PDA

View Full Version : Omaga-3 Madness!

WillBrink
05-17-13, 11:33
This is an excellent review of the recent negative findings on fish oil that’s creating confusion for people via the "don't confuse us with the facts" media. I have gotten many emails asking to clarify the issue, but Dr. Lopez’s article does it so well, I didn't have to! :cool:

Omega-3 Madness: Clarifying Recent Research (http://www.brinkzone.com/general-health/omega-3-madness-clarifying-recent-research/)

By Hector Lopez, MD, CSCS, FAAPMR

Recently, the media seems to have jumped all aboard the anti-fish oil bandwagon full stop.

A recent study published in September of 2012 [1] stated that perhaps fish oil is not that good, and the media is already foaming at the mouth ready to start the finger shaking, and even stating that “the proof is in.” But, is that really so?

In the meantime, here is the video from ABC News
 to watch to give you an idea.

I have been asked for my professional opinion on the recent attention drawn to the September 2012 systematic review and meta-analysis published in the prestigious Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) by Rizos EC et al [1].
As you can imagine, the last couple of days have been very busy answering emails/calls from various stakeholders in the dietary supplement and omega-3 fish oil industries. The stakeholders range from friends and family to fellow scientists and colleagues, to high-level executives and principals of client companies. I have a few things to say about the manner (at times disingenuous) in which the meta-analysis has been misrepresented.

Multiple video segments from major media outlets have even quoted some of their experts as saying,
“they would rather the public spend their money elsewhere as the proof is in with this study.”
Perhaps the media would feel more at ease suggesting that the public consume another box of “whole-grain” yet low fiber, highly processed cereal, “natural fruit juice”, or better yet, “linoleate-rich vegetable oils full of omega-6 fatty acids” (hey they are polyunsaturated too, right)?

I don’t mind that the media shares their opinion, but at the very least, do what is possible to educate the very audience that they are obviously trying to persuade. I find it hard to believe the public would not be interested in some other material facts to allow consumers to make an informed decision, so here are my top 11 facts that the media ignored.

Cont HERE (http://www.brinkzone.com/general-health/omega-3-madness-clarifying-recent-research/)