PDA

View Full Version : 20 inch mil spec barrel....best low pro gas block?

guyhurd
05-15-13, 18:02
I have a mil spec 20" barrel that was given to me. The barrel came from the civilian marksmanship program. My wife just bought me the 11" Troy alpha rail for a gift for my selection to become a warrant officer. So as to not offend and to also ensure she continues to buy my gun stuff in the future I have to use it!! The rail is going to stop shy of the gas block (around an inch or so). Any advice as to what type gas block to use so it doesnt look stupid?Can't use a front site post because she bought my flip ups a few months ago. Thanks in advance

RHINOWSO
05-15-13, 18:17
Buy a 16" barrel and save your 20" for something else.

JMO...

Donut
05-15-13, 18:29
I'd say the easiest and least expensive route to go would be to buy a 16-inch barrel. Really - is the cost of a new barrel worth tranquility at home? I wager it is.

dentron
05-15-13, 22:46
Is this going on a complete rifle, or are you trying to build an upper?

Caeser25
05-16-13, 05:44
An 11" won't cover the gas block. Just chop the front sight if you don't want a fixed front sight. You'd need a 13 or 14" rail to cover it in a 20" barrel.

Col_Crocs
05-16-13, 07:10
So as to not offend and to also ensure she continues to buy my gun stuff in the future I have to use it!!...
...Can't use a front site post because she bought my flip ups a few months ago. Thanks in advance

Seriously?? Come on, dude. What if she bought you a carbine length rail, or, pink magpul stuff for your duty weapon so yours is easily identifiable from everyone elses?
Just relegate those for another build or get a barrel that will work with what you have.

markm
05-16-13, 08:43
Buy a 16" barrel and save your 20" for something else.

JMO...

Agreed. Homo-ize another barrel.

AKDoug
05-16-13, 09:15
If she bought you the rail and flip ups your only real choice is to get a new barrel. BCM has 16" barrels in stock right now..$239

Sent from my iPhone on tapatalk

mark5pt56
05-16-13, 09:23
chop the sight and run it like a scalded dog. Or pop it up for trade/sale and get the stripped 16"