'm pretty sure it's not slower. I'll start trying some times next.

Probably my biggest concern would be training scars when switching between platforms

---sent from my PRC-104 using a knee key

bzdog
05-25-13, 08:24
Trigger finger works for me. And I don't have to shift my grip.

+1.

-john

Hogsgunwild
05-25-13, 11:26
Different strokes for different folks for sure. As a lefty, I thought it was interesting to hear another shooter comment on how fast a another lefty (in his first real training class) was performing his reloads on his button release Glock. I am down by one finger on my left hand and I have zero issues with my M1 mag releases and have always felt that being a lefty was almost faster for me than right handed manipulations with the left side button releases.

On the other hand, yesterday my Shield's mag release button activated as I was I was rotating my upper body to close the door to my house. My holster is the CompTac MTAC which is designed for this gun. I believe by purposly using the AIWB version of this holster in the 8:30 position, the nearly zero cant (that I prefer on compact guns) allowed it to ride with the mag release button under the top of the belt and even with the holster's protection, the pressure was enough to activate the mag release. My fault, not the gun's, but, as much as I love the Shield, my first thought was; if only they made a paddle release version so that I could be standardized with my P99 compacts, which I carry more often. The next thought, of course, was of switching over to to the PPS. That would work, but, I don't have the time now and will not anytime soon, either. Tough choice since I love the Shield and have it all set up and accessorized. Plus, it is rare that the buttons ever unintentionally activate, but, it only takes once at the wrong time and I could be screwed. I also believe that if I ended up ground fighting, the button release is a major handicap. Probably the worst but most likely scenario that makes me (as a lefty, but, could this not happen to a right handed shooter as well?) feel guilty about carrying my Shield.
Only other precaution would be to find a stronger Kydex holster that covers the button better (short of modifying my holster).
I believe that by changing my holster (presently ideal as far as concealment goes) to secure the button, it would sacrifice comfort and possibly concealibility, therefore, going to the PPS may be my smartest fix.

DrMark
05-25-13, 11:42
"Walther to continue selling the PPQ M1 in the USA!"

Excellent. Walther has my attention.

bzdog
05-25-13, 16:56
my first thought was; if only they made a paddle release version so that I could be standardized with my P99 compacts, which I carry more often. The next thought, of course, was of switching over to to the PPS.

Also consider the HK P2000SK. The SK with flat base plate and HK 45c mag release is my go-to CCW. Well, that and yellow painted front sight and orange painted rears, an P30 spare mags.

-john

Hogsgunwild
05-26-13, 12:03
Also consider the HK P2000SK. The SK with flat base plate and HK 45c mag release is my go-to CCW. Well, that and yellow painted front sight and orange painted rears, an P30 spare mags.

-john

Hi John,

How is your prototype PPQ compact doing? I bought two P99AS compacts to fill the role and I still fight the urge to grab a P2000SK.
I love my light LEM HK45 compact, miss my light LEM P2000 (except that it was a .40), but, the SK would be redundant to my compact P99s' role. I still need and use the role of a Shield or PPS. I know that the PPS would be plenty accurate, reliable and everything else as I did own the .40 version about four years ago but knowing me, I would have to buy the PPS, find the perfect sights (sometimes it takes me more than one sight purchase / attempt to find the most accurate and best sight picture for me)get a shell for the MTAC holster (thirty bucks, it's cheap), pick up a good half dozen mags and then, if I decided it was what I wanted to keep carrying, I would probably not get rid of the Shield since it is such a good system and it could fill it's role again if I ever went back to my M&Ps or even 1911s (the other platforms that I will probably always keep the herd of four or five of the best ones of each). I just do not have time to deal with a new acquisition and getting it set-up for carry, presently.

Circle_10
05-26-13, 13:13
The M1 vs M2 thing is largely a matter of preference right? I'm pretty interested in the PPQ, I handled one at a Cabela's the other day and came away fairly impressed even from that rather cursory examination. Is there any particular reason for someone with no practical experience with the "paddle" style release to invest the extra effort into finding an M1 as opposed to just getting the M2? There aren't any ergonomic or design issues with trying to shoehorn a conventional release into a pistol originally designed for a paddle style one right?

balance
05-26-13, 13:20
The M1 vs M2 thing is largely a matter of preference right? I'm pretty interested in the PPQ, I handled one at a Cabela's the other day and came away fairly impressed even from that rather cursory examination. Is there any particular reason for someone with no practical experience with the "paddle" style release to invest the extra effort into finding an M1 as opposed to just getting the M2? There aren't any ergonomic or design issues with trying to shoehorn a conventional release into a pistol originally designed for a paddle style one right?

It is mostly preference. The M1 will accept mags from the P99, MR9, and SW99 with a modification of the front lip of the mag body. The M2 will only accept PPQ M2 mags.

I wouldn't worry about design related issues from a mag release design change. The mag release serves a pretty simple and stress-free function.

Circle_10
05-26-13, 15:51
It is mostly preference. The M1 will accept mags from the P99, MR9, and SW99 with a modification of the front lip of the mag body. The M2 will only accept PPQ M2 mags.

I wouldn't worry about design related issues from a mag release design change. The mag release serves a pretty simple and stress-free function.

Thanks. I don't know what went into the design process so I wasn't sure if perhaps the PPQ's grip contours were engineered in such a way as to better facilitate using the paddle release or something, or if they were whether it would even make a difference when retrofit with a "conventional" type.
The magazine interchangeability seems like a selling point for the M1 but I suspect I would have an easier time getting ahold of the M2.

scooter22
10-23-13, 05:34
Are M1s available anywhere?

HES
10-23-13, 08:13
As Walther Said, they won't be re-importing them until 2014. So unless you can find a gun shop that has one in stock, you're gonna have to wait a bit. Even then, Walther will be importing them only in limited quantities.

Hmac
10-23-13, 10:01
You can buy them from Earl's. He's a legal importer. The prices tend to be rather breathtaking, $995 for a PPQ.