PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help me figure out a GI Bill question?

Eurodriver
05-16-13, 08:37
I changed majors early enough in my college career that I think I can just barely squeak by but...

assuming my Post 9/11 GI Bill has 1 month and 15 days remaining at the beginning of a 3 month and 15 day long semester (2 months in the hole) how does that work?

Do they pay my tuition for the semester? For only 1/3 of the semester? Do I only get the housing allowance for the first 1 month and 15 days?

What about the $1200 that I paid in while I was on active duty. I remember hearing that I get that back if I exhaust all of my Post 9/11 benefits.

Edit: I'm asking here for several reasons:

1. A lot of you are military and use/used the Post 9/11 GI Bill
2. Calling the VA is useless. When they actually answer the phone; I've gotten two completely different answers. One says there will be a hard stop at 36 months and benefits will be prorated if I run out during the semester. The next lady says that if you have a bit of time remaining you will automatically get the full benefit for the entire semester.
3. My school is even more useless.

Littlelebowski
05-16-13, 09:02
Tag, in the same spot. Not to mention the 20+ minute wait to call the VA and get no information.

JSantoro
05-16-13, 09:45
Uncertain if there's any delta between those going traditional class time or online, but a buddy (mostly online classes) has run into his own snags and clawed his way through them. I recall one such that resembled this.

I'll feed him the question and see if he's got any input.

DragonDoc
05-16-13, 09:52
Those are good questions and I can't answer them. Are you near a military installation? What state are you in? I would try your states Veteran's Association or contact the nearest Education Center on a installation. Try these numbers for Fort Hood. They may be able to help you.

Education Services Officer
Building 33009
(254) 287-7329

Chief of Programs
Building 33009
(254) 287-7353

Education Counseling Center
Building 33009
(254) 287-4824

a0cake
05-16-13, 09:54
As far as I know the VA will continue to pay for the remainder of that semester. The only reason they will pay for a partial semester only is if you hit your delimiting date. I'm not 100% sure on this, but close.

C-grunt
05-16-13, 20:40
Be careful with the VA right now. They recently sent me a notice saying I owe them 3000 dollars because they paid for an accelerated semester that I failed due to family emergency. They said that according to my "online attendance" I dropped out.

Belmont31R
05-16-13, 22:22
Be careful with the VA right now. They recently sent me a notice saying I owe them 3000 dollars because they paid for an accelerated semester that I failed due to family emergency. They said that according to my "online attendance" I dropped out.

My VA councilor flat out told me I wouldn't get paid for this summer, if at all, until later this year. Luckily my school seems better then most and put a 90% shelter on tuition until I actually get paid.

a0cake
05-16-13, 22:25
My VA councilor flat out told me I wouldn't get paid for this summer, if at all, until later this year. Luckily my school seems better then most and put a 90% shelter on tuition until I actually get paid.

WTF? Is the summer semester your first one at the school, or something? Why would they pay for the Spring semester and then all of the sudden not be able to cover the summer? Just curious, because I'm planning on putting my GI Bill to work this summer too.

Belmont31R
05-16-13, 22:42
WTF? Is the summer semester your first one at the school, or something? Why would they pay for the Spring semester and then all of the sudden not be able to cover the summer? Just curious, because I'm planning on putting my GI Bill to work this summer too.

She said 3-4 months out on payments. Puts me into the fall semester.

Quote:

You have a shelter on file for the 90%, you need to pay the 10% or try and get TA to pay. Thanks.

steyrman13
05-16-13, 22:45
I had the pre-911 benefits, when I finished school in 09. My benefits had 3 months remaining at the beginning of Spring semester(5 month semester). They paid for the first 3 months and I had to pay out of pocket for the remaining 2.

Don Robison
05-16-13, 23:43
She said 3-4 months out on payments. Puts me into the fall semester.

Quote:

You have a shelter on file for the 90%, you need to pay the 10% or try and get TA to pay. Thanks.

That's pretty messed up. I'll count myself lucky; my school has been paid within two weeks of enrollment and I get the benefits letter from the VA within three weeks. This summer semester I got the letter before the semester even started and I only had 8 days between semesters.

steyrman13
05-16-13, 23:48
That's pretty messed up. I'll count myself lucky; my school has been paid within two weeks of enrollment and I get the benefits letter from the VA within three weeks. This summer semester I got the letter before the semester even started and I only had 8 days between semesters.

I always got my payments a few months (3-4) behind ie. start in Aug and start receiving payment in Nov time frame

gun71530
05-17-13, 01:32
My payments have always been on time.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Watrdawg
05-17-13, 07:56
I had the GI Bill and College Fund(Pre 9/11) and when my money ran out it ran out. I was on my own after that.

Frailer
05-17-13, 14:23
My daughter is using my post-9/11 GI Bill now.

The only person who has been able to answer questions and resolve issues was the VA rep at her school. To the best of my knowledge most colleges have these liaisons now; I'd contact the bursar or financial aid office at your school and ask them to steer you in the right direction.

Belmont31R
05-17-13, 16:22
My daughter is using my post-9/11 GI Bill now.

The only person who has been able to answer questions and resolve issues was the VA rep at her school. To the best of my knowledge most colleges have these liaisons now; I'd contact the bursar or financial aid office at your school and ask them to steer you in the right direction.

Our va councilor is in the same office as the TA people but there's only one in the entire college.