PDA

View Full Version : Grip angle

pyzik
05-15-13, 09:57
So I picked up this AR yesterday, first AR (other than the Olympic Arms I bought seven years ago and hated and sold a month later).

I've had my AK for going on eight years now and have had the Hogue grip on for quite a while. It's what I'm used to and I love it. I wish their grip for the AR was the same angle!

Is the BCM gun fighter the only other grip that has a more verticle grip than typical?

http://i1124.photobucket.com/albums/l565/pyzik200/Guns/IMG_20130515_104925_zps4241e4bb.jpg

Obscenejesster
05-15-13, 09:59
Yes, the BCM Grip is more vertical than most other grips. Umbrella Corp also makes a grip which is more vertical.

05-15-13, 10:01
21 AR Grips compared

http://blogs.militarytimes.com/gearscout/2012/07/27/21-ar-grips-compared/

pyzik
05-15-13, 10:02
Yes, the BCM Grip is more vertical than most other grips. Umbrella Corp also makes a grip which is more vertical.

Thank you. I see the umbrella corp's doesn't offer storage though...
(That's a kick ass company name and logo, haha)

21 AR Grips compared

http://blogs.militarytimes.com/gearscout/2012/07/27/21-ar-grips-compared/
Whoa! Thank you!

I like the BCM MOD1x and maybe the Troy Enhanced.

Koshinn
05-15-13, 10:03
MOE K and one of the HK grips (on which it seems the BCM is based) are also more vertical than standard grips.

darr3239
05-15-13, 10:13
So what is the consensus on the BCM grip?

I have a BCM, but it's on an SBR. On standard guns I really don't have issues with other grips, unless they are too big. I also don't have any use for finger grooves.

Anyone have heavy use on the BCM, on a carbine?

pyzik
05-15-13, 10:13
Well, I went to order the BCM MOD 1x in FDE and their FDE doesn't come in the "x" model with the extended trigger guard piece (which I know I want because this trigger guard digs into my finger).

05-15-13, 10:16
Well, I went to order the BCM MOD 1x in FDE and their FDE doesn't come in the "x" model with the extended trigger guard piece (which I know I want because this trigger guard digs into my finger).

Rainier Arms has it in stock

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=3143

pyzik
05-15-13, 10:17
Rainier Arms has it in stock

http://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=3143
Ordering now. Thank you.

markm
05-15-13, 10:30
So what is the consensus on the BCM grip?

It's good. I like mine.

JonnyVain
05-15-13, 10:42
Stark makes a low angle grip. I think it's listed in the link above, and it's what I have.

It has a grip plug, but don't consider that in your purchase, as it falls out after a couple of shots... unless they changed the design.

Anyone have the MOE K2 yet? I was thinking of getting it, but the indent at the top looks like it would be sharp and uncomfortable.

SPQR476
05-15-13, 10:57
K2 is awaiting a texture change. Should be out shortly. The "indent" is actually pretty cool...allows a more vertical grip angle without disrupting a straight to the rear trigger pull. It's also a little larger than the MOE grip. It's rapidly becoming my favorite.

Many other vertical grips have a very "nebulous" index for hand placement, which I don't like, and is why the K2 is what it is, but different strokes for different folks.

The K2 fits my girl hands, as well as Canipe's monkey hands and Steve's "bratwurst fingers on a catcher's mitt" paws well enough that we all love it, so it's not hand-size dependent.

Donut
05-15-13, 11:01
I've been excited about the MOE-K2 since I heard about it, and have been constantly checking the site every couple weeks to see if it was out yet. I plan on ordering one, verifying that I do like the more-vertical angle, and then swapping over a good chunk of my other AR's grips.

05-15-13, 11:07
Duane, is there any plans on making a + version of the K/K2 grip?

JonnyVain
05-15-13, 15:34
K2 is awaiting a texture change. Should be out shortly. The "indent" is actually pretty cool...allows a more vertical grip angle without disrupting a straight to the rear trigger pull. It's also a little larger than the MOE grip. It's rapidly becoming my favorite.

Many other vertical grips have a very "nebulous" index for hand placement, which I don't like, and is why the K2 is what it is, but different strokes for different folks.

The K2 fits my girl hands, as well as Canipe's monkey hands and Steve's "bratwurst fingers on a catcher's mitt" paws well enough that we all love it, so it's not hand-size dependent.

Thanks for the info! Almost picked up the Umbrella Corp grip but it was out of stock at Rainier when I bought my Fortis Rev.

SPQR476
05-15-13, 15:50
Duane, is there any plans on making a + version of the K/K2 grip?

Hard to say. There are bunch of things in queue ahead of that concept, but I won't say no.

Donut
05-15-13, 15:55
Slightly off topic, but when are you aiming to release the RSA-QD? About the same time as the K2?

SPQR476
05-15-13, 16:37
Slightly off topic, but when are you aiming to release the RSA-QD? About the same time as the K2?

Probably before. I have one in front of me, but we weren't happy with some details...should be soon.

Donut
05-15-13, 16:41
Sweet! Thanks for not only the replies, but also the thorough R&D of the parts.

TomMcC
05-15-13, 17:06
I'm itchin' to try the K2.........hurry!!

NeoNeanderthal
05-15-13, 17:37
I'm assuming the k2 has storage/

Donut
05-15-13, 17:43
According to the site, it'll take the standard MIAD/MOE cores.

Benito
05-15-13, 19:43
I don't understand how manufacturers are still putting out grips with no storage.
Us OCD types get quite neurotic without at least a spare bolt and some assorted small parts on the gun at all times

sinlessorrow
05-15-13, 23:04
Stark grip. Best grip ever created.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_wZ2pn-v2yuQ/S140DuF5IFI/AAAAAAAAABo/GVr9Gh1zIrQ/s400/DSC02870.JPG

Obscenejesster
05-16-13, 06:49
I hated the Stark grip. The concept is cool but it was constantly rubbing the inside of my thumb the wrong way. After a long session at the range, I had a blister on the inside of my thumb and that's when I decided it was no good. I was reading a thread where someone modified it and took the trigger guard off. I'll probably try that.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

ericl
05-16-13, 06:57
Check out the Troy Enhanced Battle Ax CQB Grip. Haven't shot it yet, but I like the way it feels in relationship to the "finger on trigger" angle.

Grobdriver
05-16-13, 11:20
http://www.pearcegrip.com/Products/AR15/PG-AR15M

pyzik
05-16-13, 11:21

That is ugly, but the stark grip still takes the cake on the ugliest.

But hey, if it works, more power to ya.

markm
05-16-13, 11:22

Yeah... I'm pretty much function over fashion... but there is no way I'd put that on an AR. :p

Grobdriver
05-16-13, 11:27
Heh.
Just offering options!

sinlessorrow
05-16-13, 12:22

The stark is ugly but its the best grip I have ever used and my rifles do not compete in beauty competitions either lol.

JonnyVain
05-16-13, 14:57
I actually sanded most of the beavertail off my stark grip. Looks better and didn't effect function at all.

I think their angled grip looks like it would work better than the Magpul angled grip. Although it's ugly like their pistol grip. Only good looking thing they make is their compact grip.

WickedWillis
05-16-13, 18:33
BCM Mod 1. Best grip I have run on a rifle.

ForTehNguyen
05-16-13, 18:36
BCM grip is real nice, I was able to retract my stock one setting with the steeper angle. Center of gravity is closer to my shoulder

jaxman7
05-16-13, 21:37
Another thing I've noticed since switching to a more vertical grip is that I have more leverage to maneuver the rifle around one handed. This was the first thing I noticed after putting on the Umbrella grip.

-Jax

nml
05-16-13, 21:42
Us OCD types get quite neurotic without at least a spare bolt and some assorted small parts on the gun at all timesWhat do you do with pistols?

pyzik
05-16-13, 22:01
Thanks guys. I've got the BCM MOD 1 on the way. It just feels totally unnatural the way it is now. My AK and M&Ps have pretty much the same angle and is what just feels right.

sinlessorrow
05-16-13, 22:17
Another thing I've noticed since switching to a more vertical grip is that I have more leverage to maneuver the rifle around one handed. This was the first thing I noticed after putting on the Umbrella grip.

-Jax

Hey Jax how did that Stark grip work out for you?

Bushytale
05-17-13, 07:05

Single stack 1911 is my all time favorite handgun grip, so I tried one of the Pearce AR grips some years back when they first hit the market. It is very bulky and much thicker than a 1911. It feels even fatter than a Para Ordnance hi-cap grip. A definite NO-GO for me! :nono:

I like the MOE grip. Just ordered in a BCM mod1 to check out as the angle looks like a good idea on carbines.

.46caliber
05-17-13, 08:00
Single stack 1911 is my all time favorite handgun grip, so I tried one of the Pearce AR grips some years back when they first hit the market. It is very bulky and much thicker than a 1911. It feels even fatter than a Para Ordnance hi-cap grip. A definite NO-GO for me! :nono:

I like the MOE grip. Just ordered in a BCM mod1 to check out as the angle looks like a good idea on carbines.

I'd love to see an AR lower with a 1911 grip machined instead of the standard AR grip mount. I'm curious how it would turn out.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Atg336
05-17-13, 08:21
After man-handling the A2 for 8 years in the Army, then feeling the BCM Mod 1, I definitely have to go with the BCM.

Shorts
05-19-13, 07:30

-Jax

This is the primary reason I switch from the standard grip to the BCM mod1.

The adjustment I'd still like to make is have the rifle sit lower in my hand so the weight of the rifle is in the web of my hand rather than support by my palm grip. Akin to when installing a beavertail gs to a 1911 instead of the standard gs. From the looks of it, the K2 will offer that arrangement. Looking forward to it.

Armson-OEG
05-19-13, 09:24
Could someone advise me how the BCM Mod 0's girth is compared to a MIAD grip,

Koshinn
05-19-13, 11:22
I'd love to see an AR lower with a 1911 grip machined instead of the standard AR grip mount. I'm curious how it would turn out.

Not well I'd imagine. The angle between your hand and forearm is different when firing an AR and a pistol. Or it should be at least.

discreet
05-19-13, 12:09

Good stuff. I guess I'll wait and give one a try. Been debating on giving a BCM a try but might as well wait for a few

Rogue556
05-19-13, 12:23
I've got the HK grip on mine and love the angle. Got it for around $30. This was of course before BCM launched their grip so I didn't have it as an option.

One thing about the HK is it doesn't cover the gap on the trigger guard so it will rub the knuckle on your middle finger raw, even with an enhanced trigger guard. I got used to it so for me it's a non issue. Also it lacks storage if that's important.

I'd say go BCM if your gonna try one. If I didnt already run mine that's what I'd go with.

.46caliber
05-19-13, 12:26
Not well I'd imagine. The angle between your hand and forearm is different when firing an AR and a pistol. Or it should be at least.

Angle can be adjusted. I guess I'm thinking more about the profile, not too big, not too small, just right.

Anybody know what the angle from bore line is for an A2 grip and a 1911 frame?

JonnyVain
05-19-13, 17:25
This is the primary reason I switch from the standard grip to the BCM mod1.

The adjustment I'd still like to make is have the rifle sit lower in my hand so the weight of the rifle is in the web of my hand rather than support by my palm grip. Akin to when installing a beavertail gs to a 1911 instead of the standard gs. From the looks of it, the K2 will offer that arrangement. Looking forward to it.

The Stark grip does that. I think the only problem though is that the entire grip sits lower, so even though the weight would sit on the web of your thumb, you might lose that leverage.

Hern13
05-26-13, 20:57
After man-handling the A2 for 8 years in the Army, then feeling the BCM Mod 1, I definitely have to go with the BCM.

Same situation here. Tried a few Magpul grips on my personal rifle. Ended up with the BCM Mod 1 and have had no second thoughts.

Kain
05-26-13, 21:11
Grips are a very person thing, I have not found a grip that works for me and everyone I know who shoots. My all time favorite grip, up to this point, is the MIAD grip, the full kit, with the front strap with the integral trigger guard, though I don't think they make that set up any more. I am playing with the BCM grip, but unlike some I am not finding it to be the best for me, one handed to me, since it is smaller then the MIAD it is harder to hold on to. My advice, try several and see which works best for you.

Celt
05-27-13, 00:53
I like the HK V2 grip. That said I am really looking forward to Magpul's new grip.