PDA

View Full Version : Iron Hammer Armory

tostado22
05-14-13, 19:11
Has anyone here heard of them? I did a quick search on the forum and google but didn't come up with much, or anything. I have a chance to pick up a decent looking Bulgarian AK-74 locally. The guy says it's from Iron Hammer Armory here in Colorado.

From what I gathered on their website they use only 1mm receivers on their AK pattern rifles. Sounds like a good shop but I have never heard of them so I am hesitant to buy this rifle. Any help or experience with them is greatly appreciated. Thanks

96 SS
05-15-13, 03:04
The main question is price. How much are you willing to pay on a gamble that no one has heard of?

FYI 1mm is the correct thickness for an AKM type AK reciever.

tostado22
05-15-13, 10:21
I mentioned the 1mm receiver because I have heard of others, waffen werks maybe, that use a thicker 1.6mm receiver.

The guy is asking $900 and from what little I have found that's about what they go for. I'm just seeing if there are any solid opinions on them here. I have found none so far.

Peshawar
05-15-13, 17:22
For that much money, there are better options. Look for an Arsenal rifle used somewhere instead. The receiver thickness for a military AK-74 is also 1mm. VEPRs have a thicker receiver, but at the cost of significantly more weight. It's your money, but I'd keep looking if I were you.

Bret
05-15-13, 17:54
First find out who made the receiver it's built on and let us know. If it's a good one, then I might consider it if the build is good and it has the original barrel. However, you'll have to examine it in person to find out. Personally, if I didn't know how to evaluate an AK build, I'd skip it at that price as it's pushing it regardless.

Peshawar
05-15-13, 19:30
First find out who made the receiver it's built on and let us know. If it's a good one, then I might consider it if the build is good and it has the original barrel.

According to their website at least, they make their own fully heat treated receivers and use US barrels. I'm guessing they'd specify if they were chrome lined, and they do not. I'd pass.

tostado22
05-15-13, 19:37
First find out who made the receiver it's built on and let us know. If it's a good one, then I might consider it if the build is good and it has the original barrel. However, you'll have to examine it in person to find out. Personally, if I didn't know how to evaluate an AK build, I'd skip it at that price as it's pushing it regardless.

From what I found out it is their own receiver with a Bulgarian build kit. Im not positive on the barrel of this particular gun. I wouldn't trust myself to check an AK build either which is why I'm asking here.

I think I will pass on this one. I agree I should wait for an Arsenal or something similar to come up. Thanks for the info guys. That's why I love this site.

Redwood
08-19-13, 14:59
We have run into a situation of late - Imposter builds. Iron Hammer Armory sells both custom built AK variant rifles, and we sell the serialized stamped receivers in a "stripped" form for other to build on.

Their are a few ways to tell if it is a true IHA build but the easiest is the serial number. All IHA built rifles start with SN# 00, or A0.
if the serial # starts with an B,C,D,E, or F, we did not build that rifle, it was sold as a receiver only.

If you ever have questions on any gun you believe to be an IHA build, or the services we offer, please email us- info@ironhammerarmory.com, or call the shop 303-990-4416.

Redwood
CEO & Founder
Iron Hammer Armory llc.

tostado22
08-20-13, 01:59
Ended up not buying the rifle but thank you very much for the info!