PDA

View Full Version : Poll Abuse

MistWolf
05-15-13, 01:22
Can something be done about the rash of polls showing up in the forums lately? I may be being unreasonable, but do we really need a poll to select one rifle or another, or what configuration of upper is our favorite? While it's easy to see how many voted for one or the other or which one out of fifteen, the results actually yield little information and don't really allow for another option, even one that might be better than the choices listed. Polls also don't tell us why a member made the choice they did.

If I'm unreasonable, just tell me and I'll try to find a way to deal with my irritation and try not to troll the polls.

Maybe I should start a poll to see how many members agree with me on this subject...

polymorpheous
05-15-13, 04:04
I agree.

I was just thinking the same when the BCM Jack vs. KAC Mod1 showed up.

Ryno12
05-15-13, 05:48
Use Tapatalk. You don't see any polls.

Sent via Tapatalk

montanadave
05-15-13, 08:08
How about we take a poll to gauge how members feel about all the polls? :D

Littlelebowski
05-15-13, 08:17
Kind of annoying but at least many of them are in gun related discussions as opposed to GD.

polymorpheous
05-15-13, 08:19
Poll threads are the new lube threads!

Littlelebowski
05-15-13, 08:20
Poll threads are the new lube threads!

Nice..... Just tell Iraqgunz that and watch the earth get scorched :D

Ironman8
05-15-13, 08:21
Or we could all put our big boy pants on and not participate if we don't want to and just move on to the next thread that intrests us.

Just sayin.

MistWolf
05-15-13, 09:52
I have not participated in any of the poll threads and more specifically, I have not trolled any poll threads. I brought my concern here instead.

My knee jerk reaction is to call for a ban on polls, but when used to stimulate discussion, they are a good tool (the polls rob_s put up come to mind.) But simply to ask "which rifle should I buy?" or "who makes the best barrel?" becomes silly rather quickly and clutters the place up.

What I'd really like to discuss is how to guide folks to using polls sparingly and more effectively, something I didn't make very clear in my first post. That's what I get for ranting but it did help me vent and clear my head of the irritation from poll rash

uffdaphil
05-15-13, 10:25
On this issue a poll would actually be somewhat informative. I am curious what percentage of members feel polls are a problem; mildly irritating; sometimes useful; or often worthwhile.

If it turned out that 98% like or love polls and you hate them, it's time to look up misanthrope in the dictionary. Conversely, investigate why you find time-wasting nonversation so rewarding.

MistWolf
05-15-13, 11:35
We must be having two different conversations here. I didn't say I hate polls, I said I find the latest iteration on this forum irritating. If 98% like the polls and if I did hate them, that doesn't make me a misanthrope, it just makes me different. Apparently, I'm not the only one taking pleasure in "nonversation". (Take that as a friendly jibe, not scathing sarcasm. I'm here to learn and for the entertainment value and sometimes the mental stimulation)

PS- A poll on this subject would be enlightening and stimulate further conversation, but oh!- the irony

Ironman8
05-15-13, 11:54
I have not participated in any of the poll threads and more specifically, I have not trolled any poll threads. I brought my concern here instead.

My knee jerk reaction is to call for a ban on polls, but when used to stimulate discussion, they are a good tool (the polls rob_s put up come to mind.) But simply to ask "which rifle should I buy?" or "who makes the best barrel?" becomes silly rather quickly and clutters the place up.

What I'd really like to discuss is how to guide folks to using polls sparingly and more effectively, something I didn't make very clear in my first post. That's what I get for ranting but it did help me vent and clear my head of the irritation from poll rash

Yeah, understood. I see the polls the same as all the "regular" threads that ask those un-researched questions. This and every forum has always had that problem...just now guys think that adding a poll makes it more interactive, I guess.

My post above was only meant to say that I just gloss over those types of threads and don't participate, poll or not. If they don't want to do any amount of research, and (most annoyingly) ask other people how to spend THEIR OWN money, then I'm not going to waste my time. Especially since those are typically the same people who will do whatever they initially had in their mind to do anyway....usually the total opposite of the "poll result"...go figure. :suicide:

MistWolf
05-15-13, 12:09
Gah! Wrong button

uffdaphil
05-15-13, 12:34
MW, I didn't mean to imply you personally hated polls. Just a category of general respondent to my hypothetical survey. I should have said " might be time to look up misanthrope" as that two percent might possibly be the enlightened avant-garde.

I don't love or hate 'em. Mildly irritated by time wasters, but enjoy being surprised sometimes by a consensus that makes me check my premises. And the justifications and bickering in the thread can be mighty entertaining.

Littlelebowski
05-15-13, 13:05
I'd just like to see "what should I buy?" polls followed up by.....somebody actually buying something.

zerocool
05-15-13, 17:58
I forget specifically who, but IG (or one of the other mods) perfectly described this phenomenon recently - it seems to be rooted in and influenced by the "facebook" and "twitter" generation. While it can manifest itself in "more seasoned" members, I really do buy the theory. Without sounding too pompous (and shoot, I'm 30 so it technically IS my generation creating most of the nonsense), it does seem to be generational, or at the very least mostly newer members.

I agree to just ignore and move on, it's an Internet thing, and not likely going away... but I do find myself more annoyed with the repetitive nature of the posts. Most of the time people are just looking to rationalize a decision they already made, or support a decision they want to make, or maybe even just daydream fantasize about things they'll never do/buy. Again, it's the 'tubes so I don't get too caught up in it, but M4 seems to have avoided this for quite some time (I was a lurker long before I created an account). Unfortunately it's caught up to the forum. People like talking about themselves and get excited about "cool stuff" that's likely new to them, so they post polls and pics and ask the same questions over and over. Is what it is.

Koshinn
05-15-13, 18:03
The fact that there isn't a poll about too many polls makes me sad.

tb-av
05-15-13, 18:50
Maybe I should start a poll to see how many members agree with me on this subject...

Careful... like polls repel... you could drive everyone away.

Airhasz
05-15-13, 18:55
I find most poll results interesting. Maybe it is just a slow news night.

Army Chief
05-15-13, 19:23
Fixed this one for you, brother.

Added a poll, of course. ;)

AC

Voodoo_Man
05-15-13, 19:37
First to vote for not caring!

:D

zerocool
05-15-13, 19:45
Now even AC is trolling us... what has this world come to! :D

+1 AC

Army Chief
05-15-13, 19:46
First to vote for not caring!

I find your apathy inspiring. ;)

AC

Army Chief
05-15-13, 19:47
Now even AC is trolling us... what has this world come to! :D

+1 AC

You know the deal ... you can be a part of the problem, or a part of the solution.

I'm tired of always being a part of the solution. lol

AC

Ryno12
05-15-13, 20:10

AC

I had to switch views cause I can't see polls via Tapatalk. Now I really appreciate a good sense of humor & that, my friend, is funny! :D

Sent via Tapatalk

jaxman7
05-15-13, 20:11

AC

That was classic! :p

I'd just like to see the search button used more often and many of the GD, Tech, Semi-auto handgun new guy threads started in the new to shooting subforum. Way way too many questions (and polls) are asked lately that don't really offer anything of value.

VA Dinger's Sticky in that sub forum makes clear its intent:

"Goal of This New Forum Section
This forum sub-section has been created to give new firearms owners and members new to shooting a place to ask questions and discuss topics without hesitation. Obviously the goal is to get these members started off with the best information possible. All our members are encouraged to help with answering questions if you honestly feel you are knowledgeable enough to do so."
I understand b/c of the panic we have a deluge of new fellas but it can get quite tiring.

Maybe for the time being moving up that particular forum to where it is right in between on closer to the GD and Tech threads may help with the 'white noise'? It may help redirect some threads from new members to a more appropriate place. Just a thought.

-Jax

MistWolf
05-15-13, 20:22

AC

http://www.classicbattletech.com/forums/Smileys/alive/knuppel2.gif

Ryno12
05-16-13, 07:04
...clear my head of the irritation from pole rash

Did you try going to the doctor? I think you can get shots for this. :p

Sent via Tapatalk

ICANHITHIMMAN
05-16-13, 07:39
All the anti gun stuff has brought a lot of new members to the forum, a lot of guys who are not gun guys. At least there asking questions, but I agree I don't want this place turning into TOS. It up to use I suppose to report them to the admin in that sub forum and pray that the admin shuts down stupid.

Army Chief
05-16-13, 08:05
We can make light of some of this in GD, given the 200 post restriction (which holds the new guys at bay for a while until they can assimilate a bit), but by all means, when you spot clown behavior, please let us know. Early intervention is often the key to turning these folks around ... or, when necessary, showing them the door.

AC

MistWolf
05-16-13, 09:19
Did you try going to the doctor? I think you can get shots for this. :p

Maybe I should. One can get the strangest firearms related diseases. Once, when I was a child, we went to see my uncle so my father could show off a matched pair of new weapons he picked up at the gun shop. Dad said "I got the Uzis."

My uncle stepped back and said "It's not catching, is it?"

We can make light of some of this in GD, given the 200 post restriction (which holds the new guys at bay for a while until they can assimilate a bit), but by all means, when you spot clown behavior, please let us know. Early intervention is often the key to turning these folks around ... or, when necessary, showing them the door.

AC

Do you think having a 200 (or 100) post minimum before allowing a new member to set up a poll might help? Do we have a poll policy?

Army Chief
05-16-13, 09:27
Do you think having a 200 (or 100) post minimum before allowing a new member to set up a poll might help? Do we have a poll policy?

In theory, I would agree that this would almost certainly help to reduce the scope of the problem; that said, I'm not sure how it could be implemented. Post restrictions are currently set up (or removed) for each individual board, and I can't recall if the software can be tweaked to handle polls as a separate matter. I tend to doubt it, but will do some poking around anyway.

AC

MistWolf
05-16-13, 09:28
I also feel the post requirement will do little good without a good policy on polls

Ironman8
05-16-13, 09:31
Not to be confrontational, by any means, but I'm still not seeing how adding a poll makes the intent of the thread any different than the "What should I buy?" text-only-type? They're both the same in my eyes. Is it the poll itself that irks you?

THCDDM4
05-16-13, 10:00
I thought this thread would be about Polish people/polack jokes...

Whoops! :p

MistWolf
05-16-13, 10:24
Not to be confrontational, by any means, but I'm still not seeing how adding a poll makes the intent of the thread any different than the "What should I buy?" text-only-type? They're both the same in my eyes. Is it the poll itself that irks you?

That's a fair question. "What Should I Buy?" threads can go either way, depending on how the question is framed. I find the added poll to be irritating when my first response is "We don't need a poll for that."

Often, on other forums, a poll thread ends up being filled with "I voted X" responses. I haven't noted that happening much here yet.

In reflection, my irritation may stem from the fact that I'd like to see polls used sparingly and with more thought given how they are implemented and did not know how to express that in a proper manner, without coming across as a jerk. I have had to fight the temptation to post "We need a poll WHY??" in those threads. Obviously, that would have been trolling. So I started this thread to discuss the subject rather than rant.

Heh! Since doing so, my irritation levels about polls has dropped. Still, I hope the discussion leads to a simple, well thought out policy on the subject

SteveL
05-16-13, 13:49

AC

And might I add it's the greatest poll ever. It made me feel all...

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9r0ioTGRn1qegpxeo1_500.gif

Ironman8
05-16-13, 14:00
That's a fair question. "What Should I Buy?" threads can go either way, depending on how the question is framed. I find the added poll to be irritating when my first response is "We don't need a poll for that."

Often, on other forums, a poll thread ends up being filled with "I voted X" responses. I haven't noted that happening much here yet.

In reflection, my irritation may stem from the fact that I'd like to see polls used sparingly and with more thought given how they are implemented and did not know how to express that in a proper manner, without coming across as a jerk. I have had to fight the temptation to post "We need a poll WHY??" in those threads. Obviously, that would have been trolling. So I started this thread to discuss the subject rather than rant.

Ok, I can see where you're coming from now. I think it just boils down to people doing the research and figuring out how best to spend their own money or what product best fits their needs. Asking for clarification on a product's features or it's application is something totally different and probably not suited to a poll to begin with.

But then again, I think alot of people just don't inherently know how to set up polls to begin with....and don't even get me started on graphs! lol

Heh! Since doing so, my irritation levels about polls has dropped. Still, I hope the discussion leads to a simple, well thought out policy on the subject

Thanks to AC, no doubt :p

Ironman8
05-16-13, 15:16
Bahahaha! --> https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=131184

MistWolf
05-16-13, 16:19
Bahahaha! --> https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=131184

http://www.isuzone.org/forums/images/smilies/dark2.gif

Army Chief
05-16-13, 16:40
Put some guidance on the street in the form of a sticky. We'll see if anyone actually reads it; either way, you now have a reference post from which to comment upon frivolous polls. ;)

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=131186

AC

MistWolf
05-16-13, 18:26
Thanks, Chief

Ed L.
05-16-13, 20:16
Sometimes even if a poll or post look questionable on its face, it can stimulate interesting conversation from knowledgeable posters. I found some very interesting posts in the BCM Jack vs. the Knights poll.

Most people can't buy every gun that they would like to. But it's still fun to talk about them intelligently and read knowledgeable discussions.

Having said that, it's often useful to click on the profile of the person who posted the poll and see what his other posts are like. I'll just leave at that, rather than come across as though I am singling out any posters.

I think it is very important to encourage new shooters. Especially with gun ownership under siege, I think it is important to help responsible gun ownership grow.

I really want to help new people make good choices. I understand that being new they may ask some basic questions and some dumb ones. We were all new once, and we asked a lot of questions, some of which we might now be embarrassed about.

I don't want to come off as snarky or condescending to drive new people away. I also don't want to see M4carbine.net overrun by 'that guy' type posts. I don't think there is any danger of this happening given the current staff and membership.