PDA

View Full Version : Bolt and carrier question

kgwld1
05-14-13, 18:11
Have a new ar put together with everything but the bolt carrier. Have the bolt firing pin and all the other things. My question is with all the ar's I have (4) can I use just there carrier and this new bolt in the new upper?
When I can find one that isn't stupid crazy price I then can buy it?

Hopes this makes sense. I know what I wanted to say may not came out right. Doh.

Any help would be great. I don't for see a problem as long as I keep that bolt in that upper.

saddlerocker
05-14-13, 18:34
Yes you can use just the carrier from another weapon.

But I see quite a few carriers in stock for $60-$100

kgwld1
05-14-13, 18:57
Really can you pm me where my usuals are no gos

saddlerocker
05-14-13, 19:53
2 PMs Sent.

You might not find a BCM/LMT ect.. carrier, but carriers are out there.
Quality Carpenter bolts are whats hard to find.

Obscenejesster
05-14-13, 21:36
2 PMs Sent.

You might not find a BCM/LMT ect.. carrier, but carriers are out there.
Quality Carpenter bolts are whats hard to find.

You hear so much information now from people online, it's kind of hard to juggle it all. What do you think about 9310 vs. Carpenter 158?

I saw Joe Bob make a comment on another forum that a lot of companies are switching over to making their bolts from 9310 due to it being less brittle.

Has anyone else heard of this claim regarding 9310?

AKDoug
05-14-13, 21:59
I've heard the claim too. I know that AR Performance makes their bolts out of 9310 and others also claim it's as good as Carpenter 158. I would use 9310 before I'd use any of those bolts made of 8620.

ScatmanCrothers
05-15-13, 06:28
You hear so much information now from people online, it's kind of hard to juggle it all. What do you think about 9310 vs. Carpenter 158?

I saw Joe Bob make a comment on another forum that a lot of companies are switching over to making their bolts from 9310 due to it being less brittle.

Has anyone else heard of this claim regarding 9310?

Heard this too. But i'd say the shortage of Carpenter 158 swayed certain companies into using 9310 more so than a voluntary switch due to superier characteristics.

Saying it's "just as good" wouldn't have been as convincing as insinuating it's better because "it's less brittle", even though better performance or duribility over 158 hasn't been directly stated or verified.

They ran with one defining characteristic to disassociate it from 8620 in the mind of the ignorant general public, and rightly so.

When 158 comes back around in somewhat of a quantity we'll see if they turn their noses up at it.