PDA

View Full Version : Walther PPX First Impressions

Father of 3
05-15-13, 21:16
Today as I'm perusing around a new LGS, I find two Walther PPX's and a PPQ M2 and I fondled them both. My initial thoughts are:

WEIGHT: The PPX seems somewhat lighter than the PPQ.

ERGONOMICS: The grip is very ergonomic but just doesn't quite match the PPQ. The PPQ feels more rubbery and the PPX more plasticy. I really like the button mag release. I have short wide hands, and the mag release I can hit without having to slightly cant the grip of the gun. The mags jumped out when you hit the button.

SIGHTS: I liked the stock sights better on the PPX. Not as wide of a notch in the rear sight as the PPQ.

TRIGGER: I was really impressed with the PPX trigger. I was expecting a heavy DAO trigger. It seemed almost as light as the PPQ but was a butter smooth Double Action. The reset seemed shorter than the overall travel; it didn't feel like I had to let it all the way out to reset. Reminded me somewhat of a H&K LEM.

PRICE: $429

LOOKS: Not as bad in person. Pics look like a PPQ got raped by a Hi-point, but in person there's not as much difference between it and a PPQ, in my opinion.

While I didn't purchase this gun, it definitely had my attention by the time I left. I would like to get to a range that has one for rent to see how it handles.

Anyone here have any experience with the PPX??

HES
05-16-13, 00:32
Pics look like a PPQ got raped by a Hi-point:lol: Ok you earn the "quote of the week"

beschatten
05-16-13, 05:08
A part of me just wishes they would focus all their resources of pushing the PPQ M1 and a shitload of magazines.

bzdog
05-16-13, 09:40
A part of me just wishes they would focus all their resources of pushing the PPQ M1 and a shitload of magazines.

Yah, I think the whole PPQ community groaned in unison... "WHY?!!?".

-john

Army Chief
05-16-13, 09:49

Absolutely. A push button mag release version of the PPQ is an unnecessary diversion. A 5" version of the PPQ is a mere curiosity. The PPX represents an almost laughable expansion of the line, as if the PPQ itself were too costly a pistol. I truly do not understand what Walther has in mind with this gun, and although I give them full credit for the decision to retain the M1, I can't think of a single decision they've made beyond this that makes even a modicum of sense for this market.

I'm not suggesting the PPX isn't unworthy contender; merely that it is an almost completely pointless product. Why Walther can't just focus upon their core competences is beyond me. They introduce the PPQ, the market response is absolutely overwhelming, and the next thing we know, we're being given three unwanted variations of the base pistol (while the best seller is at least initially withdrawn), and there is still no mention of the one version that would sell as well or better than the original: a compact.

I have a great deal of respect for Walther, but their business acumen is going to have to improve considerably if they truly wish to become a peer competitor in the US market.

AC

Magic_Salad0892
05-16-13, 09:53
Absolutely. A push button mag release version of the PPQ is an unnecessary diversion. A 5" version of the PPQ is a mere curiosity. The PPX represents an almost laughable expansion of the line, as if the PPQ itself were too costly a pistol. I truly do not understand what Walther has in mind with this gun, and although I give them full credit for the decision to retain the M1, I can't think of a single decision they've made beyond this that makes even a modicum of sense for this market.

I'm not suggesting the PPX isn't unworthy contender; merely that it is an almost completely pointless product. Why Walther can't just focus upon their core competences is beyond me. They introduce the PPQ, the market response is absolutely overwhelming, and the next thing we know, we're being given three unwanted variations of the base pistol (while the best seller is withdrawn), and there is still no mention of the one version that would sell as well or better than the original: a compact.

I have a great deal of respect for Walther, but their business acumen is going to have to improve considerably if they truly wish to become a peer competitor in the US market.

AC

I think they're just throwing a bunch of shit at the wall, and seeing what sticks.

That said, the fact that the PPQ and PPX use different magazines is pants-on-head retarded.

I also do think that the 5'' PPQ is a cool idea because it's a direct competitor for the G34, and M&P Pro. Makes sense to me.

(Also, S&W is missing out by not making a midsize 9x19mm varient. They do it with the .45, but not the 9x19mm. Wtf.)

CRAMBONE
05-16-13, 09:56
What does the PPQ or PPX do that the P99 does not? I have read a little in them and the only experience I have with them is playing with a PPX at a gun store. What are the differences?

bzdog
05-16-13, 10:25
What does the PPQ or PPX do that the P99 does not? I have read a little in them and the only experience I have with them is playing with a PPX at a gun store. What are the differences?

PPQ is essentially the evolution of the P99. Better ergos and trigger.

-john

bzdog
05-16-13, 10:28
I also do think that the 5'' PPQ is a cool idea because it's a direct competitor for the G34, and M&P Pro. Makes sense to me.

I think it would have made more sense if it gave us something *more* than just a bit of length. A long version of the Navy that was also pre milled for a MRDS and had taller sights, that would have made more sense, IMO.

-john

Magic_Salad0892
05-16-13, 10:40
I think it would have made more sense if it gave us something *more* than just a bit of length. A long version of the Navy that was also pre milled for a MRDS and had taller sights, that would have made more sense, IMO.

-john

Agreed 100%. Like the M&P C.O.R.E. Which IMO, Glock needs to release a competing model to. Same for Walther.

Airborne Infantryman
05-16-13, 11:06
I have a PPX SD, and I cannot disagree with the OPs findings.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7288/8738550225_8d99ec7536_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7287/8738550521_da0a4194a1_b.jpg

Magic_Salad0892
05-16-13, 11:17
I have a PPX SD, and I cannot disagree with the OPs findings.

Functions well with the suppressor? How's accuracy?

Airborne Infantryman
05-16-13, 13:29
Functions well with the suppressor? How's accuracy?

My observations with only 120 rounds through it -

Zero issues, gripes, or complaints, except for some blowback from the suppressor.

Pretty quiet; on par with a Glock 17 in terms of quietness.

Fired 100 rounds of 115g PMC through it, and zero issues.

Fired 20 rounds of Federal Hydra-Shok 147g subsonic, and zero issues. Its stupid quiet with the subsonics.

Fired all 100 rounds of PMC through it suppressed, except for 1 16-round magazine to confirm function without the suppressor.

Trigger doesn't even feel like a hammer-fired pistol. Feels like a lighter Glock trigger, truth be told. Reset is OK; nothing spectacular, but the trigger pull is pretty damn nice for a DAO gun.

Shot at only 10 yards during my outing; gun was more accurate than I was; I'm not much of a precision pistol shooter, however, even with the 45Osprey on it, I noticed zero noticeable POI shift from the suppressor.

The grip looks weird as hell, but reminds me of the grip on my H&K P30 that I used to have. It forces your hand to get as high of a grip as possible, and I like it.

The gun is slightly chunky, but it seems to be built like a tank for what it is. I do like the fact that its built by Walther, in the same factory as the PPQ, and such. Make no mistake; a Walther PPQ, this is not, however, I honestly like it a lot. Its been fun so far, and I plan on getting to the range again when I can find some more subsonic 9mm ammo.

FWIW, I paid $499 for my PPX SD.......probably one of the better deals going right now for a 9mm with a threaded barrel.

ETA: A helpful pic for those wondering about the clearance of the Osprey on the PPX SD - it clears with about 1/4 inch room to spare. Plenty of room.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7287/8739669036_7faf1d90d0_b.jpg

tdoom15
05-16-13, 14:38
I think the point of this weapon is to get Walther pistols into more hands and compete with the likes of the SR9 or sp2022. Most people are familiar with Glock, XD, M&P, and may have heard of Walther, but the average gun shop lurker doesn't pay them much attention when you can get the others for $50 less. In addition, the average local gun shop lurkers like cheap, and that price point is definitely attractive to the first time gun buyer. I'm guessing that Walther wants to attract the first time gun owner, and if they have a positive experience, they will start taking a look at the PPQ and PPS.

I was also pretty pleasantly surprised at the trigger. At this price point I was expecting gritty, but it was smooth and much lighter than I had anticipated. I don't know if I'll pick one up anytime soon, but it is interesting and I do like that Walther is definitely trying to increase its presence in the US market.

Army Chief
05-16-13, 14:52
I think the point of this weapon is to get Walther pistols into more hands and compete with the likes of the SR9 or sp2022.

While I would readily concede the point, I'm not sure that this is the market segment that they should really be aspiring to capture, lest a gain in overall sales revenues come at the expense of an almost legendary reputation for quality.

To their credit, clearly the corporate types at Walther do seem to be listening to someone; sadly, whoever that someone is seems to have no idea what he is actually talking about.

AC

CoryCop25
05-16-13, 15:27
Spot on AC.
I think Walther should be focusing on beating the Glock 19 out of the market. If they stopped being stubborn Germans (just like no striker fired P30) and worked on parts, sights, mags availability, they have better than half a chance.

TAZ
05-16-13, 18:23
To me the whole PPX thing is mind boggling. It seems to me that they were targeting the hammer fired crowd who couldn't afford or wouldn't afford an HK. I would have much preferred that they increase capacity for the PPQ, mags and accessories.

balance
05-16-13, 18:34
To me the whole PPX thing is mind boggling. It seems to me that they were targeting the hammer fired crowd who couldn't afford or wouldn't afford an HK. I would have much preferred that they increase capacity for the PPQ, mags and accessories.

It seems like a good candidate for a duty pistol. It's an inexpensive DAO pistol with a consistent trigger. None of their other pistols really have a chance competing for contracts here in the US.

The PPQ is a SAO pistol. The P99 has a DA/SA trigger with a "different" mag release. The PPS is too small.

crowkiller
05-16-13, 21:53
Airborne Infantryman nice pics they do the PPX justice.

I really don't know why Walther came out with the PPX but if I had to guess it would be for contracts that require hammer fired guns look at HK all their current plastic pistols are hammer fired. I wish Walther would spend more time establishing the PPQ better before jumping to other projects. Two of the worst decisions made was to stop importing the M1 and not have mag compatibility as a must during the design phase of the M2 and PPX. The first has been fixed supposedly but the second I think its too late to change maybe. Why dont these company's look at Glock and realize what makes them so successful is the support, parts availability and compatability of the parts and magazines of the different models. If only Walther plays their cards right because they have a winner in the PPQ.

MAUSER202
05-17-13, 12:06

-john

Great answer, true too

shutup&shoot
03-09-14, 18:00
Hate to bring up and old thread but interested if anyone else picked one of these up yet. I got one for 299 from the last gun show. Wanted to see if any problems have popped up yet.

bondmid003
03-11-14, 03:16

-john

This was the question I was going to ask so thanks. I bought a P99 back in 08 but haven't shot it much 2009-2010.

9111B
03-11-14, 19:28
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7287/8738550521_da0a4194a1_b.jpg

It is ugly but it matches the Osprey pretty well haha

Slater
03-23-14, 14:59
Just picked up a PPX recently along with a couple spare mags. For me the ergos are great and I hope it shoots as good. The PPX seems to be flying below the radar in comparison with the PPQ - possibly because it's a bit bulkier and hammer fired?:

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss158/5757_photos/005_zpsd52c8fff.jpg (http://s571.photobucket.com/user/5757_photos/media/005_zpsd52c8fff.jpg.html)