PDA

View Full Version : help in choosing a barrel for my first build. final piece.

Strykeback
05-17-13, 11:40
Hi guys I had originally started out this build to be lightweight with top quality parts. But I'd also like a bit of accuracy and for it to balance fairly well.
I have a 15" noveske nsr rail with a magpul STR stock.
I had planned to go with a 16" DD lightweight pencil barrel but many have said it would open up groups fairly fast as it got hot so then I started looking into Noveskes N4 and Centurions medium contour as well where they atleast take the extra weight off the end and move it closer to the handguard.

I'd like to take a couple carbine classes as well as it being my do everything gun until funds allow for builds later on.

I don't see myself having any area to go out past 100 yards where I live and don't want it to be extremely muzzle heavy where my small wife won't enjoy shooting it. If she loves it then I have an in for a pinned 14.5 ;)

What would you guys decide,?

Zane1844
05-17-13, 11:45
The barrels you mentioned will do you well since they fit your criteria.

Though with my 16" LW barrel I can still get every shot in the 8" black target at 100 yards easily when the barrel is hot, unless I jerk the trigger and such (I am still learning how to shoot accurately more quickly.) And I can shoot out and hit this 10" plate at 300 yards with a hot barrel.

I am not a great shooter nor that good by any means. So the LW barrel can get hits at distances, I do not go for groups though. If you want tight groups at just 100 yards anything may do.

Strykeback
05-17-13, 12:04
Thanks Zane I see you're in Komifornia as well. What type of LW did you go with?

Zane1844
05-17-13, 12:23
Thanks Zane I see you're in Komifornia as well. What type of LW did you go with?

BCM LW Mid-length.

RGoose
05-17-13, 12:33
Lightweight barrels "opening up" when they get hot is a relative term. You should have no accuracy problems with a LW barrel from a quality manufacturer given your stated purpose.

ericl
05-17-13, 12:54
While I am not a fan of the lightweight barrels, I doubt you are going to have issues with one heating up to the point of ruining accuracy out to 100 yards. Unless you are doing mag dump after mag dump, or on a selct fire lower, it probably isn't a big deal. That said, I think there is more accuracy potential with a medium contour/government contour/M4 profile barrel than in the lightweights. The increase in weight is minimal (not like you are going to a zero taper bull barrel). As far as a well balanced rifle, the top companies are using government profile barrels (carbine and mid-length) and their rifles are well balanced. I would go with a CHF CL barrel from either DD or BravoCompany. Carbine length or mid-length, whatever flavor floats your boat. The mid-length government profile is nice. Either way, good luck and congrats on your first build!

bullittmcqueen
05-17-13, 13:02
A LW profile barrel from BCM or DD will be plenty accurate enough for you. TRIDENT has a video on YouTube shooting steel at over 700 yards with a DD LW barrel and its deadly.

That being said, I still might choose the Noveske out of all the choices you listed.

Strykeback
05-17-13, 13:20
Thanks guys for all the insight. Being that I'm living in California right now and we have the 10 round mag limit there won't be much heating up due to mag dumps. And going with friends out to the forest to practice we wouldn't normally be at long distance but being that this is my first and only AR for a while I figured I ought to get the best components I could find.

Anyone know the weight of the standard quad rail that BCM puts on their mid lengths 16" uppers? I think it was a standard CL barrel that my friend ordered and I helped him put it all together and as soon as I handled it I was thinking it was way too front heavy. Main reason I was after an NSR was that even at 15" I'm still only 11 ounces something including the barrel nut.

I asked Stickman on another forum since his shot of a NSR 15 on a 16 barrel made me want one about barrels and he made a good point that I already invested in the rail might as well get Noveskes barrel. Lol

None of the barrels listed I've seen available so it will probably be a matter of finding what's in stock. DD's stripped barrel price as gone up considerably last few months. When I priced the build last january they were 260 now they are 330 but not even in stock. Rainier has a listing for a N4 already pinned gas block and tube for 450 so if they ever got them back in that might be the better value.

Clem
05-17-13, 14:30
Thanks guys for all the insight. Being that I'm living in California right now and we have the 10 round mag limit there won't be much heating up due to mag dumps. And going with friends out to the forest to practice we wouldn't normally be at long distance but being that this is my first and only AR for a while I figured I ought to get the best components I could find.

Anyone know the weight of the standard quad rail that BCM puts on their mid lengths 16" uppers? I think it was a standard CL barrel that my friend ordered and I helped him put it all together and as soon as I handled it I was thinking it was way too front heavy. Main reason I was after an NSR was that even at 15" I'm still only 11 ounces something including the barrel nut.

I asked Stickman on another forum since his shot of a NSR 15 on a 16 barrel made me want one about barrels and he made a good point that I already invested in the rail might as well get Noveskes barrel. Lol

None of the barrels listed I've seen available so it will probably be a matter of finding what's in stock. DD's stripped barrel price as gone up considerably last few months. When I priced the build last january they were 260 now they are 330 but not even in stock. Rainier has a listing for a N4 already pinned gas block and tube for 450 so if they ever got them back in that might be the better value.

Rogtac has a 14.5 Noveske CL barrel in stock.
They also have a 16 Noveske Recon in stock.
Not exactly what you're looking for, but close.
http://www.rogtac.com/upper-parts/barrels.html?limit=all&manufacturer=Noveske

GSMullins
05-27-13, 19:40
Hi guys I had originally started out this build to be lightweight with top quality parts. But I'd also like a bit of accuracy and for it to balance fairly well.
I have a 15" noveske nsr rail with a magpul STR stock.
I had planned to go with a 16" DD lightweight pencil barrel but many have said it would open up groups fairly fast as it got hot so then I started looking into Noveskes N4 and Centurions medium contour as well where they atleast take the extra weight off the end and move it closer to the handguard.

I'd like to take a couple carbine classes as well as it being my do everything gun until funds allow for builds later on.

I don't see myself having any area to go out past 100 yards where I live and don't want it to be extremely muzzle heavy where my small wife won't enjoy shooting it. If she loves it then I have an in for a pinned 14.5 ;)

What would you guys decide,?

Green Mountain GM-M5: 16" chrome-lined, 4150 steel, button rifled, 1:7" twist, barrel extension with M4 ramps, threaded for FH. I paid $160 from a LGS, assembled it, and it shot 1" groups at 100 meters with handloads out of the wrapper. So far, it's cycled everything I've fed it: WWB, M855, M193, Wolf WPA, PPU 62 & 69, and multiple handloads. I'd buy another.

Don't worry too much about heat-related accuracy spread: you won't find any training courses that do anything but slow-fire until you reach "advanced" levels, and by the time you get there, you'll know enough about your rifle to adjust.

HTH.

GSM

jaxman7
05-27-13, 21:40
Another option is to get a quality 16" middy barrel with an FSP. Shave the FSP and there is your pinned gas block. May open up some options for you if can't find what your looking for. I wouldn't sweat the barrel choice. Buy from a reputable company and move on. Sounds to me like a LW may be a good choice for ya.

I'll rarely if ever squeeze every last bit of accuracy out of my DD or BCM barrel but I know they are quality and that's what matters to me.

-Jax

First build---stay away from 14.5" barrels at first. Leave the ability to change things around as you try new things out. Kinda difficult to do that if your muzzle device is practically welded to your barrel. ;)

Strykeback
05-28-13, 04:14
Another option is to get a quality 16" middy barrel with an FSP. Shave the FSP and there is your pinned gas block. May open up some options for you if can't find what your looking for. I wouldn't sweat the barrel choice. Buy from a reputable company and move on. Sounds to me like a LW may be a good choice for ya.

I'll rarely if ever squeeze every last bit of accuracy out of my DD or BCM barrel but I know they are quality and that's what matters to me.

-Jax

First build---stay away from 14.5" barrels at first. Leave the ability to change things around as you try new things out. Kinda difficult to do that if your muzzle device is practically welded to your barrel. ;)

Fully agree on not going 14.5 pinned. I have a rainier XTC to try on whichever 16" I decide. If I get my wife to enjoy the AR Il try and convince her to let me build her a 14.5 for the house for her or even going shorter with a pistol build.

It seems a LW isn't going to show any accuracy over heat issues before getting past 100 yards. Il save the accuracy and a heavy barrel for one day a 308 build if they are still allowed then but I think the quicker lighter barrel is the best route for the first one. That said if I can find a noveske n4 16" I'm grabbing it

Thanks all for the insight.

Ostdarva
05-28-13, 08:44
You can't go wrong with a BCM Barrel.. especially a SOCOM model.
This is what I just put on mine and I love it:
In stock for $239.00
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-M4-Barrel-Stripped-SOCOM-p/bcm-brl-s-m4%20socom%2016%20std.htm

Achilles11B
05-28-13, 14:56
One more vote for BCM here, you can't go wrong with any of their offerings.

K1tt3n5
05-28-13, 19:28
I need to pick up one of those barrels!

Ostdarva
05-28-13, 20:41
The barrel is awesome! I have such a tight grouping with it at 100 yards. Can't wait to bust it out at 200 yards

Strykeback
05-29-13, 01:35
The barrel is awesome! I have such a tight grouping with it at 100 yards. Can't wait to bust it out at 200 yards

What is the weight on that Socom? Bravo doesn't list weight on any barrel and I was making this build more of a lightweight.

I don't see the option for an already pinned gas block and gas tube with the barrel.

Ostdarva
05-29-13, 08:48
I'm not sure on the weight. The weight of a (16") barrel never really affects me but if it is something that will bother you,

These are both Cold Hammer Forged Barrels.
Here is a 16" Lightweight with Mid Length Gas ;
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-BFH-16-Mid-Length-LW-Barrel-Stripped-p/bcm-brl-s-mid-16lw%20bfh.htm

Here is the same lightweight barrel with a Carbine Length Gas;
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-16-LIGHT-WEIGHT-Barrel-Stripped-p/bcm-brl-car%2016lw%20%20std.htm

You will have to get your own gas block. If you buy a BCM gas block make sure that it is the correct diameter for your barrel. Gas block and tube installation is super easy!

If you are more of a fragile person I suggest going with a shorter barrel in length. But remember the shorter barrel you go the more it will affect the bullet velocity.

markm
05-29-13, 08:59
In my opinion, Noveske barrels are a Rip Off. I've shot a lot of them, and they're never junk, but never has one really impressed me.

They're certainly NOT worth twice the price of other barrels. You're not getting a bad product, you're just way overpaying for a good one.

And agreed with all the 100 yard comments and the sissy weight barrel being plenty good enough.